Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alcohol and meds  (Read 8883 times)

Offline loop78

Alcohol and meds
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:54:06 am »
I've had this on my mind for quite a while, but never got around to ask you about it.

Ok, so I don't usually drink alcohol, but every once while it's fun to go out, have some drinks, and lose yourself to dance.

However, ever since I started meds, it's like I've been vaccinated against alcohol. I can have 3 or 4 gins & tonic, and it's as if I had 3 or 4 cups of warm milk. No effect whatsoever.

Usually by the time my friends are a little drunk, and I give up and end up coming back home early cause I get bored and don't get in the mood.

I'm on atripla, and by the way, though it never gave me mind trips or depression, I feel it's more difficult for me to connect on a emotional level with other people... May be myself getting older, though.

Offline ratcat

Re: Alcohol and meds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:58:18 am »
I'd like to hear some responses as well as I'm going to start Atripla soon.  I don't want to become an anti-social tea toteler lol.

Offline Fisher

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:06:22 pm »
Been on Atripla for about 9 months. Still drink beer. One suggestion, though. If you have a cell phone set your alarm for pill taking. It's easy to forget when distracted. And taking meds an hour late or the next morning creates unnecessary anxiety.
- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:44 pm »
More often, I've heard the opposite:  people become more sensitive to alcohol when taking Atripla.  You would find threads on these forums if you did a search.

I really don't have any idea what to make of this.  Maybe Atripla is the new cure / preventative for hangovers?  Personally, the older I get the less tolerance I have for alcohol. 

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline loop78

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:33:01 am »
More often, I've heard the opposite:  people become more sensitive to alcohol when taking Atripla.  You would find threads on these forums if you did a search.

Yeah, I have found them. That's why precisely why I ask, couldn't find a similar case. Don't know why, but somethings seems to have change in the way I metabolize alcohol since I started meds...

Offline loop78

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:58:59 am »
By the way, I've had a quite high GGT level ever since I started meds.

I drink very little, tops 3 gins & tonic a month... Could this elevated GGT level be related to the way I metabolize alcohol?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:11:36 am »
What does your doctor say about your elevated GGT levels?

Have you been screened for hep B and hep C?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline loop78

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:39:55 am »
They seemed concerned at first. But after screening me for hep of all kinds and even having a liver ultrasound, and all the results coming back negative, they blamed it on the meds and told me not worry, as it was the only elevated liver enzyme.

I have a theory with no basis whatsoever. Last month I was prescribed oral antifungals for a nails and hands infection (I've been having the dreaded white tongue, for quite a long time, too... though it was largely a cosmetic issue I solved using a tongue scraper every morning, when I seroconverted, my tongue and my throat hurt like hell). I don't really know for sure if it's candida, but if it was, I may've had a low level systemic candida overgrowth for quite a long time, and it may've been taxing my liver without creating any other visible symptoms. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Offline bill33

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:15:10 am »
I was on Atripla for years and enjoyed the head trips and dreams. The Atripla fueled dreams were blue ray type stuff instead of the old boring black and white pre Atripla dreams. Alcohol however, has changed for me too. Unfortunately, I can no longer drink the wide assortment I enjoyed years ago. Now I drink red wine to boost my HDL and lower my LDL. Yup that's right, red wine is now medication and right up there with Crestor. Heck even my fishing drink of Moosehead beer and spicy V8 juice has taken a back seat to red wine. So if age or hiv meds effect my ability to slam a few, who cares cause I have my bottle of medicinal red wine! Happy, happy, happy!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:17:21 am by bill33 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:22:06 am »

I have my bottle of medicinal red wine!

Just curious - how much red wine are you drinking to achieve the cholesterol-lowering effect?

my fishing drink of Moosehead beer and spicy V8 juice

Um, ew, you mix them together? Beer and V8? ~shudder~ ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Tool man

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:49:14 am »
I love red wine, but since I started sustiva then to atripla, I cannot drink wine or beer without vomiting yellow stomach acid about 5 minutes after I get up in the morning.
No this is not a hangover issue, less than half a glass of wine will cause this issue as well as any food with turmeric in it. It will be interesting to see if this changes when I eventually change meds to something without sustiva.
Thank the gods for vodka and gin!

TM
Like I tell my husband, "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong."

Offline bill33

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:29:57 pm »
I only have three to six ounces per day of red wine. That is a small amount but, it works for me. My HDL count fell to 17 when my hiv doc gave me a choice between taking more meds to raise my HDL count or start drinking red wine. After a few months of diligently guzzling red wine my HDL count reached the low 40s and continued to climb into the 50s and eventually reached the low 60s. But, after switching from Atripla to Complera and eating mostly fish, veggies, fruit and sipping red wine my total cholesterol dropped from 155 to 84 with my HDL about mid 30s. All the switching between meds, diet and red wine I honestly don't know what is responsible for lower cholesterol and higher HDL.

Moosehead beer and spicy V8 juice is great especially when handling fish and bait. I agree if I lived in an area with great beer I'd be a purist too. Still, there must be a hunter gatherer thing going when I fish that makes Moosehead and V8 taste so good. What can I say!??

Offline weasel

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:48:02 am »
Just curious - how much red wine are you drinking to achieve the -lowering effect?

Red Wine did a great job for my cholesterol   .

I try not eating red meat when I am home , Hard to do on Vacation .

I limit myself to one box of red wine a day  :-X

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline ratcat

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 04:23:28 am »
I see.  Beer causes vomiting in the morning.  Gin and Vodka seem to not conflict and red wine lowers cholesterol.  I will conduct some experiments and then submit the results myself based on these accounts ;p....I wonder where I can find a BOX of red Wine here in Asia lol. :P :P 8)

Offline PiscesAries82

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 02:38:42 am »
Hey Loop,

I've been on Atripla since March 2013, and I've had little to no side effects. I will say that my dreams are just slightly more vivid than before I started the treatment. At first, I would feel a bit fuzzy maybe 30 minutes after taking my medicine but it would subside within a hour. To answer your question, I was very sensitive to alcohol when I first started Atripla. I felt like I was two sheets to the wind after one drink. Now things seem to be back to normal now. It may just be your body adjusting to the medicine. I say give it some time to see if things go back to normal. If insensitivity to alcohol is your worst problem with Atripla, then you are very fortunate. I've heard/read some crazy side-effect stories. :)

I've had this on my mind for quite a while, but never got around to ask you about it.

Ok, so I don't usually drink alcohol, but every once while it's fun to go out, have some drinks, and lose yourself to dance.

However, ever since I started meds, it's like I've been vaccinated against alcohol. I can have 3 or 4 gins & tonic, and it's as if I had 3 or 4 cups of warm milk. No effect whatsoever.

Usually by the time my friends are a little drunk, and I give up and end up coming back home early cause I get bored and don't get in the mood.

I'm on atripla, and by the way, though it never gave me mind trips or depression, I feel it's more difficult for me to connect on a emotional level with other people... May be myself getting older, though.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 10:04:22 am »

Ugh, I have friends who do that.  It's disgusting to watch.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 10:05:52 am »
I've been on Atripla for nearly 6 years and I don't really notice any difference in the way alcohol affects me.

Of course I also moved to a state that outlawed serving normal 6% alcohol beer - all we get here is the watered-down 3.2% crap (welcome to the bible belt).

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 11:13:30 am »
The meds can be harmful to the liver. My psychiatrist asked me to stop drinking for that reason so I quit. I only had a couple beers a couple nights a week but I have to admit I feel much better since I stopped.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 01:59:13 pm »
Just curious - how much red wine are you drinking to achieve the cholesterol-lowering effect?

UH OH, must once again be a regional thing.  I know lots of people who mix these.  It's usually referred to as a West Virginian or poor man's bloody mary.  I almost always add tomato juice to my first beer as I generally don't enjoy the taste of beer until after a couple.  I usually add a little hot sauce and pepper to kick it up a notch.

Too bad white wine doesn't lower cholesterol or I could toss these damn statins.   ;D   Red wine for me is worse in the backside area than AZT ever was.

Wolfie

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 02:03:24 pm »
The key with beer is not buying crap.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »
The key with beer is not buying crap.

My new home is mere feet from a nice micro brewery that I have tried and hated worse than all the domestic beer.  I tried several in Seattle also and found them nasty as well.

If it's beer, it's Busch Light.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 02:35:42 pm »
fascinating  8) :P

Brings to mind a group of first year sorority girls...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:39:28 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 03:16:16 pm »

If it's beer, it's Busch Light.

lolz. This perhaps may be the first time EVER that this has been uttered in the history of man.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:20:02 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »
lolz. This perhaps may be the first time EVER that this has been uttered in the history of man.

Might be true, but as of my last research, this beer contains the least amount of calories.   :o

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.