Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:31:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 170
Total: 172

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Great news! I may have TB : )  (Read 4532 times)

Offline GNYC09

Great news! I may have TB : )
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:00 pm »
A few days ago I took a PPD skin test for TB (it stung!).  Today I found out it tested positive.  However, since the area wasn't dramatically raised or sharply defined, it was a questionable positive.  Also, I had a BCG immunization as a child, which could lead to a false positive.  Tomorrow I have to go for an emergency chest x-ray to see if I have active TB (unlikely since I'm not exhibiting any symptoms).  Anyhow, the doctor said I might still have to take up to 12 months of antibiotics - probably Rifampin. It's not good for your liver and I could end up with orange saliva (!). 

Has anybody here been on antibiotics for TB?  If so, did you experience any side effects?  I know everyone is different but I'm wondering why kind of ride I might be in for...

Offline tednlou2

Re: Great news! I may have TB : )
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:13 pm »
Is this the first time you've been tested?  If not, were the other tests negative?  Is TB something that occurs mostly with people who travel a lot?  I mean, are you likely to run into it while going about your daily life at work, the bank, or the grocery?  My uncle had been exposed at some point in his life--I believe he said when he was a child.  He had to go on meds several years ago for it.  It wasn't active.  He now has a failing liver; however, he's a big alcoholic so that is most likely the culprit and not those meds. 

When I had my skin test done, I was a little concerned that I may have gotten it from him.  My test was neg and I was told he would have had to have active infection.  I've wondered whether his could become active even though he was on those meds several years ago.   

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:39:56 pm »
tedderz, this isn't about you or your uncle, it's about a member of our forums.

GNYC09, I hope that this is a false positive.  It really must be, but I suppose you never know.  I'll be thinking the best for you.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:40:40 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  I actually somehow avoided getting the TB diagnostic test through the initial bloodwork and screening process post diagnosis, but I'm not incredibly worried about it.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:25:23 am »
Gnyc,

Hopefully this will be a false positive.  We have several foreign workers in our place, that are excused from the normal PPD skin test.  We all have to do this annually in the place I work at and there are a few, that have to get the chest xray.  Once again, hopefully this will be just a false positve.

Have you ever had a PPD skin test done before?

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:35:47 am »
A few days ago I took a PPD skin test for TB (it stung!).  Today I found out it tested positive.  However, since the area wasn't dramatically raised or sharply defined, it was a questionable positive.  Also, I had a BCG immunization as a child, which could lead to a false positive.  Tomorrow I have to go for an emergency chest x-ray to see if I have active TB (unlikely since I'm not exhibiting any symptoms).  Anyhow, the doctor said I might still have to take up to 12 months of antibiotics - probably Rifampin. It's not good for your liver and I could end up with orange saliva (!).  

Has anybody here been on antibiotics for TB?  If so, did you experience any side effects?  I know everyone is different but I'm wondering why kind of ride I might be in for...

Hey GNY,

I have known five people who had HIV and TB at the same time. Some were latent, with only things like necrotic tissue showing up. Others were active.

Usually, the course of Rifampin is 6 to 9 months, with the 12-month course only for those with active and contagious TB.

I was exposed a number of times, but to date, have dodged the bullet.

I have known three people who did the Rifampin therapy.  I don't think they had yellow saliva.

All of those whom I have known who underwent this therapy came through with flying colors and are doing great today.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:37:50 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:36:20 am »
I had a positive TB test when I first was diagnosed with HIV. I didn't think there was any reaction but the required size is much smaller for someone who is HIV+. I also got a chest x-ray, which was negative. The end result was that I actually started INH (isoniazid) before Atripla, I took the INH for 9 months. There are other meds but for latent TB, INH is pretty common. I would ask why the Dr suggests rifampin over the INH. But both have issues with the liver. I really had to cut down on my drinking. Like to none. I didn't want my pee to look like coke, a sign of liver and kidney issues. Active TB would required three different antibiotics.

Anyway, I had no problems with the INH and started Atripla a month later also with out issues. TB is a big killer of people with HIV, particularly in less developed countries that don't have good medical delivery systems. Not so much in places like Europe and the US.

A quick google search on HIV and TB will get you to a lot of good information. Here's one from the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/hivtb.htm

The good news is my DR says I'll never have to take a TB test again!

edited to add this link on latent TB infection treatment:
http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/treatment/treatmentLTBI.htm
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:50:53 am by PozBrian »
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 01:59:27 am »
GNYC, I apologize if you felt I was trying to hijack your thread.  I know I've learned a lot when someone posts something, others ask questions, and others reply.  I felt my questions were good for this topic about transmission and the meds to treat it.  I sincerely apologize if YOU (not anyone else) saw it differently.

Edited to remove quote  

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:05:40 am »
I tested positive for TB right after testing positive for HIV.  I took a pill once every day for a year and do not remember which antibiotic it was, I think it was 3 initials and do not remember any side effects to that medication.  This was in 1994 or 95, while a few years before I had tested negative in Hawaii.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael 

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 07:39:31 am »
I am pretty sure that the PPD test merely tells if you have been exposed to TB and mounted an immune response.  It does NOT indicate that you have the disease.  Given that you had the BCG shot, it could simply be a result of that.  Your doctor should, of course, follow up and rule out (or in) active TB.

Mike

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 07:47:07 am »
well, first off, thanks for your kind words (esp Miss P).  This was my first skin test but not my first TB test.  I took the sputum test (gag) in the hospital when I came down with PCP.  They had me in the TB ward and all.  That came out negative.  There is also a blood test they can use to diagnose and I'll request it.  

I have to admit I'm a little bummed that I won't be able to drink at all.  I'm not a drinker but I just bought this awesome bottle of port wine I've been sipping each night  :P

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:33:20 pm »
In people with HIV, I would consider the PPD skin test in the circumstances described to be suspect unless you have obvious symptoms and a very clear X ray result showing signature TB signs (which means a good radiologist...). 

I would consider 2 positive AFB sputum tests or a positive AFB blood test sound. The question of latent or active TB can then be, sensibly, investigated.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:17:39 pm »
Tomorrow I have to go for an emergency chest x-ray to see if I have active TB (unlikely since I'm not exhibiting any symptoms).  Anyhow, the doctor said I might still have to take up to 12 months of antibiotics - probably Rifampin.

Do you mean you might have to take it even if the chest x-ray reveals you do not have active TB?   

I have to admit I'm a little bummed that I won't be able to drink at all.  I'm not a drinker but I just bought this awesome bottle of port wine I've been sipping each night  :P

Why and for how long can you not drink? 

I sure hope it turns out to be a false positive for you.  When I had the skin test the doctor said: "Don't be alarmed if it does come out positive because there are many false positives." 

Good luck! 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 11:23:09 pm »
I had the x-rays taken today.  I'd be shocked if they came back positive but as they say, "hope for the best but prepare for the worst".

Yes, I would have to take the meds if they find that I have latent TB or, worse, active TB.  More info on the difference here.

Offline elf

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 07:22:41 am »
I had a BCG immunization as a child too, which means I have an inactive form of TB.
This immunization is  routinely performed in Central and Southern Europe.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.