Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:16:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Going crazy!!  (Read 3746 times)

Offline scared_guy

• Standard
Going crazy!!
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:34:14 pm »
Hi People,

First of all I want to say you have a great forum and your help and knowledge is really appreciated!

Don't really know where to begin...so I just start.

I'm 25 year old gay male and I have a few questions. I hope you can provide me with some much needed info and help.

I have always thought I was very careful with safe sex, but I'm not so sure anymore.
I had this encounter with a guy who is very into kinky stuff and he tried it on me...I was curious and scared, but I gave in (something I really regret now!).
There was no anal penetration, but he used a variety of sex-toys on me. And I'm so scared I had a big risk.

We did electro-sex, where he put a buttplug in my anus and a very small pin (I think they call it a sound or something) in my urethra. Not all the way down, probably just haf a centimetre or one centimetre.

I don't really know what it was or how to call it, but it was very small (not like the ones you see in the picture if you google it). Of course I asked if he cleaned everything ( he told me, he did) and whether it was safe . He is really experienced...but still I'm so nervous and scared. He told me the HIV can't live outside the body on a toy or such a pin. But what if somebody else's blood was on it...I didn't see that, but you never know.

That thing was not far in my urethra, but I'm very scared I had a big risk. I did catch a UTI (urinary tract infection) because of it , but that's gone now...since I have used antibiotics. I went to the doctors. I didn't dare to ask for my other risk...

I have asked him over and over again if he cleans all his toys, and he insists he does. But how could I then catch the UTI? And is my risk for HIV even bigger since I had that UTI?

I know this is quite a weird story, but I really hope you guys can help me!!!

I'm scared to even post this, but I know I have to.
I would like to hear your opinions

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Going crazy!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »
Hi Guy . I read your concerns very carefully and have concluded that you did NOT have a risk for HIV in any of the activity's you described .

The information about HIV surviving outside the confines of the human body is correct , small changes in temperature and oxygen render HIV unable to infect so you were never in danger of exposure .

Its safe for you to move on without fear and put this out of your mind now . If you use condoms consistently and correctly for vaginal and anal sex you will avoid exposure to HIV . Remember the fact that other STD's are much easier to pick up than HIV , so if you aren't doing so already its best to have a full sexual health checkup at least once a year that includes HIV testing . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline scared_guy

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:14:23 pm »
Thanks for your answer Jeff G.
Are you really sure?
Because what I don't understand, how can somebody for example contract hiv from a used needle during doing drugs?  That needle has been in touch with oxygen, so how is it able to infect?

maybe I'm just over analyzing....And in my case your saying I was not in risk of exposure to hiv, but I was in risks for other std's?But NOT hiv?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 06:25:40 pm »
Thanks for your answer Jeff G.
Are you really sure?
Because what I don't understand, how can somebody for example contract hiv from a used needle during doing drugs?  That needle has been in touch with oxygen, so how is it able to infect?

maybe I'm just over analyzing....And in my case your saying I was not in risk of exposure to hiv, but I was in risks for other std's?But NOT hiv?

The bore of a hypodermic needle when full of blood is in fact a low oxygen vacuum and that's why the freshly drawn blood inside a syringe while sharing needles is a perfect environment for HIV exposures .

The conditions that were present when you share a sex toy are vastly diffrent than what one would encounter while sharing injection equipment . You didn't have a risk for HIV .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:08:53 am »
Guy,

In order for there to be a risk for hiv infection when sharing drug injecting equipment, the needle needs to be shared immediately after the other person has used it. Drug needles are hollow bore and the type of "needles" used for electrical stimulation are not.

In other words, the type of "needles" (more often referred to as a "probes", if memory serves) are NOT hollow bore. It's only hollow-bore needles (such as used for injecting purposes) that provide a place for hiv to remain viable and able to infect, and even then, only for a short period of time.

You also need to understand that most bacteria are MUCH more robust than hiv and can remain viable and able to infect outside the body, UNLIKE hiv. UTIs are bacterial infections, not viral.

Also, the irritation inside your urethra caused by the play you engaged in could be enough to cause the UTI you experienced as irritated membranes are much more susceptible to ordinary bacteria found in the everyday environment.

I hope you're aware that we are completely surrounded by bacteria in and on our skin at any given time, unless you live in a medically controlled bubble environment.

I have a suggestion for you: If you ever decide to take part in this type of play again in future, wash the toys yourself before they are used on you - and make sure you wash your hands and he also washes his hands before play commences. 

Any understanding partner won't mind you doing this. Sure, they may want to supervise you while you do so (just to make sure you're not damaging his - or her! - toys), but any person who really has your best interest - and pleasure - at heart will allow this.

You should also wash dildos or probes if you're going to use them immediately after another person. This is NOT due to any hiv concern, it's due to reducing the possibility of transmitting bacterial infections like chlamydia or gonorrhea. If it's inconvenient to wash a dildo between people, put a condom on it.

There's nothing wrong with this type of play, provided it is also something you're interested in and it's not being forced on you. So please make sure your hiv fears are not based in shame or embarrassment over taking part in sex play that is a little on the "kinky" side. Kinky can be good, pleasurable, fun and SAFE. Did I mention FUN and PLEASURABLE?

Just to make myself perfectly clear, no, you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection during this out-of-the-ordinary play session.

While you're here, and for future reference, here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST FOR HIV SPECIFICALLY OVER THIS PLAY SESSION, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

By the way, if you go to a sexual health clinic as opposed to a GP, you're not going to have to explain why you want a full panel of STI testing. All they need (and usually all they want) to know is that you're sexually active. You don't have to give them a blow-by-blow (no pun intended) account of your activities.

GPs can be a little more nosy, probably because they don't often come across (again, no pun intended ;D ) details of kinky sex play. Sexual health clinics have heard it all before.

Kinky play can be very pleasurable and add a whole new dimension to your sex play. Provided the kinky play is agreed upon by BOTH parties, there's nothing wrong with it. Just make sure any toys or other props are clean, because you're much more likely to end up with a bacterial infection than a viral one like hiv. Hiv really is a difficult virus to transmit.

All you need to do is to make sure condoms are being used when the kinky play leads to penile-anal or penile-vaginal penetration, whether you're the top or bottom when the penetration takes place.

Please don't feel ashamed or let that shame lead to unwarranted hiv fears. Lots of people - hiv negative as well as hiv positive - enrich their sex lives through a bit of kinky play now and then. Make sure the toys are washed first to avoid bacterial infections, then relax and enjoy your session.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:36:19 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scared_guy

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:42:37 am »
Thanks again Jeff!

And Ann, thank you so much for your very detailed information!
I know that I have serious (unwarranted) HIV fears... and that's really complicated (maybe because of shame...I don't really know).
The very few times I did have anal sex I have been very scared that the condom broke without me noticing it. The very few times I did do that we very quick (only a few minutes) and I used lube and everything (and didn't even cum). So I should know that it's very unlikely that the condom broke. I was the top, so I should have felt/saw/noticed it.

Still this is something which I can worry about.... ( as I noticed I'm not the only one here). 
I did read your condom tips (about "the stroke" etc.) and I think they are very helpful.

Thanks again for your time! It means a lot

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.