Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 10, 2024, 01:51:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773099
  • Total Topics: 66327
  • Online Today: 351
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 296
Total: 297

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I Love You Phillip Morris  (Read 3058 times)

Offline ds4146

I Love You Phillip Morris
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »
I am not sure what to make of it.....if you have not seen it, stop reading now.

If you have seen it, well were you not a little pissed off that someone would fake something like that. Granted I knew nothing prior to seeing it and so perhap that might have given me a clue. Very mixed feelings, I really enjoyed it and clearly bought into the drama at the end.....and then left feeling what kind of shit fakes that.... and then kinda of laughed.

It was a good movie. I hate Jim Carey, but Jimmy sure was cute!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: I Love You Phillip Morris
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:48:51 pm »
a lot of movies use the plot device of faking a disease - or even faking death.
Would it have bothered you as much if he had faked cancer?

I thought it was a pretty good movie too. Or maybe I just have the hots for gay Obi-Wan  :D ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:05:42 am »
Haven't seen it nor do I know what it is about. From previews it looks like Jim Carrey is playing a gay man but other than that, it is lost on me....I wouldn't mind seeing it...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:15:01 am »
based on the real life true story of con artist, impostor, and multiple prison escapee Steven Jay Russell played by Jim Carrey. While incarcerated, Russell falls in love with his fellow inmate, Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor). After Morris is released from prison, Russell escapes from prison four times in order to be reunited with Morris. - wiki description
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline komnaes

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:45:53 am »
What's surprising (well, maybe not) is that this film was shown almost everywhere else except in America. The DVD was released months ago in the UK and I saw it in a friend's place (here all DVD players have their regional coding disabled.. I know..). So don't understand why it took so long for a commercial release in the US.

Gotta admit Jim Carrey is a bit of a guilty pleasure and I have loved his comedies since way back when he was a stable in "Living Color". His Vanilla Ice parody and the Vera Demilo character are simply TV classics .. and "Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind" is definitely one of my top 10 movies. But IMO he doesn't seem to know whether to act seriously or again do this crazy comedic overacting in Philip Morris... and Ewan McGregor, as good an actor that he is, always fail to do it properly when it comes to American accent..

The faking AIDS bit isn't offensive to me .. as the saying goes, "if you can't laugh about it, what can you do?"..
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:58:36 am »
So don't understand why it took so long for a commercial release in the US.
I think this movie was actually filmed in like 07 or 08, so it's taken a long time to reach the screens here in the US. (but was easily downloaded a year or so ago. LOL I've had it so long I may have to re-watch to remember what all happened.) Here's more info from wiki, and which is what I had heard previously:

"After original difficulty finding a U.S. distributor, likely due to its explicit gay sexual content, the film was re-edited.[3] In May 2009, it was announced by Variety that Consolidated Pictures Group has acquired the rights for distribution.[4]

The film was released in Europe, Taiwan and Japan between February and April 2010. Although a limited run in the United States was initially scheduled for April 30, 2010, it was later reported that the film's release had been indefinitely postponed by its distributors, Consolidated Pictures Group[5] but on April 12, 2010, Variety announced the distributor had had a change of heart and that I Love You Phillip Morris would be shown in limited theaters starting July 30 before expanding nationwide on August 6.[6]

On June 3, 2010, the film was delayed yet again due to legal battles. The film was finally released on December 3, 2010 after Roadside Attractions and Liddell Entertainment acquired the rights to distribute in the United States.[7]"

But IMO he doesn't seem to know whether to act seriously or again do this crazy comedic overacting in Philip Morris... and Ewan McGregor, as good an actor that he is, always fail to do it properly when it comes to American accent..
that's spot on, man. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline randym431

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:19:40 am »
yeah I never knew of this film till i seen the trailer on either appletv or vudu (cant remember where). But it wasn't available for rent or sale. So I looked for it and its nowhere to be found. Then saw it on amazon for $17. Still have not ordered it. Waiting to see if it shows up on netflix or some other online video service. Here i thought it was brand new after watching the trailer, then discovered its been around for some time. Just not in the U.S. Looks like one of Carrey's better films. Or roles.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:34:58 am »
"After original difficulty finding a U.S. distributor, likely due to its explicit gay sexual content, the film was re-edited.[3] In May 2009, it was announced by Variety that Consolidated Pictures Group has acquired the rights for distribution.[4]

This doesn't surprise me.  Wasn't Oliver Stone forced to cut gay scenes from "Alexander" for release here?  It seems like I remember reading that back when that movie came out.

I got this from the internets:

Warner Bros. pushed back the opening date of Oliver Stone's Alexander from Nov. 5 to Nov. 24 because it wanted Stone to cut some of the love scenes between Alexander, played by Colin Farrell and his male lover Bagoas, played by Francisco Bosch, according to MSNBC.com's "Scoop" column. It quoted an unnamed insider as saying, "Some of the suits at Warner Bros. think that the movie-going public just isn't ready to see that. ... There's some pretty heated arguments going on over it." Alexander is depicted as a bisexual in the film, which also includes heterosexual love scenes involving the title character. A Warner Bros. spokeswoman declined to discuss the report, saying "We wouldn't talk about anything involving the process of making a movie."

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:40 am »
Ok, I am only commenting on the character as portrayed in the film, and not the realism that is supposed to be based on a true story.

I see the story this way - it is the story of a really fucked up guy, who is also charming and seductive. He is a combination of pathological liar, narcissist and histrionic.  Some of the ways people suffer because of his illness are horrifying. If you have ever loved someone who is afflicted with one of these psychiatric problems, or several, you will realize that you are supposed to both have empathy for the character but also respect the way he fucks up himself and others.

Faking AIDS was just another possibility for a sick person like this. Also, I doubt that part was based on reality, it doesn't seem possible. If it was like that in reality, bravo, he is in the really top class of impostures.  There have been some really amazing artful liars like this in history, and it is a recurring theme in art.

By the way, I thought the movie was uneven and I didn't like it because I think some gay people can complain its another negative portrayal of really fucked up gayness.  But its not, really.  The love between he and his ex wife, and he and his new bf is touching.  But he hurts them both, because he's so selfish.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.