Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 05:50:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 155
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Premature Aging of the Brain Seen in HIV Patients  (Read 33721 times)

Offline veritas

Re: Premature Aging of the Brain Seen in HIV Patients
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 06:09:49 am »

moon,

I think you should open a restaurant  -- your menu sounds therapeutic. You could name it "Brainiac" and offer two for one popper snorts at happy hour or the never ending cup of green tea tuesdays and walnut wednesdays. Of course, fish fridays.

v

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 06:19:45 am »
Freewilly,

How many times do you have to be warned about personal attacks? If you post in this thread one more time, you'll earn yourself a time out. No kidding.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 10:36:01 am »
Freewilly,

How many times do you have to be warned about personal attacks? If you post in this thread one more time, you'll earn yourself a time out. No kidding.

Ann

Whatever, Ann.  I posted an innocent comment about exercise being beneficial to blood flow and received lame sarcastic bs from a moron for my trouble.  Time out?  LMAO.  No kidding.
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 02:42:56 pm »

Why do you feel the need for your comment to be validated?  My sarcastic comment against all your trouble in that very brief post of yours was me disagreeing with you.  You taking exception to it is an issue of your own, totally out of my control just like me replying is out of your control.  You can disagree with my stance on the matter just like I disagreed with yours.  All this name calling is childish and I notice it seems to be a habit of yours here on the forum anytime someone disagrees with you.     There is an ignore feature on the left, might I suggest you use it.  That way you won't be able to see my posts and you can save yourself from the TO.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 11:00:39 pm »
Whatever, Ann.  I posted an innocent comment about exercise being beneficial to blood flow and received lame sarcastic bs from a moron for my trouble.  Time out?  LMAO.  No kidding.

As you saw fit to once again call another member names, I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Still laughing?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 03:48:21 pm »
Just wanted to suggest that those who don't like Green tea try a green t latte from star bucks with sugar free syrup (any flavor).  Of course it costs a kings ransom, but tastes like heaven.

I've been taking quercetin of late and keep hearing about new benefits of it being discovered, such as anti-inflammation.  I wonder if it could have any positive impact on the brain.  I also take fish oil - another brain helper.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, 10:15:43 pm »
You know I just browsed over your eloquent posting history since you joined the forums.  Perhaps getting off the roids and going natural will serve you better, you seem a bit testy there.   In the mean time, go pick your next fight... who will it be?

I'll take him/her/it on!

On a more serious note, Mods, freewilly (wasn't that a dolphin movie?) has a history of trollish behavior including calling people "douchebags" (a few examples below).  Perhaps a permanent ban is in order?
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13994.msg358003#msg358003
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13994.msg357568#msg357568
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28810.msg354801#msg354801

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2010, 10:48:15 pm »
Perhaps a permanent ban is in order?
they're just permanent bans now  ;)

plus, this incident happened 18 days ago. you might want to send a PM to a mod as this "discussion" is already a bit old and most people have moved on  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 10:19:20 am »
Just wanted to suggest that those who don't like Green tea try a green t latte from star bucks with sugar free syrup (any flavor).  Of course it costs a kings ransom, but tastes like heaven.

I've been taking quercetin of late and keep hearing about new benefits of it being discovered, such as anti-inflammation.  I wonder if it could have any positive impact on the brain.  I also take fish oil - another brain helper.
Every little bit helps I say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »
I'll take him/her/it on!

On a more serious note, Mods, freewilly (wasn't that a dolphin movie?) has a history of trollish behavior including calling people "douchebags" (a few examples below).  Perhaps a permanent ban is in order?
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13994.msg358003#msg358003
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13994.msg357568#msg357568
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28810.msg354801#msg354801

Hey, GNYC09...

Thanks for trolling, er...playing.  heh.

Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »
Hey, GNYC09...

Thanks for trolling, er...playing.  heh.

Freewilly, do you really want the permanent ban some have advocated for? After all, you have been a problem in these forums more than once. Keep it up and a ban will be arranged. Just for you. Either adjust your attitude to other forum members or be gone.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2010, 07:42:59 pm »
Hey, GNYC09...

Thanks for trolling, er...playing.  heh.

you're funny!  :-*
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:00:16 pm by GNYC09 »

Offline northernguy

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2010, 01:25:17 am »
I really notice the short term memory loss.  For example, last night I went out for dinner. Today had to wrack my brain for several minutes to recall where it was I had been the night before.  Stuff like that never happened a couple years ago.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2010, 02:13:53 am »
This is an emerging and worrying issue, HIV gets into the brain from the point of transmission - and HIV activity in the brain can cause a range of symptoms of mood, cognition ( memory, concentration ), tremors, fatigue and isolative behaviour.

HIV Treatments improve symptoms - but not all treatments penetrate the Blood Brain Barrier effectively.
Link to further information - http://www.natap.org/2008/IAS/IAS_69.htm

Locally people are reviewing their combinations to ensure they are getting the maximum benefits in terms of 'brain penetrating HIV drugs' possible - with the fewest side effects of course.  Many of our local HIV Psychiatrists and Neurologist are suggesting low dose SSRI antidepressants for people with mild symptoms.

There are many supplements that are reported to help as well - alpha lipoic acid, green tea (if you don't like the taste it is available is supplement form) even black or white tea, omega 3's, astragalus, spriulina and others.

But exercise seems to be one of the best protectors - and cognitive enhancers - and acohol abstainence.

Now where did I put my gin?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:16:03 am by Tempeboy »
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »
I really notice the short term memory loss.  For example, last night I went out for dinner. Today had to wrack my brain for several minutes to recall where it was I had been the night before.  Stuff like that never happened a couple years ago.

How old are you?

I was competitive in academic trivia in both high school and college, have won scholarships out of it and I've been having a lot of trouble remembering pretty basic stuff for a few years now.  I've kind of always chalked it up to I'm no longer in my early 20s so maybe I've lost my "edge", or now that I'm on Atripla it might be the mental fuzziness, or maybe I've just been out of school for so long the academic stuff isn't as readily available.  I'm definitely not as swift as I used to be however, which is a somewhat worrisome trend.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:19:57 pm by Hellraiser »

Offline elf

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2010, 02:31:47 pm »
In my case it's more like:

Premature Laziness in the Brain Seen in HIV Patients

;D
I could learn Dutch, Norwegian and improve my Spanish and English,
but I'm so lazy   ??? I only study for my exams, I think I should broaden my horizons.  :D
And I should quit Facebook :o

I hate being so lazy.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:34:13 pm by elf »

Offline northernguy

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2010, 07:43:34 pm »
How old are you?

45, so not over the hill quite yet.  ;D
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.