Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:48:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 234
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dr. Yong Kang - any news?  (Read 59589 times)

Offline xxname

Dr. Yong Kang - any news?
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:19:32 pm »

Researcher of the Month - November 1, 2007

University of Western Ontario   

A Two-Decade Quest to End Aids
“This vaccine has the potential of saving millions of lives,” says Yong Kang, a professor of Microbiology and Immunology in the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at The University of Western Ontario. It’s always wise to have realistic expectations, but Kang hopes he is closer to finding a cure for HIV/AIDS – and he’s already much nearer to succeeding than most have ever been.
The AIDS pandemic has killed more than 25 million people and infected 40 million more since the virus was first discovered in 1981, and experts say a viable vaccine is the best hope of ending the tragedy. Kang's tireless quest to develop a vaccine against HIV/AIDS has spanned nearly two decades and has just entered a new phase. "The results look encouraging, and we are now moving onto pre-clinical animal toxicology trials," he says.
Kang's work has produced one of the few technologies to make it so far in a process where dozens of other potential vaccines have failed. His technology could not only produce antibodies against HIV, but also prime T-cells to destroy cells harboring the virus, essentially curing a patient with HIV infection.
"We created a genetically modified HIV and recombinant human adenoviruses to develop a vaccine which can prevent HIV infection and clear HIV-infected cells. It can produce antibodies against HIV and educate one type of white blood cells to find infected cells and kill them," explains Kang. "We hope the vaccine will not only prevent HIV infection, but that it can be used as an immuno-therapeutic agent."
With the help of Western’s Industry Liaison office, Kang licensed his inventions to Curocom, a publicly traded holding company in Korea. Curocom is sponsoring research in Kang's lab and recently opened a subsidiary office at Western’s Research Park to accelerate aspects of the commercialization process of the HIV vaccine program.
Kang’s vaccine is currently being manufactured in a Maryland laboratory in anticipation of FDA approval to continue with Phase 1 and 2 human clinical trials. His vaccine could be available for therapeutic use within three years and for use as a preventive vaccine within the next six years(?????????). (IS TRUE?????????????)
Kang was educated in Korea and Denmark for his undergraduate[/b] studies, received his Ph.D. from McMaster University, D.Sc. from Carleton University and did his postdoctoral training at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He taught at the University of Texas and the University of Ottawa, before coming to The University of Western Ontario as the Dean of Science in 1992.

For further information, please contact Dr. Yong Kang at 519-661-3226 or cykang@uwo.ca

http://www.chrcrm.org/main/modules/pageworks/index.php?page=002&id=565

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: IS TRUE??????????????
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:56:47 pm »
It's another overly zealous press release designed to inflate the stock price of the companies named within.  No researcher worth his salt would make such pronouncements before the approval of even Phase 1 trials in humans.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:07:45 pm »
The results look encouraging

How many thimes have we heard this, and how many times have we been let down..but I like to keep an open mind, so we can only wait and see.

But I have to agree with this

Posted on: Today at 08:56:47 amPosted by: redhotmuslbear 
Insert Quote
It's another overly zealous press release designed to inflate the stock price of the companies named within.  No researcher worth his salt would make such pronouncements before the approval of even Phase 1 trials in humans

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 06:38:26 pm »
This has been discussed extensively in other threads.  I would be interested to see if/when any news comes out about the potential upcoming US trials...but I haven't heard anything yet.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline mark86

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:56:53 pm »
Had a look on the Western Ontario website....did find Dr Yang but nowhere did i find any mention of HIV Vaccine work, no news or anything...very strange..would of thought they would of said something about it....If anyone else can find any mention of it on their website, do let us all know.

Cheers,
Mark86

Offline Jake72

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »
Here are some references to Dr. Kang and his research on the UWO website:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hiv+vaccine+kang&as_sitesearch=uwo.ca

Nothing earth-shattering, but apparently the research is going on, with UWO acknowledging it.

Offline J220

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:12:11 pm »
Yes this has been discussed in other threads.

Last I heard they (Dr. Kang and Curocom, the Korean company financing the trials) were waiting for the final FDA approval to start phase 1.

At least the Korean company has significant faith in the vaccine technology Dr. Kang has developed, given that they are providing $50 million dollars to test the vaccine. Let's hope for the best.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline denniss

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 10:51:04 pm »
His vaccine could be available for therapeutic use within three years and for use as a preventive vaccine within the next six years(?????????). (IS TRUE?????????????)

eer, actually available in 2 yrs now according to this 2006 article!
http://www.canadian-universities.net/News/Press-Releases/October_17_2006_CLINICAL_TRIALS_NEXT_FOR_HIV-AIDS_VACCINE_KOREAN_B.html

If its actually true, I hope the powers that be dont sit on it!

Denniss

Offline bimazek

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:11:52 pm »
How many thimes have we heard this, and how many times have we been let down..but I like to keep an open mind, so we can only wait and see.

But I have to agree with this

Hugs
Jan

Annie as the Global Moderator Member I dont see how this kind of fatalistic negative hopeless post does any good and perhaps you could speak for yourself, as "I" not we, and why as someone who i am assuming is on haart, which was created by hard work of scientists are you not reverent and respectful of the very hard work of millions of underpaid researchers including this one

How many thimes have i heard this, and how many times have i been let down

this is great great progress being made

they are almost at a solution

there are 150 new meds in the pipeline according to the latest issue of poz mag or in trials

they are coming up, in trials,  with new non nukes that dont cause the bad dreams and neuro effects

etc

we --- and perhaps i should say all of you who are on meds, because i am not on them yet, but i will if i get to 350 t cells

"we" should all be bowing down to science for keeping us alive

and

respect the hard work of researchers all over the world

i also disagree with the idea that companies post announcements to get the stock price up

they have to be extremely careful what and when they do any press release if they are a real company
and they deserve to have freedom of speech

happy new year

Offline datdude

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:12:09 pm »
I strongly agree, hope is what keeps me living

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:56 am »
I also agree.  The one I've focused on is the Koronis trial. Even if it might be a "let down" in the end, it will serve a purpose to get me through yet another year... and then on to the next great hope.  One of these days, one of them will actually come through.  Look how long it took the integrase inhibitors to finally come to be... and look how potent Isentress seems to be.  I'm also still waiting for the Ensoli vaccine trials to start again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:12:50 am by MitchMiller »

Offline mark86

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 05:58:43 am »
Interesting point about the Ensoli trials....
I had a quick google and it seems Phase 1 finished a few years ago. The only reference to it i could find was..

AIDS. 2006 Nov 28;20(18):2245-61.Related Articles, Links
Candidate HIV-1 Tat vaccine development: from basic science to clinical trials.

Ensoli B, Fiorelli V, Ensoli F, Cafaro A, Titti F, Buttò S, Monini P, Magnani M, Caputo A, Garaci E.

but there was no abstract i could read. Is this still moving forward or are there problems ???

Hope its still ok though...

Mark86

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 04:31:17 pm »
Biz, while I generally agree with what you are saying and am 100% a fan of scientific research, there is no denying that public companies are beholden to stock holders and are from time to time guilty of timing certain announcements in relation to stock price. 

As for Ensoli - what the hell happened to that thing?  From what I was reading on the 'old' forum, there were supposedly people who had stopped meds and continued to have undetectable vl.  Yet I can't find anything about it now except references to law suits over who discovered what, ect, ect.  What a dissapointment.  At one point, there was an activist from Italy who posted here a few times to let us know what was happening over there, but I haven't heard from him in a while.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...

Offline Jake72

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 04:37:18 pm »
ah, the famous Ensoli trials...

Well, it appears that they turned into something resembling an Italian soap opera with egos bruised and reputations tarnished when one of Ensoli's former cronies criticized her research.  Where did this end up?  In court.

Here's some coverage of the mess:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-08/13/content_6520455.htm

(I had my eye on this vaccine too.  At least there are more strategies in the pipeline.) 

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 06:59:45 pm »
So annoying.  How about taking the money from the friggin lawsuits and putting it into trials?  Are the trials actually going on?  What about the people who already got the vaccine - surely someone must be following them.  I still don't see any mention of any of that anywhere.  What a waste.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50

Offline J220

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 08:48:20 pm »
Well according to the article linked by Jake the second phase did begin, and should take 2-3 years. If true, this could conceivably explain the lack of news, since no researcher will comment on a particular phase until the moment it ends and data analyzed. Fingers crossed, I guess.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline xxname

any news??
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:43 am »
Any news about dr Kang from University of Western Ontario(Canada)?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Dr. Yong Kang - any news?
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:47 am »
xxname,

I've merged your new thread on the subject of Dr. Kang with the one you started on the same subject back in January. I also changed the thread's title so people can know at a glance what the thread is about. I would appreciate it if you'd make the subject of your thread clear in the title in future.

I'd also appreciate it if you would keep subjects in one thread, instead of starting new threads on subjects with an already existing thread. If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leit

Re: any news??
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 10:53:04 am »

Any news about dr Kang from University of Western Ontario(Canada)?

He's working as a clown in a circus, together with many other "HIV/AIDS researchers".

Offline georgep77

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 02:20:30 pm »
LoL Leit.....   ;D
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 04:15:25 pm »
Hopefully that clown will fool us all and find a cure. ;D
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Runningbear

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 08:29:30 pm »
Here's an update from Canwest news service in Canada and the University of Western Ontario website....perhaps some hope!!!!

www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=33b166b1-369f-48da-8c48-0ab816bca3d3

communications.uwo.ca/com/western_news/stories/western_proposes_first_hiv_vaccine_facility_20081112443163/

(might have to copy and paste these)

Cheers!!

Offline J220

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 09:04:35 pm »
Finally some news!!!! I have great hopes for this vaccine.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 08:04:10 am »
Guys, guys...am I missing something here?  I'm as optimistic as the next person, most likely more so.  The continuing advances in gene related therapies, monoclonal antibodies, etc, are very exciting.  But this?  I've read the press releases from Dr Kang and am left asking each and every time, "where's the beef?".  To be nice, it sounds like a bunch of overhyped bs.  Endless delays, no human trials, no peer review, and classic over promising / under delivering.  Hmmm...

This appears to be the Sarah Palin of HIV treatments.

Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »
I have to admit, I've been watching this one from day one and they keep promising big things and then we hear nothing.. I thought it was further along also, but at least something is happening finally.
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 05:38:53 pm »
:::sigh:::
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 09:38:56 pm »
Wow...Dr. Kang's "miracle" cure really is like Sarah Palin...a seemingly worthless POS that won't go away :o

C'mon guys, this thing is a joke.

Offline georgep77

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 10:26:27 pm »
This is the latest news about Dr. Yong Kang.

http://communications.uwo.ca/com/western_news/stories/western_proposes_hiv%10aids_vaccine_facility_20081112443158/

:)
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline J220

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 01:33:18 am »
Here's some more details on the progress of the vaccine itself. As you can see it's moving ahead, these things just take time.

From http://www.physorg.com/news145722346.html

(PhysOrg.com) November 12, 2008 -- The advance towards a vaccine for HIV/AIDS has taken another step closer to realization. A vaccine, developed by Dr. Chil-Yong Kang and his team at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at The University of Western Ontario, and licensed to Sumagen Canada Inc., has now been manufactured for use in trials - first, in toxicology trials using animal models and then in Phase 1 human clinical trials.

The vaccine has been manufactured at a bio-safety level 3 (BSL3) good manufacturing practice (GMP) facility in the United States.

“It has been very difficult to manufacture our genetically engineered HIV-1 experimental vaccine, because there are only a few BSL3 GMP contract manufacturing organizations (CMO) available in the world. For this reason, we welcome the Canadian Government’s plan to establish a BSL3 GMP facility in Canada for future manufacture of candidate HIV/AIDS vaccines. We have overcome a major hurdle in the development of our HIV/AIDS vaccine which is now ready for clinical trials,” said Dr. Dong Joon Kim, CEO of Sumagen.

The toxicology trials will get under way in a matter of days at a contract research organization (CRO) in the U.S., and results should be ready in approximately three months. The Phase 1 human clinical trials could begin in early spring at a number of trial sites in North America.

Kang's vaccine uses a killed whole HIV-1, much like Salk's killed whole poliovirus vaccine. The HIV-1 is genetically engineered in such a way that it is non-pathogenic and can be produced in large quantities. It is then purified, inactivated, and injected as a safe whole killed-virus vaccine.

While Phase 1 human clinical trials are most often conducted on healthy volunteers, in the case of this HIV/AIDS vaccine, it will be tested on individuals who are HIV-positive, but not yet symptomatic with AIDS.

More than 25 million people have died of AIDS since 1981 and approximately 35 million people live with HIV infection world-wide today.

Sumagen Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of Curocom of Korea. The company is fully funding Dr. Kang’s continuing work on the HIV/AIDS vaccine development.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline J220

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 01:44:27 am »
Another article, http://pharmalicensing.com/public/press/view/1227541478_492acbe6d4440/will-a-new-approach-create-cure-for-hiv .

By Paul Mayne Thursday, November 20, 2008

After more than 20 years of labouring on an HIV/AIDS vaccine, Yong Kang’s research has reached an historic moment.

The professor in the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry’s Department of Immunology & Microbiology is excited to see his vaccine enter an important testing phase this month in the United States.

If the initial toxicology tests prove successful, phase 1 human clinical trials could begin as early as three months from now at a number of sites in North America involving HIV positive individuals not yet symptomatic with AIDS.

“We have been working on this project for over 20 years,” says Kang.

“It has been a long, painful process, but we have gotten to this stage now, to test our vaccine, and see whether or not it can prevent HIV infections. Despite the tremendous amount of scientists working on this project, to date there has not been an effective vaccine.”

Kang and his team have invested years getting to this point; even so, they are certainly not alone in having created a vaccine that could potentially curb the deadly toll of this virus.

According to the HIV Vaccine Trial Network, there are 13 ongoing clinical trials, each representing years of work and countless dead ends, each approaching the potential solution in a different way, and each representing hope.

“Over the 20-year period there has been some ups and downs because of the failure of some of the well-known trials, therefore when we see that kind of failure we are discouraged. However our strategy is not the same as the others, so in some way we are encouraged to see whether our vaccine strategy will work better,” says Kang.

The genetically engineered vaccine, produced in large quantities in a Maryland lab, uses what he calls a killed whole HIV-1. The idea is the vaccine would prime T-cells to destroy cells harboring HIV, essentially curing a patient of the virus.

The vaccine is licensed to Sumagen Canada Inc, a subsidiary of Curocom of Korea, which is fully funding Kang’s work on the vaccine.

“I really hope for the success of our vaccine, not just for our company and The University of Western Ontario, but for all humankind,” says Dong Joon Kim, CEO of Sumagen.

Ted Hewitt, Western’s Vice-President (Research and International Relations), says after a long and intensive process, Kang has been issued one of only a very few HIV vaccine patents in the world.

“He has developed the technology to take it this far in a process where dozens of other potential vaccines, from much larger institutions globally have failed,” says Hewitt. “We are tremendously proud of Dr. Kang’s accomplishments to this point.”

Kang says while he sees the trials of fellow scientists worldwide fail, which he admits can be discouraging, he is confident his approach to the vaccine is a step others have not  taken.

“It has been a tremendous effort to engineer or design a vaccine,” says Kang, adding “this type of research and development is so important for humankind to saving millions of lives.”

“The success of this vaccine will really help the millions and millions of people around the world affected by HIV/AIDS,” says Kang, noting the AIDS pandemic has killed 25 million people and infected 40 million more. “We can save lives around the world. This is a very important step.”
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 09:18:34 am »
Wow...great "update", i.e. more of the same.

J220, all due respect, but why do you keep posting essentially the same article for this untested, non peer reviewed, overly hyped, "cure"?  As no doubt you've read, there has yet to be even the most preliminary phase 1 testing (let alone phases 2 & 3).  There has been no peer review of any sort - only hyperbole and hype ("historic moment", "cure". "all humankind", etc).  Does it not seem curious that the only people commenting on and hyping this "cure" and approach are those with a financial interest in it?

Evidently you've become emotionally invested in this quackery for some reason.  Good luck with that.   

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 12:56:03 pm »
freewillie99 this world can be a better place. Try to contribute positively.

"historic moment", "cure". "all humankind"

what do you want instead ?  depression, suicide, cry

Do it for yourself if it is your way to live with this disease

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 02:12:47 pm »
what do you want instead ?  depression, suicide, cry

No, John, I prefer "peer reviewed", "tested", "proven".  Much better.

Your response was predictable and humorous. 

Offline J220

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 02:20:09 am »
Wow...great "update", i.e. more of the same.

J220, all due respect, but why do you keep posting essentially the same article for this untested, non peer reviewed, overly hyped, "cure"?  As no doubt you've read, there has yet to be even the most preliminary phase 1 testing (let alone phases 2 & 3).  There has been no peer review of any sort - only hyperbole and hype ("historic moment", "cure". "all humankind", etc).  Does it not seem curious that the only people commenting on and hyping this "cure" and approach are those with a financial interest in it?

Evidently you've become emotionally invested in this quackery for some reason.  Good luck with that.   

The articles do contain new and relevant information, whether you agree or believe in it or not (and no one is asking you to, nor am I interested in your laughable assessment of my emotional landscape). You are under no obligation to read the articles, nor any of my posts, so feel free to ignore them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:42:18 am by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 03:01:10 pm »
freewillie99 this world can be a better place. Try to contribute positively.

It is indeed a positive act to debunk false information and those who disseminate it. It is cruelty to stand by and watch people duped by frauds and follow fraudulent leads to nowhere.

Think of the energy wasted on unworkable methodology, and unscrupulous persons who profit on the desperate and gullible.

IMHO, I think those who spend their time following false leads to "cures" would have better luck petitioning their elected officials to allow the meds currently on the market to be distributed to those who need them, regardless of cost.

And to insist on first-tiered peer review is NOT an unreasonable request. It is the process by which scientific advancement occurs.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 03:40:02 pm »
Oh, the drama!  Can we just post info about the Kang vaccine here without all the high jinks?  Sorry to be a prisspot but not all of us have all day to wade through endless minor offenses and comebacks just to see the latest info someone has found (thanks J220!). 

Sorry guys, just in a no-BS mood today  :o
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »
Oh, the drama!  Can we just post info about the Kang vaccine here without all the high jinks?  Sorry to be a prisspot but not all of us have all day to wade through endless minor offenses and comebacks just to see the latest info someone has found (thanks J220!). 

Sorry guys, just in a no-BS mood today  :o

In other words, no mood to have a paradigm questioned? Seriously, debating on the ethics and merits of a scientist is hardly a "hijink."

Unless the search for scientific accuracy and veracity is not the perview of this forum.

Welcome Thread

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 04:27:15 pm »
Oh, the drama!  Can we just post info about the Kang vaccine here without all the high jinks? 

Ok, NYCguy, point taken.  I'll look forward to your next posts on the latest breaking colloidal silver and enema therapy press releases.

Offline leit

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 10:00:27 pm »
It is indeed a positive act to debunk false information and those who disseminate it. It is cruelty to stand by and watch people duped by frauds and follow fraudulent leads to nowhere.

Think of the energy wasted on unworkable methodology, and unscrupulous persons who profit on the desperate and gullible.

You're absolutely right, "jkinatl2"! Decades of broken promises only transformed my hopes into despair.
Dear newly infected friends, please don't waste too much hope before successful IIb phases!

Offline David Evans

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 10:26:52 pm »
First of all, everyone please watch the snarkiness and defensiveness. Neither are particularly helpful.

To be honest, it is difficult to have a "scientific dialogue" about this particular vaccine, because there has been so little data published in a journal or at a conference. One could argue the theoreticals, but that's about it at this point. If some people choose to place their faith in this vaccine and are later disappointed, then that's their right. We've all been there at some point.

Why don't we all hold our breath and our tempers until more data are published. I don't even need to see phase IIb studies, but I do want to see a full immunologic panel from subjects who are immunized with the vaccine. I also want to see what their plans are for dealing with the adenovirus vector. This is the same type of vaccine delivery device that may have led to problems in the STEP vaccine trial, and there are now safety concerns that must be contended with.

Respectfully,
David

Offline Runningbear

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 12:47:27 am »
It is hard not to be skeptical, in light of so many promises and subsequent failures...  I do know, however, that Dr. Kang is considered one of the leading virologists in Canada and his work his highly regarded.  Let's hope he lives up to his reputation...

Offline J220

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2008, 01:36:26 am »
Couldn't agree more...the vaccine may yet fail, but a quack he ain't.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline J220

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 02:04:55 am »
Moving on to the subject of the thread, I found an interview of Dr. Kang by Steve Paikin where he talks about his vaccine efforts:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SakgTdiIM

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocJMzP8RRA
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:36:09 am by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline Yohoe

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 04:07:11 am »
Hi-

I have not checked this site for over a year. I thank everyone who
helped me during my HIV scare when I needed it the most.

It is interesting how little this study is being recognized.
When I lived in Toronto, I met a person whose father is a colleague of Dr.Kang.

He told me the University was always very optimistic over Dr.Kang's research and believe
now with the relationship with the Government of Canada and CURACOM that
this vaccine is looking very positive and a true reality.

Best

Offline xxname

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 12:29:50 pm »
UWO-developed AIDS drug ready for human tests
Wed, March 18, 2009    •   
By JOHN MINER

An HIV/AIDS vaccine developed at the University of Western Ontario has successfully completed toxicology tests on animals, opening the door to tests on humans. "We're one more step closer," said Dr. Chil-Yong Kang, who developed the vaccine with his team at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry over the past 20 years.Western holds the patent on the vaccine that it has licensed to Sumagen, a South Korean pharmaceutical company.Within the next few months, Sumagen is expected to apply to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to carry out toxicology tests on about 35 people. The tests will be done in the U.S."It won't take any more than six months," said Kang.

If the vaccine clears that hurdle, then it will move to what is called phase 2 clinical trials, testing the immune response in 600 to 700 volunteers.That will likely take a little more than a year, Kang said.The final phase, if no problems are discovered with the vaccine, will involve thousands of people and test if the vaccine can actually prevent infection by the virus.Unlike other HIV/AIDS vaccines that have been developed using fragments of the virus, Kang's uses whole killed virus, the same approach that is used for vaccines against influenza.The UWO scientists genetically engineered the virus used in the vaccine so it was no longer dangerous and could be produced in large quantities.
John Miner is a Free Press health reporter.JOHN.MINER@SUNMEDIA.CA

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »
"We're one more step closer," said Dr. Chil-Yong Kang

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................

wake me up when dr. kang's "one more year" is over.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2009, 03:30:56 pm »
xxname: Thanks for the update on what stage this is in. It's very good news that they've successfully completed animal toxicology tests.

Offline veritas

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2009, 06:28:07 pm »

When the clinical trials start, the efficacy of a therapeutic  vaccine should be obvious fairly quickly. What will take time is the safety studies. The vaccine must be proven safe over time. Unfortunately there is no animal model hiv that reacts the same way hiv reacts in humans as the good doctor said. So going after latent cells will be the big issue  for eradication.

Lets hope for the best

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 06:53:25 pm »

Unfortunately there is no animal model hiv that reacts the same way hiv reacts in humans as the good doctor said.

V:

Did you miss this?

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/03/monkeyhivmodel.html

HIV Hack Lets Scientists Study Human AIDS in Monkeys

A genetically engineered strain of HIV will allow scientists to study a human version of the disease in monkeys.  Until now, AIDS researchers used monkeys infected with simian immunodeficiency virus, or SIV. The virus is similar to ours, but it's far from a perfect research tool.  "The lack of a primate model that utilizes HIV-1" — the strain that causes human AIDS — "is an impediment to research," write researchers led by Paul Bieniasz and Theodora Hatziioannou of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center.
The new HIV strain, described Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, could eventually make it easier to test drugs and vaccines for the incurable virus.

Though SIV and HIV wreak similar havoc on their hosts' immune systems, drugs affect them differently. While that makes SIV useful for studying how the disease progresses, it's less useful for studying potential treatments. It's impossible to quantify how much this has slowed the search for cures to a disease that kills nearly three million people every year, but it certainly hasn't helped.
Carolyn Williamson, principal investigator of the South African AIDS Vaccine Initiative, said that existing monkey models are "not ideal" for testing vaccines and drugs. She was not involved in the study.
"This model is a real step forward in HIV research," said Williamson.  Monkey immune systems normally beat back HIV with the help of two cellular proteins that prevent retroviruses from replicating.
Pigtail macaques, however, lack a gene variant that codes for one of those proteins. By swapping a key gene from SIV into HIV, the researchers produced a strain that evaded the other protein defense.
When the macaques were infected with the engineered HIV, the virus developed slowly, at rates comparable to humans who keep the disease at bay for decades. "If your drug was developed for HIV-1, it doesn't necessarily work for monkey viruses," said Hatziioannou. "In this model, you know it's going to work the same way as in humans."Researchers will be able to study the mechanisms of so-called long-term non-progression — and that's just the start. The next step, said Bieniasz, is the development of an HIV strain that produces full-blown AIDS in the macaques, allowing researchers to test treatments for that stage of the disease.

Citation: "A macaque model of HIV-1 infection." Theodora Hatziioannnou, Zandrea Ambrose, Nancy P.Y. Chung, Michael Piatak, Jr., Fang Yuan, Charles M. Trubey, Vicky Coalter, Rebecca Kiser, Doug Schneider, Jeremy Smedley, Rhonda Pung, Mercy Gathuka, Jacob D. Estes, Ronald S. Veazey, Vineet N. KewalRamani, Jeffrey D. Lifson, and Paul D. Bieniasz. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 106, No. 9.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:47 pm »
Re: animal models, there's also this, it's not a done-deal but they seem to be getting there:

http://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/index.php?newsarticle=2385

Of Mice and HIV Models
2008 September
by Jeffrey Bouley
 Cell
 Harvard University Medical School
 Jackson Laboratory
 University of Massachusetts
 Email the author

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—The good news coming from a recent study published in the Aug. 22 issue of Cell is that small interfering RNA (siRNA) delivered directly to immune cells can suppress the human immunodeficiency virus in animal models of the disease. Perhaps the better news, using a long-view perspective, is researchers are finally zeroing in on making the animal models for HIV better—particularly in the challenging realm of making good HIV mouse models.

The authors of the paper, “T Cell-Specific siRNA Delivery Suppresses HIV-1 Infection in Humanized Mice,” noted that along with the enduring problem of finding an effective strategy for delivering siRNA to the proper site in real-life systems, they have been stymied in the past by a lack of appropriate HIV animal models.

“Animal models for HIV-1 have suffered from either the lack of a system that precisely mirrors human HIV infection or, in the case of primate models, scarcity of species, high cost, and the need to use the related but distinct simian virus for infection,” noted the authors.

Lead author Dr. Priti Kumar, an instructor and post-doctoral research fellow at Harvard University Medical School’s Immune Disease Institute and Department of Pediatrics, adds that to overcome the animal model problem, several labs have been working on immuno-deficient mice that can be transfused with human T-cells and/or stem cells. For her study, the researchers used a new mouse strain, developed by co-authors Dr. Leonard Shultz, a researcher at the Jackson Laboratory, and University of Massachusetts researcher Dr. Dale Greiner, that can be transplanted with human immune cells or human stem cells that subsequently generate a human immune system in the animals.

“The key advance we achieved is that for the first time, these mice develop a complete functional human immune system including robust development of the cell target of HIV, CD4 T cells,” Greiner explains. “Previous mouse models used for HIV failed to reproducibly develop CD4 T cells following hematopoietic stem cell engraftment.”

“We built on a lot of earlier work that had helped produce mice with deficiencies that allowed us to more closely humanize them and overcome the innate immune system, a much more ancient kind of immune system that had tended to thwart our ability to make models that accurately predict human responses,” Shultz says.

Earlier mouse models that lacked or had sharply deficient innate immune systems—though they were the gold standard for HIV and other research efforts for many years—still resisted engraftment, and the model that he and Greiner helped develop supports the higher level of engraftment that Kumar and her colleagues needed for the siRNA research.

More work is needed to get the mouse models perfected, Shultz and Greiner acknowledge, with Shultz calling humanized mice “a moving target that is always going to need improvement.”

“The major advances needed are development of immunodeficient mouse models expressing human HLA molecules to permit appropriate T cell development,” Greiner notes. “Expression of human species-specific soluble factors that are needed for robust human immune system development are also needed to enhance human immune system development in the immunodeficient mice further.”

As for the original point of Kumar’s research using the newer mouse model, her team demonstrated that they could thwart HIV in mice by delivering interfering RNAs to T-cells. By silencing three genes, the team protected these cells from much of the damage typically associated with HIV infection, a sign of hope that researchers might come up with effective siRNA-based HIV therapies for humans.

Because T-Cells are recalcitrant in the uptake of nucleic acids, Kumar and her team “coaxed” them to take up the molecules by attaching them to an antibody against a T-cell surface protein.

But even with a solution to that problem, they had to overcome rapid viral mutation. To reduce the problem, the researchers targeted three different sequences: the sequences coding for CCR5, a human T-cell surface protein used by HIV to enter the cells, and two well-conserved HIV proteins.

The antibody-siRNA cocktail they administered to treat immune-deficient mice containing HIV-negative human T-cells gave them dramatic results. The control mice and mice who were given other siRNAs lost T-cells as soon as ten days following HIV infection, while roughly 75 percent of the mice given the therapeutic siRNAs had T-cell profiles that were essentially like those of non-HIV mice. DDN

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:48:35 pm by Inchlingblue »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.