Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 154
Total: 155

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Forum/Aidsmeds Suggestions for Mods  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Cliff

Forum/Aidsmeds Suggestions for Mods
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:43:55 pm »
There was a thread in the old forums that had suggestions for the site.  I have a few more (mainly about the new forums):

1.  Why does the entire thread stay on a single page?  Can there be a limit to how many responses or the size of a page, with clickable links to other pages as a thread grows?

2.  Is there a way to include a max on the size of a photo to be pasted inside a message (and then a removal of the soft ban on images)?  Attachments are okay, but if you want a pic to make a specific point at a specific place in your message, the attachment feature isn't as useful.  Can you even have a fix installed that will automatically re-size/shape the photo to fit within the guidelines?

3.  Improve the buddy feature.  Maybe the buddy feature could not only bold the person's name (which I find useless), but also have it point out there postings or highlight their postings as you comb through the forums.

4.  I don't like that the forums show who is viewing which boards and topics.  It seems like an invasion of privacy (okay maybe an overstatement).

5.  Maybe this is available but for those who use Google Talk (as opposed to Yahoo and MSN), can there be a link to Google talk profiles?

6.  We should be able to ignore both members and threads.  In the previous forum, if you had a member on ignore, you could still see movements in their threads but it wouldn't read very well cause of blocking of various messages.  That tempts you into unblocking the member.  Maybe if you could ignore the thread too that would reduce that temptation.

8.  Where’s the new (and much improved, I hope) chat room?

9.  Color options please!  This dull blue, gray combination is making the voices inside my head tell me to kill someone.  Save a life and allow us to change the color schemes, please.

10.  We should be able to recall PMs that haven't been reviewed by the member yet.  For those times when you send something but change your mind.

Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Forum/Aidsmeds Suggestions for Mods
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 08:30:27 am »
1. The forum was originally set to only show something like 20 responses per page, but it was changed to 100 when someone mentioned in the Testing Forum about having to click through pages. Maybe we can have a happy medium of 50?

2. There already is a limit on picture size but I don't know if this can be reduced. The "soft ban" on embedded pictures is only for information based threads and how often would a picture be useful in one of those anyway? In cases where one might, an attachment should suffice. This "soft ban" is in place to enable dial-up users to access information without having to wait ages for a thread to download because someone decided to post a funny pic to the thread. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but a guideline put in place as a courtesy to our dial-up members.

3. Um, I don't know and can't comment.

4. You can always view topics while not logged in. If you wish to reply, it is very simple with this software to log in on the page you want to reply to and log back out again. I don't know if this can be changed.

5. Again, I don't know and can't comment. I didn't know there was such a thing as Google Talk. :o

6 - 9... technical points that will have to go to Peter, like 3 & 5.

10. PMs are a bit like emails. You need to make sure you want to say what you've said BEFORE you hit send. :D

My comments are just that, my comments and my own personal take on the subjects you raise, Cliff. I wanted to make that clear.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Biggums

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 12:10:04 pm »
Mods,

I do not have any suggestions for improvement really but just wanted to say that overall I like the new forum, especially the spell checker!  Thanks for all the hard work you guys do.  This thing could be two tin cans and a piece of string and it would still be far better than what I had before which was nothing.
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 12:16:46 pm »
Thanks Ann!

Here's a link to Google Talk.  http://www.google.com/talk/  The good feature about it is that you can make voice calls (for free) to other Google Talk members.  I think they all do that now, but I have never tried it on anything but Google.

The forum was originally set to only show something like 20 responses per page, but it was changed to 100 when someone mentioned in the Testing Forum about having to click through pages. Maybe we can have a happy medium of 50?
50 seems like a happy medium.  Sometimes I have to access the website from dial-up (at a client site that refuse to let me on their network) and it takes a while to download the popular threads because there are so many responses on the page (I didn't even know there was a 100 limit, I guess we haven't had any reach that level yet, at least not any I've seen).

There already is a limit on picture size but I don't know if this can be reduced. The "soft ban" on embedded pictures is only for information based threads and how often would a picture be useful in one of those anyway? In cases where one might, an attachment should suffice. This "soft ban" is in place to enable dial-up users to access information without having to wait ages for a thread to download because someone decided to post a funny pic to the thread. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but a guideline put in place as a courtesy to our dial-up members.
If you attach a photo does it take up space on the server?  When I include photos in my messages it's usually just a link to the site where the photo is housed and so I assume that is more efficient (cost effective) for the forums (though still instrusive for dial-up folks).

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 08:03:02 pm »

This "soft ban" is in place to enable dial-up users to access information without having to wait ages for a thread to download because someone decided to post a funny pic to the thread. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but a guideline put in place as a courtesy to our dial-up members.

Hello Ann,

And I should say that it is working very well. I am on dial-up, and the threads are loading very fast. My connection speed is almost always 45.3 KBS

It's working great, But I am still trying to figure everything out--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline carousel

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 06:58:39 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:56:07 pm by carousel »

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 08:16:56 am »
My biggest peeve on here is that the back button does not return you to the thread you were on last. You always end up back at the top of the page.
This to me is frustrating and is making this forum difficult to  use.
I would like to see it leave you back to the thread you were on so you don't have to constantly scroll down the page.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:57:23 am »
Cliff, et al.:

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  Unfortunately, the forums are going to stay "as is" for a while at least.  Our programmers have their plates full with attempting to move each section of AIDSmeds.com (the lessons, the drug pages, Graph My Labs, Check My Meds, the blogs, etc.) over to the POZ servers (AIDSmeds was on a Windows server, and POZ uses Linux servers, so the transfers are very complex).

I also don't want to start rewriting the new forums software code until SMF (our new forums software) releases their final version 1.1 (we're using a pre-release version at this time).

Maybe near the end of 2006, after everyone is used to the new software, we can all start discussing possible custom rewrites to improve things.

I'm sorry for this situation, but believe it or not, we're in a better situation that we used to be.  I didn't upgrade the old forums for YEARS (except for adding the user banning feature), because I didn't have the resources or programming staff (just freelancers).  Once AIDSmeds is moved and working well on the Linux servers, we can start exploring other options.

Peter

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 10:06:31 am »
Peter

Thanks for the update.

Let me just say that I personally think you've handled this transition beautifully.

I have no idea what was required behind the scenes but I am certain it was complex, challenging, and required massive amounts of time.

Those efforts have paid off in my observation.

Kudos to you, the programmers, and everyone who helped make the change.

RAB

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 10:52:14 am »
Peter,

Thanks for the update.  Sometimes it's easy to forget that life doesn't run in a vaccum, (i.e., other issues you guys have to worry about). 

I agree with Rocky, you guys have done one heck of job with this thing, (especially with the timing of the merger).   It's easy to sit on the outside and demand, demand, demand...so my hats off to you guys.

Cliff
- Who needs to find a way to tell those voices that unfortunately the blue/gray combo stays.  They won't be happy, but they'll live.  They always do.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 01:01:07 pm »
personally, I like being able to see what individual users are doing.

I find it quite useful to check before logging off or going to do something else to see if somebody is reading or responding to particular threads at the moment, especially if theire is an ongoing discourse

I do not find it intrusive in the least

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.