Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:27:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 316
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 307
Total: 307

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: America's Rudest Cities  (Read 14003 times)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
America's Rudest Cities
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:51:11 pm »
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-rudest-cities/3

Of course, Miami ranks number two (I believe we were #1 last year - but NYC has reclaimed the top position) - who would have thunk it?  Miami rude?  Get the F**K outta here...

now, pardon me while i scratch my B**LS while texting on my cell, while driving, cuttin ur ass off in traffic, cursin' out the person in front of me, not using me turn signal, not lettin you in front of me, and not holdin the elevator door for u --- oh, and BTW, I'm bout to steal ur parking space, rip you off in car or home repairs, not say please or thank you and cough, sneeze, and blow smoke in your direction....

Welcome to MIAMI -- don't u just love us  :-*
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: America's Rudest Cities
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »
No. 11 Philadelphia

Since it was the third-rudest city last year, the City of Brotherly Love appears to be successfully returning to its namesake roots. While these sports-loving folks may still have some East Coast curtness, you can break the ice by asking for a good lunch recommendation: the city ranked in the top five for burgers and street food.

C'mon on up, Wumpette! 8)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »

I'm surprised Boston is so low (#5).  I want to live in Savannah, Georgia.  I hear the only problem there is type 2 diabetes.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »

Of course, Miami ranks number two (I believe we were #1 last year - but NYC has reclaimed the top position) - who would have thunk it?  Miami rude?  Get the F**K outta here...

now, pardon me while i scratch my B**LS while texting on my cell, while driving, cuttin ur ass off in traffic, cursin' out the person in front of me, not using me turn signal, not lettin you in front of me, and not holdin the elevator door for u --- oh, and BTW, I'm bout to steal ur parking space, rip you off in car or home repairs, not say please or thank you and cough, sneeze, and blow smoke in your direction....

And to think, you are one of the "nice" ones.  8)

Joe

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »
Interesting. Every time I've been to NYC I have found the people to be very kind, surprisingly so. Even remember a random lady coming up to me and asking me if I needed help/directions when I was looking forlornly at a map trying to figure out what Subway to take to my hotel. Also remember trying to hail a cab and being schooled on the proper procedure by a random passerby.  ;)

Havent been to Philly or Miami since I was a teen, so cant really comment on those cities. Although If I were to have a bitchy tour guide like MissP to show me the city I am sure it would be bearable so I wouldnt have to do all the shoving and cursing.

IMHO, and Im sorry fellow AMG'ers, DC is the rudest city. Im there at least once a year and everytime I get pissed off by the rudeness on the subways and other places public places.

-Will

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:37:33 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:56:49 pm »
All my years in NY I never felt it was especially rude. Pushy yes and in your face, yes. But also very friendly and rather generous.

I don't think public vulgarity or aggressiveness is particularly rude.  I think smart and/or rather rich people, or alternative smart asses, acting badly, selfishly, and or snottily is extremely rude.  That series Portlandia is about an entire class of hideously rude people.   And then there is the rudeness of "trash" youth. Poor kids who you would say have had a bad upbringing.  All those Youtube videos for example of people going ape shit in fast food restaurants.  Did notice this in NY, in London, Manchester, etc.  Vicky Pollard.....

From a distance I'd say most people in most American cities are very nice indeed.

There are some cultures in Europe of public disconnectedness or disinterest in others.  It chills me, as an American. 

Also, despite how hot and warm and encompassing one thinks Latin cultures might be, I've seen hideous public rudeness in Milan and Rome, for example.  By macho dicks or pretentious fashion people especially.

Cannes, like Miami, is very beautiful and flashy and publically rude.  I think the rudest place I've been on earth was the very beautiful French ski resort Courchevel.
St. Tropez is a close second.

Paris is a world onto its own for the snarky attitude people can display in public.   That said, most Parisiens are perfectly nice.  It's just the class of people who enjoy being rude, really know how to do it.   The thing about Paris is that the people being impolite are doing it on purpose!!!! 

Isn't Paris like the world class champion rude city? 

I guess there might be even worse in Eastern Europe, or maybe China???  Maybe where living is cruel, or where there is a different conception entirely of respect or civility.

Here in Europe many people think the Germans and English tourists are vulgar and rude but its seems so accidental to me.   Rudeness is rudeness, but if a bunch of German workers are being pigs or a hoard of English youth are giving American Spring Break a run for its money (and the run will be NAKED) you kind of just look and say so what, what's it to me?

Savannah should probably be a World Heritage Site for being not only beautiful, but really kind.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:12:12 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:54 pm »
Paris is a world onto its own for the snarky attitude people can display in public.   That said, most Parisiens are perfectly nice.  It's just the class of people who enjoy being rude, really know how to do it.   The thing about Paris is that the people being impolite are doing it on purpose!!!! 

Isn't Paris like the world class champion rude city? 

Funny you mention Paris as rude.  Stephen and I spent two weeks there and as long as we tried to speak French, people went out of their way to be very kind and helpful.  Ironically, the rudest Parisian that we encountered worked for the Paris Tourist Bureau.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:07 pm »
Well, when I clicked the aggregate map, Tampa was not listed.

Of course here we are courteous, comfy, cuddly, cautious and cool.

;) :D ;D :) 8)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:34:23 pm »

Havent been to Philly or Miami since I was a teen, so cant really comment on those cities. Although If I were to have a bitchy tour guide like MissP to show me the city I am sure it would be bearable so I wouldnt have to do all the shoving and cursing.

Oh please, I'd lose you and have you end up in the North Philly Kill Zone.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »

We live indeed in the most ridiculously rude city --not in the US, in the world. 

To this day I still can't see what is so supposedly rude about New York.  Ever since I moved from NYC to Miami I have been appalled by the meanness and rudeness of some/many heads down here.  You just get used to it, eventually.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17:28 am »
Of course, Louisville is the nicest city.  Everyone knows that. 

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:17:16 am »

There are some cultures in Europe of public disconnectedness or disinterest in others.  It chills me, as an American. 

I guess there might be even worse in Eastern Europe, or maybe China???  Maybe where living is cruel, or where there is a different conception entirely of respect or civility.

Yeah, like here ;). Most people in India don’t understand the western notion of ‘personal space’.  It is considered totally ‘ok’ for a complete stranger on a train to strike up a conversation about your marital status (“Why are you not married yet?” with a look of extreme concern and shock LOL) and then proffer their ‘well-meaning advice’  on the virtues of marriage. LOL. Or for an elderly woman to whine about the annoying habits of her daughter-in-law on the bus etc. ;). Or for a stranger to offer you some of his or her lunch. I don’t find any of this sort of thing bothersome and one develops their own ways of dealing with it- it’s just part and parcel of where you are. But I do know some expats and tourists who find it really annoying and I can see why.

Also, words such as ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ are sparingly used in everyday parlance in Indian languages as they are implied in the ‘suffix’ of words (in Indian languages) used to address people with respect. For example: The word ‘You’ when translated in Hindi breaks into 3 different words depending on whether you’re addressing a close friend or family member of roughly your age (most informal), a stranger of roughly your age or younger (semi-formal), or a stranger, family member etc who is much older (most formal). I think this exists in French too- the “tu’ and “vous” divide. So when people, who are not fluent in English, switch over from their native tongue and drop the ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ etc- it may come across as rude, when it isn’t meant to be.

Coming from this, I found the ‘public disconnectedness’ as you call it, in some European cities almost refreshing at times. If you’re on the London tube and someone starts talking too loudly (which is pretty rare anyway) you just bury your head even more in the Daily Mail. LOL. I also quite like the English obsession with ‘please’ and ‘thank you’.

I have only been to NYC, LA and San Francisco in the US. And I found everyone quite friendly.

PS- I wish we’d learnt how to form orderly queues as perfectly as we’d learnt cricket from the Brits.  ;)

PPS- Rudest city I’ve ever visited----> Prague. Which is a pity given how nice a place it is.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:19:33 am by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:42:40 am »
I've always found the words please and thank you to be amongst the most useful in the English language. Saying "may I please" or "would you please" with a smile when addressing someone behind a counter (or whatever) greases the wheels like nothing else. Good manners cost nothing and it's an easy habit to get into.

When my daughter was in school her teachers always, without fail, commented on how polite she was, rarely failing to say please and thank you. Most of the teachers wanted to know how we achieved this as parents. The answer is simple - we always said please and thank you to her, pretty much from when she was born. We never, ever had to nag her to do it. It was cute when she was first learning to talk - most of her sentences started with "pease". ;D

Space, thanks for the explanation of how the use of the word please is connected to language and culture. It makes sense.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 06:52:48 am »
Funny you mention Paris as rude.  Stephen and I spent two weeks there and as long as we tried to speak French, people went out of their way to be very kind and helpful.  Ironically, the rudest Parisian that we encountered worked for the Paris Tourist Bureau.

Well as I said, it's frequently perceived as rude.  And I also find most people are quite nice, just like in many other cities.  The way we feel rudeness in our home city, or native culture, isn't the same as in another.

Some French relish their haughtiness or disdain, others do it without thinking. If they do it, they do it "well" (meaning its incredibly rude and everyone in the world notices and remembers this about the French). 

Think of DSK's and his peers, on the left, no less, discussing his transgressions in NYC. What's the big deal, just "droit de seigneur".

Either you take French disdain as part of the culture and go with it, or you can be really shocked!

To wit:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6197921.stm

A dozen or so Japanese tourists a year have to be repatriated from the French capital, after falling prey to what's become known as "Paris syndrome".

That is what some polite Japanese tourists suffer when they discover that Parisians can be rude or the city does not meet their expectations.

The experience can apparently be too stressful for some and they suffer a psychiatric breakdown.

Around a million Japanese travel to France every year.

Shocking reality

Many of the visitors come with a deeply romantic vision of Paris - the cobbled streets, as seen in the film Amelie, the beauty of French women or the high culture and art at the Louvre.

The reality can come as a shock.

An encounter with a rude taxi driver, or a Parisian waiter who shouts at customers who cannot speak fluent French, might be laughed off by those from other Western cultures.

But for the Japanese - used to a more polite and helpful society in which voices are rarely raised in anger - the experience of their dream city turning into a nightmare can simply be too much.

This year alone, the Japanese embassy in Paris has had to repatriate four people with a doctor or nurse on board the plane to help them get over the shock.

Paris street market
An encounter with a rude Parisian can be a shocking experience
They were suffering from "Paris syndrome".

It was a Japanese psychiatrist working in France, Professor Hiroaki Ota, who first identified the syndrome some 20 years ago.

On average, up to 12 Japanese tourists a year fall victim to it, mainly women in their 30s with high expectations of what may be their first trip abroad.

The Japanese embassy has a 24-hour hotline for those suffering from severe culture shock, and can help find hospital treatment for anyone in need.

However, the only permanent cure is to go back to Japan - never to return to Paris.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:38 am »
Space, thanks for the explanation of how the use of the word please is connected to language and culture. It makes sense.

You're welcome.  :)

And here's a free demo for everyone on how to be polite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNlOINMuE4M&feature=related ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:41:46 am by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:30 am »
I asked my partner which city is most rude since he is a flight attendant and has been all over the world. He said Paris because if you don't try to speak French they just ignore you. He said he finds the people of Edinburgh, and Scotland in general, the friendliest. He has several relatives, including his youngest brother, living in Maimi-- "shit hole" were his exact words.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 09:48:58 am »
I asked my partner which city is most rude since he is a flight attendant and has been all over the world. He said Paris because if you don't try to speak French they just ignore you. He said he finds the people of Edinburgh, and Scotland in general, the friendliest. He has several relatives, including his youngest brother, living in Maimi-- "shit hole" were his exact words.

I don't know why Miami gets such a bad rap.  The two times I got robbed at gunpoint they let me go with my life.  One black eye and a couple of wallets missing is all.....lol

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 10:20:13 am »
I have to say that L. A. is the rudest city to live, if your a blue collar bolk like I was, but if you were an A-lister or a movie-star, those individuals all seem to thrive in that hell hole of a city  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 11:41:40 am »
I have to say that L. A. is the rudest city to live, if your a blue collar bolk like I was, but if you were an A-lister or a movie-star, those individuals all seem to thrive in that hell hole of a city  ;)

Having lived there, I didn't think L.A. people were particularly rude except on the highways. Places like L.A. and New York are so large and diverse that it is hard to say. Venice and Santa Monica is such a different vibe compared to Inglewood or East L.A. I do know when I lived in Seattle people were very friendly, neighbors knocked on my door and introduced themselves. I had friends very quickly. When I moved to Los Angeles and said hello to neighbors at my apartment complex they had a suspicious "what do you want" attitude. When I went to school people were generally pleasant but I kept getting this "what can you do for me" or "who do you know" vibe. Many people seemed to think being a full-time graduate student and working at the university computer lab wasn't very ambitious.

Offline denb45

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 11:52:53 am »
Having lived there, I didn't think L.A. people were particularly rude except on the highways. Places like L.A. and New York are so large and diverse that it is hard to say. Venice and Santa Monica is such a different vibe compared to Inglewood or East L.A. I do know when I lived in Seattle people were very friendly, neighbors knocked on my door and introduced themselves. I had friends very quickly. When I moved to Los Angeles and said hello to neighbors at my apartment complex they had a suspicious "what do you want" attitude. When I went to school people were generally pleasant but I kept getting this "what can you do for me" or "who do you know" vibe. Many people seemed to think being a full-time graduate student and working at the university computer lab wasn't very ambitious.

I hated L.A. and all of southern Ca. maybe cause I was in the Navy at the time, but after I got out of the service, all I could stand of it was 2 to 3 yrs. I moved back to nor-ca my home of record, I seemed to like that a lot better especially the S.F. Bay Area, now people there seems to be much nicer than L.A. from what I recall  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 10:24:13 pm »
and now, they say Miami is America's 3rd most stressful city:

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/20/10200982-americas-most-stressful-cities-in-2012

3. Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, Florida
Population: 2,472,015
Divorced: 11.5%
Commute time – minutes: 33.2
Unemployment: 12.5%
Violent crime per 100,000 population: 733.3
Property crime per 100,000 population: 4,678.3
Suicides per 100,000 population: 9.3
Cloudy days annually: 117
Standout factors: Metropolitan Miami is in the 97th percentile for property crime, and 95th percentile for violent crime, but is in the fourth percentile for alcohol consumption.

:'(
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 11:23:18 pm »
I don't always trust these results as I don't believe they ever visit all the rude ass cities in the midwest.  The entire state of Wisconsin has some of the rudest people ever.  And Kansas, yes Kansas.  We stayed in Junction City for a week and I made a joke about clicking my heels to go home, and the locals got pissed.  Maybe they all don't smile cause they don't have teeth, but I think they're just rude.

Southern hospitality still reigns and I love the people down yonder.  Especially Atlanta.  I unexpectedly spent a night there a long time ago on my way to Florida.   :D

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/20/10200982-americas-most-stressful-cities-in-2012

Standout factors: Metropolitan Miami is in the 97th percentile for property crime, and 95th percentile for violent crime, but is in the fourth percentile for alcohol consumption.

You're soooooo junior league down there -- your murder rate is a paltry 15.4 per 100,000. Killadelphia has 17.6 :) Violent crime stats are higher as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

And if they threw in the figures for Camden, NJ which is right across the Delaware River, and known as the single most dangerous place in the country, our figures would be even worse. Or also included Chester, PA which is directly south of city limits past the airport. Chester' homocide rate per 100,000 is a staggering 64.3 -- the highest in Pennsylvania. But never fear! Camden's rate is 2,333 per 100,000.... yep, you read that right.

I feel safe to say that in terms of total metropolitan area I live in the very most dangerous place in the United States... it's practically third world. The funny thing is that I never hear any guns go off.

But still, we can't hold a candle to New Orleans (Hi Trey!), St. Louis, Baltimore and Detroit.  Oh, and don't forget Washington where you are holding AMG... make sure you bring a gun because that ranks up higher than Filthy too, with 21.9 per 100,000 murders annually.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:34 pm »

Does this include Liberty City and Opa Locka? 

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 09:39:28 pm »
Does this include Liberty City and Opa Locka?

I think so Thomas - even though the figure than gets artificially lowered because of the inclusion of areas such as Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, Bal Harbour --- if just Liberty City was looked at, the rate would blow most other cities out of the water.... they have a killing there almost everyday.

That's the thing about Miami - the "rich" low crime areas give an overall perspective that the city has a low crime index compared to other cities.  One only has to live in North Miami where I am to here and see constant police sirens and cars racing down the road and occasionally hear the gun shots. 

Heck, I was robbed at gun point about 4 years ago right outside of where I now live (and it was only 8 in the evening) Two weeks later, the guys who robbed me, robbed the BK next store at 4 in the afternoon and shot the manager execution style.  They were finally caught - one killed himself in jail while awaiting trial, the other was sentenced to life w/o parole.
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 11:48:39 pm »
And you expect me to visit you when you live in the local equivalent of North Philly? ... don't think so!

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 06:59:13 am »
And you expect me to visit you when you live in the local equivalent of North Philly? ... don't think so!

You would be perfectly safe - they LOVE me where I live   ::)    (and I do have a couple of bullet proof vests we can wear, should we choose to venture out) - Also, the bookstore is so conveniently located, just 10 blocks down the road  ;)
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:46 am »
the local equivalent of North Philly? ... don't think so!

WOW... North Philadelphia looks a bit rougher than Chester does. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 08:03:47 am »
WOW... North Philadelphia looks a bit rougher than Chester does. 

But heroin is so widely available up there -- kind of like an open air bazaar.

Would you prefer a visit to Camden?

Offline denb45

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 09:35:51 am »

I haven't used Heroin since 1979/80  :-[

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:13 am »
Camden or Newark would be nice on a warm and sunny midsummer day....... NOT! 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:47 am »
I think so Thomas - even though the figure than gets artificially lowered because of the inclusion of areas such as Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, Bal Harbour --- if just Liberty City was looked at, the rate would blow most other cities out of the water.... they have a killing there almost everyday.

If you take the likes of Liberty City, Opa Locka, and the bad part of Coconut Grove out it would probably make Miami's crime rate figure go down tremendously as well.  Miami is weird in some ways though, there is a small nook in El Portal where being one street over means the difference between 1 minute and 2 hour police response times.  I grew up and lived in what's considered the Northern most part of Miami, about a mile from Dade-Broward County line.  It use to be nice there (think back to 89) when most of the residents grew up, raised families, and died there.  It's not like that anymore, more of a transient city now.   I've met people up here from Florida and they moved for the same reasons my wife and I did.  There just isn't many jobs down that way.   My wife's brother has been out of work now for 3 months and has become so depressed over it we're all worried about him.  He actually started seeing a therapist, which for him is a very big step.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 01:12:05 am »
But still, we can't hold a candle to New Orleans (Hi Trey!)

I was gonna say something but you beat me to it.  I was under the impression that New Orleans was Number 1 for this statistic but by the way you describe Camden it sounds worse.  I actually knew someone who got murdered in the Quarter.  Although, I haven't really made it public but I moved a little while ago.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 07:46:14 am »
I was gonna say something but you beat me to it.  I was under the impression that New Orleans was Number 1 for this statistic but by the way you describe Camden it sounds worse.  I actually knew someone who got murdered in the Quarter.  Although, I haven't really made it public but I moved a little while ago.

Camden is only 77,000 people. When they say NO is #1, or Saint Louis, it's in the grouping of large cities. Camden is such a mess they've had three mayors involved in drug dealing corruption, and now all city functions and schools are run directly by the state. What's amazing is that this place is literally directly across the river from Society Hill, the most elite of neighborhoods in the historic section of Philadelphia.

I always think of New Orleans as being larger than it actually is. A population of 343,000 is like when I lived in Richmond, VA (another very violent city, though it didn't get really violent until right after I moved away fortunately).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:46:55 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 12:32:11 am »
New Orleans actually is extremely spread out.  You have Kenner, Metairie, Chalmette, lying on the outskirts, also post katrina a lot of the population just never came back.  So I'd imagine the population in say 2004 was a lot higher.

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:26 pm »
NO is a major city, for its historical importance, its cultural importance, its place in the imagination.  Like SF.  Both rather small. And of course NO lost so much population recently.

There are all these new fangled metropolises these days.

Who thinks of Phoenix as a major American city and yet it is.

Also there is the question of metropolitan area versus actual city population, which depends on incorporation. In that conception, Detroit is still huge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Inspired in part by this thread, I google mapped Detroit recently and its harrowing to see this pock marked urban landscape of decay and abandonment, every bit as bad as all the horror photos we see now and then in the Media.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:22:51 pm by mecch »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »
San Francisco is small because it's borders are confined to a peninsula. If you take into account the entire bay region, it's a large metropolitan area. What I mean is that city borders are fake entities -- if NYC had never consolidated five boroughs it would be smallish, as you'd just know it as Manhattan (population 1.5 million, or the same as Philadelphia)

New Orleans is famous culturally, and it's geographically important in terms of shipping, but other than that the metropolitan area is the size of rather unimportant city.. the same size as Richmond, VA, also historically important but not of much interest in a global economy, which is all that matters in today's world.

New Orleans actually is extremely spread out.  You have Kenner, Metairie, Chalmette, lying on the outskirts, also post katrina a lot of the population just never came back.  So I'd imagine the population in say 2004 was a lot higher.

Like any older city, population decline has been going on longer than one hurricane -- look up the entry on NO's demographic history on wikipedia. The highest it's ever been was the 1960 census with 627,525. Basically NO has suffered a rate of depopulation akin to Detroit. It's true that Katrina made the situation all the more miserable, with 100,000 more people leaving and all at once, but the shrinking city had been going on for 50 years.

Philadelphia has had a similar population decline, but not 50% -- more like 25% over 50 years. And it's easy to explain at least for here, because we produced the bulk of war material for both WW1 and 2, since there were tons of factories already here, and two of the largest shipyards in the country, and the meeting point of rail lines from north, south, and midwest. There's an entire PBS feature about this issue if you ever see it on TV. As of the last census our population had stopped going down and had actually increased by +0.6% :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:36:52 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 03:32:08 pm »
Great....

Now Miami has received the title of "America's Most Miserable City."

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-most-miserable-cities-2012.html

Tell me again why I live here?

Maybe because it is 74 outside right now and tomorrow's high is supposed to be 80; maybe because of the beaches; the clubs; the palm trees; the close proximity to the Bahamas, the cruise ships, Key West....

So, as I make my way through rush hour traffic tonight and the rude drivers back to my over-priced apartment, and then out for some over-priced dinner and drinks, I shall try - yes, I shall try, to remember the above.

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »

Tell me again why I live here?

Girl, please.  You know you're gonna get responses such as: because you're addicted to Cuban and Haitian schlong.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »
Key West? Seriously?

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 03:56:03 pm »
Girl, please.  You know you're gonna get responses such as: because you're addicted to Cuban and Haitian schlong.

Oh yeah.... I almost forgot
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59:12 pm »
Key West? Seriously?
There are two good gay bars there - one with a pool in the back that I swam nude in before - much to the "may" of the other customers and the "dismay" of my "partner."  There is also "Sloppy Joes" http://www.sloppyjoes.com/      and some great jet skiiing.

(BTW, one day I have to learn how to put the link underneath a word)
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »
Two whole gay bars? How thrilling. ::)

... and 8 Disney cruise ships

Oh, and everyone knows that the Turks & Caicos > Bahamas
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:06:34 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »
Two whole gay bars? How thrilling. ::)

... and 8 Disney cruise ships

Oh, and everyone knows that the Turks & Caicos > Bahamas

I actually preferred Cozumel -- had a great time at Señor Frogs

and the ads say that "it is better in the Bahamas"  although it is usually "bigger" in Jamaica  ;D
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 04:29:09 pm »
Honey, you live in the tropics. Why are you taking vacations to other parts of the tropics? Mebbe you should branch out one season and go skiing in Gstadd. Or maybe horseback riding along the Baltic in Poland?

Señor Frogs? Really? That name on a sign should be your first hint to "just say no"!

edit: omg, I even googled that and learned it's a chain. There's even one in Myrtle Beach. I can only imagine the clientele.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:31:09 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 03:23:28 am »
What? People think New Yorkers are nice? I have been here going on 3 years. If you find someone nice, it must be in Manhattan and they're being nice cause they want you to spend your damn money on some bullshit. To me, the people here are very rude and take pride in being rude as hell. I give them this they don't discriminate even if you are disabled. These mofo over here need sensitivity training!!!!!
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.