Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:17:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 346
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Revising HIV's history  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Dachshund

Revising HIV's history
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:23:30 pm »
I was going to post this in research, but I didn't want it lost in the um, er, well let's just say I didn't want it lost. It's a fascinating, easy read on how how long HIV has been around. http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2008/625/1

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: Revising HIV's history
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:07:38 pm »
There are many theories over the HIV Origins

Depending on whom you ask, the origin of HIV lies with monkey hunters in Africa or with a polio vaccine given to people in the Congo in the 1950s.

Others theories includes at least:

- The Contaminated Needle Theory
- The Colonialism Theory
- The Conspiracy Theory

There is also a theory about the mass spreading of HIV - Patient Zero (*)
(*) repudiated four years after the publication of Randy Shilts article by Dr. Darrow

Etc..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 05:02:08 pm by John2038 »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:27:59 pm »
Thanks for the history lesson of theories John. We're quite familiar with Randy Shilts. For your own history lesson I suggest you read his book And The Band Played On.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:55:18 pm »
No your suggestions thanks.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:43:10 pm »
John, did you even read the article the link provided?  It was very interesting.  Also, I have to agree with Dachsund.  If you're going to talk about Randy Shilts, you really should read his book "And The Band Played On."  I own the movie, and it's one of the best.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 09:14:38 pm »

I think John might think that Daschund was being sarcastic, which caused John to become defensive, as he has had difficult times here in the past.  That's just my view, maybe I am confused.
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:16 pm »
 ::)

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:04:02 pm »
I think John might think that Daschund was being sarcastic, which caused John to become defensive, as he has had difficult times here in the past.  That's just my view, maybe I am confused.

Yes, yes you are, but thanks ever so much for explaining what I meant. Now that's sarcasm. Dripping with it.

John knew exactly what he was doing and his difficult times are of his own making.

Now if you would like to discuss the article in Science Magazine, I would be more than happy to oblige.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:05:50 pm by Dachshund »

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:30:01 am »
"By comparing the two sequences with more recent ones, Gemmel was able to show that HIV-1 first entered humans about 1908, not 1931, as earlier analyses with just the 1959 sample found. Her analysis also indicates that the virus existed in low levels in humans until the middle of the 20th century. "That matches the rise of population centers," Gemmel explained, suggesting that urbanization around that time paved the way for the AIDS epidemic."

Great find, Dachshund. Thanks for posting the link.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 06:41:12 am »
~wanders down the corridor with her med trolly full of chill pills~

ahem....
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 11:08:47 am »
It's great to see science vindicating indigenous oral histories!  One of my favorite professors as an undergraduate was a researcher on the oral history of East African women, particularly as passed down in brothels and elsewhere among sex workers.  She had asserted in the early 1980s that "slim" was not uncommon in that population by World War II and had appeared during World War I.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline darwin

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:17:51 pm »
Wait... so... according to the latest and greatest.... this year is HIV-1's 100th birthday!  HIV is a centenarian! 

It's an interesting narrative...  to think of HIV, "slim", quietly navigating human societies for much of the 20th century, until the age when cities became more crowded, needles became popular, and weak mucus barriers became widely exposed. 
October 2007 - Chose love/stupidity over protection
23 April - Diagnosed
30 April - CD4: 364/22.1% VL: 2,198
11 July - Started Viramune/Truvada
13 August - Undetectable

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.