Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 345
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mexico City Meet and Greet Feedback Requested ASAP  (Read 17713 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Mexico City Meet and Greet Feedback Requested ASAP
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:22:20 pm »
Hello AMG 2008 Attendees.

Please give me your feedback asap regarding options for this years meet and greet. 

The first option is to keep this very informal and just gather in one of the lobby bars. 

The second option is to have a banquet room within the hotel to ourselves from 6pm to midnight with hor'derves and a private cash bar.  The approximate cost for this option would be $20 - $30 per person.

The third option is similar to the second option.  The only difference is we would have dinner as a group in our banquet room.  We would have the cash bar.  This option would cost $40 - $50 per person. 

The above costs are only approximate and may be +/- a few dollars depending on the menu.  The costs would include tax and gratuity.  I've incorporated the cost of the banquet room into the price.  Once we decide upon an option I can begin negotiations regarding room rental and menu cost.

Below are some sample menus I used in determining price.

hor'derves

MEXICAN DE LUXE

Pumpkin flower filed with shrimp
Pie filed with chilli pepper
Chicken wings with chilli pepper sauce
Jalapeño chilli pepper stuffed with cream cheese
Chicken and mushroom crêpe
Chilli pepper quiche slice[/left]               

Dinner

Fruit salad with kirsch         
Minestrone soup         
Chicken filled with ham and mushrooms         
Opera cake with orange sauce         
Coffee and tea

There are other menu items.  However, they may cost a few extra dollars.  I've included 2 more samples below.   

Other sample hor'derves include...

INTERNATIONAL DE LUXE HOT           

Vol-au-vent with saltwater crayfish          
and asparagus         
Rockefeller oyster tart         
Filled mushrooms Thermidor         
Fried Camembert cheese         
Quiche Lorraine         
Tempura shrimp         

Another sample dinner menu...

Vol-au-vent filled with ham         
Black corn mushroom cream         
Chicken breast stuffed with Poblano         
Chilli pepper stripes         
Vanilla cake with strawberries         
Coffee and tea         

Offline AMG Coordinator

Re: Mexico City Meet and Greet Feedback Requested ASAP
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:49:39 pm »
Allow me to add if we decide to go with a private banquet room the cost of drinks at our cash bar would be the same price as they are in the lobby bar.

I also just read through our contract and we were quoted a complimentary banquet room with the consumption of food.  The banquet manager must have not seen that.  The prices I quoted above should remain on the lower side of the spectrum unless we decide to go with a more expensive menu option than the first two samples above.

Dennis

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:16:22 am »
I like the 3rd option and I like the 1st and 3rd menus. A sitdown dinner with the group at the hotel is an excellent idea.
I especially like the idea because we don't have to negotiate the streets or night traffic and all that comes with it. We can't forget Mini with just cocktail hour/socializing in a bar as we would exclude the true Queen in attendance (sorry David aka philly267  :D ) and a sit down meal accommodates everyone.

So, I vote for banquet room with group meal (#1 menu is fine).  I will avoid any hot peppers, however.  ;)

Mike

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:47:10 am »
Hi Dennis

Having the M & G in the hotel sounds like a good idea, especially considering the difficulty of trying to locate a place off property.

I agree with MJ that being in a banquet room to ourselves vs the lobby bar is the way to go.

As far as the option of either doing a sit down dinner or Hors d'oeuvres, either one is fine with me.  The 2nd dinner option (the one with the stuffed chicken) would be my choice since I don't eat fish/seafood of any kind.  With the adjusted cost (since the contract gives us the room without charge), and the fact that the drinks will be the same as in the lobby bar {  ;D }, I don't think we could find a better deal.

Thanks buddy.

RAB

(Who has rethought and thinks the dinner option is his first choice.)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:59:04 am »
Mini and I are open for whatever.  Either of the 1st two menus sound good and as long as the tea is made with potable water, we'll be fine ;)  As far as entertainment, just give Mini a microphone..lol..you'll have a combo of singing, dancing, and comedy. ;D

Seriously, though, whatever everyone is up for, we're just happy to be there.

Queen Mum (what? only David and Mini get to wear a crown?)
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:26 am »
I like the idea of the complimentary banquet room at the hotel. The menus confuse me. 
I prefer the last one:  It appears the most 'ethnic' (ie black corn, poblano, chilli peppers).

Chilli pepper stripes         
Coffee and tea   

You didn't mention a date.  Since it appears that everyone will arrive Wed except Nick and me (we're there by Thursday noon) why don't we have this reception Thursday night?

robert

EDITED TO ADD ....  Like I said, thee menus confuse me.  After reading what Philly said, let me say, if it's cheaper to just have hor'derves and a private cash bar, that's fine.  If course I'm can't speak for everyone, but I'm really not a big eater and cheese and crackers do the trick for me.  Last year in SF we had wonderful hor'derves that was more like a dinner. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:24:21 pm by Robert »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:43:06 am »
Santi and I are fine with whatever the decided option is. I do like the idea of a dinner. I can sample spicy but I can't make a meal of it. Just give me a stack of tortillas and some butter and some booze and I'll be fine...kidding! I like the second dinner menu too, I'll just give the poblano stuffing to Santi.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
aren't we on a budget?  How many folks received grants this year?  How much spending money are we actually talking about?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:56:29 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mjmel

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 02:03:08 pm »
aren't we on a budget?  How many folks received grants this year?  How much spending money are we actually talking about?

David, I will try a repy and hope I understand your post as you intended........because I'm not sure what you are asking in referencing grants money.
This dinner is seperate from any grants committee funds. It's an out-of-pocket expense as is all the things we do in Mexico City. In regards to how much spending money I can tell you that there are the usual expenses incurred with traveling: museums fees, and transport to and fro, eating twice a day (or more), nightlife (as there are door cover fees for men at most nightclubs) which are all out of pocket expenses. Of course, since we are not using an official tour bus to cart us to the pyramids--it'll be a savings of about $45 dollars/per individual on that alone....offsetting the cost of the Meet and Greet dinner.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 03:11:48 pm »
No problem -- just that there are tighter folks than *I* and am wary of the haves and the haves nots.  I'm sure we all understand, and costs for these extracurricular expenses are quickly adding up.  There are those of us who don't know of such penny pinching.

I might be a good idea of to make a list of what will coast what in this regard.  Many here have been quite generous but even that has it limits.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 04:50:05 pm »
 I agree.. the hotel Banquet room with food..dinner would be nice..I am open about the menu....not too big on really spicy stuff....everything  else is OK....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 06:57:35 pm »
Hi everyone

A private room to ourselves..definitely

A sit down dinner..I'm not so sure of.

The whole idea of the Meet and Greet is to meet, mingle and get to know everyone, I think if we have 20+ people sitting around a table it's harder to converse with everyone...I'm sure we will have tables for us "Older" folk to sit down at, personally I like how we did it in SF....just my 2 cents worth, of course I will go with the majority if Dinner is the way everyone wants to do it.

Chili peppers are definitely off the menu for me..also I like spice but it doesn't like me~sigh~

Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 07:10:49 pm »
There will be mingling even if we have dinner.  There will be a cocktail hour, the sit down dinner, and then dancing and mingling afterwards.  At least this is what I have pictured.

Hi everyone

A private room to ourselves..definitely

A sit down dinner..I'm not so sure of.

The whole idea of the Meet and Greet is to meet, mingle and get to know everyone, I think if we have 20+ people sitting around a table it's harder to converse with everyone...I'm sure we will have tables for us "Older" folk to sit down at, personally I like how we did it in SF....just my 2 cents worth, of course I will go with the majority if Dinner is the way everyone wants to do it.

Chili peppers are definitely off the menu for me..also I like spice but it doesn't like me~sigh~

Hugs

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 07:19:50 pm »
Well that sounds fine to me, and if that's how you pictured it then it has to be good... ;D.

I just want everyone to have a great time, and if that's what everyone wants then I'm in.

Hugs

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 08:28:32 pm »
Dear Moderator,

Thom and I have discussed the options presented and cast our votes (2) as follows:

On-site Meet and Greet in a private banquet room with cash bar.

We opt for either dinner option as both sound wonderful.

Chilli pepper stripes         
Coffee and tea

Fruit salad with kirsch         
Minestrone soup         
Chicken filled with ham and mushrooms         
Opera cake with orange sauce         
Coffee and tea

We also like Robert's suggestion that we hold this on Thursday evening.  Since everone will be there, why not get things going?   

Can hardly wait to see every one.  With long distance hugs to all, R&T

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44:39 pm »
If no one objects I'd like to keep the Meet and Greet on Friday evening.  I will be arriving on Thursday and will have a bit of work to do.  All talks with the banquet manager have been with a Friday night event in mind.  I will need time that Thursday after I arrive to meet with the banquet manager to discuss the room setup and other needs. 

Ciao,

Dennis

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 08:53:09 pm »
Dennis,

Friday night it is.  You are the man and you know what is best for our group.  You have NEVER let us down, buddy!  When you arrive, you will have all the help we can deliver to help you.

Thanks for all your planning and hard work.

Hugs guy, R&T

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 01:49:24 am »
Private room gets my vote.

Dinner sounds good. I tend to eat more than anyone else, for some reason.  :o

I love spicy food, and peppers, so, I'm good with just about al of it as long as there is no gluten involved.

Friday night sounds just fantastic to moi.

Now that I have that out. what in the world is vol-au-vent filled with ham ?

Just asking ...

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 01:59:37 am »
Mark this is a Vol-au-vent

hugs

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline minismom

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 03:27:19 pm »
Just another detail question.  How formal is the M&G in terms of dress?  I know it's not ball gowns and tuxedoes, but shorts and t-shirts, or slacks and nice shirts? 

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 04:29:13 pm »
Hi Mom

It's whatever you feel comfortable in...it's normally just smart casual, and I've seen some pretty smart looking guys in T-shirts and shorts over the years... ;)

Hugs
 :-*

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 05:07:21 pm »
Just another detail question.  How formal is the M&G in terms of dress?  I know it's not ball gowns and tuxedoes, but shorts and t-shirts, or slacks and nice shirts? 

Mum

Mum

Jan is right, pretty much anything you are comfortable in.  We've had everything from tuxedo shirts & pants, kilts, full leather, to shorts and t-shirts.

Me?  I'm thinking I'll be wearing these this year (see below).  They were given to me by that evil Jody at last year's gathering.  :-*

RAB   :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:10:53 pm by RAB »

Offline Jody

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 06:20:51 pm »
I see RAB stuffed his pink undies quite a bit...Don't flatter yourself honey!!!  ;)

Always EVIL Jody  ;) ;D ::)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline minismom

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:03 am »
Thanks, guys.  I'm just checking our wardrobes and trying to narrow it down to a managable suitcase.

Oh, and about the undies, I'm not touching that one with 10-foot metaphor. ;D

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:59 am »
I see RAB stuffed his pink undies quite a bit...Don't flatter yourself honey!!!  ;)

Always EVIL Jody  ;) ;D ::)

BLUSH! Guilty as charged.

Thanks, guys.  I'm just checking our wardrobes and trying to narrow it down to a managable suitcase.

Oh, and about the undies, I'm not touching that one with 10-foot metaphor. ;D

Mum

BLUSH! (again)!

RAB   ;)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 11:26:38 am »
Mum, I'm packing cotton-khaki pants & jeans, t-shirts, short sleeved shirt or two, frontzip hooded sweatshirt (50's at night), umbrella and tennis shoes. The popular casual mode at AMG in San Francisco last year. 
Hope that helps.

Mike

Offline minismom

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 01:50:57 pm »
Oh, Mike, thanks for mentioning the temps.  That was going to me my next question.  Yes, I know that I could look it up myself (maybe), but then what would I have to talk about here? :P  So 50's at night, little miss will need a sweater and I may need to rethink what she was going to wear to the memorial service.  Aren't the daytime highs in the 70's at that time? 

And, yes, that does help.  I had an idea about what we were going to wear, but just wanted to make sure that it was appropriate.

Are we planning on going to the beach?  I'm not even sure how far away the beach would be.  Just thinking about wether Little Miss would need her bathing suit.  Don't worry, unlike RAB, I  keep my privates under wraps :P

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Basquo

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 02:02:10 pm »
We'll be nowhere near a beach.  Maybe we should move this over to the Travel Tips thread?

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 09:46:32 am »
Is everyone interested in participating in this years meet and greet.  I need to confirm the room and start working on the menu.  I need a minimum of 20 people for dinner in order to receive the room complimentary.  However, only 1/2 (aprox 10)of the confirmed attendees have shown interest. 

Thanks
Dennis

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 10:25:24 am »
Is everyone interested in participating in this years meet and greet.  I need to confirm the room and start working on the menu.  I need a minimum of 20 people for dinner in order to receive the room complimentary.  However, only 1/2 (aprox 10)of the confirmed attendees have shown interest. 

Thanks
Dennis

Good lord yes.  This is one of the best parts of AMG. 

Can you tell us what the cost is going to be yet? 

RAB   ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:07 pm »
Yes, I wish to participate.

But I almost missed this thread.  If you want actual confirmations you might consider a new thread just for that.

Now I'm starting to wonder what else I've missed, as this is all starting to get confusing.

Offline minismom

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 06:45:04 pm »
Mini and I will be there with tiaras and nametags on ;D

Mum
www.watoto.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.