Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:56:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 627
Total: 627

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Getting Through  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
Getting Through
« on: October 06, 2006, 02:35:58 pm »
After lurking around for awhile I finally reached the point to put my feelings out there.

I'm just so damn tired and lonely all the time I don't know what else to do. I was diagnosed after getting pneumonia at Christmas and had a cd4 of 15 and a vl in the millions. I was able to get in a study that I am so grateful for because after five months I had 115 cd4 cells and my vl was undetectable. I just had my latest blood work last week and am waiting for the results which my gut tells me will be ok but I think that its starting to hit that my life has changed forever.

I feel so tired and alone. I live in the rural mountains of Colorado and am an hour from just about everything. Don't think Aspen or Vail, Think more Northern Exposure. So I don't have the energy to stay in town late because if I don't get my 8-9 hours of sleep I feel like the walking dead, so my social life is limited. But I think that's what I have consciously/subconsciously chosen. If I'm alone then I don't have to deal with other people. It seems sometimes like all I do is get up and go to work and come home. But I do attend a great church and they have been very supportive and I volunteer at the local ASO every week just to have some contact with other people. But then I shut down. I have always been very gregarious and that's just not me anymore. I have a job and insurance but even with that I'm broke and in debt from hospital bills and make just enough money to not be able to apply for any relief. I take these fucking pills that make me fart gas that peels the paint off the walls and explosive diarrhea that blows the enamel off the toilet and give me a rash from the top of my back to my butt. But hey I'm alive! At least that's what I tell myself.

I guess I expected a different quality of life and that was my own naivete. I just didn't think that my life would turn out this way. But then who of us did? I have prayed to God, asked questions of God , Yelled at him once or twice ;-) ok maybe more than twice....And I finally let the tears come last week. And boy did they come....I'm talking sobbing with snot coming out your nose crying, and I did feel sooooo much better after that. I've always been the "strong" one, Always been there to help someone and offer my shirt off my back if they needed it (get your mind out of the gutter!) but it is so hard for me to ask for or accept help. I just think "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps" but fuck it I'm getting some fabulous glittery slip ons instead.

I just cannot do this alone and I accept that. I'm single, and now I see all my dreams of actually having someone to love me go down the tubes. Last year I was 38 and on top of the world (and a few guys too) and now I'm 39, going to be forty next month, broke, tired, and put up wet as we say on the ranch. I just don't know what to do! I know that those feelings are not reality and I need to move on but it's been safe up til now in my little shell. But now is the time to take those first tentative steps to living not just surviving.

And yes I have to be honest that I have thought about "checking out" of this current life I'm living, but to hell with that. I've never backed down from a fight in my life and I'm not backing down from this one. And deep down I know that it will get better, it has too. Plus who could take care of my animal family like me, I would miss them too much to do anything like that, they are always there loving me even when I don't feel like I deserve it. And when you get right down to it I guess I'm too much in love with myself to do it. My right hand has been too good a friend to me lately to hurt him.

When I finally went to the emergency room in December (My mother had flown out to take care of me and she dragged me, literally, to the hospital) they told me that I probably wouldn't make it through the weekend. Merry Fucking Christmas. But I'm still here just don't have the energy to kick much. My doctor says that my onryness was a big help (for those of you that didn't grow up in the south that is defined as a mean little shit). She has been a godsend to me. All of the people who have helped me in this journey have. But this journey ain't over yet...

My testosterone if good, my blood levels are good, my diet has it's ups and downs but it ten times better than before, I take my meds, get my sleep. yadda, yadda. Just have this black cloud puring down on me and I'm tired of getting wet. I just want to be able to feel the rain instead.

I have been attending a support group in Denver about every month when I can get there and I asked my doctor to recommend a psychologist and I'm seeing him in two weeks and my expectation is that will help. Oohhh these damn expectations. They just keep popping up. If I need to take another pill what the hell, I'm just willing to do whatever I have to do to get through this current black hole.

I finally realized that they probably weren't going to come and get me in the middle of the night and take me to some quarantine zone. This is still the United States of America, at least I think so most of the time.

I guess that it is time to deal with the emotional side of this disease now that the physical is more manageable. But this disease is one mean mother, meaner than even the biggest redneck I've ever tangled with. But even if I didn't win those fights they damn sure knew they were in one. So my attitude is fight, fight, fight til my last breath.

It can be just so hard sometimes, usually in the middle of the  night when I swear I can hear this war going on inside of my body, listening to the latest salvo of death being hurled at my tough little immune system. Sometimes I picture the rockets red glare overshooting these war hardened cells not giving up seeking to vanquish the enemy. Oh shit now I'm starting to sound totally whacked.

And if I have one more person that is not positive tell me that "they know what it feels like" I might have to save some money to bail myself out of jail! Dammitt I am still a living, breathing, human being and will not be pitied or despised. Wait until they are turned away from using a toilet, or the downcast eyes of those you thought were reasonably intelligent, or feel like you got a law degree and can quote HIPPA off the top of your head after battling with your insurance company, or having someone you love tell you that "people like you deserve it" or "It's God's judgement". Well fuck em, I am not going anywhere. Period. And God is probably judging them for their hypocrisy and hatefulness. Everything is going pretty good between he and I and my faith has been the biggest sanity saving asset I've got. 21st century be damned there are still a lot of scared, ignorant people out there and we have got to stick together. Compassion I can handle, Empathy I can accept, Hypocrisy just gets my goat and Pity just makes me see red. Either love me for me as a positive person or don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

But there has to be someone out there that understands knowing that you're no longer on the cliff staring out at the abyss, just taking a break, sitting on a stone that was there before you, worn down from the millions of travelers prior to your precious, unique, insignificant little soul taking a rest from this journey, catching a breath from the good fight, and admiring the stark landscape and finally seeing the flowers that grow out of such bleak surroundings. Getting up to go forward, yet leaving hope for the next person that needs a rest.

Thanks for reading, I needed to get this off my chest and out in the abyss.

God bless you all and keep up the good fight.

When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: Getting Through
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:49:19 pm »
Whew,

Thanks for the trip, and by the way, some of us have sat on the rock, and we go there sometimes often. ;)

All I can say as a PCP survivor is, take it easy on yourself, and don't be to hard on you, as it takes a good long time for the brain to recoup all the cells that were damaged from the fevers and the high vl.  Many of us here can tell you tales of the trips of the mind, so be sure, you have found an audience that not only does understand; we been there.

I welcome you to our family here and hope that you will find what you need to keep your life a bit more interesting.  If you haven't already met Eric, well you should!  He is one very twisted neighbor of yours, and he and his honey are living somewhere up around your neck of the woods.

Have a wonderful day and thanks so very much for sharing.

In Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:50:07 pm »
JNM594:

You are not alone...I just had a depression episode as well...But we can move on..We have to. We will die for sure...But the question is: Are we gonna make the time happy or shitty?  

Man, we are with you...Yes, with half a world in distance between us, but a smile away from your heart.

ALEX
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 02:52:21 pm »
OMG, you just got your icon up, and I gotta ask, is that a standard poodle you are holding?  Way cool!

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 03:03:45 pm »
JNM594,

WELCOME! Im so glad that you found us. Here you will get love, understanding, and support from everyone. You are now part of the family and we will always be here for you.

BIG HUGS
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Jnm594

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:05:45 pm »
Nope just two spoiled rotten little cocker spaniels that have been a lifesaver, them and a 16 year old crotchety cat share my cabin along with a huge aquarium with my finned friends, a herd of deer that live outside my house in my meadow, a mean old bull elk that sleeps under my deck and has been waking me up daily becuase they are in rut right now, raccoons that raid my bird feeder and sleep in my hammock, and birds that dive bomb me daily! That's my world. Sometimes I feel like Dr Doolittle. But grateful to see such beauty in nature.

I just made reservations to go see my parents in Florida and I plan to sit on the beach and swim with the dolphins for a week. And though I may have sounded out of it earlier life is getting better day by day.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:32:16 pm »
Hi Jnm

A lot of us have been where you are, at one time or another, and maybe more than once or twice......

I've always called my 'ride' with AIDS a "Journey", but lately I've been referring to it more as a "struggle".   I don't know if it helps you or not, but there is a guy in Alabama who is feeling your pain, and sending you love and hugs and lots of positive energy.....

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:58:14 pm »
Welcome Jnm...  Glad you have found us...  I live just across the mountain range from you..  Come up and have dinner with me and Will sometime..  We can compair our notes!!  Our doc is also in Denver so we make that trek quite often...   I hope to get to know you...

Love

Offline Jnm594

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 05:00:11 pm »
Alan,

Thanks for your good thoughts from Bama! I think that "struggle" is the right word, for me anyway. Thanks again for taking the time to say hi! I grew up in the south and they say foo dis the best way to show how you feel so I'm sending you lots of butter covered biscuits and collard greens from the Rocky Mountains!

Jeffrey

Offline Jnm594

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 05:03:31 pm »
Eric,

Sounds like a plan to me! Maybe we can meet up sometime, I would love to. Maybe the next time we both have to be in Denver. Let's keep in touch.

Jeffrey

Offline Nadine

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:03:32 pm »
Hello Jnm...welcome to our family.

It's great that you found your way here!

Your story has touched me deeply.

((BIG HUGS))

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 05:04:31 pm »
Hello Jnm,

Just want to say HELLO and welcome you. I can remember , very well the struggle that I had back in 2003, when my t-cells were at 16. It was a very difficult period of time.

You are certainly doing much better. The t-cells can take some time to rebuild( I thought it would take forever to break that magic 200 number.)

And, it is very important to get that much needed rest. I always make sure to get at least 8 hours of good sleep a day/ The body heals the best then... And nutrition plays a major role, along with ones stress levels. No one needs stress in their lives.

Once again, welcome, will be looking forward to hearing more from you.

Take care of yourself/ Thanks for sharing-------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jnm594

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 05:23:38 pm »
Nadine and Ray, Thank you both! And Nadine-----HOT outfit!!

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 05:39:29 pm »
Hello Jeffrey!  I'm glad ya found your way here  :)  Lots of great people to talk to and become friends with, plus lots of knowledge.  You're far from alone...like you my dog has been my saving grace.  Having her around during the dark times was definitely something that helped to pull me out of the hole.  Hang in there, it's sure to get better  ;)

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Charlie
Poz since 2003.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 06:32:03 pm »
Dear JNM,

Welcome!  I am so glad you decided to be, as my idol Augusto Boal sez, an "actor in this theater of the oppressed."  I agree, alone on the cliff we are insignificant, but together we have each other to lean on.  The millions of us then can really do something!!  Don't stop doing, acting and improvising in your life.  I would love to curse us all with the charge to act, to take up whatever we have and make what we can of it.  And I would like everyone to challenge me when I roll myself up in the coat of "the victim" for to long. 

I feel lonely and isolated where I am, but often this is a choice I make.  Thank you for walking forward and sharing with us.  Sometimes just a few supportive words shared here can change the course of a day, maybe a life...

Don't be afraid to give, support and love.  Don't be afraid to ask for help when you feel like you have nothing left to give, others will hold you up...

With love and support,
Andrew

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.