Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Fragile Things  (Read 10498 times)

Offline seki

Fragile Things
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:47:48 pm »
Hi all, i came upon this site while searching for aids related information. Finally decided to post because of the many most helpful people circulating this forum.

Ok my problem is exactly 1 week ago i had unprotected sex with a prostitute. It was a grave mistake i know and ive been worried sick since. Anxiety attacks and unable to sleep well or long. Its affecting my social life and work! I really need some advice on how to carry on. So after browsing through the posts here, heres my plan ---

Go for HIV Test at:
22 days
42 days
3 months

Any comments or suggestions is appreciated!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Fragile Things
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:13:52 pm »
Seki,

Unprotected anal or vaginal sex is indeed a risk for HIV transmission and you do need to be tested. But first up some good news, HIV is a fragile virus that's difficult to transmit and the likelihood of you being infected from one encounter isn't high. HIV is also much more difficult to transmit from female to male, but you've not specified the gender of the sex worker you went with, so I won't presume.

Nevertheless HIV is nothing to guess about so that test is a must. The majority of people who test positive do so at the 22 day mark. The official window period for HIV seroconversion is 12-13 weeks so that's when you need to get tested. Testing at 22 and 42 days will only be definitive if you test positive. A negative result from tests at those points will need to be confirmed by a final test at 13 weeks.

My advice to you would be to wait until 13 weeks has past and have your anti-body test then.

You should also know that STD's such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea are much more prevalent and contagious than HIV. Sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year. In your case I would strongly recommend you have a full STD screen performed.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted. In the future use good condoms and water based lubricant eveytime you have anal or vaginal sex and you'll be fine.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline seki

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:12:05 pm »
im just testing in advance to sorta give myself a piece of mind....so that i wun explode!!!!

thx Matty really....gotta go now still in the middle of work sigh....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 06:45:58 am »
Seki,

If you cannot wait three months, the earliest you should test is six weeks. If you get a negative result at six weeks it will be an excellent indication of your true status, but MUST be confirmed at the three month point.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man, so you do have a good chance of testing negative. Try to relax until you take your test because high stress levels will make you feel ill.

And as Matty says, You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You can test for the other STIs in another week's time, except for syphilis, which shares a three month window with hiv.

Use condoms and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline seki

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:50:48 am »
ok i've been pretty positive abt all things until now......
non-itchy red rashes broke out all over my chest today n i had headache for a week n a half
i mean...wat else can i tink except tt im infected alredy...its now 1 month past the exposure shud i get tested now?

Offline seki

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 07:05:07 pm »
erm....my rashes went aways after a day on my chest....is this consistent wif ars?
besides tt i'v been having ichy single spots on various spots on my body....is this dangerous as well?
ok lastly my headache been bothering me for 2 weeks......
if ani1 has ani experience wif these symtons pls share.....
i noe symptons ar not conclusive i juz wanna noe to have a better idea..
i think im goin to test today at 33 days....i think i neid all the luck in the world.....
hopefully some1 will gimme an honest reply, im the only son after my brother died so i really dun wanna make my lovely parents depress sigh

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:31:10 pm »
seki,

Nothing you report sounds like ARS. The only way to  know for sure is to test at the appropriate time, which is no earlier than six weeks. Only a three month negative is conclusive, but the odds are in your favour of testing negative.

Stay productively busy while you wait for the appropriate time to test. I would suggest you work on your spelling - that should keep you busy for hours, if not days.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline seki

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 06:01:07 am »
i went to test today at 33 days.....cos my headache just wun go away!
im afraid of all the mild symptons i had...approximately how long if theres ars will u produce antibodies?

"life is a series of random lotteries n tragedys"

Ann u a part time comedian? lol

(used the spell check option this time to avoid your snide remarks :P)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 06:46:37 am »
Seki,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A negative result from today's test will be a good indication of your true status, but it won't be conclusive.

A headache is not an indication of ARS. It's far more likely to be stress-related, however, you really should see a doctor about any headache that lasts more than a day or so. It could be something serious - but unlikely to have anything even remotely to do with hiv.

And speaking of headaches, sorry about the crack about your spelling, but reading your post was giving me a headache trying to figure out what you were saying.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline seki

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 02:27:06 am »
hey Ann,

tested neg at 33 days....so this is a very good sign issit it....?
however, i notice pus discharge coming out of either my penis or anus i dunno which
ok so even if i do not get Hiv, genital warts and herpes still sticks for life doesnt it...do you noe abt these STDS?
Haven spoken to a doc abt it cos i dunno the window period for STDs....any advice?
I wanna be responsible and test but i just dunno when to do it....and kissing is so common im afraid i pass std to someone

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 09:38:05 am »
i notice pus discharge coming out of either my penis or anus i dunno which

Seki,

Are you trying to tell me you don't know your ass from a pole on a hound? If you are leaking puss from any part of your body you need to show that to a doctor. We cannot diagnose your puss, much less tell you where it's coming from. Except for hiv and syphilis, you can test for the other STIs ten to fourteen days after an encounter, sooner if you experience symptoms - such as leaking pus. Get yourself to a doctor.

Your 33 day negative is encouraging but not conclusive. You need to test again at the three month point. Syphilis shares a three month window period with hiv.

Again, get yourself and your pus to a doctor. This is not optional.

Ann

edited for a glaring spelling mistake!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:54:08 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline seki

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 05:51:38 pm »
hey Ann,

i couldnt tell because i only noticed the pus in the toilet bowl after passing motion...thats why...
i have financial difficulties as well to go for testing as i am still studying...
so if i go for a full panel checkup at 6 weeks, it would be wise right?
or should i just do stds checkup now?
i cant believe the mental stress that comes after sex can be so excruciating, im quitting sex!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 06:56:06 pm »
seki,

If you have pus coming out of your body, then you need medical attention NOW.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline seki

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 04:06:52 pm »
thx Ann for your advice, i will see a doctor....decided to do it tmr at 40 days....or shud i wait 2 more days for the full 6 weeks?
i will be doing full panel stds plus hiv testing. My question is if a neg at 40 days is as good as at 42 days. Since the 6 weeks mark seems to be so crucial.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 04:19:01 pm »
seki,

If you have pus coming out of your body, then you need medical attention NOW.

Two days isn't going to make a huge difference to your hiv test. Whether 40 days or 42, you will still need to confirm you result - if negative - at the three month point.

Ann

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline seki

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 03:59:00 pm »
yup went to the doc to get treatment, doc says its probably juz some common infection as i had tested neg for stds earlier.......
im goin to get my 6 week test tmr for hiv.....pretty stressed out now, keeping my fingers crossed.
i do stand a pretty good chance if i test neg tmr rite?

Offline seki

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:55:16 pm »
so at the clinic today, my doctor kept stressing that the official window period is 6 months and not 3 months....so i asked him issit only veri rare cases do people show up positive after 6 months, he said no, it happens. Is all these because of the different generation in tests? I noe my country is using the elisa screening test but im not sure which generation. Anyways, i guess the only thing that matters is whether or not a person tests neg or pos. Just wondering because 6 months is a very long time, will sweet Ann pls explain ahha....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 08:08:55 pm »
Your doctor is not up to date. You only have to be tested up to 13 weeks/3months.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 05:40:23 am »
Seki,

As Rod says, you doctor is giving you outdated information. At three months the generation of test does not matter.

Are you on chemotherapy for cancer? Anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant? Have you been injecting street drugs every day of every week for the past few years? No? Then you do not have to worry about not getting an accurate result at the three month point. No kidding.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline seki

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 10:30:59 pm »
hi Ann,
so i tested neg at 68 days.....hurray but still skeptical as i noe im not 100% clear....will test agn at 12 weeks....
so the purpose of this post is to clarify my chances??? im pretty safe true? my girlfriend is very anxious as well

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 07:54:16 am »
Seki,

Most people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. Your nearly ten week negative is not likely to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline seki

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 01:24:57 am »
Took my 3 months test today....my doc explained to me that 3 months was the old window period and for a few years now it had changed to 6 months. Now this totally contradicts the "guidelines" on this site. Some say 3, some say 6, im confused. Will Ann show me the light at the end of the tunnel?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 06:50:50 am »
seki,

Your doctor is either confused or doesn't know what he's talking about. The old window period was six months. The newer window period has been at three months for quite a few years now. I'm fully expecting that window period to be further reduced to six WEEKS sometime in the next few years.

When your three month test returns another negative result, you will be done. No further testing over this incident will be necessary.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline seki

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 02:53:20 pm »
hello, my test came back negative at 87 days. Is this considered conclusive? Its a few days short of 13 weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 04:35:51 pm »
seki,

You are conclusively hiv negative. Protect that negative status by always using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse. Use condoms and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.