Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:25:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 464
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Things to see and do in Mexico City  (Read 8904 times)

Offline allanq

Things to see and do in Mexico City
« on: February 08, 2008, 05:15:59 pm »
Maybe it's a little early to be thinking about this, but putting out possibilities of things to see and do in Mexico City might help people decide to go.

Here are a few suggestions, and I hope others will add their own ideas. Input from people familiar with Mexico City would be especially valuable.

- A group walk. We could probably hire a local English-speaking guide or even do our own walk by following an itinerary from a tour guide like Frommer's or Fodor's.

- Book a bus tour of the city to get an overall feel for the city.

- Visit Teotihuacán and the Pyramid of the Sun.

- Go to a Sunday performance of the Ballet Folklórico.

Allan

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Things to see and do in Mexico City
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:00:03 am »
Hi Allan

I have been looking through a few sites on Mexico city and there is so many wonderful things to see.

The Pyramid of the sun..amazing
Metropolitan Cathedral..looks wonderful
The Z calo Plaza..lots of historical buildings and a great place if you like sit for coffee and people watch.
The Canals...and so much more.
I even checked out some hotels and the prices are so cheap..a lot cheaper than I thought.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:36:13 am »
_The Frida Kahlo Museum features her colorful home and her artwork.
_The Diego Rivera Museum features many of his works. His works can also be found in churches throughout Mexico City.
_The Anthropology Museum has many galleries of exhibits and one of the best MesoAmerican collection of artifacts. It takes 2 to 3 days to see all properly. It's huge.
_Plaza de Garibaldi, 5 blocks north of the Palacio de Bellas Artes -- up Avenida Lázaro Cárdenas, at Avenida República de Honduras. Mariachi players are everywhere in the plaza. At every corner, guitars are stacked together like rifles in an army camp. Young musicians strut proudly in their outfits, on the lookout for señoritas to impress. They play when they feel like it, when there's a good chance to gather some tips, or when someone orders a song -- the going rate is $1.50 to $3.25 per song. Note: There are also individuals/gangs awaiting in the side streets. Garibaldi Square--it's now known as much for chronic street crime as for music. Take an authorized sitio taxi . Metro stops are given merely as a point of reference.
_Xochimilco: A water garden. Everyone should experience Xochimilco.
_Living Club located on Paseo de la Reforma. The biggest gay club in the continent has several areas with different music. You'll find boys and girls and many beautiful ones. Great balcony!

*Take an authorized sitio taxi or hire a car for transportation to/from all nightspots, as well as, tourist attactions off the main thoroughfares. Especially in evenings/at night. Metro stops are given merely as a point of reference.
Don't forget this bit of valuable advice.  ;D

I discovered the same as Jan. Affordable accommodations without having to haggle for a decent rate.........especially the quaint, colonial styled with 30 to 50 rooms. One neighborhood hotel I researched didn't have TV's in the rooms. It's not the norm but I thought it unique and a welcomed omission.

P.S. Alan is a 'pro' at tour walks. Hire HIM to do tours.  I missed the one he did in San Francisco (went to Muir Woods) but I heard it was exceptional. :)

MikeM
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 05:55:07 am by mjmel »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:41:46 am »
Sounds like a plan is beginning to form... is there yet a concensus on the dates?   has Dennis accepted the job of coordinator again?     

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Dan J.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:28:32 pm »
Is there a place that would be fitting for our annual AMG Memorial Service?

We need to do something special for Christine.

Dan

Offline allanq

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 04:20:14 pm »
Dan,

I did an internet search and couldn't find any AIDS memorial parks or monuments in Mexico city, but I wonder if if it would be possible to use a chapel in the Metropolitan Cathedral for a memorial service. I have no idea on how to go about requesting permission for this, but maybe someone more familiar with such matters knows how to do this.

Mexico City Cathedral

Allan

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 04:33:28 pm »
Thanks Allan! That looks like the perfect place for the memorial service!

Dan

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »
I'm sure we will find somewhere, i know I would love to visit the Cathedral.

Don't worry Dan Christine and James will never be forgotten..or left out of our memorial services.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.