Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:23:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: How worried should I be?  (Read 3205 times)

Offline collegeguy11

How worried should I be?
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:06:39 am »
So here's the situation:

I got really drunk one night and had a one night stand with a guy I met that night.  It was stupid, a bad decision, I regret it, felt gross, and won't do it again, lesson learned.  Thing is, I topped and used a condom but the condom broke part way through and so we just used lube and continued for a little bit longer (stupid... never doing that again, was so drunk), but had to stop because his friends came back so  I didn't ejaculate.  He told me that he was recently tested and tested negative... but I'm still worried.  How worried should I be exactly?  I topped, he said he was negative, I wore a condom for the first half, I didn't ejaculate but.... he could be HIV+ and not know it or lied and there was unprotected sex.  I'm going to get tested in 3 months, but I just don't know if I should be stressing now because there's chance that I might be infected.  Like I know there is a chance, but a realistic one that I should really be worried about? Ah, I don't know help.  There was also oral and rimming but I heard from other forums that those aren't realistic risks... I guess that's what I'm asking like is this risk worth worrying about? 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: How worried should I be?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:38:02 am »
Ok.

There is a HIV risk here, but that risk is not huge. You were protected until the condom broke but given that you continued to have unprotected anal sex after that, you do need to be tested for HIV.

As I say the specific risk here is not great, particularly as you were the insertive partner. The receptive partner is at far greater risk during unprotected anal sex.

But that is not the same as no risk. You need to be tested for HIV 13 weeks from the date of the most recent episode of unprotected anal sex.

You should also be tested for STDs other than HIV. Things like gonorrhoea and chlamydia are far more common and transmissible than HIV. You should speak to your doctor or local clinic about a full sexual health screen.

Combining excessive alcohol consumption and casual sex is not a good idea as it can easily lead to situations such as this one.

MtD

Offline collegeguy11

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:57:56 am »
Thanks for your quick reply, I appreciate it.  Also, I won't combine excessive alcohol and casual sex again...

Your reply kind of made me more worried though... I'm for sure going to get tested in 13 weeks but my mind keeps reeling through the idea of my getting HIV even though the risk is small.  I guess you can't really answer how risky "not great" risk is.... but I feel like I'm going to obsess over this and let this ruin my next 13 weeks.... I know I should keep busy and not think about it, etc., but still how worried should I be given he told me he was neg, I was top, half of the sex was protected.  Also, I'm pretty sure he doesn't get around too much, he's young and goes to a small school with not a lot of options for gay sex.... Bah my next 13 weeks are gonna suck.... and there's a "not great" but still some risk that the rest of my life will too.... shit kind of worried/ freaking out.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:10:06 am »
Thanks for your quick reply, I appreciate it.  Also, I won't combine excessive alcohol and casual sex again...

Your reply kind of made me more worried though... I'm for sure going to get tested in 13 weeks but my mind keeps reeling through the idea of my getting HIV even though the risk is small.  I guess you can't really answer how risky "not great" risk is.... but I feel like I'm going to obsess over this and let this ruin my next 13 weeks.... I know I should keep busy and not think about it, etc., but still how worried should I be given he told me he was neg, I was top, half of the sex was protected.  Also, I'm pretty sure he doesn't get around too much, he's young and goes to a small school with not a lot of options for gay sex.... Bah my next 13 weeks are gonna suck.... and there's a "not great" but still some risk that the rest of my life will too.... shit kind of worried/ freaking out.

OK, chill out.

When I say your risk is not great, I mean that I expect you to test negative for HIV at the end of the window period. I can't guarantee it, but I would be very suprised if this one incident led to you being infected with HIV.

Very surprised.

It doesn't really matter what he says, people say all sorts of things especially when it comes to sex and HIV. The only way you can really be sure about your HIV status is to be tested.

As for dealing with the stress? Well you've got the right idea. Keep busy. The time will pass quicker than you expect. Try not to trawl the internet looking for answers --- mad googling about this sorta stuff only makes things worse.

MtD

Offline collegeguy11

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:40 pm »
Thanks for your help.  One last question, would a 6 week test be worth getting or should I just wait for the 13 week test?  Like are 6 week test results (getting tested 6 weeks after last possible exposure) pretty reliable or no?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:52:52 pm »
Thanks for your help.  One last question, would a 6 week test be worth getting or should I just wait for the 13 week test?  Like are 6 week test results (getting tested 6 weeks after last possible exposure) pretty reliable or no?

A 6 week test is a very good idea. Most people who are going to seroconvert as HIV positive do so at around the 4 week mark. If you are HIV negative at 6 weeks then your chances of testing negative at the end of the 13 week period are pretty much all but certain.

Just remember that a 6 week negative result must be confirmed at the 13 week mark.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.