Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:13:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 397
Total: 397

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP Watch List Updates February 2012  (Read 6245 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
ADAP Watch List Updates February 2012
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:14:52 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of February 2, 2012
4,575 individuals in 12 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama119+41
Florida908-224
Georgia1,239-81
Idaho40
Louisiana**690+19
Montana8-3
Nebraska43+20
North Carolina137+1
Ohio00
South Carolina255+31
Utah00
Virginia1,100-3

ADAP Feb. 3rd Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program. This number is a representation of their current unmet need.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Re: ADAP Watch List Updates February 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:11:13 pm »
(this issue of ADAP Watch was filled with a lot of information about cost containment and ADAP clients. I've included most of this information in this posting. For charts, graphs and more information, plase visit http://nastad.org for the complete ADAP Watch PDF file (link below))

As of February 9, 2012, there were 4,118 individuals on AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) waiting lists in 12 states. This is a 38 percent decrease from the 6,595 individuals on the November 2011 ADAP Watch. Eighteen ADAPs, including 10 with current waiting lists, have instituted addition cost-containment measures since April 1, 2009 (reported as of February 1, 2012). In addition, six ADAPs, including one with a current waiting list, reported they are considering implementing new or additional cost-containment measures by the end of ADAP’s current fiscal year (March 31, 2012).

For clients on ADAP waiting lists who are currently on or in need of medications, 11 ADAP waiting list states confirm that ADAP waiting list clients are receiving medications through either pharmaceutical company patient assistance programs (PAPs), Welvista, or other mechanisms available within the state.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of February 9, 2012
4,118 individuals in 12 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama1190
Florida850-130
Georgia906-333
Idaho2-2
Louisiana**672-18
Montana12+4
Nebraska86+43
North Carolina136-1
Ohio00
South Carolina2550
Utah00
Virginia1,080-20

ADAP Feb. 9th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program. This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

ADAPs with Other Cost-containment Strategies: Financial Eligibility
(445 individuals in 6 states, as of February 1, 2012)
StateLowered Financial EligibilityDisenrolled Clients
Arkansas500% to 200% FPL99 clients (September 2009)
Illinois500% to 300% FPLGrandfathered in current clients from 301-500% FPL
North Dakota400% to 300% FPLGrandfathered in current clients from 301-400% FPL
Ohio500% to 300% FPL257 clients (July 2010)
South Carolina550% to 300% FPLGrandfathered in current clients from 301-550% FPL
Utah400% to 250% FPL89 clients (September 2009)

Waiting List Client Demographics:
African Americans and Hispanics represent 62% (49% and 13%, respectively) of clients
Combined, Asians, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders and Alaskan Native/American Indians represent approximately 2%
Multi-racial ADAP clients represent 1% of the total ADAP waiting list population.
Non-Hispanic whites comprise 23% of clients on ADAP waiting lists.

Almost three-quarters (74%) of ADAP clients on waiting lists are men.
One quarter (25%) of ADAP waiting list clients are women.

Factors Leading to Implementation of Cost-containment Measures:
ADAPs reported the following factors contributing to consideration or implementation of cost containment measures:
*  Level federal funding awards (16 ADAPs)
*  Higher demand for ADAP services as a result of increased unemployment (16 ADAPs)
*  Increased demand for ADAP services due to comprehensive HIV testing efforts (15 ADAPs)
*  Escalating drug costs (12 ADAPs)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:54:50 am »

Almost three-quarters (74%) of ADAP clients on waiting lists are men.
One quarter (25%) of ADAP waiting list clients are women.

Who makes up the leftover 1%? Children?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:58:41 am »
Who makes up the leftover 1%? Children?
hmm. interesting question. the report doesn't say; but since it's speaking about gender then perhaps the 1% are those trans-sexuals who might not quite fit either gender description at the time of reporting. (especially since children should fit into either the male or female categories ;) just younger than "men" or "women") Or maybe gender was not a stat tracked for everyone, so there was 1% left-over of people who neither reported/identitifed themselves as either sex.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:22:18 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of February 16, 2012
4,329 individuals in 12 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama39-80
Florida94999
Georgia1011105
Idaho31
Louisiana**69220
Montana9-3
Nebraska14357
North Carolina1415
Ohio00
South Carolina27621
Utah00
Virginia1,066-14

ADAP Feb. 17th Watch List

State budgeting time is almost upon us again, so for those in a state with a Waiting List please consider contacting the Representatives and Senators in your state (especially those in your district and those on the medical and finance committees) and asking for full funding for ADAP. The most important points to remind them of is that treatment with medications costs less than caring for patients in the hospital with AIDS, and that treatment will help reduce the spread of HIV.

My advocacy group from my ASO went to the SC State house this past week and spoke with several of our Senators. Not only did we request that they fully fund ADAP this year; but we needed to thank them for their actions last year. After the House defunded ADAP and the governor vetoed that budget, the Senators gave ADAP money and included a recurring $3mill for the next 5 years.

For the Senators that weren't present that day, we went to their offices and spoke to their staff. Everyone, Senators or staff, that we spoke to received a folder with a fact sheet about HIV medications and the costs in our state along with a profile sheet about our ASO and our contact information. To sweeten the deal (since I'm not a lobbyist and can't "bribe" the legislators LOL), I gave out small containers of home-baked cookies with red-icing "HIV awareness ribbons" on top.;) Hopefully the way to a Republican's icy cold budget-chopping heart is through their sweet tooth. LOL

While waiting on our Senators to come out from session and talk with us, we spent quite some time talking with a lobbyist (a rep from Gilead, employed by a local hospital with a large HIV clinic), who was there to talk about ADAP funding also. He gave us quite a lot of tips about exactly who to speak with and what to say.

Earlier in the week, our state HIV Task Force held it's annual board election meeting, where I was very surprised to be nominated and elected to the board as Communications Chair. I'll have a lot of work on my plate starting into this position already. Founded 6 years ago, the task force hasn't taken advantage of any social media or even put together a website. Along with getting us set up on the web, we'll be hosting some sort of rally next month about the ADAP budget so there'll be posters, press releases and a lot of planning communications going on that I'll have to deal with. I'm excited though and already working on multiple related projects this weekend.

Remember, if you're in a state with a Waiting List, please take some time to call or write your legislators and ask them to properly fund ADAP. Or better yet, hook up with an ASO, task force or community group and go in force to show that citizens are concerned. Take part in trying to influence how your state is run and how it helps it's citizens. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:57 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of February 23, 2012
4,251 individuals in 11 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama0-39
Florida1085136
Georgia107261
Idaho30
Louisiana**440-252
Montana101
Nebraska16724
North Carolina1454
Ohio00
South Carolina2826
Utah00
Virginia1047-19

ADAP Feb. 124th Watch List

From Julie M. Scofield (exe director NASTAD) via Britten Pund (NASTAD)

Since the release of final FY2011 Ryan White grant awards in September 2011, including $40 million in ADAP emergency relief funding for states with waiting lists or other cost-containment measures in place, some ADAPs were able to reduce the overall number of individuals on their waiting list.  The number of individuals on waiting lists has decreased 53 percent since a high of 9,298 individuals on September 1, 2011.  However, as states have  removed individuals from their waiting lists, they have continued to add new individuals to their program.  In addition, many ADAPs are struggling financially, including those without any cost-containment measures currently in place, and are beginning to anticipate the need for cost-containment measures and waiting lists in the upcoming ADAP FY2012 grant year (beginning April 1, 2012).  As a result of these factors, waiting lists will likely continue to grow until additional funding is received. 

New ADAP grant awards for FY2012, which will include an additional $15 million appropriated by Congress, are anticipated by April 1.  In addition, the $35 million in additional funding that President Obama announced on World AIDS Day has not yet been finalized.  We understand that HRSA is developing a distribution methodology that will require a competitive application by ADAPs.  The funds must be awarded by September 30, 2012, but the timing of release of this funding to states remains unknown.  NASTAD continues to advocate for thoughtful yet swift release of this funding as these awards will impact various cost-containment measures. 

Finally, we have seen positive developments in the FY2013 budget for ADAP.  President Obama released his detailed FY2013 budget proposal on February 13, 2012 which includes a $67 million increase for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) over FY2012 levels, for a total of $1 billion.  The FY2012 ADAP earmark included in the FY2013 budget includes the $35 million announced on World AIDS Day.   

To see information on pharmaceutical company co-payment assistance and patient assistance programs, please visit the Positively Aware website or the Fair Pricing Coalition’s website.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:10:26 pm »
technically while this is the first report out in March, it's of February's numbers so I'm posting it here to close out this month.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of March 1, 2012
3,809 individuals in 11 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Florida687-398
Georgia1025-47
Idaho129
Louisiana**401-39
Montana6-4
Nebraska17912
North Carolina1505
Ohio00
South Carolina32038
Utah00
Virginia1029-18

ADAP Mar. 2nd Watch List
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.