Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:47:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 408
Total: 411

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Plz! very scared! HIV Congressī condom broke! :(  (Read 4671 times)

Offline guga

• Standard
Plz! very scared! HIV Congressī condom broke! :(
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:08:25 am »
Hello.

I had protected insertive anal sex, BUT the condom broke and the guy found out being positive because of this incident (iīm negative). Here are the facts:

1) i was the insertive partner - ONLY!

2) it was a one-time occurrence

3) i noticed very soon that the condom had bronken (less than 2 minutes - in fact, i think it was less than one minute...)

4) there were no sores, lesion, blood or mucous on my penisīs head or on his anus (the guy is a physician and in fact he searched for it on my penis)

5) i started PEP (combivir + kaletra) less than 41 hours after the incident and havenīt skip any dose for 29 days.

6) i am not circumsised.

7) the guy did 3 quick tests and 2 came back positive... one came back negative... Instead of waiting for the Elisa test, i dedided to begin PEP.

8) i have been checking my temperature since the accident and i have been paying attention to any symptoms. i havenīt felt anything different since that day... my temperature is normal, there has been NO lymph nodes... nothing is wrong with my body. 

Given all those facts, what do you think is my risk?

How can we understand the quick tests, their different results?

Why, if the CDC states that insertive vaginal sex is 0,05% risky and insertive anal sex is 0,06% risky (numbers which are used here in Brazil), there are so many doctors that says that anal insertive is SO MUCH MORE riskier??? I have heard somewhere that because of a high viral load, that risk could be over 20%, 30% to the insertive partner... Is it correct? Should i panic?

Please, i am hypocondriac and i havenīt been sleeping for over two months now and i am very scared to do the test... please... i am so demanding about my health and condoms that i cannot believe this has happened... and the irony: i have used a condom which i had received at a HIV prevention congress here in Brazil...

Sorry for my english...

and thank you very much!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Plz! very scared! HIV Congressī condom broke! :(
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:56:42 am »
Hi Guga . I moved your threads into the AM I INFECTED forum . Please post all your questions and concerns in this thread only .

I read your post and see that you did indeed have a risk and you did the right thing by seeking PEP within the 72 hour window period . Keep taking your meds and and test again in 3 months after you have completed all your medication .

As the insertive partner and the fact that you are on PEP at the appropriate time is a very good indication you are going to come out of this HIV negative .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline guga

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »
Thank you VERY MUCH!

I just would like to ask one more thing, about the statistical odds, as i have written in my first post.

I know that nobody can assure for sure how much riskier is anal insertive when compared to vaginal insertive sex... However, is it really much more riskier? Because considering CDC numbers and other numbers and studies, those two sexual acts seem to be very equal in terms of odds of acquiring hiv... and still lots of doctor says that anal insertive is riskier... How come?   

And, if the viral load is very high, does it change the odds from 0,06% - anal insertive - to 30%, 40% (according to CDC numbers)? I mean: is this information realistic? because it would be a risk higher than a blood to blood route... Is it correct?

Finally, many doctors would have not recommended me PEP because i was insertive and so on. Here, in Brazil, PEP is free for anyone, i do not pay anything for it, and thatīs why they have given to me... however, was it really necessary? i am not complaining since i have not had any side effects, but i was wondering in terms of risk...

Thank you again!
God Bless you.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »
... and still lots of doctor says that anal insertive is riskier... How come?   

Anal sex carries a bit more of a risk because the lining of the rectum is thinner and less robust than the walls of a vagina , so its possible that tiny bits of damage could occur percentage wise in anal sex as apposed to vaginal sex . The good news is that condoms used correctly are a very effective barrier against HIV in both anal and vaginal sex .

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. If you do this you will not have to worry yourself over possible exposures .

I'm not going to get into conversations about statistics and what the CDC publishes .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:51:55 pm »
I wholeheartedly endorse and agree with Jeff G's relies.

I only want to add, in addition to condoms, you use plenty of lube. PLENTY.

Ann, a moderator here, has some excellent links regarding lubricant AND condoms in her signature line. Hunt her down and check those out! I really ought to copy and paste them into my signature line as well, now that I am a minor deity.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline guga

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »
Thank you all!
God bless you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.