Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:35:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 218
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Megace and the Depo Shot  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Megace and the Depo Shot
« on: February 24, 2007, 03:07:43 am »
Just got a question about Megace or rather something to replace it...Hell, let me just tell the damn story then you will see what I mean. I had went to my primary doc back in January and a discussion got started because I am building a tolerance to the weed I've been getting and I told my doctor this. He suggested megace for appetite stimulation but wasn't quite sure if it would mix well with the depo shots I get every 3 months. I went to my gyn last week for the shot and the gyn says it's a no go cause the 2 don't mix. Anyone got any other suggestions?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: Megace and the Depo Shot
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 04:43:56 pm »
Hey Queen,

I guess since the dope isn't doing it for you, taking Marinol wouldn't work either.  Someone I know was losing weight last fall, one doctor put him on Megace and it worked real well.  Then a new doctor a couple weeks later said she preferred Marinol over the Megace and the Marinol also worked well.  But since the weed isn't working for you, maybe the Marinol might not either.

As for using Megace with depo, I am sure your gyn knows best, but I looked at the Megace web page and it said this about use with other meds:

"Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. When you are taking a progestin, it is especially important that your health care professional know if you are taking any of the following:

* Aminoglutethimide (e.g., Cytadren) or
    * Carbamazepine (e.g., Tegretol) or
    * Phenobarbital or
    * Phenytoin (e.g., Dilantin) or
    * Rifabutin (e.g., Mycobutin) or
    * Rifampin (e.g., Rifadin, Rimactane)"

If no other solution is found I wonder if your gyn would be willing to give the Megace a try?

Good luck - hope ya find something that works well for you
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:00:13 pm »
Queen.....Thing is....this question illustrates why doctors have to know the difference between the male and the female reactions to Megace ...and all the other HIV stuff.  It is not the same for men and women. 
modified to say:
 Megace is a hormonal treatment.  I googled MEGACE and :  "MEGACE ® (megestrol acetate) Oral Suspension contains megestrol acetate, a synthetic derivative of the naturally occurring steroid hormone, progesterone. "
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:57:16 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:29:04 pm »
I'm not sure why he doesn't want me to take the megace, the gyn that is. But I received a letter saying not to take it. At my next appointment I will be sure to ask why. I have tried the marinol and it sucks for me, nothing happens. If these are my only 2 options then I guess I'm going to have to find some better weed.

Bear, Was Kurt's sex drive the only thing affected? If that was the case then I could possibly live with that because I don't have no sex life now. Don't see it happening in the future but you know what they say, never say never..
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:31 am »
Queen....I'll ask him and get back to you. 

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 01:06:32 pm »
Hi
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. It was NOT megase that Kurt disliked because of the side effects. It was anabolic steroids (taken as injections).  I dont know who was taking megase.  My memory just aint what it used to be.
Kurt said he lost libido his testicles shrank and his personality was more aggressive..... on the steroids.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 01:08:43 pm by bear60 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 01:43:55 pm »
My libido increased 10 fold.  I was climbing the walls, humping extra large dildos and luring men over via chat rooms.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 02:16:44 pm »
Hi Queen,

The reason behind your doctor saying "no" to megace may be your diabetes.

From http://www.megacees.com/ :

Clinical cases of new onset diabetes mellitus, exacerbation of pre-existing diabetes mellitus, and overt Cushing's Syndrome have been reported in association with the chronic use of megestrol acetate.

From http://www.drugs.com/cons/Megace_Systemic.html :

Other medical problems-The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of progestins. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:

*Asthma or

*Epilepsy (or history of) or

*Heart or circulation problems or

*Kidney disease (severe) or

*Migraine headaches-Progestins may cause fluid build-up and may cause these conditions to become worse

*Bleeding problems, undiagnosed, such as blood in urine or changes in vaginal bleeding-May make diagnosis of these problems more difficult

*Blood clots (or history of) or

*Stroke (or history of) or

*Varicose veins-May have greater chance of causing blood clots if these conditions are already present when high doses of progestins are taken

*Breast disease (such as breast lumps or cysts) (history of)-May make this condition worse in certain types of diseases that do not react in a positive way to progestins

*Central nervous system (CNS) disorders, such as mental depression (or history of) or

*High blood cholesterol-Effects of progestins may cause these conditions, or may make these conditions worse

*Diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes)-May cause an increase in your blood sugar and a change in the amount of medicine you take for diabetes; progestins in high doses are more likely to cause this problem

*Liver disease-Effects of progestins may be increased and may make this condition worse

*Other conditions that increase the chances for osteoporosis (brittle bones)-Since it is possible that certain doses of progestins may cause temporary thinning of the bones by changing your hormone balance, it is important that your doctor know if you have an increased risk of osteoporosis. Some things that can increase your risk for having osteoporosis include cigarette smoking, abusing alcohol, taking or drinking large amounts of caffeine, and having a family history of osteoporosis or easily broken bones. Some medicines, such as glucocorticoids (cortisone-like medicines) or anticonvulsants (seizure medicine), can also cause thinning of the bones. However, it is thought that progestins can help protect against osteoporosis in postmenopausal women

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 03:46:31 pm »
Hello, If I read this right, you can't get high. i don't know anything about Marinol and megace. I did take the depo shot for several years and it worked well but made me gain weight. i do know a little about smoke though,since i have smoked since i was 13 and am 34 now. go get some better weed. I go through spells where i can't get high, usually it's cause my smoke is not that great. but it might be an interaction. usually if I can't get high I switch to a better quality.  hope  it gets better for you.  Cristy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.