Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:05:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 198
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scared  (Read 12422 times)

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
Scared
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:59:01 pm »
This past couple of days have been full of different emotions.

My brother (15) has had his lympnodes swelling like crazy all over his head and neck. I'm hoping that it's not HIV. There was a time before I knew I was positive that he and I shared a razor. While I always washed the razor off with hot water, I'm still worried. Part of me thinks this worry is unfounded because he didn't have any acute infection symptoms, and part of me is trying not to think of what I complete shit I would be if he is HIV+. Yet another part is worried that it may be Cancer.

My brother and I have always been extremely close. There are 7 years between us, but we're the best of friends. It would KILL me to find out that he's HIV+, and the double whammy would be that it was because of me. He's a virgin, and he's not a drug user, so there's only one possible source: Me.

My family is scared out of our wits, and we're probably going to tell him tonight about my status. I just hope he doesn't stay mad at me forever, and I pray that he doesn't have it. He's only 15...

*goes to smoke himself into oblivion for awhile & trying not to cry*
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline Teresa

Re: Scared
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 03:14:08 pm »
Has he been to the dr yet?? Could be alot of reasons why he has swollen lymphnodes besides cancer and HIV.

We had an outbreak of mumps here not long ago.

I would take him to the dr and have him checked out before i panicked.

Try to stay calm.

Hugs
Teresa

Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 03:15:15 pm »
Get him tested and find out.  I never understood all my life(even way befor I was poz) why anyone shares personl hygene stuff.  It was a no-no from my childhood and there was no HIV then.  If you rinsed it good with serious hot water(even out of the tap, mine will scaled ur hands), he's most likely okay; probably something else...but need to find out.  This crap is hard to spread, I don't care how much fear 'they' try to put into you; it's like hep c, etc; blood contact and heat will kill it(hot water).
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline Rob - Dublin

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 03:24:18 pm »
Hey Molten,

A doc's visit is a necessity as there are so many other possibilities that could be the cause of his trouble. Mumps and a variation of Glandular Fever are very common also and could have the symptoms u describe.

i'm not a doc BUT if I was i'd fly over to u to put ur mind at rest ;)

Rob
14 Dec 2005 Tested Neg
21 Jan 2006 Infected
09 May 2006 Tested Poz
29 May 2006 CD4 551  (33%) VL 21,000
10 July 2006 CD4 632  (34%) VL 24,500

......when i'm good, i'm very good - when i'm bad i'm even better......

Dream as if you will live forever - Live as if you will die today.....

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:28:49 pm »
He went to the doctor today, and they drew blood to test for HIV, Mono, and Cancer. They also gave him some antibiotics in case it's bacterial.

I'll keep you all posted.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 03:40:11 pm »

Has there ever even been a documented case of transmission via shared razor? I imagine he has a better chance of getting struck by lightning.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:41:50 pm »
Molten, you poor boy.  As others have already said it could be many other things.  The first thing to pop into my mind at his age would be Mono.  I'll keep you both in my thoughts.  Sure hope the doctor comes back with good news so your brother can get better and so you can get back to taking care of yourself!

Hugs
Jeff

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:15:56 pm »
There are two cases where it is thought that shared razors transmitted HIV. However, none of the serodiscordant studies have brought this vector to the table, and you KNOW what I think about patient report.

Methinks that at least in the 1992 case, the siblings were sharing more than razor blades. I'm just saying.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 06:11:04 pm »

Yes, Justin I'm aware of what you think about patient report. Anyway, so we're looking at like 1 in 35 million actual cases. I'm not a statistics person. Since that's actual cases I'm sure the odds are even more remote than that.

The national weather service says the odds of getting struck by lightning in the next year are 1 in 700,000. Indeed much more likely.

Molten, you've been infected a few months now, right? If this happened before your diagnosis isn't the incubation period quite a bit off for primary infection?

Hang in there molten I'm sure your brother is fine. I'm keeping you and your bro in my thoughts.

brian

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 06:49:25 pm »
More to the point that unless you directly cut yourself and they immediately used the razor and then cut themself, there is no way they could have got HIV from you. HIV inactivates when it dries and hot water also does this. I just don't see what you did to put them at risk. As the wise JK says.....the only reports we have of this are unreliable. In the history of HIV it doesn't happen. I predict it won't be HIV - and for the record it's unlikely to be cancer.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 06:55:59 pm »
Thats a mononucleosis or the "kiss disease" veru common in teenagers when they start "kissing" others. The 95% of the population has it. It will last three months or so. I had it when I was 18 but forgot about it until I tested positive a few months ago for epstein bar=mononucleosis antibodies.
Nothing to worry about.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 07:25:34 pm »
I sounds to me like puberty.  When I was that age my glands were doing all sorts of funny stuff, lumps from nowhere appeared, my voice going from one octive to another then falling back down again, spurts of growth, funny feelings all over, strange attractions towards other guys.  Not exactly the best of times.

robt

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 07:36:18 pm »
I asked my ID Doc about that awhile back..  He repied "never heard of that one making the journals of late or earily for that matter."

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 08:51:11 pm »
Molten,

Try not to freak out and stay as calm as possible. There are other reasons he could have swolen lymphnodes.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 11:30:45 pm »
Given his age, I'd put my money on the Epstein-Barr virus over HIV.  Of course, it could also be a sinus infection or bad cold coming on.  Lots of things make the lymph nodes swell.

-edited to correct my poor spelling

Offline Falkore

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 01:54:46 am »
Just know that your friends are here for you.
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 02:06:00 am »
God forgive me but Jonathan I was thinking the same thing.  I don't think anyone could get HIV off of sharing a razor.  I hope we're wrong.  I pray he doesn't have HIV.  Molten....hang in there good buddy. 
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 02:49:09 am »
Hang in there Molten, you and your family are in my thoughts...lets hope that its just an infection of sorts and not HIV.
Poz since 2003.

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 01:19:48 pm »
Thank you all.

Nice to see you, Falkore. Introduce yourself for those that don't know you. ;)

The fear has pretty much disappeared.

Also, I also told my brother about my HIV status last night. I will never forget the look on his face as he started crying heavily and hugged me while he did. His tears subsided, and he asked me a bunch of questions. Overall, it went well. Now, everybody who needs to know, knows. :) Life is good.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 01:37:11 pm »
Sounds like that went well :) :

Offline water duck

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 02:27:17 pm »
MoltenStorm,

So glad for u that things went like u wanted, so now your dear brother is informed.
Now how about sat back , relax & let things just go by , without worrying about them.
Now let me share something with u, next time, u start worrying, just tell yourself that your worrying is not going to change anything except make u SICK  ::) ::) ::)

Best Regards

Siang

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 05:49:20 pm »
Hey Molten,

the story of how your brother reacted brought tears in my eyes, he's a sweet guy!

Hug

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 12:26:24 pm »
Good News!

My brother got his results back today. He tested HIV negative and negative for Mono. His lymph nodes have been going down over the past couple of days which leads to the belief that it was bacterial since he's been on antibiotics. They still don't know exactly what it is.

*turns on the record player*

Celebrate Good Times, Come On!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 12:32:46 pm »
Thats WONDERFUL news!!!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 05:38:12 pm »
that's great ... so happy for you, your brother, your family  8)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 05:43:59 pm »
That's good news Molten for you and your family.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 08:50:41 pm »

Congratulations on both counts!!! :)

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 10:38:39 pm »
Great news!  I had no doubt it would be otherwise.   :)
Member since March 2004

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 01:37:59 am »
What Graet News! I am so happy for you and your brother! Yahoo...Congrats to you both!
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.