Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:33:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 189
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Will President Obama be Good for Gays?

Yes, I will take anything after Bush
1 (14.3%)
At least he's not Sarah Palin
1 (14.3%)
Don't blame me, I voted for Hillary
0 (0%)
No better than Bill Clinton
4 (57.1%)
I am already under the Bus!
0 (0%)
I have faith that he will Save America and Cure AIDS
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Barack Obama stays the Bush course on Faith-based Social Services  (Read 9832 times)

Offline AudacityofPope

Excerpt of New York Times: Obama Expands role of Faith-based Charities

The appearance by Mr. Obama came a few hours before he was set to sign an executive order in the Oval Office to create the newly-revamped faith-based office created in the Bush administration. The executive order will call for a legal review of the office, aides said, before the president decides whether religious groups receiving federal money for social services can hire only those who share their faith.

The Bush administration said yes. During his presidential campaign, Mr. Obama said no.

“If you get a federal grant, you can’t use that grant money to proselytize to the people you help and you can’t discriminate against them – or against the people you hire – on the basis of their religion,” Mr. Obama said last July in an Ohio speech.

“Federal dollars that go directly to churches, temples and mosques can only be used on secular programs.”

Mr. Obama has signaled his intention to expand upon – and, in some cases, adjust – the faith-based practices from the Bush administration. The office will not only oversee the distribution of grants to religious and community groups, but will also look for other ways to involve those groups in working on pressing social problems.

Mr. Obama will name Joshua DuBois, a 26-year-old Pentecostal pastor and political strategist, to lead the new White House faith office. Mr. DuBois, who has worked for Mr. Obama since his time in the Senate, led the religious outreach during the presidential campaign.

End of Excerpt

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:06:46 pm by AudacityofPope »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: Barack Obama stays the Bush course on Faith-based Social Services
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:41:46 pm »
Audacity -- that's a strange first post.  Why don't you introduce yourself here first.

Also, the file name of the picture you attached is very objectionable, and if you don't explain it soon, it could get you banned from here for posting racist content.

Peter Staley

Offline AudacityofPope

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:03:30 pm »
Ok, the reason that I posted this is the misuse of religious groups' funds designated for HIV/AIDS Services (ASOs). With Rick Warren cutting up condoms to Gays being forced to pray at New York area AIDS Service Orgs to being denied medication by religious pharmacists already signed by Bush in the pipeline, Obama has chosen to court the demographic hostile to Democrat values. Are Gays being pushed out of the Democratic Party (except for those who hang on empty rhetoric) If the Church had it's say, denying HIV/AIDS medications to Gay Men or Single Moms would be implemented. If in doubt, read their fear and blame propaganda in their pamphlets and on websites.

I have already been denied Winter Clothing by the religious-based NYCares program, the Bowery Mission and the Catholic Church. Housing Works, Gay Men's Health Crisis and Momentum Project covet the Xtian market with their forced Praying (and their love of poz women who blame gays) as gay men are marginalized and pushed out of services in New York and under a crosstown bus. The HIV numbers don't lie (Yep, still Gay) and expect the HIV virus' New Infections rate to sky-rocket as we same-gender loving men are more stigmatized, pushed further underground into the down-lo scene as well as being increasingly targeted within our own communities and with no police help or Gay Leaders paying attention, whatsoever. This is the stuff of Stonewall riots and President Obama could turn out to be Sarah Palin!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:49 pm »
You still didn't answer why your original picture file name was "Blamewhitey.jpg"
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:50:14 pm »
Yes, I need an explanation for your "Blamewhitey.jpg" attachment.  We don't allow racists in these forums.  Your first post is an anti-Obama rant with a "Blamewhitey.jpg" picture attached.

Am I missing something here?

Offline AudacityofPope

Re: Barack Obama stays the Bush course...
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:09:12 pm »
It was changed and thanks to Phil and Peter for pointing that out. My uploading program never caught it as that is the name someone else had proclaimed during that contentious Democratic primary season with Reverend Wright, Pastor Warren and other divisive figures. I changed it immediately when informed in a matter of minutes. Of course, we all find any racism as well as homophobia as abhorrent. I would be interested in people's opinions on the content of my post as my life could well be in jeopardy at the hands of faith-based thuggery as is evidenced by many in the gay and trans communities but lacking cohesive documentation by the timid gay press.  ???

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:19:05 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, Audacity.  All I needed to hear was that it wasn't intentional, which you've now explained.

And again, welcome to our forums.

Sincerely,

Peter

Offline AudacityofPope

Re: Barack Obama..........Bush
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »
Thanks Peter, I respect all the work you do for Crystal-Meth addiction in the Queer Community. Unfortunately, it is worse than ever if you've gone clubbing/bar-hopping lately or been to websites like Manhunt and Adam4Adam. Even blog editors are blase about this drug, boasting about "T" and going "Skiing" Expect an explosion of HIV infection with no Social Support services Safe for Gay Men.

Audacious  ;D

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:44:29 pm »
Wow man.. you have a lot of angry for the Church.  I know Rick Warren personally and he would never force someone to pray.  I am sorry you have been hurt by the opinon of a few. for faith base has been a corner stone of our country for years and it is changing slowing .. look at all the progress in other parts of Faith base communities in the acceptance of Gay People becoming bishops.  The real world allows many to express their faith and it is ok to disagree, but your angry dosn't seem healthie.  I am also sad that a lot of folks  that express their hatre for other faith have no tolorance and a lot of them have been educated by the best Chatholic School and Faith Groups in America.
I wish at times my education was as giving and good as others that attended Chatholic schools, for if you look at our countries the school systems, hospital, and communities are build on loving caring people of faith and many happy gay people and I believe it is ashame that many think Faith is about a leader that has driffent political few of others.

Gay people prayer and it is ok for Gay folks to prayer and embrace there Faith and no one forces any one to pray in  this country.  I hope many are free from having to put their Faith in one leaders opinion and we all find tolorants in fogivness and a spirit of love, not a religion of discourse.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 01:18:23 pm »
As far as the Catholic church goes, why should I tolerate intolerance?

(much less support, as PWA, a quasi-religious/political figure like the Pope who advocates foregoing condoms?)

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
Miss,

Because we are all human and many or 60 percent of the Chathlic Church I believe are torrent to Gay folks and to lump them all in one boat is like lumping all Gay folks in one boat for it is not torrent for anyone it is just life.  I know lots of Gay Chatholics and Gay supporting Chatholics , and I know lots of loving GAY people and lots of resentful, angry Gay people.. and try to be torrent to all of them.

Peace,

Frederick

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 02:11:52 pm »
Well, yeah -- I'm capable of separating individuals from the church, which is why I said "Catholic church" in my post.  You can read, can't you?

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »
Miss,

Concernig the Pope that is his conviction about condom, and I don't agree with it, but love him and torrent of him in my human walk.  My Grandmother was not to cool with condoms or having sex out of wed lock but love her just the same.. it is an old school thinking. For that is what means disareeing but still accepting for it works both ways in my book.

Peace

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 02:27:19 pm »
I don't think comparing the Pope, who has global influence, effects policy positions in majority Catholic countries and is a sovereign head of state, with your Grandmother is a very good equivalence.  In fact, it's pretty miserable.

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:40:38 pm »
Missy,

They both our old and human...it is a torrence thing.. well on one said of the coin some people are happy that they got borned and a condom stop that process.  And on the other side of the coin the USA Government gave Chatolic Chariities 500 million dollars out of the first PEDFAR funding to distrubute ARV therpy to Africans because they had a huge nextwork of missionaries in Africa and millions of Africans got ARV's under the leadership of the POPE and are alive to day.  It is like human just are not perfect and humans can not make every on happy .. hummm.. fascinating.. lets have a garden party and rejoice in the good points of our Humaness and Missy you can buy a new dress and we can dance all night long.  I bring the condoms...

Love you.... just the way your are...

Frederick
I sure you would like

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.