Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:24:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 590
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 566
Total: 567

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Global Warming? I Wish!!  (Read 4143 times)

Seadickrun

Global Warming? I Wish!!
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:58:57 am »
The Puget Sound got hit with a snow storm.  I've lived here 21 years and have seen snow maybe 10 times (unless up in the mountains) but this storm was wicked.  Here in Seattle we only got 3-6 inches which sounds weak by midwest standards but take a look at the attached picture of the hill I live on.  All of the roads are icing over and the city has closed several streets because they are too steep even with chains/studded tires.  North of Seattle, one poor town got 23" of snow. 

People seemed to get to work okay but as the day progressed, things got worse and Metro couldn't get the buses up the hills and started warning people that they might not be able to get home from work.  The evening news was full of interviews of workers downtown who had waited over an hour for a bus only to see their bus go right past them without even stopping, already full of passengers. 

I live on the top of this hill.  There aren't too many cars moving right now but the liquor store was hopping and people were sledding down the streets.  I'll bet the bars were full tonight.  We're supposed to get more snow this weekend.  Thank god I grew up in the midwest and used to think that snow was fun and boy am I glad that I live within walking distance of everything that I need.  I had to go get a blood draw today and thankfully, I walk there.  It was sad/comical watching all of the fools trying to drive in this stuff and sliding backwards down the hills.  Even the towtrucks are getting stuck. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Global Warming? I Wish!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:38:03 am »
Yes, here in northercentral Hoosierville, we're getting a nasty winter storm right now.  About 5 "new" inches of snow with about a 2 inch coating of ice.  And it's not getting over until some time in the afternoon.  I don't understand where all this stuff is coming from. 

I heard about the snow in Washington when I talked to my daughter there a couple nights ago.  She lives in Lacey and was saying "it's just like home, ma." 

Yeah, I thought the polar ice caps were melting.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:55:45 pm »
Hmmmm

Just a lovely day here in West central Florida. About 75 degrees ( according to my thermometer) and sunny. I just opened the windows to get some fresk air in. Sorry, don't mean to rub it in !   ;)   8) I remember those winters in Western New York very well !!

Puget sound looks pretty nice !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:37:26 pm »
Seattle snow seems to go in cycles -- I remember some great White Christmases back in the mid-60's when we moved there.  My mother was saying it reminded her of back then the other day when we talked on the phone.

Seemed like we got a foot or two (but then I was a lot shorter in the 60's   :))

And there was a Thanksgiving ice storm every year or so for a while too. ... 

Hope you have a merry white Christmas.  And perhaps a cold clear day when you can see Rainier to the south, the Olympics across the Sound, Baker in the North and the Cascades...

(Time for another trip back home soon...)
A

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:45:27 pm »
I thought Mexico was moving to Nebraska and Anchorage would be featuring the latest styles in swim wear and all of a sudden, we had snow warnings in Guerneville.  I do not believe in the history of the world, it has ever snowed in Guerneville  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Seadickrun

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 05:05:02 am »
Hope you have a merry white Christmas. 

That's the last thing I want:)

Seadickrun

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 05:53:00 am »
So.....it started snowing again today.  Makes the other snow storm look amateurish.  We're supposed to get another 3-9" here in Seattle and the outlying areas are expecting 1-2' of snow.  The snow started this afternoon, is supposed to continue until sometime tomorrow night, and then we are supposed to get about three days of freezing rain/snow on top of all of this. 

I took a walk tonight at around 10 p.m. to see how things looked.  There were not too many cars on the road and surprisingly, not too many people walking around.  I walked past Dick's burger joint where there should have been three lines to the curb but there were only two guys getting burgers. 

Nine firemen were shoveling the snow in front of the station (woof!!) to keep it clear enough to get out if things go wrong and the police cars were all parked out on the street with chains on instead of in the garage. 

In addition to the snow, we are getting wind.  One poor little town (Enumclaw) had a 97 mph gust and Snoqualimie Pass was closed due to the 75 mph winds.  Two areas have blizzard warnings.

Come morning, the southern Sound area is due to get freezing rain along with 50 mph winds and they anticipate the combination to start bringing down power lines so crews have been called in from Oregon and California to deal with power outages.  Places like Home Depot, REI, and gas stations had a run on generators, gas, stoves, shovels, etc. 

We've also been getting record lows and when this all eventually melts, there will undoubtedly be flooding. 

If I lived in Minnesota, Michigan, Buffalo, or Montana, I wouldn't be surprised by this weather.  But we don't even get that many frosts a year so it really sucks.  Fortunately, I have lots of winter gear from playing up in the mountains and a childhood growing up in the midwest to help me get through this crap.  But sitting in the house all day with my roommate who has been on vacation for 10 days is taking its toll. 

The ads on Craigslist have been interesting tonight - lots of requests for tops with 4x4's.

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get up and post them for all of you who won't have a white Christmas this year.  You can share mine:)

Seadickrun

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 09:12:42 pm »
Still snowing - even harder.  I'm getting really tired of seeing that perky Rebecca Stevenson on the weather every 15 minutes telling me no end in sight.  She needs to wipe the smile off of her face.

Its supposed to continue snowing through tomorrow morning with another 3-6" tonight.  I keep getting confused - are we talking another 3-6" or is this still the last 3-6" she was talking about?

You know its bad when your roommate (from Minnesota) opens the front door and goes WHOA!!!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 10:44:15 pm »
You know its bad when your roommate (from Minnesota) opens the front door and goes WHOA!!!

To the Sea, To the Sea, to the Sea... Brrr to cold, To the Bar, to the Bar, to the Bar  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Seadickrun

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:10 am »
To the Sea, To the Sea, to the Sea... Brrr to cold, To the Bar, to the Bar, to the Bar  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

If only I drank:))  I did get royally laid today so I'm done bitching (for the night).  Tomorrow is another day, though.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:13:15 pm »
SDR

You ain't just whistling Dixy.  I lived in Seattle for over 20 years.  So I know how treacherous the city of "Seven Hills" can get when it snows!   ::)

You have my sympathies buddy.

But it isn't just Seattle.  The entire NW is getting hit pretty bad.  We've been seeing snow for the last 4 days down here, and it's still snowing!   >:(  (I wouldn't normally complain about 12", but this is ridiculous!)

Stay warm guy!

RAB

(Who is currently w/o power and hopes the battery will last long enough to post.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 05:15:16 pm »
Seadickrun, you keep the snow. It got down to one over night with 36mph winds -17 wind chill and this county doesn't have the money to purchase salt if we do have a snow storm. Wednesday it's going to be in the 50's for Christmas Eve...go figure.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 07:24:06 pm »
I live in Whine Country and I wanna go to Miami.  I want to put the top down, I want to get a Suntan   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Seadickrun

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:00:44 am »
SDR

But it isn't just Seattle.  The entire NW is getting hit pretty bad.  We've been seeing snow for the last 4 days down here, and it's still snowing!   >:(  (I wouldn't normally complain about 12", but this is ridiculous!)

(Who is currently w/o power and hopes the battery will last long enough to post.)

Actually, from what I've seen on the news, Seattle is the best place to weather out this storm in the Northwest.  My roommate had to walk to work today (and back) because there is no bus service to our area. First, he walked downtown where he thought he might find a bus to take him the rest of the way but since he only had another mile to go, he decided it would be quicker to walk than chance a bus coming.  We're supposed to get some more snow tomorrow followed by freezing rain for Christmas.  I can't wait. 

The news tonight was showing all the stranded people at Seatac and that Greyhound sent their customers to a homeless shelter.  How classy of Greyhound. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.