Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:27:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 218
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Swallowing Pills  (Read 6796 times)

Offline Elizabeth

Swallowing Pills
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:19 am »
I know my problem is psychological, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this and what might help.

I have a terrible record with adherance.  Because of this I'm resistant to some of the medications.  The cocktail I'm on now, isn't bad side effect-wise.  Norvir, Lexiva, Videx EC & AZT. I was lucky and didn't build a resistance to this after the last little unscheduled holiday.  I recognize I have a second chance.  I also realize that I can't screw it up this time.

My problem is that the minute I think to myself "Time to take my medication".  I get nausea. I think it goes back to my days of Saquinivir - they were big uncoated horse pills.  They would get caught and break up in my throat.  Nasty stuff.  I got to the point I couldn't swallow any pills.  Not even an asprin.

My mouth waters, just like it does before you puke.  You know?  Even the little pills cause me to gag when trying to get them down.  I've been back on medication a week and it seems that this get worse with each passing day. 

Anyone ever had to deal with this?  How do you get your mind right?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: Swallowing Pills
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:48:00 am »
Hey Elizabeth - really sorry to hear of your problem getting the pills down and wish I knew of something that would help  the psychological aspect but really don't have any good ideas there...yet.

But maybe something that could help from a different way that would help you get the medication down, Norvir is available in liquid form and Videx comes in a chewable tablet...if those are available to you and you could get used to them, maybe it would help you in taking the other ones.  Also, would taking them with something like applesauce or pudding help or just make you want to puke more?

One other quick thing - when I started having to take some horse sized pills I wasn't too good at it but kept telling myself the benefit outweighed the gagging etc.  must of worked because now I can take them without any problem...most of the time.

Hope some one else has some better ideas that will work for you and good luck with this.

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 09:21:00 am »
Thanks for the ideas Kevin.

I've had those chewables.  I think I'll stick with the pill.  It's one of the small ones.  I didn't know that Norvir came in liqud.  Those are the ones I tend to blanch at when I pick them up to take them, so I'll talk to my doctor about that. 

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 12:41:25 am »
I didn't know that Norvir came in liqud

When I was still neg, lost a bet with my ex-roomie and had to taste his liquid norvir (Abbott had some manufacturing problem with the capsules at that time)

Liquid Norvir is by far the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted in my life.....and I can still never forget that strange & vile taste up till today.

If you do choose to go with liquid Norvir, my recommendation is to use a syringe (without the needle of course) to measure the right amount and squirt it right down the throat.  Avoid getting any on your tongue and have a big spoonful of peanut butter (or jam) to chase it down.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 06:11:28 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I guess the pills are the lesser of two evils.

Oh well........

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 06:21:30 pm »
Well understandable reaction to the old saq....

A tip: take them with something you really like to eat like chocolate or a yoghurt or a smoothie.  The association may help turn your apprehension and salivation to anticipation and salivation. Eat desirable food a bit, swallow pills, finish desirable food. :)

-matt

Now playing: Radio 4's world-beating Just A Minute
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 06:29:09 pm »
i was just going to suggest eating something like chocolate or candy ... but newt beat me to the punch.
I used to be like this... couldn't take pills for anything.  A decade later it isn't unusual for me to swallow ten at once.  So, you CAN overcome it.    Remember... chocolate is your friend.  or caramel.  or marshmellows   
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 06:32:33 pm »
matt is (as usual) right on with the advice.  i used to get so nauseated by my meds that even the sight of the bottle in the fridge or holding the pills in my hand made me feel dizzy and about to yak.  i made the decision to put as many pleasant things around the event of pill sqallowing as possible...good tunes, favorite foods, you name it.  i also found that swallowing the pills with a mouthfull of thicker liquids (no comments form the peanut gallery here, guys) would do the trick.  milkshakes and smoothies all the way.  i tapered off these things gradually.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 06:38:54 pm »
"swallowing the pills with a mouthfull of thicker liquids" ... :D not tried that, something for the future, glass of wine yes....

I take all my meds out their original containers and put them in new ones, kinda makes them look less medical

Now playing: Radio 4, Ross Noble on tour (ace stand-up)l
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 06:49:16 pm »
Hey!  I said no comments from the peanut gallery!   :D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 10:00:52 am »
Hmmm......

Take with chocolate.   Take with a thicker liquid.

CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE!!!!!

Haven't had one in years.  Might just become my new favorite drink.

Thanks for the ideas guys. 

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 06:31:34 pm »
The best way of swallowing pills is to place the tip of your tongue in contact with your front lower teeth. At the same time you should avoid any contact of the tongue with the "ceiling" of your mouth leaving as much room as possible between tounge and palatal. Then place the pills on your tongue avoiding any movement of the tongue that could put the pills in contact with the palatal (remember you are not trying to taste them). Just avoid moving the tongue keeping it in contact with your front lower teeth!.
Then place a big glass of water on your lips and swallow with a throat movement keeping the tongue still in its original position. The water will wash away the pills and you will swallow them without even noticing. You will just need a little practice and self control.
If you press the pills against your palatal with your tongue, swallowing is much more difficult and it can even scratch your throat.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Christine

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 10:25:14 am »
Maybe going to see someone for behavior modification? Sending you good wishes that it gets better. Trying to swallow pills when you're nauseated is horrible.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:31:10 pm »
Hiya Elisabeth!

I just had a problem similar to yours. I couldn't swallow those big Ritonavir pills... and always, since I was a child, have had problems with pills. I had fear to swallow them.

I suscribe blondbeauty's suggestion. I know this sounds a bit technical, but is a matter of practice. I achieved the goal at the third day, and since then I swallow my pills with the eyes closed.

I travel a lot and my pill time could get me driving, in a working meal, in a plane, going out or at home...

What I do is take the pills just behind the teeth, open a lillte bit the jaw and push them a little back with the tongue. Then, I take a glass of water or refreshing drink, or milk, or bottled mineral water if I'm out, and swallow the water immediately, opening a bit more the jaw and doing it quickly, with the head a little bit inclined down, as if you were looking to someone's from down to up to check him or her out ;-) This works (I mean, not checking out, LOL, but putting a bit low the head).

I also had some nausea, not at the moment of taking pills, but some minutes after, so I have always a candy, peanuts, a little bit of chocolate or a tangerine, a strawberry, a fruit, something fresh or sweet, and eat it. This has worked for me.

I also try to be no so stressed in the moment of taking pills.

Before this method, I also tryed with jam, honey, milk cream, white bread, even toothpaste, to facilitate pills passage... but this was so complicated I quitted.

And, the first time I did it, the first time I could take my pills I felt great, that was very reinforcing for me and helped a lot to achieve a routine on those very first days. This is like riding a bicycle, just a matter of practice.

Hope this helps :-)

Hughs!!!
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.