Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:49:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gaud, I knew I was feeling like crap...  (Read 3056 times)

Offline randym431

Gaud, I knew I was feeling like crap...
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:21:28 am »
For a month now, just real worn out and sleep 10 hours a day (when I get away  with it). Then, I pass this huge kidney stone yesterday. I KNEW IT! These damm kidney stones have been in my life since I was 20 (some 33 years ago). I've passed like hundreds, but since I found out what caused them, and changed diet,  I have problems only like every few years. And never have that bad side pain with stones, just this strange tired worn feeling till they pass. This time I was to ready to blame my woes on the meds, but that wasn’t the case. Just only the stones again, and my slipping on following my stone-less diet over the past 6 months or so.
Should of known better. Its too easy to blame everything on the meds, when its not related at all.
Never had surgery. Always toughed it out till they passed on their own. My old kidney doc once said he was going to save them and rebuild his wall in back. And what causes them for me? Anything with calcium oxalate in it. Orange juice (especially), grape juice, tea, apples. I love orange juice and was hitting it heavy. You'd think I'd learn. But you have a "safe" period for years, and you forget or think it cant happen again, like before.
Guess my point is, its way too easy to blame the meds for everything when its not the meds at all.
Oh well...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:23:23 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Gaud, I knew I was feeling like crap...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:42:29 am »
Hello Randy,

Sorry to hear about the kidney stones. Too bad they couldn't come out as precious stones !  I am really not that familiar with them. I had one, a very long time ago, that caused an infection. The pain was bad enough, that I was admitted to the VA hospital. That was back in 1973. I was able to pass that one. never had another one again. Was also given some anti-biotics to get the infection down.

Is the doctor suggesting any kind of change in diet? Could it possibly be caused by your water supply, where you live?

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline randym431

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:24:08 am »
Hey Ray
I'm suppose to avoid things high in oxalate, like OJ or tea or a whole list of things. Things I like, naturally.
I was blaming feeling icky on my meds, but now that it passed, I realize my crappy feeling was not the meds.
When I was young in my 20's I could put up with them and the pain more easy. Now, whew!
Strange thing, I've had so many stones over the years I seldom get the terrible back or side pain. They just make me feel
real pooped, drained and even change my mood. I usually dont bother to go to the doc anymore. I pay all the co pays, xrays and told "yes, you have a stone". Like I didnt know that. Then they send me home and say drink lots of water. Its kinda of a joke.

Once in 1985 a doctor took xrays and did not see any stones. That weekend, over a 3 day period, I passed some 10 stones. And HUGE ones too.
So I dont feel doctors really know a whole lot. Like with hiv, your really your own best doctor, sometimes.

My one right kidney is a "sponge" kidney and is where the stones come from. The left is normal.
It was passed down from my dad, the condition, but his is not as major as mine.

I guess I brought it all up bacause I tend to blame every little thing on the meds. And I was wrong to do that. I never expected a stone since I have not had one in like 7 years. And the second it passes, I feel 100% normal again. Really strange.
I'm bad at drinking enough water too. Should drink some 8 glasses a day. Some days I might only drink two or three. Not good.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:49:47 am »
Hey Randy,
Blaming things on meds or HIV that are unrelated is easy. I do it myself, although I try not to.

In my case, the meds did cause some kidney issues. I wasn't drinking enough water and I developed "sludge." I guess that would be stones that haven't quite made it to fruition yet.

My doc said it was the Crixivan. It was painfull though. I couldn't imagine passing an actual stone.

I now try to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day, which seems to do the trick.

Sorry about your stone and glad your back in the pink.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:09:19 am »
Randy,

Ooooo... ouch. A word of warning though - don't compare passing a kidney stone to giving birth. My brother-in-law used to do that and it never made him very popular with the women in the family. :D I assure you, it is NOT the same! ;)

I'm glad for you that this ISN'T caused by the meds and yes, it can be all too easy to blame things on the meds or even hiv itself. My doc really had to make an effort with me in the early days of my diagnosis to get me to understand that.

And I'm just curious here... what sort of diet prevents kidney stones? I've never heard of that before and I'm interested.

Hope you keep on feeling better!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:52:26 am »
Oh I feel for you. I had to have one blown apart and a stint put in, was in the hospital for three days over that. Then I was given medicine and passed one and then I've passed one on it's own. Let me tell you Ann, I would give any woman  having a baby a run for her money, screaming. It hurts like an sob.. :)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:11:19 am »
Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalla dont talk about it lalalalallallalalalal tooooo painful to imagine lalalalalalallalalalaalaa

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.