Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:09:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: spam/phishing on poz.com personals?!?!  (Read 4452 times)

Offline poz1970

spam/phishing on poz.com personals?!?!
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:45:08 am »
I just got the following message on poz.com personals, and have no idea who to report them to.  It seems like a very strange mail to be sent on there, and the detail they want seems to include a bit of information that could be used for identity theft (?)

Subject: HELLO MY GOOD FRIEND
Sent: Nov 12, 2007 5:28 AM (FLID:)

HELLO MY GOOD FRIEND Dear Friend, I am Barrister [snip], an attorney at law in London. A deceased client of mine, by name Mr. [snip] died in New Orleans with his wife and two children as a result of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.. The security company has issued me a notice to contact the next of kin, or the funds will be confiscated. My proposition to you is to seek your consent to present you as the next-of-kin and beneficiary of my late client, so that the proceeds of this funds can be paid to you, then we can share the amount on a mutually agreed-upon percentage. All legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next-of-kin will be provided,all i require is your honest cooperation to enable us see this transaction through. This will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. If this business proposition offends your moral values, do accept my apology.Please contact me at once to indicate your interest. However if you are willing to assist me in this venture i will be very greatfull to hear from you and bring you into a much better picture of the situation. Now my questions are:- 1. Can you handle this project? 2. Can I give you this trust? 3. What will be your commission? If you can sponsor this Transfer, consider this and get back to me as soon as Possible. Upon the receipt of this mail message, feel free to send the Following details to my private email ([removed]) so as to enable us start the processing of the of the documents that will enhance the releasing of the fund to you. 1. Your full Names and contact Address. 2. Your private Telephone, cell phone and fax numbers. Plus any forms of your personal Identification. I look forward to receiving your prompt response Best Regards, Barrister [snip]

I've removed names from the mail, but you get the gist of it..

J

"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
Re: spam/phishing on poz.com personals?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:01:15 am »
Barrister my a…

Sat in an Internet café in downtown Lagos is probably closer to the mark  ;)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:07:22 am »
There have been warnings published on this for over a year. The scam is, they'll send you a check and you cash it and then you keep some of the money and send the rest to an account. The check will bounce at your bank and you'll be out of all the cash. Since it is from a foreign account you have no way to make restitution.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:08:17 am »
Well, he says he's a barrister. I think you should go for it.

MtD

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:15:44 am »
I don't know who you would report this to on the pozpersonals site.  I get those every once in awhile on my personal email and I immediately delete them.  I can't believe anyone would be falling for this after all the information and warnings about them.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:13:56 am »
Report anything phishy to

personals@poz.com

I have received the same emails a few times this year, along with the typical Nigerian scammers.  I even "cut to the chase" with one "sweet talker" and told him to go to his nearest Western Union as I had NO problem wiring him $1500 in the next hour.   :D

Needless to say he didn't write back.  I cuss them out and block them, usually, or mess with their heads, the stupid f**ks.

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline poz1970

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 12:04:37 pm »

personals@poz.com

I have received the same emails a few times this year, along with the typical Nigerian scammers.  I even "cut to the chase" with one "sweet talker" and told him to go to his nearest Western Union as I had NO problem wiring him $1500 in the next hour.   :D

Needless to say he didn't write back.  I cuss them out and block them, usually, or mess with their heads, the stupid f**ks.

~ Cindy

Ta, thats the information I needed :-)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 02:44:13 pm »
My ex-partner was Nigerian.  Can we please be a bit more respectful here?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 02:46:23 pm »
Respectful to whom? You or the Nigerian scammers?

MtD

Offline Clearwater71

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 03:37:17 pm »

personals@poz.com

~ Cindy

Cindy

That's some funny stuff there! It makes me almost want to get one of those emails myself now.  You are right, report it then take out all of your frustrations on the bonehead.  Please post any other coping mechanisms you might have as I presume you probably have some real gems.   ;) Thank you!

Karl

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 03:53:27 pm »
Lets not forget those beloved Russian brides too.

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 03:55:45 pm »
Say sure, but you want the check in person, and if they'll will buy you a plane ticket you'll be right over!
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline 404error

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 03:35:30 pm »
If it weren't for the Russian mail order brides, I'd get no messages at all...
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 08:17:35 pm »
I almost got caught up like that. Mailed the check to me and everything. I took it to the bank but thanks to Cindy had my bank trace the check. I got hit with a 20 buck bad check fee but had my bank notify Wells Fargo. I proceeded to cuss the dude out who sent it to me who had the nerve to threaten me and accuse me of keeping his money..WTF? They have commercials out about stuff like that now, I think the site is fakecheck.org
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline poz1970

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 04:37:44 am »
no response from personals@poz.com I hope they removed the person at least

J

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.