Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:14:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 207
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What do I need for my dorm room?  (Read 17209 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
What do I need for my dorm room?
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:21:52 pm »
Give me lists. I'm going to forget something. I bought a bunch of stuff already. Just. Uh. Halp. I only have a week and a half before I have to leave for college and I'm PANICKING.

Don't assume I'll have thought of anything, even if it's painfully obvious, I am extremely ditzy. lmao

Offline bear60

Re: What do I need for my dorm room?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:25:59 pm »
Sam
Good luck! This so exciting for you. Dont forget some art for the walls!

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:11 pm »
I don't know what your dorm situation is going to be like exactly, but I would still bet little flip-flop shoe dealies would be a MUST for traversing all-too-communal areas.

Some sort of throw rug to break up the monotony of the flooring / bad, cheap carpet.

Some type of window treatment for the windows.  Before anyone comments of how incredibly gay this all sounds, I hasten to remind people that utter darkness will be highly sought at times...more darkness than the typical dorm blinds provide.

Candles. 

Incense / Anti-nasty smell spray.

As noted, wall art.

Some type of small desk lamp to provide tolerable personal lighting (versus the all-or-nothing of the typical dorm flourescent lighting).

Sassy little comfy pajamas and cozy bathrobe...preferably also some warm slippers.

A shower caddy to hold all or most of your personal bathing stuff.

Toothbrush and soap boxes. 

Additional blankets, pillows and preferably a sleeping bag (sooner or later, you are BOUND to have some form of overnight crash-out company...OR you will find yourself travelling off-campus for some sort of adventures.  Trust me.)

A "husband" pillow.

At least 1 stuffed animal (in my opinion) usually makes for a good room mascot.  Just don't go over the top with it.

A very small fan for air circulation and "white noise" to drown out idiots who are interfering with your sleep.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:48:42 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:40:14 pm »
I'm not sure candles with "sassy" open flames would be encouraged in a dorm room.

"Husband" pillow?  wtf... I knew you were a needy queen but that's too much.

NO STUFFED ANIMALS

"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:48:13 pm »
I'm not sure candles with "sassy" open flames would be encouraged in a dorm room.

NO STUFFED ANIMALS

Screw you.  A tiny stuffed animal (or even better, a little puppet) makes an awesome room addition.  Just don't go over the top with it. 

I said sassy pajamas and bathrobe.  Little tea candles probably won't be encouraged, but anyone with a room worth visiting sneaks some in anyway.  Just be responsible with them.  AND if you ever find yourself in a power-out situation (and this happened several times during my dorm days), they will be a MUST and you'll be glad you have them.

And YES...a husband pillow.  And a bean bag, too - if you can find a good one.  It's all about having comfortable places to plop with a book and study (you won't wan to always be sitting in that same position at your desk) AND easy seating accomodations for friends that stop by. 

I stand by my recommendations.

Oh...and tons of hangers.  (No Wire Ones!)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:48:26 pm »

NO STUFFED ANIMALS

The wombats are coming with me, David. You're just going to have to cope. I don't go anywhere without my wbats.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:36 pm »

The wombats are coming with me, David. You're just going to have to cope. I don't go anywhere without my wbats.

Good boy.  You'll be glad you did.  I swear it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »
Ack!  DUH....a small trash can.

And a little personal fridge if you can afford one and don't already have one.  The little 2 or 3 foot high kind.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:55:41 pm »
Those pillows are just so aesthetically wrong.  Back up, you hillbilly.

And don't forget a stylish walnut overlap tray:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:57:28 pm by philly267 »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:01:46 pm »
It's a dorm room, not a condo.  The name of the game is: cheap and disposable....as pretty as you can make it, but still something that can be lost, burned, spilled upon, etc without it being a major loss.

Besides...with Mouse's sewing skills, he can upgrade any of this stuff into the realm of aesthetically pleasing.

BIG SNAPS for the walnut overlap tray, though.  And if that other pillow thingy is easily attainable / affordable, go for it. 

(Uppity queen)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 06:06:31 pm »

(Uppity queen)

...but nobody ever said life was fair, Tina. I'm bigger and I'm faster. I will always beat you. ...

Offline Cliff

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 06:07:46 pm »
Shower shoes (athlete's foot spreads like wild flowers in dorms)
Ear plugs/phones (dorms are noisy as hell, especially at night!)
Fan if you don't have a/c
Minifridge (keep some light food, snacks and drinks for when you can't be bothered to trek down to the eating halls)
Laundry bag (never leave your clothes unattended, students steal big time)
Iron/Ironing board (small version will do)
Plastic ware/plates/etc.
Surge protector, cause every socket will be used and abused
An area rug (the floor gets cold)
Desk lamp

Other pointers:
- Don't go overboard with the meal plans.  Me and friends had the 3 meals a day/7 day a week plan, and probably ate less than half our meals in the mess hall.
- Don't schedule 8am classes (trust me you will skip too many of them)
- Don't schedule classes after 3pm
- Try to keep your Friday's free (usually only available once you become an upperclassman)
- Buy used books (My first semester I just had to have new books until  I realised I could make my folks pay for new but only buy used and use the extra money for drinking)
- Don't get a credit card, unless the bill goes to your parent's address (too easy to get into debt, unless your parents can see your spending habits and keep it under control)
- Study at the library, not in your room (too easily distracted)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:12:43 pm »
- Buy used books (My first semester I just had to have new books until  I realised I could make my folks pay for new but only buy used and use the extra money for drinking)

AND used books often come pre-highlighted with the important test information.   ;)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 06:13:39 pm »
very true!  Along with a pre-scribed note that Dude, I must get laid this weekend.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 06:13:50 pm »
Ah, laundry bag -- REQUIRED.

You might want some kind of hamper for your dirty clothes too.

Why no classes after 3pm?  I existed on evening classes, and knowing Jaser's bad sleep habits which mirror mine I'm sure hell sign up for them.

And yes, it's totally about studying in the library and not your room.  Locate the arts section and hang out there, so you don't have to endure so many boring people.

Not sure what the bathroom situation is, but it's good to have some little thingie to carry your bath/beauty products back and forth.

Did anyone suggest a bong yet?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 06:17:24 pm »
Did anyone suggest a bong yet?

Ah, yes...bongs, blacklights, lava lamps and the requisite trippy, glowing Grateful Dead and Hendrix posters - all staples of the rooms I hung in back in the day.

Of course...what would the equivalent be for our Mouse?  Jonas Brothers?   :P

This thread is making me feel so....very....old.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 06:19:15 pm »
Methinks that a black velvet Jesus painting is a must.  Time for Jaser to move out of that cuddly animal childhood phase and into full-on camp.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 06:23:19 pm »
Oh, does the room have a full length mirror?  This is a must for any queen, along with a hand mirror so that you can see the back of your head.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 06:26:54 pm »
Oh, does the room have a full length mirror?  This is a must for any queen, along with a hand mirror so that you can see the back of your head.

I never trust mirrors, so I take Polaroids.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 06:35:51 pm »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 06:36:05 pm »
I never trust mirrors, so I take Polaroids.

I only do that for my shoe collection, to put on the front of the shoe box.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 07:39:28 pm »
When my daughter first went to Uni, she made two or three collages with photos of her mates. Indispensable.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 07:56:12 pm »
A little dorm boy that you can keep locked up in your room all day to clean and make your life more comfortable.   ;)

Oh, and a little st johns first aid kit with the basics - bandaids, bandages, tweezers, antiseptic cream etc.

Camera
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 08:46:31 pm »
http://www.designpublic.com/shop/fauna/7911

^ There is no excuse for me not owning this. :(

Okay. So. Now I have bed sheets, a duvet, a bean bag chair, pillows, pillowcases, towels, desklamp, full length mirror, body pillow (because I can't sleep without hugging something), a pop-up hamper, a drawer-cart, lightbulbs, candles, alarm clock, laptop, clothes, bathrobe, toiletries, mini fridge (yay for Freecycle!), microwave (thanks dad, lul), TV (so gonna suck to bring from my room at home), disposable utensils/bowls/plates.

I wanted to get a power strip, a mattress pad a rug (ugh, god, uncarpeted floors are going to suck) and a printer for my laptop but I sort of failed and ran out of money.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »
Can you have hot pots anymore?  I lived off ramen noodles from my room and only ate cereal at the cafeteria.
Snacks
Try to stock up on some OTC's-  cold medicine, allergy, advil/aleve, etc
Phone card
rolls of quarters for laundry
tape to put things on wall or some of that sticky stuff
book light
alarm clock
Sorry if I repeated anything someone else said.

I hope you have a great time!

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 10:15:06 pm »
foam earplugs (from drug store)

a working flashlight!  I never go anywhere overnight without one.  (but I'm old and might be more likely to get up and fall in the dark)  ;)

One of those little plastic caddy things with drawers in it from Wal-Mart or Tarjhay or K-Mart is great for underwear/socks, toiletries, even some snack stuff.  Those plastic hangers that fit over a door top to hang clothes on are great; don't know what I'd do without mine in this apt.

Wombats - definitely.   Some great advice given above by Cliff.....sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Hope you have a great first semester honey!

Love,
Alan  :-*

PS - all work and no play makes Jaser a dull boy.   remember that!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:20:06 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline fearless

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 11:24:57 pm »
http://www.designpublic.com/shop/fauna/7911

^ There is no excuse for me not owning this. :(

84 bucks for a kangaroo pillow!!! they're taking the piss, Mouse. you can get the real thing for $85 and solve your bare floor/lack of matting problem at the same time. http://www.aussiesheepandwool.com.au/prod202.htm
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 04:17:34 am »
extension cord and multi-socket thing (don't know proper name)
hairdryer
electric kettle if allowed or can be well hidden
hand towel/washtowel
alarm clock
fan - the noisier the better
clothes hangers
mosquito repelant (if nec)
net to wash socks/underwear in
clothes pegs & maybe laundry line?
some otc antifungal cream, paracetamol/ibuprofen, nose drops etc for non emergency self-treatment
a few movies, books and stuff you like
stuff for cleaning your room but I guess you can get it there
and most of the things already mentioned
~~~~
Bon voyage! Enjoy!!

"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 06:34:25 am »
It seems we've all forgotten one of the most important items you need to take with you - a sense of humour. Absolutely essential equipment for surviving in a dorm.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 02:49:33 pm »
It seems we've all forgotten one of the most important items you need to take with you - a sense of humour. Absolutely essential equipment for surviving in a dorm.

Great, I'm screwed. :|

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 03:07:01 pm »
You don't even have a roommate.  You have it SOOOOOO easy.

I went through 3 different roommates in 3 semesters, but then who in the world could last more than 6 months with me in tight quarters?  One guy was so obnoxious that my friends and I would leave the cafeteria as soon as we same him come in, and go back to the room and blow cigarette smoke under his bed sheets.

So why did we do such an evil thing?  Because he was a ROTC pig who would air out several pairs of sneakers at once in the windows and make the room reek of his nasty funky sweat.  Oh, and he also taped Penthouse and Playboy centerfolds on the ceiling above his bed -- can you imagine?  When my parents came to visit and I asked him politely to take them down, he replaced them with posters of army tanks.

The next semester he was replaced by a guy we nicknamed "Q Tip" because is hair was so blond it was white, and it was really curly like a ball.  He had a girlfriend at another college, but when I came back from Thanksgiving break he was really drunk and tried to come on to me sexually.  I was mortified.  He then decided he was gay for the 2 weeks, attempted to dine in the cafeteria with me and my entourage and then gave up.  I wonder how that one turned out as I transferred to VCU for the next semester.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:09:03 pm by philly267 »

Offline dixieman

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 03:13:19 pm »
I know your excited starting college... 1980 seems like yesterday for me... Wow! how time flies...

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 04:36:23 pm »
I graduated from college 30 years ago yesterday.   Lord, where has 30 years gone?   Time flies....

Hope your college days are fabulous, honey.   Enjoy it all.

Love,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bear60

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 12:32:16 pm »
"I graduated from college 30 years ago yesterday.   Lord, where has 30 years gone?   Time flies...." quote Alan

It does bring back some really good and some bitter sweet memories as well,  doesnt it Alan.
My Dad drove me to Ohio (from North Carolina)...and dropped me off at college.  I remember when he drove off I thought I was going to die.  I felt as though I had been abandoned. But after a while I was like a pig in shit. Having a great time.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 12:50:14 pm »
Congrats little one...ah..on your way to becoming a grown man  :D

don't forget your flip flops...you don't want to step on that nasty shower/bathroom floor bare feet
have your CD's, i-tunes, DVD ,TV, DVD player?
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.