Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:18:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 328
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So I am disgusting  (Read 9631 times)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
So I am disgusting
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:22 pm »
Warning, not safe for lunch.

So I have had these brown marks underneath my two big toes for months now. I assumed it was because I tend to A) drop stuff on them when putting up cans after shopping, B) stub them because I am clumsy, especially in the dark. Thing is, when I am relaxing at home, I rarely wear shoes or socks. I keep my toenails clipped most of the time, and shower once, sometimes twice a day. I have never had athlete's feet, and am not, in general, skanky.

But the last few weeks, I have noticed that the tops of my toes hurt a little when I am out, and wearing shoes. I don't go barefoot outside because the things I invariably step on are either crunchy and painful, or squishy.

So this morning, I am in the process of toenail clippage when I notice that my left big toe has gone from a small brown spot to a nasty gray/white discoloration. Because I have been doing yoga, and can do this, I lift my tow to my nose. Nope. No foul odor. The other toenail is not any worse, but not any better.

My first thought was toenail fungus, and from the pictures I found online, it looks like that might be the case. Called my doctor, as I have an appointment in a week, and they wanted to see me ASAP (but unfortunately, cannot see me earlier than that). I Googled remedies I could try beforehand (tea tree oil, soaking them in Listerine, etc).

Any other ideas? How dangerous is this to is HIVers? I would prefer not to lose my toenails. I rather like them, though they do get a bit sharp when they need cutting. It's NOT painful, really... just not painless. And they don't stink.

But still, I am grossed out. I have always had good hygiene, and am wondering if there are any remedies other than what I found that i could try while waiting for my doctor.

It's a fungus. Could the anti-fungal meds I have for thrush help?

JK

(who has two piggies that would be unwelcome at the market)

*edited for clumsy fingers.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline leese43

Re: So I am disgusting
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:48:24 pm »
We have a treatment called Curanail here in the UK. You paint it on the nail/s once a week, it's a very slow process (can take 6-9 months) as you have to use it until a healthy nail has grown back.

It sounds like nail fungus to me, I have the same problem when walking any distance. It doesn't have anything to do with hygiene, women get it a lot from wearing nail varnish constantly, it's also very contagious.
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:55:21 pm »
Jk, I had toenail fungus once, but it's been a long time.  My doctor gave me like a clear polish I had to put on the affected toe, every day.  It took awhile to clear.  I can't remember if she gave me pills or not.  The thing I remember most is the time.  Wish I could be of more help. 

I wonder if you could talk to the pharmacist, to see about the anti-fungal med working for that?  Or if he knows of something else you can do while waiting for your doc?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:00:10 pm »
Hi JK

If you are looking for something alternative until you can get to the Doc then the Listerine the Doctor prescribed is a good idea, plus a natural acid like apple cider vinegar or undiluted lemon juice mixed with it can help, I know it sounds like an old wifes tale but the acid and the alcohol together will dry it up..what have you got to lose, you sound really woried about it so anything is worth a try...right?

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:19:57 pm »
Thanks guys!

I am not so much worried as, um, nastified about the whole thing. Plus, all the web sites I visit add the caveat "elderly people and people wuth weakened immune systems can have potentially serious effects from this condition."

I mean, nail falling the hell off is serious to me... but they don't specify exactly WHAT can happen. I just don't want to be one of those weird stories where a guy yanks out a nose hair, the follicle gets infected, the infection spreads to his brain and he dies. Or something.

Listerine it is, then. Plus tea tree oil. My toes shall have the nicest breath and shiniest skin in all of Christendom.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:24:23 pm »
check Lamusil and discuss with doc  Cheers Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline newby05

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:29:08 pm »
My sis got a toe nail fungus from a pedicure. After many expensive remedies, a dr. told her to take a solution of bleach and water and dip her toe in it for a bit. Immediately cleared up the fungus....and  it has never returned.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:32:16 pm »
Lamusil can be hard on the liver. My doc didn't want me to take it when I still had hep C for that reason.

I had good success with tea tree, but as with any other remedy for this, it takes a while. I had it nearly completely cured when I ran out of tea tree and kept forgetting to buy more, so it's back to square one for me if I ever remember to buy some. My nails don't look great, but they're no where near falling off, so I think you can relax on that score, Jonathan.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »
Well, the good news is its not lethal, if it is toenail fungus.

The bad news is it can be hard to get rid of.

I use Vick's Vapo Rub. It has kept mine in check, but it still hasn't gone away.

I am ready to try the other things - tea tree oil or maybe the bleach and water.

I hope this works for you. Let me know how it goes.

By the way, the image of you sniffing your toe made me giggle.

I used to be able to do that, but if I get myself into that position, I'll be unable to get out without help. ::)

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:41:26 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:34:49 pm »
Well, the good news is its not lethal, if it is toenail fungus.

The bad news is it can be hard to get rid of.

I use Vick's Vapo Rub. It has kept mine in check, but it still hasn't gone away.

I am ready to try the other things - tea tree oil or maybe the bleach and water.

I hope this works for you. Let me know how it goes.

By the way, the image of you sniffing your toe made me giggle.

I used to be able to do that, but if I get myself into that position, I'll be unable to get out without help. ::)

HUGS,

Mark

Right before I was diagnosed, I noticed my toenails had a yellowish color and were flaky.  My "brother-in-law" doc told me to use Vick's Vapor Rub on them twice daily.  He claimed it has been shown to work pretty well.  I never used it due to mine seeming to get healthier looking.  You could give that a try.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:57:01 pm »
I have this "natural" remedy on the way from Amazon.com, and took Fluconazole tonight to start, as I read that it is used off-label to help with the fungus. I would have done more, but a friend came over, and knowing the astonishing stress I have been under this past week, took me out for mexican food. Which means three margaritas and the cheapest entree on the menu so I dont look like a sot.

I am home now, and tomorrow I go buy Vicks Vaporub and Listerine. Nice to know it's not going to kill me.  But October is a HEAVY walking month for me this year, what with going to New Orleans for Halloween and all. I'd like to have all ten toenails cooperate, or at least tag along.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just stuck my toes in my nose again, still no odor. Used to be able to put them behind my head. Man, the nineties were AWESOME.

Welcome Thread

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 12:28:17 pm »
I hope the "home remedies" work honey....I'm a big believer in them.   I swear by vapo-rub, and use it frequently in the winter months.

I tried all kinds of things to get rid of my nail fungus...it was only on one nail, and the nail was very thick and white, ugly, and I called it my "old man" toenail.   The stuff you paint on never worked for me; only a course of Lamisil did the trick, and that was 6 months of taking it.   I tolerated it with no problems; not everyone can do that.

Hope you get it cleared up or at least manageable by Halloween!

Hugs, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline LoboDog

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:43:42 am »
I went through a bout of the fungus too... I used fungi-nail. Painted it on twice a day. The discoloration only goes away as your toe nail grows.

My doctor recommended against lamasil... As he put it, we have a choice between healthy liver or ugly toenails. Let keep the liver.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 07:28:03 pm »
Repeat : check Lamusil and discuss with doc.

It is not like you are taking it for ever... as soon as I took it a clear line of healthy nail appeared and was taking over as the nail was growing. Once it is gone (was it 2 month?), you can stop treatment (or carry on a few weeks for safety. Never came back. (the nail coating and other natural remedies did not work on my fungus. Lamusil did.)

At that time I had not heard about liver issues when taking Lamusil. Happens that I am currently (and probably for a very long period of time _ lifelong?) taking very potent and liver aggressive meds. and liver is doing fine. I would not worry the least about over-the-counter Lamusil.

Cheers  Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 07:34:46 pm »
I am using this wash that contains tea tree oil, specifically for fungus, and taking Fluconazole until I see my HIV doc next week. In the meantime, I wear footie socks when company is over or when not sleeping alone, to avoid spreading it and/or people thinking I am a zombie.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 08:28:34 pm »
Jonathan, fluconazole doesn't do anything for the particular fungus that targets the nail bed. I asked about using it instead of lamusil when my doc didn't want me to use that liver biter, and he said there was no point. It's like how different antibiotics target different bacteria. Different antifungals target different fungi.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 12:37:55 am »
I know but i found this:

toenail fungus report
      How do I cure toenail fungus?

A particularly nasty fungus growth in need of attention. Click to enlarge - if you are not squeemish!For some people it can be difficult finding a natural cure to fight the embarrassment, disfigurement and the physical pain of toenail fungus. There are some (unnatural) internal medications available as prescriptions such as

* itraconazole (Sporonox),
    * fluconazole (Diflucan),
    * griseofulvin (Fulvicin), and
    * terfinabine (Lamisil)

http://www.toenailfungus.org/

Diflucan (Fluconazole) is not technically a toe nail fungus medicine. It's approved by the FDA for use on various types of yeast infections within the body such as vaginal, throat or mouth yeast infections. Despite this however, it is sometime prescribed as a toe nail fungus medicine when the toe nail fungus is a mild case, or it appears to be yeast generated toe nail fungus infection.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/565005/toe_nail_fungus_medicine.html?cat=5

So I have a week's worth of leftover thrush meds, and will not see the doc till then. I dont think it will be HARMFUL, and between that and my daily washes with the tea tree oil stuff, maybe it will help. If I am doing mroe harm than good, I hope someone tells me. I have never A) spent significant time in sweaty socks, B) gone mroe than twelve hours without bathing, and C) kept decent hygiene.

So  I am sort of thiking that this is nature's way of telling me to get on my damned meds and get on them damned regularly. I prefer this sort of message over the whole PCP thing.

Just splashing around in this unfamiliar pond :)

JK

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 01:13:22 am »
Hmm... when my doc told me that fluconazole would be pointless I didn't exactly have a mild case, at least not my big toes.

But you're right, it won't do you any harm but it might do some good.

If all else fails, you could always paint them bright red. :)

I've always kept my feet clean too, but since I've been poz I have to be extra vigilant about athlete's foot to the point of using ... shit, whatever that cream is the doc told me to use. It's upstairs and I can't be bothered to go get it. Use your imagination. How 'bout "Funbigone"? Anyway, I have to use that stuff two or three times a week or I start getting the fungus amungus. And of course there's the nail fungus. Doc says they're two different species.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 01:18:18 am »
bright red is plan B.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:13 am »
Is plan C shocking pink, or would you go with something a bit more demure?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:13 am »
Shocking pink is a Britney color, and thus stigma related. It also does not contain nearly enough zinc nor colloidal silver.

I am here to cure ze AIDS, not cause it.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 08:23:58 am »
ew, Sorry, didn't know that in your culture, shocking pink was strongly associated with former Mouseketeers escaped from rehab. In my culture shocking pink is shockingly, just pink.

If you're going for that colloidal silver look, may I suggest something in a cobal blue? Or if it's the zinc look you're after, there are some lovely shades of French Manicure White.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 11:59:18 am »
I don't know whether toe nails differ from finger nails, but I had a fingernail fungus once, back when my t-cells were in pretty bad shape. I took fluconazole and started meds. The nail went brown and squishy, then fell off. A new one grew back within 3 months, as nice as before and totally undistinguishable from the other finger nails, but this time without the fungus.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:26 pm »
I second the vinegar recommendation.  I had a fungus on one of my toes and it really does work.  The only caveat is that you have to do it every day for about a month to ensure the fungus is actually dead.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.