Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:46:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 513
Total: 513

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDSmeds/POZ collaboration with Kaiser & CSI: NY  (Read 21608 times)

Offline manchesteruk

Re: AIDSmeds/POZ collaboration with Kaiser & CSI: NY
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
I think this in theory is a really excellent idea and could do a lot to reduce the stigma associated with HIV.  But seriously they could have come up with a better storyline than that!!!!  I think we all know that this character won't end up with HIV which I think is another opportunity missed.  Why not show the realities of someone coming to terms with living with this virus rather than a little scare.  I don't see how that is going to reduce stigma?

Chris

PS If the storyline does end with her being diagnosed HIV+ god help all the volunteers in the Am I Infected forum!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2007, 02:44:44 pm »
PS If the storyline does end with her being diagnosed HIV+ god help all the volunteers in the Am I Infected forum!

I dunno, Chris, but my guess is the numbers will increase in Am I no matter what the outcome on the show.  As it is many viewers of the show will become worried about blood-borne infections and there are plenty of those already in Am I -- can I get HIV from a toothbrush?  we were kissing and I had a sore in my mouth so am I infected?  a coworker cut himself and 1 drop of blood got on me -- how soon will I die from AIDS?

The mods and other saints who moderate Am I may need to be put on rotating shifts!!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2007, 03:09:09 pm »
Boo, we'll jus double up on the nerve pills and cut and paste the answers.  ;)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2007, 03:12:41 pm »
Boo, we'll jus double up on the nerve pills and cut and paste the answers.  ;)

You have pills?  Fuckin bullshit. Ann and Andy didnt include those in my AM I INFECTED welcome kit.  All i got were a bunch of weblinks and a loaded pistol if things got too tough!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2007, 03:13:25 pm »
Didn't watch and doubt I will...kinda don't like being lead by advertising. Anywho, I thought the target audience for CBS was octogenarians. Surprised they didn't have Angela Landsbury, Dick Van Dyke or Charles Nelson Reilly come down with the bug...now that's entertainment.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 03:15:22 pm by Dachshund »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2007, 03:20:37 pm »
AC, Ann didn't give me a gun. She knew I could afford buying monitors all the time.  :D

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 03:34:20 pm »
Anywho, I thought the target audience for CBS was octogenarians. Surprised they didn't have Angela Landsbury, Dick Van Dyke or Charles Nelson Reilly come down with the bug...now that's entertainment.

Help, I've fallen on a piece of AIDS glass and I can't get up.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2007, 04:08:03 pm »
You have pills?  Fuckin bullshit. Ann and Andy didnt include those in my AM I INFECTED welcome kit.  All i got were a bunch of weblinks and a loaded pistol if things got too tough!

AC, that was the barrel pointing at you, not the grip. ;D

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 04:37:35 pm »
AC, that was the barrel pointing at you, not the grip. ;D

Ooooooooooooooooooooh!  That splains it all!  You were trying to deter me for my own good.
RIDE!!!

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 08:04:21 pm »
You can watch the full episode, titled "Heart of Glass," here:
http://www.cbs.com/innertube/player.php?cat=115222&vid=&format=&auto=1

Thanks Peter,

It seems to me that before jumping to conclusions everyone should at least take the time to watch the episode before making critical judgements of the overall intention.

I finally did late last nite and ended up posting my various ramblings under the CSI group.   I've tried to contain my sarcasm as best I can in there because I know a lot of people are just misinformed and many honestly would like to learn.   

This is a great opportunity to set aside your fears and worries and participate in something completely new.   I may not agree with how the incident was portrayed, but this interactive sub site is a chance to reach out to others and help educate the general public.   One particular post in the CSI Forumn which was rather eloquent came from a negative individual that went out of her way to share her thoughts.  I was impressed with how detailed and the time she spend drafting up her response to the episode. 

Why not at least try to open your minds and seize this opportunity to help educate.    Many of you complain of the Stigma of HIV & AIDS.  Well, here is a chance to participate in something that might just help to do that.   Even if the show doesn't the personal interaction will have the most impact.

Here is the link once again:

http://www.cbs.com/innertube/player.php?cat=115222&vid=&format=&auto=1
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2007, 08:05:55 am »
~bump~

For those who have been absent for a few days.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2007, 11:15:53 am »
Good deal!  Thats 4600 more opportunities to spread the knowledge not the virus!  (WHICH IS AN EXCELLENT SLOGAN, Someone write that shit down.  Damnit im good!)

It *is* ultra excellent, thanks! And guess what, it's on AIDSMEDS permanently because you wrote it over 48 hours ago!  ;D

Those who wanna see a poz heroine on television can check out "General Hospital", ABC, weekdays at 3pm. The character is Robin Scorpio who contracted HIV via unprotected sex with her then-bf who did not get himself regularly tested (he had just one test result come back HIV negative)

bump!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:12:46 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2007, 11:26:54 am »
Ummm, I don't know if you know this.  Buuuut, Im a pretty big deal around here!
RIDE!!!

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2007, 11:36:49 am »
I'm glad to see that some of the negative people have started speaking out in the CSI forum and contributing!   There are some interesting new posts.   For those interested check em out!

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.