Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 364
Total: 364

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Destroying Blood-Borne Diseases Like AIDS Using Fine-Tuned Lasers  (Read 6444 times)

Offline rickbc

::)
Main Category: Medical Devices News
Article Date: 02 Nov 2007 - 6:00 PDT

Physicists in Arizona State University have designed a revolutionary laser technique which can destroy viruses and bacteria such as AIDS without damaging human cells and may also help reduce the spread of hospital infections such as MRSA.

The research, published on Thursday November 1 in the Institute of Physics' Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, discusses how pulses from an infrared laser can be fine-tuned to discriminate between problem microorganisms and human cells.

Current laser treatments such as UV are indiscriminate and can cause ageing of the skin, damage to the DNA or, at worst, skin cancer, and are far from 100 per cent effective.

Femtosecond laser pulses, through a process called Impulsive Stimulated Raman Scattering (ISRS), produces lethal vibrations in the protein coat of microorganisms, thereby destroying them. The effect of the vibrations is similar to that of high-pitched noise shattering glass.

The physicists in Arizona have undertaken experiments to show that the coherent vibrations excited by infrared lasers with carefully selected wavelengths and pulse widths do no damage to human cells, most likely because of the different structural compositions in the protein coats of human cells vis a vis bacteria and viruses.

Professor K. T. Tsen from Arizona State University said, "Although it is not clear at the moment why there is a large difference in laser intensity for inactivation between human cells and microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses, the research so far suggests that ISRS will be ready for use in disinfection and could provide treatments against some of the worst, often drug-resistant, bacterial and viral pathogens."

Femtosecond lasers could find immediate application in hospitals as a way to disinfect blood supply or biomaterials and for the treatment of blood-borne diseases such as AIDS and Hepatitis.

----------------------------
Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.
----------------------------

Source: Joseph Winters
Institute of Physics
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline emeraldize

Re: Destroying Blood-Borne Diseases Like AIDS Using Fine-Tuned Lasers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »
This sounds interesting. Thanks for posting.

Offline bimazek

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:56:34 pm »
I am so happy about this development.  As someone who studied electrical engineering which includes alot on lasers and electromagnetic energy, i always felt that there must be a way to tune the frequency to destroy the hiv without destroying the host.  I told friends over the years the last 25 years but never had the chance to dig into it so i feel happy about this, i will research

Impulsive Stimulated Raman Scattering

if i remember raman is a type of a math series kind of like a scale in music raman scattering
i will find out more and post
my guess is that if this ever comes out it would be first done with mrsa because that is localized
then ten years later it would be like dialysis
eventually it could be made small enough to have a filter in the arm that kills enough to keep the blood clean with out meds --  think of how much volume of a liquid or air a filter can filter and still not full up the filter
this is long term for treatment but a great thing

ok five minutes later, i read enough of these posts to understand this...

basically it is simple two or more pulses of light that are very very close in frequency that when sent out at same time they interact and cause kind of little explosive bursts from the interactions of the two waves

kind of like the opera soprano who breaks the glass, the resonance of the glass but also the interactions of all the waves from all the sounds in many directions

same thing here, the little pulses are tuned to the glass frequency of the hiv viral wall or coating
then when the two light waves hit they are out of frequency and have a harsh piercing effect of out of tune light so to speak

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Impulsive+Stimulated+Raman+Scattering&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
lots of boring science on this link...
if you have a million dollars and you want to fund something that could work someday this would be worth it

ten min. later

femtosecond laser

http://www.nims.go.jp/ldynamics/CP.html

http://www.nims.go.jp/ldynamics/HS.html

these two links from japan... they are all over this stuff
very interesting...

this says that a
femtosecond laser

http://www.imra.com/products-lasers.html

this one is cool and exactly what they are talking about but very bulky

http://www.cmxr.com/Scientific/IMPULSE.htm?gclid=CJG8hq2qwo8CFRIUagodAzFaYA
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:16:41 am by bimazek »

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 04:48:32 am »
Problem is, HIV incorporates its genetic material into the host cell's DNA. While this method may work in a test tube with free floating virions, I can't see how this laser would distinguish between infected and not-infected cells or even clear complete organs like the brain. Nice idea, but not very realistic in my humble opinion.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline northernguy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 10:24:29 pm »
I can't read it without hearing Dr.Evil talking about destroying HIV with "lasers" ;)
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Esquare

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 10:35:39 pm »
I can't read it without hearing Dr.Evil talking about destroying HIV with "lasers" ;)

LOL :D

Offline bimazek

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 09:47:26 pm »

35,000 people die each year from MRSA bacteria infection, many of them are probably late stage hiv, when the bacterias start getting into the blood,

and this is interesting, cause i always wondered this and i just found out a week ago, because a woman who is a top researcher discovered that a bacteria by itself is not dangerous but when they start to multiple the real danger moment for the body is they create a special film around themselves that the body cannot penetrate and they also talk to each other communicate to say, ramp up reproduction and producition of toxins and such

well this woman has found ways to stop the special film creation and also stop the communication signals that tell bacteria to take over... so these are new drugs which will be out in a decade

but back to lazers

if the unit was small enough it could be placed under the skin with a battery operated unit.

the energy used is very very small,

it may help very sick very resistant viruses in guys who have very very good insurance.

also it could be used in a room to disinfect

maybe with a mirror ball and this lazer    LOL

seriously

it would work

Offline justice3175

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 01:10:40 am »
So...i'm confused...
Would this be considered a cure???
And how accurate is this if there has not been anyone to test it on?

Honestly, as much as I would love to be hopeful, it seriously sounds like something out of a Michael Crichton novel...

Offline bimazek

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:38:18 am »
this was posted on another post...
this line was expecially amazine

The technology may hit the dermatological marketplace in as soon as 18 months, Schuler added.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-software/20070716/NYM02016072007-1.html
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/06/raydiance?currentPage=1

The laser Tsen uses instead produces a vibration, which shatters the protein coat of microorganisms, he said, and destroys them without causing residual damage to human cells.

The technique could be used against HIV, hepatitis and cancer, as well as for eye and dental surgeries, according to a laser manufacturing company official.

"We have seen it kill cancer cells and leave healthy tissue right next to it undisturbed," said Barry Schuler, chairman of Raydiance, Inc. "We think this is a very exciting frontier. This has a lot of promise for medical technologies."

Raydiance entered into a research agreement with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration earlier this year, Schuler said. The FDA will utilize Raydiance's recently developed compact laser to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of laser-tissue interaction.

The technology may hit the dermatological marketplace in as soon as 18 months, Schuler added.

Schuler said he thinks the laser's first applications could involve treating skin cancer and removing moles.

"What you have people asking is, 'Are there other ways to tackle medical problems like cancer?' Cancer treatment today is pretty barbaric," he added. "We're looking for a cleaner, less toxic treatment."

Schuler said he thinks Tsen's goal of treating HIV with the technology is also attainable.

"I wouldn't say this is the future of treating viruses," he said. "But I would say this is the future of treating disease."

Tsen echoed Schuler and said the new technique could revolutionize the treatment of diseases.

"This technique can be used without side effects," he said. "We are not using any antibiotic drugs, so we don't produce resistant viruses."

Tsen said he would continue testing the technique on HIV through the remainder of the year with his son, Shaw-Wei Tsen, who has been working with him on the project.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:19:16 pm »
This treatment sounds great but, its not new... maybe with better understanding it can possibly be used... but, I recall a time when xrays were used for everything from perfect fitting shoes etc... and was called harmless but, in reality as the years progressed this was not so... Plus hiv hides all over the body not just in the blood it incorporates throughout the lymph system... spinal fluid etc... clorox is known to kill all mrsa's , bacteria, viruses but, is it feasible to shoot up with it... NO! I think with present techknology no... but, who knows in a hundred years it could be possible... too late for me?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.