Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 360
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Being on my own means....  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
Being on my own means....
« on: June 20, 2006, 09:46:42 pm »
The perils of living alone...

I have had to kill spiders by myself (Terrifying)...but tonight, I had to change my bike tire for the first time.  Haven't cycled for that long, seen it done, but never attempted a back tire....%^&*()_**

One hour (ok I'll cop to it being longer than that), one internet search, one busted valve stem, one speaker phone call and one completely destroyed manicure later....I have done it!  "I have changed tire" (said in Tom Hank's voice..."I have made fire" from Cast Away). 

I'm not sure this girl power thing is so great afterall.  Is this supposed to be satisfying?  Ok...maybe a little.  :-\

Sae
(who wonders how the hell to get bike chain grease off her legs and hands)

Meh.

Offline Sdgirl

Re: Being on my own means....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:06:28 pm »
Let's talk about the powers of the BUTTER KNIFE!  OMG!  Who needs a powerdrill, screwdriver, hammer or anything else when you have a BUTTER KNIFE!

I live alone and can fix ANYTHING!  It might take me a few hours, but where there is a will, there is a way!  But lets be perfectly clear........................I AM NOT going to buy anything from IKEA, because you have to put EVERYTHING together from them......................and that is just plain stupid!

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:10:06 pm »
I'm impressed !   Hanging pictures on the wall is about the extent of my mechanical ability........

Oh, and I do know how to put gas in the car and add windshield washer fluid. Anything more than that......forget it.  :D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 10:13:50 pm »
Lisa,

Too funny...have butter knife will travel.  You funny.

Stupid me...I have assembled IKEA stuff...their allen wrenches seriously suck.
Still, I'd rather be here and frustrated with a tire...than back where I was.  Life is good.

Sae
(who was a Tomboy...way back when....and is not the princess type despite a penchant for pink and shoes....ok pink shoes)

Meh.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 10:39:07 pm »
Oh lordy..you should have seen me fix the toliet. I figured that i build airplanes..i can fix a toliet. I had to change the seal. Went to the hardware  store and the guy told me how to do it.  So  i shut off the water from the meter outside and show my daughter how to do it. So i go in ..take the insides of the tank out..and get the seal changed. Im feeling so proud..i didnt tighten the thingy so tight to crack the tank. Im doing so good. Put the insides back in...tell my daughter to go out and turn on the water. She turns on the water..water is shooting straight up out the back of my toliet. I grab the trash can trying to catch as much water as i can and my daughter comes in to me yelling to turn it off. She runs back out and turns the water off. I had water all over..i had to go to my moms to borrow her shampooer to suck all the water up from my carpet....Then i figured out what i did wrong with putting the insides back in....but hey i got it fixed...LOL

We woman can do it when we set our minds to it.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Biggums

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 11:42:24 pm »
I am laughing my ass off over the butter knife thing.  My baby fixed the vacuum cleaner last night with brute strength and a butter knife!  He's my hero!
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 01:31:01 am »
The perils of living alone...

I have had to kill spiders by myself (Terrifying)...but tonight, I had to change my bike tire for the first time.  Haven't cycled for that long, seen it done, but never attempted a back tire....%^&*()_**

One hour (ok I'll cop to it being longer than that), one internet search, one busted valve stem, one speaker phone call and one completely destroyed manicure later....I have done it!  "I have changed tire" (said in Tom Hank's voice..."I have made fire" from Cast Away). 

I'm not sure this girl power thing is so great afterall.  Is this supposed to be satisfying?  Ok...maybe a little.  :-\

Sae
(who wonders how the hell to get bike chain grease off her legs and hands)

Be grateful you've never had to kill one of these:

They live under my house. They play cards with the Devil on Monday nights.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 03:47:49 am »
Hey Lisa..a women after my own heart.

After my husband got snowed in and couldn't get home for a week I had to finish the Alpacas and goats sleeping quarters before the weather got any worse.
I managed to get the separating wall up..(it was only 3ft high) but I then had to hang two gates at the entrance to the stalls, I had all the tools at hand, brackets, nails and slide bolts...when I opened the tool box I pulled out 7 screw drivers and not one of them was the size I was looking for, so I headed off to the kitchen, and yes you guessed it, the brackets, slide bolts and nails where all finished off with  the trusted BUTTER KNIFE...and if I say so myself it was a job well done.
When are you guys going to learn that you don't need to spend good money on a shed full of screw drivers when you can get a good butter knife for less than a couple of bucks...so get rid of the screw drivers and that includes the philips screw driver because a butter knife works on those nails as well.

"POWER TO THE BUTTER KNIFE"  a women's best friend.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Markmt

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:28:30 am »
Geeeeee, I thought I was the only one doing that....thnks guys and gals, I feel bit after better reading that  :D
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline Consumed

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 10:49:38 am »
don't be so nice to her she didn't tell you what she does to me with that knife.
LYS

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 10:52:25 am »
eep
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 11:23:04 am »
Sae
(who was a Tomboy...way back when....and is not the princess type despite a penchant for pink and shoes....ok pink shoes)

I can't visiualized Sae as a Tomboy...somehow it doesn't fit with what I have seen.  ???

The Canuck
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:50:06 pm by The Canuck »

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 02:49:09 pm »
Consumed...

Pass the margarine you freak......

Sae.
Meh.

Offline Consumed

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 03:06:26 pm »

Parkay!
LYS

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.