Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:48:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Are my tests conclusive?? Andy you seem very informed, please respond  (Read 15698 times)

Offline princezz85

Hi everyone,

Like most people here, I had a possible exposure....

I'm a 22 yr old female who had unprotected sex once with a "friend" of mine.

I got tested up to 15 weeks and was negative. My doctors tell me that 6 months is truly negative.

Should I get this 6 month test done, or am I good to go? Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

Re: Are my tests conclusive?? Andy you seem very informed, please respond
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:06:25 pm »
13 weeks is conclusive. You don't need to test out to 6 months. That's the old guidelines.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:50:52 pm »
The CDC is very conservative with regard to testing guidelines. For quite some time they have endorsed 13 weeks as sufficient for a reliable result except in cases involving either IV drug use or when the person has a severely compromised immune system from something like treatment for cancer. Believe me, if your immune system was compromised you'd know it because everything pretty much starts collapsing.

So yes, you have reliably tested negative for HIV and you're good to go.

However, you need to learn from this experience. You can have intercourse with whomever you like as long as the guy is always wearing a condom. No exceptions no matter what you think you know about his history or how great he looks or anything. A condom is a must!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline princezz85

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:06:39 am »
Thanks for your insight Andy and RapidRod.

Andy, when you say things start to fall apart, what do you mean by that?

Can that be common things happening to my body all at once or does it mean that I would be so sick I'd be in a hospital bed? Thanks.

I've been going to the doctor for other reasons than HIV, but am just so afraid that it's all correlated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:03:29 pm »
When I say things fall apart, I mean severe symptoms. Extreme weight loss, weakness, and various serious physical problems.
Andy Velez

Offline princezz85

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 08:38:09 am »
I was reading in the forum about two males who were confirmed to have HIV following apprx 4 months after their exposure.

Is this physically possible, can they be apart of that 3% who just seroconvert late according to the CDC?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 09:07:41 am »
I don't know which cases you are referring to and for instance specifically as to if and when they had tested negative earlier.  Please clarify.
Andy Velez

Offline princezz85

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 10:09:02 am »
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=5263.0

I came across this page and the last message from MadBrain states that he seroconverted after 3 months.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 10:54:56 am »
Prin,

Maybe you should not read that forum. My reading of his posts tells me that it is more likely to be his partner who introduced hiv into their relationship. His situation has nothing to do with yours.

You can go on testing for this as long as you like, but your negative result will not change unless you  actually have unprotected intercourse - now or in the future - with an hiv positive person.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms correctly and consistently and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline princezz85

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 02:02:34 pm »
Thanks Ann, I hope so. I just wonder who that 3% is left from the CDC guidelines because no where on their page does it say for people with Immune Deficiency etc..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 02:27:04 pm »
The 3% are for those the don't use condoms consistently or correctly.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 02:53:59 pm »
prin,

Anytime you start questioning people about their sexual practices, memories get hazy. Sometimes people don't want to admit to having unprotected intercourse while already in a window period. Vagarities like that are included in the 3% everyone is so eager to worry about.

The only people who MIGHT take a little longer to seroconvert and test positive are those on chemotherapy for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or have been injecting street drugs every day, of every week, for years.

The vast majority who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. The current window period remains at three months, to catch the very RARE person who takes a little longer than six WEEKS.

You are hiv negative. It's up to you to stay that way. As I told another woman today:

You might be interested in checking out the information on the female condom and other female controled methods of hiv prevention. And don't be afraid to carry condoms with you. Far from saying to the world that you're easy, it says to the world that you care about both yourself and others. Remember to use them!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline princezz85

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 03:21:22 pm »
Thanks Ann, trust me I've learned my lesson. Can I ask you something? Do you work in the medical field or with HIV patients or do you just research this topic? I've been using condoms with my boyfriend...and he's very understandable about this.

RapidRod- I meant the quote from the CDC where it states that "97% of people will seroconvert at 3 months and the 3% that will take 6 months"

I was just wondering what's their reasoning to the 3% but Ann clarified that, I was just wondering if it stated these reasons in the CDC site.

You've all been wonderful and I've felt so much better.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 03:32:21 pm »
prin,

I'm hiv positive and in an eight year relationship with an hiv negative man. I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk too.

Oh, and I read first-tier, peer-review studies and discuss the findings with people like Tim Horn and Andy Velez. If you want to know more about us... see the About Us page, funny enough. ;)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 03:36:21 pm »
Good for you for being such a positive influence.

I clicked a link you posted and came across this information... http://www.aidsmap.com/en/docs/6B677FE3-8CB1-4547-B2BE-B1979324985F.asp

A small number of people - probably one in a hundred of those who become infected - take more than two to three months to form antibodies, but it is highly unusual to take more than six months to form antibodies.

A very tiny percentage of people with HIV infection - one in a hundred thousand - never seem to develop any antibodies at all.

How is this possible???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 03:45:06 pm »
Prin,

Go look at that page again and notice when it was last updated. June 2004 - over three years ago. The field of hiv is fast-changing. We're moving closer all the time to a six week window period because it's coming more and more apparent that's all that's needed. For now, you must confirm at three months, which you have. You ARE hiv negative.

The bottom line here is - you can test at six months if you like, but your result is not going to change provided you are using condoms. If you and your boyfriend want to stop using them, you must first be securely monogamous and then test negative together.

You are hiv negative. Don't assume your boyfriend is also negative - get him to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 03:53:16 pm »
Yes, we've been dating for 4yrs actually, and I slipped up one night after a lot of drinking and made this mistake. I've managed to gain his trust back and we're very happy together. He's been tested in June and is negative for everything. I'm most probably going to test out to 6 months for my peace of mind and my boyfriend thinks it's a good idea as well.

When I read that a person may not produce anti-bodies, I got that sinking feeling in my stomach again. I've never heard such a thing and wouldn't think it was possible. I know the bodies reaction to an infection is to produce anti-bodies, so I guess a person would have to have a very IRREGULAR immune system to do so and would certainly have other issues following it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 04:07:23 pm »
a person would have to have a very IRREGULAR immune system to do so and would certainly have other issues following it. 

Prin, that's exactly right. If you were one of these people, you'd know about it.

You really do not need further testing. Your result will not change.

You ARE hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 04:08:58 pm »
Thank you so much. I really truly believe that reading off the internet is so bad and anyone can post anything without being sued. A test can't lie, and that's all what I have is a negative HIV test.

This site is honest and gets straight to the point. Thank You Ann.

Offline princezz85

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 02:49:24 pm »
Hi Ann,

Quick question:

Is chronic cervicitis an indication of HIV infection? I've been treated with cryotherapy 2months ago and had to get it done again a couple of days ago because the doctor said it was still inflamed.

What about chronic Bacterial Vaginosis?

Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 04:06:23 pm »
Prin,

These two chronic conditions are not hiv specific, no.

Remember, you do NOT have hiv. You ARE hiv negative.

If you cannot accept your hiv negative status, perhaps it's time to see a therapist to learn ways of coping with your anxiety. We cannot help you with that here.

You are hiv negative and there's nothing new to say about your situation. Keep working with your doctor in order to regain your sexual health. Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv. You are hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 07:50:05 pm »
Ann, Andy anyone...

My right palm has been itching me like crazy for the last few days. I look very closely and I see a pin sized bump under the skin. I never had this before and am so concerned. I'm so tempted to get another HIV test but I don't want to waste anymore resources for other people who really need a test instead of me who just needs re assurance. Can you help me out in this situation please?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 08:03:30 pm »
See a doctor if you have a concern. This is not an HIV concern.

Offline princezz85

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 08:19:32 pm »
Can it be related to HIV?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 08:35:23 pm »
What part of your negative result don't you understand? You are trying to relate an itchy palm with something you don't have. That is just irrational thinking.

Offline princezz85

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 08:45:22 pm »
Rapid,

I have no where to go but this forum. My family doesn't want to talk to me re: this situation and my friends are pretty much sick of me (as I don't blame them).

I plan on testing Oct 11 (6 month mark). What are my chances of turning positive. I haven't had unprotected sex since my encounter on April 11th.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 08:49:58 pm »
Zero. I advise you to go back to the "Welcome" thread and reread the posting guidelines.

Offline princezz85

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 08:52:57 pm »
Rapid,

Getting tested before three months may result in an unclear result or a false negative. Some testing centers may recommend testing again at six months. All but less than 1% of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within three months (seroconversion is the development of detectable antibodies to HIV in the blood as a result of infection.) It's extremely rare for seroconversion to take more than six months to develop detectable antibodies.

I just read this in the welcome thread... this worries me

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 09:09:19 pm »
This should worry you even more;  Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 06:04:20 am »
Prin,

You can test all you like, but as far as we are concerned you ARE conclusively hiv negative. You will not be permitted to continue to use this forum in place of a therapist's and/or doctor's office.

You ARE hiv negative and there's nothing more we can do for you here. You are heading for a time out - please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 04:06:50 pm »
Hi Ann,

Sorry for being such a nuisance yesterday... it was just "one of those days"

I was wondering, you give out such great advice, do you give peer lectures to the youth??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 05:14:59 pm »
Prin,

Not yet, but I'm hoping to sometime in the near future. And thank you for the compliment - it's been years since anyone said "peer" and "youth" in the same sentence when speaking about me. ;D

Ann
(who is firmly middle aged)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 07:45:02 pm »
Well you may say ur middle aged, but your youthful at heart.  :)

I'm looking into going to a psych therapist during these next couple of days. I need to gain control of my life again and I need to get a lot off my chest and think it would help me tremendously in my life. Thank you again.

Offline princezz85

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 10:34:10 pm »
I know this is an HIV forum but maybe you have an answer for me:

Should I be worried about Hep C, I took a test 2 months after exposure and was negative.

What about Hep B? I had a vaccine back in 1993, I was 8yrs old. Am I ok for this?

I'm sorry if I've insulted or offended anyone with my posts, if nobody has an answer for me, that's ok.

Thank you again for your help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007, 05:39:00 am »
Prin,

No, you don't need to worry about hep C. As for hep B, you most likely still have antibodies against it - and immunity - from when you were vaccinated. The only way to find out is to be tested by your doctor.

I deleted the reply you made in someone else's thread. If you'd read the Welcome thread like you've been asked to, you would have read the following posting guideline:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Please don't let me find you in another thread again. Thanks.

I think the therapist is a great idea - you owe it to yourself. Good luck - and stick with it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 06:14:51 pm »
Ann,

I'm sorry, I thought I was helping out. I have fully read and understood the "welcome thread"

I looked back at my Hep B lab test, they didn't test for anti-bodies, they tested for Hep B surface antigens and I did it 8 weeks after my last exposure and it was negative, not sure if you are familiar in this area.

Thank you again for being wonderful.

-Princess

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 06:47:48 pm »
Prin,

Hep B testing is a little complicated. The test you had so far means you weren't infected, and you are most likely still covered by your vaccination. You'll have to see your doctor for further testing if you want to find out if your vaccination is still protecting you - and it should be.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HBV_9979.shtml - more information on hep B testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »
Thanks Ann  :)

Offline princezz85

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 06:44:44 pm »
Can common hand warts be a sign of a weakened immune system? I had them two years ago and have been wart free until last month. Can stress make them come back because I've been stressing a lot for the last 4 months.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 07:12:31 pm »
Prin,

Let's see how many ways I can put this:

You don't have hiv.

You are hiv negative.

You have tested conclusively hiv negative and that means you don't have hiv.

I could probably come up with a few more, but I'm tired.

Take your warts to your doctor - they have nothing to do with hiv - and while you're there, ask for a referral to a reputable therapist as you can't seem to let this go.

You ARE hiv negative!

You are also quickly heading for a time out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2007, 09:49:15 am »
Ann,

I went for my first therapy session yesterday and feel much better. It's the best thing I've done in a long time.

I have a quick question for you as my Dr. is on vacation all of next week. I've read many sources (even CDC site) that HCV is not primarily spread through sex but it is a possibility. Is it spread through semen or just blood? Also is this a theoretical risk or are there actual reported cases of this happening.

Thanks again.  :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2007, 09:54:05 am »
Prin,

The main sexual activity that has been shown to be a risk for hcv is fisting. If you have to ask what that is, then you haven't engaged in it and don't need to worry.

HCV is strictly blood-borne, so unless blood is drawn during the sex act, there's not a risk.

And please remember, this is a website that deals with hiv, not hcv. You're still under a time out warning. It's time you gave it up and moved on with your life - or seek counseling to enable you to do so. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline princezz85

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 06:39:06 pm »
Just an update,

I tested negative for HCV antibodies a week before the 5 months mark. I'm putting all my fears behind me. Thank you all for being such a great support system.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.