Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:50:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 312
Total: 314

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Calcium/Vitamin D  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Scotian

Calcium/Vitamin D
« on: December 30, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »
After my most recent bloodwork, the clinic nutritionist suggested I take a Calcium and Vitamin D supplement. I think mostly because of the long term effects of meds ?- not a current dificency.
She says 1500 mg of calcium  and 800IU of Vit D  daily.  Is there a combo type dose you can take or do you have to take it a cpl times a day  --  seperate pill for Vit D  seperate for calcium?
Also, I heard it was better to take calcium 'citrate'  not carbonate? Any feedback on this appreciated.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Calcium/Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:00:37 pm »
After my most recent bloodwork, the clinic nutritionist suggested I take a Calcium and Vitamin D supplement. I think mostly because of the long term effects of meds ?-

Is one of your meds Viread ?  My doctor also suggested I take it.  I take caltrate. Suggested use: Take one tablet, twice daily with food , or as directed by your doctor. Each tablet contains : ( I take one per day)

Vitamin D 400 IU
Calcuim 600mg
Magnesium 50
Zinc 7.5mg
Copper 1mg
Manganese 1.8 mg
Boron 250mcg

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:06:59 pm »
carbonate, 1200mg calcium/1600 IU vit D daily

I've only heard this suggested for those of us on viread (or truvada as viread is a component)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Scotian

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:12:04 am »
thanks for the info...i am on  truvada/norvir/reyataz ...just started 3 months ago. i do eat well and take a multi vitamin...i've read alot of good things about  getting extra Vit D-- especially in the winter ( i live in canada) so not as much sunlight

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:02:54 am »
You can do your own research on this, but I've read and heard it stated by TV docs on Oprah, etc., that you should not rely on Vitamin D in a multivitamin tablet. The multivitamin formulation cannot be as well absorbed as a separate Vitamin D tablet.
Most likely your doc requested you take these based on studies, one of which a summary had been published on aidsmeds, that HIV and/or HIV meds lower bone density.  I'm surprised she didn't explain that to you before just telling you to go take some pills.

Offline edfu

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 06:02:14 am »
The difference between calcium citrate and calcium carbonate is that citrate does not need stomach acid to be broken down; it can be taken on an empty stomach, at any time, with or without food.  Carbonate MUST be taken with food to be effective.  If you take antacids, or you are middle-aged, when stomach acid normally decreases, citrate is recommended.  In the U.S. (I don't know about Canada) there is a non-prescription medication called Citracal, which combines calcium citrate and Vitamin D in one tablet. 

As Mitch has already mentioned, you should research "osteopenia" on the main board here.  This is a weakening of the bones that is a potential precursor to osteoporosis, which can be a normal occcurrence in old age.  However, recent research indicates that bone weakening may be a result of long-time HIV infection and/or unknown HAART medications.  I have been diagnosed with osteopenia, based on a bone-densitometry test (like an X-ray).  My doctor says this could be due to my age (66), smoking, long-time infection with HIV (over 20 years), or my HIV medications.  No one knows for certain.   He recommended I take Citracal.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:32:45 pm »
Hey,

After my most recent bloodwork, the clinic nutritionist suggested I take a Calcium and Vitamin D supplement. I think mostly because of the long term effects of meds ?- not a current dificency.
She says 1500 mg of calcium  and 800IU of Vit D  daily.  Is there a combo type dose you can take or do you have to take it a cpl times a day  --  seperate pill for Vit D  seperate for calcium?
Also, I heard it was better to take calcium 'citrate'  not carbonate? Any feedback on this appreciated.

To determine the right amount of vitamin D to take, the best way is to get your level measured regularly by blood test.

I take several meds that deplete vitamin D . Not HIV meds , mind you, but psych meds and meds for acid reflux.  I don't go out in the sun much.

Through several blood tests and experimenting with different supplementation levels, I determined that the correct dose of vitamin D for me to take to maintain my level in the normal range is upwards of 5,000 IU per day. And a bit more in the winter. I am on 6500 right now.

I think the RDA for vitamin D (400 IU) is grossly underestimated, even for people who don't take meds that deplete it.

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:58:03 pm »
just wanted to say that some of the calciums bind with antibiotics you might be prescribed at some point in your care--so be aware of this. Also, the calciums that contain magnesium can cause loose stools in some people---calcium itself can be binding and cause constipation ( which in my case is a good thing---lol) so they add magnesium to it. So if your meds cause diarrhea you should probably look for a magnesium free brand of calcium. Additionally some calcium formulas can cause a lot of gas.
I have not had any problems with Citrical brand and to save money i buy the Target brand which is the same formula but a lot cheaper.
Good luck

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:00:12 am »
to clarify---the calcium binds with the antibioitic which then cannot get out into your blood stream where its needed and you pass it through you out to the toilet. This is why some of the antibioitics say on the bottles to avoid dairy products when taking.

Offline edfu

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:53:45 am »
the calciums that contain magnesium can cause loose stools in some people

Good point.  Anyone who is having problems with diarrhea should avoid magnesium completely.  Check your multi-vitamin or supplements.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.