Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:03:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 320
Total: 322

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Myths of yester year...  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Ody

• Diagnonis 3/86
Myths of yester year...
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:35:40 pm »
In reading another topic in Living with HIV I saw one that made me chuckle at the memories of some of the Myths. I kinda felt like a low life for chuckling at them and wondered how many others where in the same boat with me and where willing to share them or share personal experiences with them.

Here's mine...

There is a bar I used to practically live at, my safe haven. They always had a large assortment of different poppers and had the best prices around. After being introduced to them I partook regularly. One night, planing a sweat dripping night on the dance floor and maybe an interesting evening afterwards, or at least a trip to the taxi cab lot across the street. I went up to the bar to get my coke, I was to young to drink yet, and bottle of poppers, there was a giant empty space where they once sat. I ask Cliff the bar tender for a bottle, where ever they where. I figured the old thing had moved them to do her cleaning. To my surprise Mrs. Justa Ole' Sleaze sternly looked at me and informed me I would never find them in the bar again and if she caught me with any she would take her pump to me. Asking why? She informed me that research suggested poppers was the cause of Hiv/Aids and all them where poured out and bottles thrown away in an undisclosed location. The bar was not going to be partaking in giving anyone Aids.

I knew immediately this was a crock of shit. I had been infected long before I even knew what poppers where. Not wanting to be exposed to anyone outside of my support family, I said nothing, but knew then and there it was time to question every bit of new research ever revealed.

Ody
Take a deep breath and forgive yourself, no since in you making it harder, that's someone else's job and you know they are more qualified, just ask um!

Offline bear60

Re: Myths of yester year...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:47:46 pm »
Thank you for that Ody.
What a trip.....down memory lane , huh. 
I remember thinking: " I dont do poppers so maybe I wont get it".
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 02:13:16 pm »
Another great myth that I firmly believed in for awhile:   TOPS don't get HIV.

I thought "OK, I'm safe, because I have always been the top guy (ok no wise cracks from the peanut gallery here, it's true dammit)".   Well, I am living proof that TOPS do get HIV.

Alan (who is no longer characterized as strictly a "top")  ;D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline mark54

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:31:48 pm »
one night i had to stay up for the eleven o'clock news  because they had announced the cure for aids.  well, they were announcing the release of 3TC.  since i had known a lot of the guys in the original studies 2 years prior and all their problems with it well, that's the night i started questioning everything that was said and done. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 07:41:57 pm »
Hello ,

I also remember when poppers were removed from some of the bars, and if you were caught using them, you were barred !

Ray
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 07:43:31 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mudman8

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 01:27:23 pm »
yes, I'd heard about poppers and tried giving them up .... well for  a while at least,  I did start using my condoms regularly.  I didn't use drugs anymore..... then I met a hot bi fuck in grad school at a book store. I gave up resisting and indulged once again in hedonistic rushes of a 35 YO crazed to shoot the ultimate load. He was a happy camper I can tell you. Everything his wife wouldn't give him. I was self conscious for years thinkng I was going to get the super bug, but that hasn't happened either. I tend to stay on my meds for 3-4 years or so before they decline.
Life is analog

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.