Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:57:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 242
Total: 246

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Condom Broke  (Read 7718 times)

Offline roger.us

Condom Broke
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:32:23 pm »
Sex with a Prostitute.

Had put 1 condom first. The condom wasn't put properly by me. there was an air bubble infront of the condom on the penis. I inserted my penis into her vagina. The condom broke after 3-4 thrust. She asked me to pull my penis out. I didnt realise that the condom had broken. (I was on the top). After i pulled out, i saw my inner skin of penis was wet.

I used 2 condoms over it immediately (without washing) and inserted again and semen came out later.

Iam a little scared about the air bubble. When it gets burst inside vagina, does it increase my chance of getting HIV ?

PEP Treatment: Doctor started PEP after 50hours of the exposure. I took it for 4 days, then stopped it because of symptoms like weakness, fever,

PCR Test: Doc has now ordered a PCR test for me to be completely sure. He said that normal test like P24 are 80-90% sure but PCR test are 99 % sure. Results are expcted this friday and im becoming anxious and tensed abt it.
Considering its been only 14 days when the sample was taken for PCR, please advice on it showing positive.

ps: Iam comforted by the fact that HIV is diff to transfer from female to male.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Condom Broke
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:46 pm »
PCR-DNA tests are not approved diagnostic tests. You need to know how to use a condom correctly.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:54 pm »
There are a few things to comment upon here, but I'll start with what is likely your greatest concern -- the risk. As you have said the risk was low. It was a single and brief possible exposure. HIV is significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. So the odds are greatly in your favor that you're going to test negative.

The only test that is finally going to matter is doing a standard HIV test at 13 weeks after the possible exposure. I don't agree with some of your doctor's suggestions. Doing PEP was never warranted in relation to this incident. And the PCR test was never designed to be used for diagnostic purposes. Because of its high level of sensitivity it sometimes gives false positives.

Go ahead and take it if you want to, but I would still suggest testing at 13 weeks to confirm the hoped-for negative result.

For future reference NEVER double up your condoms. It's a mistaken idea that is going to give you greater protection. It actually often has the effect of the condoms rubbing and damaging each other. A single latex condom properly worn will do the job.

Good luck with your test(s). I expect you to test negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline roger.us

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:44:27 pm »
Hi, It is actually HIV-RNA with PCR test ... It is coupled with Viral load test if this comes out to be positive.

Does HIV - RNA by PCR a good diagnostic measure as suggested the doc ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 02:49:05 pm »
PCR-RNA tests are not stand alone tests and must be used in conjuction with an antibody test. As Andy advised you a 13 week test will be conclusive.

Offline roger.us

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:03 pm »
I will surely take 13 week test as suggested by andy.

I wish to bring more clarity - to be precise the test was HIV RNA by RT-PCR

Pls advice whether this RT-PCR test is any useful ?

Offline roger.us

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:04:24 pm »
PAge 57 of this book http://books.google.co.in/books?id=jzMGnInbkd0C&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=HIV+RNA+RT+PCR+test&source=bl&ots=e5qmRR60By&sig=fUrMhdSa24VtpvShVrNylZl4ACQ&hl=en&ei=Y1HaSZHVC5n0tAPYn_mqCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5

says that RT PCR can be used as a diagnostic for HIV 1 virus in newly affected individuals prior to seroconverison. Pls comment

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 03:10:41 pm »
You still have to get a conclusive test result which is 13 weeks post exposure. An RT PCR test is not a stand alone either and has to be used in conjunction with an ANTIBODY Test.

Offline roger.us

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 03:16:22 pm »
In that book on next page its written that if HIV anti body test is negative, then HIV RT-PCR test can be used in diagnosing HIV infection prior to seroconverison.

What do you mean by in conjunction with antibody test ? From what i understand, if antibody test if -ve, RT-PCR can still show HIV infection. So doing RT PCR straight away, isn't that a good idea ?

Im just a newbie in this area, pls dont be offended by my inquisitive nature.

Offline roger.us

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:25:25 pm »
Andy, Ann - any replies ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:48:05 pm »
I don't care what any book or other source says about the PCR. It was never designed to be a diagnostic test. It's highly sensitive and because of that sometimes, more often than one would wish, will deliver a false positive.

I understand you want an answer as quickly as possible, but we stick with what the CDC recommends, which is for a conclusively negative result you should test at 13 weeks after a risky incident.

And I do expect you will test negative. What you choose to do is up to you. I'm just offering my opinion. And if you keep shopping around you're going to get all kinds of ideas which will not give you the final and definitive answer that you want and that only a test result can give you.
Andy Velez

Offline roger.us

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:15:57 am »
My RT PCR test says "Not detectable" Sensitivity being 50 ml. So HIV 1 virus is not there or is present but below 50 ml level which is not detected by RT PCR.

Pls recommend how relevant this result is ? I will surely go for a 13 week test for confirmation.

Offline roger.us

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 07:19:47 am »
This is the report in detail.

HIV1- RNA PCR (NUCLEIC ACID DETECTION)

Test: :Detection of HIV-1 viral RNA from patient`s plasma.

Method: Real Time - Polymerase Chain Reaction(RT-PCR). This involves
Reverse transcription and amplification of the 73 bp region of the HIV
genome

Equipment used:Rotorgene from Corbett Research , Australia.

Subtypes Detected::All HIV-1 group M subtypes

Analytical sensitivity:53 IU/ml

HIV-1 RNAResult:NOT DETECTABLE.

Remark:A positive HIV RNA result indicates a HIV-1 infection in the
individual. a result`NOT DETECTABLE` is seen in absence of HIV-1
infection or patients with viral copies below 53 IU/ml. This test
cannot be used for diagnosis of HIV-2 infection.

Sample type::Serum

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:00 am »
You don't  have to explain tests to us we are very aware of the tests used. You were advise when to test to obtain a conclusive result. End of discussion.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:55 am »
Roger,

As your RNA PCR (taken 14 days after) came back undetectable, it's highly unlikely you've been infected with hiv. You still need to confirm that result with a standard antibody test at the three month point.

You should never have been given PEP - your risk simply wasn't high enough to warrant it. You were NEVER likely to become infected following the condom break. Your situation also did not warrant RNA testing.

You should NEVER use two (or more) condoms at once. Provided you put ONE condom on CORRECTLY, you are well protected, and a correctly used condom RARELY breaks. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you know how to use them correctly in future.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection and retain your hiv negative status. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.