Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:09:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 217
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: chronic loose stool since bout with lgv  (Read 3510 times)

Offline positivmat

chronic loose stool since bout with lgv
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:31:37 am »
I have been having chronic loose stool since i picked up a rectal lgv infection.  I was on two courses of antibiotics for a total of 30 days.  Before i realized i was infected, i suffered from loose stool movements (only needed to go once a day).  However, since treatment,  i have still not been able to get regular for the past three months.  I just had a colonoscopy and ruled out anything there.  My gastroenterologist said that there was no detectable inflammation up there, he removed a few polyps.  I have been eating yogurt and taking probiotics for a while now.   

I have been on atripla for 4 1/2 years and these last six months have not been pleasant.  My other ID doesn't think it is medication related.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what could help me slow down my motility issues.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: chronic loose stool since bout with lgv
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:59:48 am »
Keeping up with the yogurt and a probiotic is the right course , you may want to include fiber and rice into your diet as well . You can take Imodium with every watery stool as well .

A few years ago I got some kind of bug in my gut and despite many doctors best efforts we never figured what was causing my diarrhea , it took months for me to get my tummy back in shape . You know what caused yours so it just may be a while longer until you are back on track . 

Check out this link ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline positivmat

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:31:18 pm »
ok - thanks Jeff

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:34:53 am »
There's also the possibility that your lgv triggered hiv-related diarrhea. Any localised infection can cause an increase of hiv activity in that area, such as is the case of having an STI increase your seminal viral load.

The gut is one of the reservoirs where hiv can hide from the meds, so being on hiv meds isn't going to do much for hiv-related diarrhea. I've dealt with this for years and going on meds didn't change a thing where that's concerned.

And again, it still may improve in time, as Jeff suggests. In the meantime, talk to your doctor about using loperimide aka Immodium. You can get it over the counter, but it's always best to talk to your doctor first.

Good luck. Dire-rear certainly is a pain in the nether-regions, as I know all too well.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline positivmat

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:23:44 pm »
Thank you Ann - tomorrow, I am going in to get an endoscopy and talk with my gastro dr.   I will ask him about immodium.  I have been reading some of the hiv gut flora discussions.  Interesting stuff - and definitely a pain in the rear.  I have noticed an occasional green tint to my stuff - so i will be asking him about bile acid malabsorption which can be caused by gut damage from a bacterial infection.  It's not a condition commonly approved for testing in the U.S., but appears to be getting some attention in the U.K.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:04 am »
Good luck, Mat, I hope the endoscopy gives you some answers.

Let us know what happens, ok? Thanks. Your experience may help others down the road.
(And besides, I'm nosey! ;D I care too.)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:42:16 pm »
This is most likey an after effect of the LGV .. if it started with  the LGV. Time is the best healer - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline positivmat

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:39:26 pm »
well the colonoscopy biopsy was fine and the endoscopy appears to be ok.   The good news is that the immodium has brought a degree of normalcy to my life!  thanks for that Ann - what a relief.   The gastro dr is holding out that this may be a case of microscopic colitis -

I agree with you Newt - I think that this is an after effect of the lgv -  It's been about 10 months since i had a normal movement - i am just hoping that time and immodium get me back to regularity
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:41:32 pm by positivmat »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:50 am »
I'm really glad to hear the Immodium has made your dire-rear a little less dire. :)

Fingers crossed here that it subsides completely in time.

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.