Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:03:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 521
Total: 523

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: the truth be told  (Read 4084 times)

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
the truth be told
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:14:28 am »
well went to my doc today, took out blood for my second set of results.
everything seemed fine, but she was sick and looked like death lol

she tried to copy count dracula, and gushed me poor little arm of 5 vials of blood  :-[

so it seems that I was right, my last partner did know he was positive. and was on medications.
(but that's in the past now)
and I found out that my genotype is resistant to meds like Atripla, so I won't be able to have " vivid dreams "  :'(
which I wanted, so that I could role-play " alice in wonderland " in my dreams all night long.

p.s I LOVE my doctor, she's kinda " motherly " and eccentric, she was massaging my head when the nurse was sucking my poor arm of all that is good and bloody.

I also love my eligibility lady, she's funny. and she's always telling me new jokes she finds on the internet
~Strange ideas are Superfluous and unoriginal~

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: the truth be told
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:25:41 am »

p.s I LOVE my doctor, she's kinda " motherly " and eccentric, she was massaging my head when the nurse was sucking my poor arm of all that is good and bloody.

:o WHICH head?

Just because you acquired a resistant strain does not necessarily mean your ex knew he was poz or that he was taking meds. If he himself acquired a resistant strain when he was infected, he would pass that same resistant strain on to you. Just food for thought....
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:28:47 am »
Resistant strains aren't necessarily the big deal people think they are.

It's that wild type virus you gotta watch.

MtD

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:32:25 am »
uhm. . . the one on top on my shoulders. .  0_0
well I knew my last partner took meds, but he would never tell me why exactly.
I asked him a few times and he would dodge the question
so maybe he knew, maybe he didn't. it's in the past now

Resistant strains aren't necessarily the big deal people think they are.

It's that wild type virus you gotta watch.

MtD

omg a " wild type"?
is is feral and does it bite?

Offline surf18

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:43 am »
Ok I'm confused on this resistant thing. So say I passed it on would the person I infected be resistant to selzentry and truvada because I'm on those?
Where as say I was not resistant to meds at that first test means the person that got me was not on meds?
And what is wild type?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:17:48 pm »
Ok I'm confused on this resistant thing. So say I passed it on would the person I infected be resistant to selzentry and truvada because I'm on those?
Where as say I was not resistant to meds at that first test means the person that got me was not on meds?
And what is wild type?

Wild type virus means it has never developed a resistance to any of the medications, this means most likely it has never been exposed to medications.

The other question is not so easy to answer.  I'm not so sure anyone can definitively answer that for you.  This is of course assuming that someone on medication can/does pass on the virus.

Offline Billy B

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:52 pm »
Wild type virus means it has never developed a resistance to any of the medications, this means most likely it has never been exposed to medications.

The other question is not so easy to answer.  I'm not so sure anyone can definitively answer that for you.  This is of course assuming that someone on medication can/does pass on the virus.

I have the Wild Type Virus and yes it has never been exposed to meds according to my IDS. This is a good thing!
Billy B
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »
so does the " wild type" virus allow you to go one any medical regimen without problems? since it's never been exposed to other meds

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:43:50 pm »
so does the " wild type" virus allow you to go one any medical regimen without problems? since it's never been exposed to other meds

They do a number of resistance tests if you look far enough back in my posting history (to about 2 years ago) you'll find where I listed my resistances.  It's kind of confusing because I was told I have wild type and a couple of minor resistances.  My guess is in each test they give you it has a chance to turn up a resistance to a class of anti-viral and if it doesn't for that portion of the test it is deemed "wild type".  This could still restrict you to certain meds.  Your doctor didn't talk to you about any of this?  The first questions I had when I got my resistances checked were "What medications are off the table?"

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:14:14 pm »
my doctor was sick today lol
so we met briefly, but she did explain which meds were off the chart for me ( mainly Atripla)
but she also said other mumbo and lingo I didn't understand, but before I could ask she started coughing up a lung  :-\
poor lady was really sick. so she left home

and then a nurse just drew my blood and I completely forgot to bring it up with her since I saw 5 empty vials a big needle approaching me :(

but she told me that we would go into more detail when I go back June 8th

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:31:19 pm »
so it seems that I was right, my last partner did know he was positive. and was on medications.
(but that's in the past now)

Your mentioning it in this thread seems like its not in the past.

So you're thinking:  because I have a resistant strain, that is proof that my ex was lying, was HIV+ and furthermore was not compliant.   A lot of supposition.   Your ex's actions are still rolling in your head. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:55:22 pm »
the resistance profile (meaning anticipated inefficacy of some drugs) is

- not rare (10 to 20 %) in many areas, a bit less than 10 for mine
- not a limitation for treatment success (some combos will be screened off the chart, in order to avoid you probable or anticipated failure if you were taking these)
- a number of once-daily other combos will be off the chart as well (not only atripla) as they share the same efficacy characteristics
- a number of once-daily and /or other convenient enough combos will still be available. They are usually of a more 'modern' history

they do the resistance profile in order to minimize the odds of treatment failure. So they are taking good care of you...

Your doctor may want to give a lesson on adherence.

There are several combos classes, so , the fact that one combo class is off the chart is not a big deal.
But, there are not hundreds of combos classes/options.

There is no doubt that they will come up with a combo that works for you. Once this is achieved, adherence is your best friend in order to stay with this combo.

Cheers

Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 12:37:04 am »
While on the topic, maybe someone can clear up something.  A while back, I read something about archived resistances that may not show up on a genotype, because so much time has gone by.  So, if you get the all clear for all meds, you may, in fact, later realize you do have drug resistance.  Did I read that correctly, or read it incorrectly?? 

Klouny, I can't take Atripla either.  I have the K103N mutation, which I've been told almost always occurs with poor adherence or not being given a full regimen, as was the case with me.  Your virus obviously just already had the resistance.  In any event, everyone tells me we have plenty of other options. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.