Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 388
Total: 391

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Spanish vaccine trial  (Read 15651 times)

Offline tommy246

• Standard
Spanish vaccine trial
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:27:31 am »
There were some spanish vaccine trials starting phase 1 trials about a year ago i read about it in el pais newspaper 24-11-2008 . Performed by public hospital gregario marañon de madrid and clinic de barcelona. Mariano esteban  previouslyhad good success when testing on animals,anyone any update of this thanks.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Spanish vaccine trial
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:07:13 pm »
It's probably too soon to know any results. The piece I read said it is a preventive vaccine.

LINK:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_19019.shtml

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:36:29 am »
this topic was also posted here: MVA-BN® polytope against HIV

and there was new news about it today:
Vaccine could reduce HIV to 'minor infection'
Spanish researchers found that 22 of 24 healthy people (92 per cent) developed an immune response to HIV after being given their MVA-B vaccine.
Prof Esteban acknowledged the vaccine was at an early stage, describing it as "promising".

The next step is to test it in people with HIV to see if it works as a "therapeutic" - reducing the viral count.

The researcher was optimistic, saying: "MVA-B vaccine has proven to be as powerful as any other vaccine currently being studied, or even more.

"If this genetic cocktail passes Phase II and Phase III future clinic trials, and makes it into production, in the future HIV could be compared to herpes virus nowadays."

By that he meant HIV could become a "minor chronic infection" that only resulted in disease when the immune system was otherwise compromised.

Other vaccines are in development. One, called the HIV-v vaccine, developed by British researchers, resulted in a 90 per cent reduction in viral count in HIV-infected people. Most trials so far have been small scale.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline georgep77

Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline LM

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:53 pm »
It was all over the news yesterday. Very interesting, let's wait and see if it really lives up to the promise.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline monarc

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:33:36 pm »
Wow this team has been doing research since 1999. This sounds really promising.  :D

Offline LM

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:51:56 pm »
The Guardian says it's supposed to be a therapeutic vaccine. I thought it would be preventive.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:24:28 am »
The Guardian says it's supposed to be a therapeutic vaccine. I thought it would be preventive.
Mitch never quoted the source but his post from Oct 06 when the trials were rolled out says "prophylactic and therapeutic vaccine". Perhaps Phase 1 determined it had not prophylactic use. maybe?

MVA-BN® polytope is the second of the company’s three vaccine candidates to enter clinical trials. It is being developed as both a prophylactic and therapeutic vaccine, and thus is more advanced than MVA nef, which is being developed by Bavarian Nordic as a therapeutic vaccine only.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 01:55:40 am »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline postino

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 06:00:50 am »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 11:24:18 am »
let's wait and see if it really lives up to the promise.
that's right ;), because it'll still be a long wait (as in years and years) to get through phase II and III trials.

To be honest statements like it being a once-a-yr shot or reducing HIV to a herpes-like infection are just wishful thinking and perhaps false hopes at this point. Besides, while it may not be a terminal disease, herpes isn't that much fun to have either. (I loved a bunch of the comments on the dailymail story about the hype they jazzed the story with. LOL)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline georgep77

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 12:22:34 pm »
that's right ;), because it'll still be a long wait (as in years and years) to get through phase II and III trials.
Sadly but true leatherman   :-\
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline LPinUK

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »
Try disclosing to a potential partner that you have HIV compared to Herpes.

Theres your difference.
Diagnosed Poz September 2003, Current Regimen Truvada & Sustiva.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 03:32:02 pm »
Try disclosing to a potential partner that you have HIV compared to Herpes.

Theres your difference.
I don't know anyone that wants herpes either which is a lot easier to contract than HIV.

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 10:08:36 am »

Assessment of the Spanish vaccine trial by the NHS UK

" The researchers recruited 30 people who did not have HIV and gave 24 of them three injections of the new HIV vaccine, which was based on a smallpox vaccine. The other six people received placebo injections. The researchers followed the volunteers for 48 weeks.

The researchers found that the vaccine appeared to be well-tolerated over this time and there were no serious side effects. More than three-quarters of the volunteers had a detectable immune response to the vaccine. However, the primary aim of this preliminary study was to assess safety not effectiveness. It is not known whether the immune response caused by the vaccine would be sufficient to protect against HIV infection or to lower HIV levels in people who are already HIV positive. It is likely that further safety trials in a larger group of people will be performed before the effectiveness of this vaccine is assessed.

How did the researchers interpret the results?

The researchers say that in this first phase I trial with the HIV/AIDS vaccine candidate MVA-B in healthy volunteers the vaccine was safe and well-tolerated and elicited strong and durable T-cell responses in 75% of volunteers. They say that their data support further exploration of MVA-B as an HIV vaccine candidate.

Conclusion

This phase I trial showed that this HIV vaccine was well-tolerated and did not lead to serious adverse effects in a small group of healthy volunteers. The vaccine was also shown to cause a T-cell immune response in 75% of the 24 participants and to cause antibody responses in 95%.

These results are encouraging and will probably mean that the researchers go on to look at safety and immune response to this vaccine in a larger group of people. There are two potential ways in which vaccines could be used to fight HIV. A vaccine may either be used as a prophylactic to stop people being infected with the virus, or therapeutically, to help the body to lower HIV levels once a person has already been infected. The aim of therapeutic use would be to reduce disease symptoms.

This study did not look at the effectiveness of the vaccine, including how well it could protect against infection with HIV or lower HIV levels in the body of people already infected.

Further research is needed to test the vaccine in these two areas - preventing HIV infection or reducing the number of virus particles in infected people. Also, other studies are looking at potential HIV vaccines, and research will be needed to test how well this vaccine compares to these."

Full article :

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/09September/Pages/hiv-vaccine-phase-1-trial.aspx
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.