Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 327
Total: 330

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: disclosure  (Read 7909 times)

tendai

disclosure
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:49:43 am »
i know this disclosure thing has been discussed over and over and over but i broke up with my boyfriend a few weeks back. so there's this ex of mine who wants to come back in my life.  so with my most recent ex it was easier for me to tell him coz he was someone totally new and if he could not handle it then i'd just move on. so this guy who wants to come back we had a relationship (of sorts) and i think i may find it impossible to tell him i have HIV.  i am almost definite that i will be unable to tell him. so i'm thinking if i just keep quiet and dont tell him and if we do get to have sex i know he'll be so careful as he always has been .  i just dont think i bring myself to tell him or anyone that i know. its easier to disclose to strangers coz u've never seen them before and u might never see them again, but with someone who i've known before... its embarrassing and i dont think i'll be able to handle a negative reaction, so i'm thinking why risk it? 

btw, i think i got piles and i think they're a bit worse than shingles when it comes to discomfort, the only good thing is noone can see them, i just hope i'm walking properly..

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
Re: disclosure
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:57:24 am »
The only issue with that is that some states consider it a crime to not disclose to sexual partners even if a condom is used and even if the virus is not transmitted. Charges such as reckless endangerment, attempted murder, and voluntary manslaughter are not what one wants to have on his record or conscience. It is ultimately your decision, but it would be more respectful of him to tell him before anything sexual happens. You don't have to tell him right off the bat, but if things start to turn sexual, wouldn't you want to know if you were in his shoes?

Just my $1.50. :) Best of luck either way.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:08:00 am »
How much can you love and respect someone with whom you base your relationship on a lie of omission? How much can  you love and respect yourself?

It baffles me that anyone expects to construct a reality on a framework of fiction. Please be true to your heart, and to your soul. Disclose.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Markmt

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:53:29 am »
I think being that he is your ex and you already know each other to a degree, + having in mind to revamp your relationship, it would be sensible to be honest with him before going into any kind of sexual activity. Saving it for another time (especially after having sex with him) might fireback on you.

hope all goes well,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:34:17 am »
Tendai,  I think you knew the right answer before you even posted.  We have just confirmed it for you.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 10:25:25 am »
How much can you love and respect someone with whom you base your relationship on a lie of omission? How much can  you love and respect yourself?

It baffles me that anyone expects to construct a reality on a framework of fiction. Please be true to your heart, and to your soul. Disclose.

I almost always have something original to say here, but when someone like Jonathan comes up with my very thoughts, I am afraid my duplicating it would only be boring and un-inspired.  However, I have a long time reputation of standing by the mantra that if we live through lies, we will die through lies.  If we cannot be truthful with ourselves, how in the hell is anything we touch going to come out with any joy or clarity.

I don't want to pick on you here, but if you create a relationship based on omission, or lies, it will surely fail.  So, why do it?

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Christine

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:12:37 am »
Tendai,

I was in a relationship where my boyfriend did not disclose to me his + status. I found out through a third party. I am angered that he did not give me the chance, or opportunity to choose if I wanted to be involved with someone who was +. But, I also recognize that I had a responsibility to protect myself, which I failed at, so I don't view contracting hiv as "his fault", but I would have liked to have had all of the truth. I do agree with some of the other posters, if you go into a relationship which is not based on truth, and mutual respect it probably won't turn out the way you want it to.

If he is a person who wants to be with you, and respects your life, he will stick around regardless of hiv.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 04:07:17 pm »
Disclose..Honesty is power. 

Disclosing is tough the first few times but then it gets easier and easier and easier.

At least, that i my experience

Offline Biggums

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 07:57:18 pm »
Definitely agree with the folks above me.  Come clean.  The guilt and looking over your shoulder will kill whatever chance at a healthy relationship you might have.

PS  LOVE THE SPELL CHECK!!!!
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline LACboi

• AMG member since June 2005
    • FaceBook
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 05:01:32 am »
Tendai,

disclose before the sex starts. I also agree with what Jonathan said as well.

tendai

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 06:27:23 am »
thanks guys. i had considered telling him via e-mail then i thought what the hell chances are that he will run so fast when i tell him so i shouldnt bother telling him.  so i've decided to let it go, i wont reestablish  a relationship with him, i'll give him some excuse not to see him again.  think i'll jsut go out with poz guys but they will have to tell me first about their status.  i dont know what century will be when i finally meet someone like that. seems hiv isnt as common as we would like to think..

Offline spicy1

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 11:58:52 am »
gal friend sure you might be more comfortable dating a +ve partner because your in the same situation but truth be told its about finding someone that genuinley loves you, has no issues and is for real whether +ve or -ve. Trust me ive tried dating +ve guys simply coz i thot maybe things would work out better since we were in the same situation but at the end of the day were no more different to other people when it comes to our emotions and needs. So my advice to you is take your time if you meet someone that you truely feel might be the one and the feeling is mutual then be open about your status coz love conquers all HIV is not a PROBLEM but a challenge and all it takes is somebody that fully comprehends the disease. I was open about my status with my patner from the beginning he is -ve and in my case i believe love over came the challenge and were taking each day as it comes. Im so at peace with myself.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.