Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:05:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 202
Total: 205

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: South Carolina House votes to cut all HIV/AIDS funding  (Read 55433 times)

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
Re: South Carolina House votes to cut all HIV/AIDS funding
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 01:25:03 pm »
Guys, where did you get the rosy view of the US in first instance?  I've certainly never seen any evidence for optimism about the place.

Actually, you are right. People have such a bright & shiny ideological image of what this country is supposed to represent, but they ignore all of the greed, bigotry & cruelty that have made it what it is. Hell, most people don't even know that there were concentration-camps in this country for it's Japanese citizens.
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 01:51:00 pm »
Hell, most people don't even know that there were concentration-camps in this country for it's Japanese citizens.

Sad, but we didn't have a choice at the time.  Hell we wanted peace with Japan, they were the one's slaughtering women and children over in China during their quest for expanded imperialism while the world ignored it.  Then they had the audacity to send us an invitation to the war. 

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 02:29:04 pm »
Sad, but we didn't have a choice at the time.  Hell we wanted peace with Japan, they were the one's slaughtering women and children over in China during their quest for expanded imperialism while the world ignored it.  Then they had the audacity to send us an invitation to the war. 

The ones imprisoned in the camps WERE U.S. CITIZENS. How was this their fault at all?
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »
He didn't say they weren't.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »
He didn't say they weren't.

Punishing innocent people (with torture and murder) to "get even" for something done 1/2 way around the world is, well... just morally and ethically WRONG.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2010, 02:39:38 pm »
The ones imprisoned in the camps WERE U.S. CITIZENS. How was this their fault at all?

Like I said, what choice did we have?  Espionage was running rampant at the time, then add in the whole their not blue eyed thinking that dominated thoughts.  I'm just glad we didn't do something far worse to further tarnish our roads of gold we have here.

Every country was built on the backs of the poor and oppressed... including Lord's (I'm assuming) merry England.

Our country is great, it's our government that's fucked up...  as a good Georgian you shouldn't confuse the two son!  ;)

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2010, 02:44:18 pm »
Our country is great, it's our government that's fucked up...  as a good Georgian you shouldn't confuse the two son!  ;)

OK, I'll agree with you there - I love the forests, mountains and streams of this land. I love the nature attached to this land. However, everything the humans have done to it seems to be a direct product of their own greed, bigotry, self-interest & cruelty.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2010, 04:15:53 pm »
Guys, where did you get the rosy view of the US in first instance?  I've certainly never seen any evidence for optimism about the place.

Have you EVER posted anything positive, or at least neutral, about the US?   ::)  Isn't the fact that we elected a president that appears to be African-American "evidence for optimism"?  It sure sounds like you've had some really bad experiences here.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:17:58 pm by David_NC »
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29:13 pm »
OK, I'll agree with you there - I love the forests, mountains and streams of this land. I love the nature attached to this land. However, everything the humans have done to it seems to be a direct product of their own greed, bigotry, self-interest & cruelty.

I can agree that many things done in America, over our history, have been shameful and I like to think that as a nation, we became just a little wiser, because of them.  The greed and cruelty that you speak of, has existed for thousands of years and no one country is above their reach. So I agree that a lot of bad things happen in America, but you seem to refuse to see the beauty that surrounds you. I believe that most people are of decent character and if given the chance, they will do the right thing. Sure, some of them don't, but what about all those millions that do?

I always spent my holidays in soup kitchens, serving anyone who needed a meal. To see the utter horror of how they lived and having that juxtaposed against this holiday feast we were serving, made me feel, that somehow we really are not that different. I refuse to be cynic and if you want to see horror, hiding behind the next tree, then fine, but please do not paint America as one color. Through the decades I have witnessed countless acts of selflessness by Americans, both at home and abroad. Yes we make mistakes, we are only human and if you can't make an adjustment for that reality, then you will never see any of the real America. It's there, in each of us, if only you cared to look for it.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2010, 05:50:37 pm »
I can agree that many things done in America, over our history, have been shameful and I like to think that as a nation, we became just a little wiser, because of them.  The greed and cruelty that you speak of, has existed for thousands of years and no one country is above their reach. So I agree that a lot of bad things happen in America, but you seem to refuse to see the beauty that surrounds you. I believe that most people are of decent character and if given the chance, they will do the right thing. Sure, some of them don't, but what about all those millions that do?

I always spent my holidays in soup kitchens, serving anyone who needed a meal. To see the utter horror of how they lived and having that juxtaposed against this holiday feast we were serving, made me feel, that somehow we really are not that different. I refuse to be cynic and if you want to see horror, hiding behind the next tree, then fine, but please do not paint America as one color. Through the decades I have witnessed countless acts of selflessness by Americans, both at home and abroad. Yes we make mistakes, we are only human and if you can't make an adjustment for that reality, then you will never see any of the real America. It's there, in each of us, if only you cared to look for it.

There is beauty AND horror in all of humanity...Yeah, I'll agree with that. But, by and large, since we're both human-beings, this self-analysis is tantamount to little more than mental-masturbation, if not outright self-compliment/insult.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2010, 05:53:41 pm »
But, by and large, since we're both human-beings, this self-analysis is tantamount to little more than mental-masturbation, if not outright self-compliment/insult.

How so? Enquiring minds would like to know.

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2010, 06:01:07 pm »
 Isn't the fact that we elected a president that appears to be African-American "evidence for optimism"?

OK, I don't see how that matters one way or the other... Besides, the position of president is merely a figurehead position.. A distraction for the people and a scapegoat for their problems, if you will. While I hated Bush as much as the next Demopublican/Republicrat, it was the ones in his administration and those in Congress & the Senate who were causing the REAL problems. Obama knew going into office that he wasn't going to get to cause any REAL change, but the appearance of it was necessary so that the citizens wouldn't get so irate they started a revolution.

Either sock-puppet A or sock-puppet B, you decide... and pretend while you're at it that your vote counts (many forget that we have a wonderful electoral-college system which gives "representatives" the right to bypass your vote). Election-results can be, and are, rigged.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2010, 06:02:55 pm »
How so? Enquiring minds would like to know.

MtD

Well, since all of us here are human-beings then going on about the beauty/ugliness of the human-race isn't exactly objective, now is it?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2010, 06:05:46 pm »
There is beauty AND horror in all of humanity...Yeah, I'll agree with that. But, by and large, since we're both human-beings, this self-analysis is tantamount to little more than mental-masturbation, if not outright self-compliment/insult.

Wow, just wow. You are possibly the most negative person I have ever met. It seems that no matter what anyone says, you only see in one color; black. How sad for you. I don't need convincing that America is a great country, nor do I care what you think about it, because nothing can be said to help you see any color, other than black.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2010, 06:08:24 pm »
I like pie.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »
Wow, just wow. You are possibly the most negative person I have ever met. It seems that no matter what anyone says, you only see in one color; black.

Not true. I see all colors in the spectrum - but I just don't wear rose-tinted glasses to do so!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »
Well, since all of us here are human-beings then going on about the beauty/ugliness of the human-race isn't exactly objective, now is it?

This doesn't make any sense. Do you think before you post these snappy bon mots?

MtD

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2010, 06:12:30 pm »
Have you EVER posted anything positive, or at least neutral, about the US?   ::)  Isn't the fact that we elected a president that appears to be African-American "evidence for optimism"?  It sure sounds like you've had some really bad experiences here.

Hey LordBerners.........is that why you choose NOT to live or work in the US, but yet YOU want all of the benefits that you cannot get elsewhere........God Bless America, I was born here, and I happen to like it here very much, I'm sorry you don't, so I say to you, AGAIN.......God Bless America  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2010, 06:13:20 pm »
I like pie.

*said with extreme lisp and sucking drool back* "I like THE WIZARD OF OZ..... I like the Tin Man."
ROFLMAO

Miss P, you're alright.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2010, 06:15:22 pm »
This doesn't make any sense. Do you think before you post these snappy bon mots?

MtD

Think about it and you'll see what I mean: A species making observations about itself isn't going to be objective.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2010, 06:19:13 pm »
Think about it and you'll see what I mean: A species making observations about itself isn't going to be objective.

*facepalm*

MtD

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:00 pm »
Depends upon which species you are referring to. Surely you are not suggesting, that we are incapable of objective observations, about being human, because we are human. I see no logic to that theory, because history shows that often humans, can be objective and take corrective action where possible. But I don't think you want to discuss any theories, I think you just like to be contrary and by being vague and talking in generalities, you present nothing of interest.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2010, 06:28:08 pm »
Depends upon which species you are referring to. Surely you are not suggesting, that we are incapable of objective observations, about being human, because we are human. I see no logic to that theory, because history shows that often humans, can be objective and take corrective action where possible. But I don't think you want to discuss any theories, I think you just like to be contrary and by being vague and talking in generalities, you present nothing of interest.

Human history (recorded by humans) shows humans can be objective.. Examine that statement and you'll see the ridiculousness of it......And you're being dismissive rather than engage in intellectual discourse. It's OK, obviously this hit some kind of weird "button" with ya... *smooch* Don't stress it, hon'.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2010, 06:58:13 pm »
S.C. House cuts HIV/AIDS funding
Move comes after similar action by N.C. officials

http://goqnotes.com/5880/s-c-house-cuts-hivaids-funding/

Whaddayouknow, David? ::) NC cuts funds about a week sooner

AIDS funding cuts protested
As HIV rates skyrocket, groups combine resources to engage community, legislators

http://goqnotes.com/5740/aids-funding-cuts-protested/

Recently, new figures on HIV infection rates were released in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area. In the county, newly reported HIV/AIDS cases in 2007 were charted in 44.9 out of every 100,000 persons, constituting a 54 percent jump since 1999. Statistics collected by state officials for the same year indicated a rate of 52.8 per 100,000 people.

Mecklenburg County Commission Chair Jennifer Roberts has said the numbers are alarming, and rank Charlotte along with major metropolises like New York and Los Angeles.

The CDC estimates the number of reported AIDS (not including HIV) cases in 2007 were rated at 15 per 100,000 people in Los Angeles County and 15.7 per 100,000 people in the Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord metropolitan area.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:39 pm »

Man, this is some deep stuff.  Anyone heard from Dennis?  He was suppose to ask the Dalai Lama about David Carradine's death for me. 

Human history (recorded by humans) shows humans can be objective.. Examine that statement and you'll see the ridiculousness of it......And you're being dismissive rather than engage in intellectual discourse. It's OK, obviously this hit some kind of weird "button" with ya... *smooch* Don't stress it, hon'.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2010, 07:03:07 pm »
S.C. House cuts HIV/AIDS funding
Move comes after similar action by N.C. officials

http://goqnotes.com/5880/s-c-house-cuts-hivaids-funding/

Whaddayouknow, David? ::) NC cuts funds about a week sooner

AIDS funding cuts protested
As HIV rates skyrocket, groups combine resources to engage community, legislators

http://goqnotes.com/5740/aids-funding-cuts-protested/

Now we can go back to bashing the good ole US of A's... be objective though, our government is trying to run a shady business.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2010, 07:09:53 pm »
A few notes on some of your questions.
South Carolina, along with Georgia, Penn., and Arizona were caught not using all their funding under Ryan White for true allowable line items, and some were outright stealing it for other purposes.  Add to that, SC and Arizona, simply lost $2million each to incompetence.

ADAP to the best of my knowledge, requires no funding match for the states, but does for a very small portion of the RW in whole.  You all know of course, ADAP is the drug side of RW, but all comes out of HHS.  The current contract is for three years I think, and comes due next year.

Don't slap me, but none of my sources can be identified, because they roam the halls of Congress and HHS, and work for our AIDS Advocates in D.C.  Love to give you all refrenced proof, but you must take my word for it from a 45 minute conversation with their Congressional Advocate.  I would never expose him/her on the net, without express permission.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »
South Carolina, along with Georgia, Penn., and Arizona were caught not using all their funding under Ryan White for true allowable line items, and some were outright stealing it for other purposes.  Add to that, SC and Arizona, simply lost $2million each to incompetence.

That's business as usual for Georgia... This is the same state that "dips" into the money for the Hope grant (a scholarship fund set up by the Lottery commission that was supposed to guarantee any citizen born here to a college education), and has employees for GPB (Georgia's PBS affiliate) and local NPR"dip" into the federal funds they receive (and according to a former employee, use it for cocaine for office parties... This is why they are constantly running a pledge-drive practically year-round - they have to make-up the difference). When I hear about corruption in Georgia, I'm NOT surprised.

Offline denb45

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2010, 08:41:19 pm »
That's business as usual for Georgia... This is the same state that "dips" into the money for the Hope grant (a scholarship fund set up by the Lottery commission that was supposed to guarantee any citizen born here to a college education), and has employees for GPB (Georgia's PBS affiliate) and local NPR"dip" into the federal funds they receive (and according to a former employee, use it for cocaine for office parties... This is why they are constantly running a pledge-drive practically year-round - they have to make-up the difference). When I hear about corruption in Georgia, I'm NOT surprised.

When I hear about corruption abound in any State, and the miss-use of federal funding, that is suppose to to be ear-marked to help SICK people, I'm NOT surprised  ::)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2010, 08:58:04 pm »
Man, this is some deep stuff.  Anyone heard from Dennis?  He was suppose to ask the Dalai Lama about David Carradine's death for me. 

...What a price to pay for an orgasm....

Offline schacVolunteer

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »
Everyone.  SCHAC (South Carolina HIV AIDS Council) is holding a rally next Wed, March 17 at 11:30 am at the Capital building in Columbia.  PLEASE come out and show your support.  We need as many people as possible. We'll have speakers and hopefully have this legislation reinstate the funding for these programs.  If you would like more information, please contact me.  Email me at schac10@yahoo.com.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »
Everyone.  SCHAC (South Carolina HIV AIDS Council) is holding a rally next Wed, March 17 at 11:30 am at the Capital building in Columbia.  PLEASE come out and show your support.  We need as many people as possible. We'll have speakers and hopefully have this legislation reinstate the funding for these programs.  If you would like more information, please contact me.  Email me at schac10@yahoo.com.

Now THIS is something. Organised activity. It's what gets stuff changed. Good to see.

MtD

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06:20 pm »

BRAVO!!     I'll be prayn' for ya.  Thanks to all who show up.
Lynn Lavne

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:45 pm »
SCHAC (South Carolina HIV AIDS Council) is holding a rally next Wed, March 17 at 11:30 am at the Capital building in Columbia.
Thanks for this note/update/event annoucement! I'm meeting with people at my ASO tomorrow (Catawba Care Coalition in York Cty) to see what arrangements have been made or can be made to get support down to the capital. You should also get this event listed on the calendar on your website. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:02 am »
I think it is understandable why some Americans have bad feelings toward their country.  There was genocide when we first arrived.  Then, we built this country on the backs of slaves.  I know that is ancient history now and we're talking about today. 

We're the only industrialized country without universal healthcare.  Why do we have all the poor in those soup kitchen lines?  All modern wars, after WW2, have all been shams.  Wherever voters have been allowed to vote against same-sex marriage, they've done so.  The only states with it have come from legislatures and courts.  Didn't voters in Alabama a few elections back vote to keep discrimination laws against blacks on the books?

There are about half the country who are good people and about half who have a lot of hate.  America is working on that with each generation.  Our country does do great things.  I just don't like American exceptionalism.  There are many other countries with democracies, with gay marriage, with universal healthcare, and that don't start trillion dollar wars.  They have free press and most of them give more of their GDP in aid to other countries.

We've got good people who brought us things like ADAP, medicare, civil rights, etc.  We also have bad people who try to tear away at anything that helps the poor and sick.  There are still so many who love to discriminate against anyone different.  I love my country and think there is a battle between people trying to make the country a better place and those who like the status quo.  I can totally see why some get disillusioned by their country. 

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2010, 01:42:46 am »
Then there are those who vote against their own interests.  I was just debating with a family member who doesn't have a lot of money and has medical issues herself and her kids as well.  She always votes conservative.  She was complaining how she has pains in her liver (probably gallbladder) but can't get it seen about.  She couldn't even get a prescription filled for a nausea med.  We gave her the money for it.  She votes against her own interests.  Dems are by no means perfect, but I know they try to do good things to help people.  The conservative dems are a whole different story. 

A few years ago Thomas Frank wrote a book called What's the Matter with Kansas? in which he analyzes this baffling phenomenon. It sparked a lot of debate. There's now a movie based on the book.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2010, 01:56:28 am »
I love my country and think there is a battle between people trying to make the country a better place and those who like the status quo. 

The ones for the status quo know how to put a "spin" on things too - We're supposed to be a "free country" but yet if you express that you are told you are un-American and need to "get the Hell out". They get offended when you speak-out about the downside of our history and call you a negative person.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2010, 01:59:52 am »
A few years ago Thomas Frank wrote a book called What's the Matter with Kansas? in which he analyzes this baffling phenomenon. It sparked a lot of debate. There's now a movie based on the book.

Cool, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2010, 04:51:21 am »

I try not to post too much about my opinion of that place, for fear of being inflammatory, but since you ask, my view is very critical, yes.  Even more so than I ever post here.  I don't think it is possible to be too negative about a land where actions such as the one which is the topic of this thread occur as a matter of course.  Say what you will about other countries - for example anyplace in Western Europe - but this would not happen there.  Heck it wouldn't happen even here in Thailand.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2010, 08:33:55 am »
I try not to post too much about my opinion of that place, for fear of being inflammatory, but since you ask, my view is very critical, yes.  Even more so than I ever post here.  I don't think it is possible to be too negative about a land where actions such as the one which is the topic of this thread occur as a matter of course.  Say what you will about other countries - for example anyplace in Western Europe - but this would not happen there.  Heck it wouldn't happen even here in Thailand.

Yeah, ok.  Those meds that are keeping you alive weren't developed (invented) in Thailand, either.  It would seem that you'd find something positive about the country that's keeping you alive.  How involved is Thailand in HIV in terms of research and development?  Just for the sake of argument, and I'm not implying that there are not problems with the US, but how much does Thailand support other countries in terms of HIV meds (African countries, for example)?  I don't know, but I couldn't find any information on Thailand's foreign aid.  Now, if the US's aid to other countries stopped and was directed back towards the US, don't you think many, many more of us would have the meds we need?  Again, I'm not saying that there are not problems here in the US, but while all may not be rosy, all is not black, either. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2010, 10:14:45 am »

Are you from there?  I heard they refuse healthcare privelages to non-nationals.  Could that be because of limited resources?  I admit America's pie is a lot larger than the rest of the world's and our government has done a dismal job of making sure the American public gets a fair slice, but the truth is there is only so much to go around.  Something has to give somewhere...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Upcoming "Restore SC HIV/AIDS funding" rally
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2010, 01:48:28 pm »
A contingency from my local ASO, the Catawba Care Coalition based in York County and also serving Lancaster and Chester counties, has an appointment scheduled Tues. 3/16 to meet with Representative J. Gary Simrill (District 46 - York Co.) a member of the Ways and Means Cmmtte. (I'm seeing about making arrangements to go with the crowd, to plead the case for our clinic and area.) The statewide SC HIV AIDS Council has scheduled a rally at the state capital for this upcoming wed 3/17 at 11:30. (I'm working on the arrangments to go to that one for sure!)

Below is the information from the SC HIV AIDS Council that I'd like to pass along if anyone is interested.

SCHACCTF Advocacy Talking Points 2010

Please call your personal legislators immediately.  

You need your STATE Senator and your STATE Representative, who work in the General Assembly at the STATE HOUSE in Columbia. Find them at http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin/zipcodesearch.exe. Enter your zip code as instructed.  There is a link shown to find the extra 4 numbers you will need for your full 9-digit zip code.

Do not call your people in Congress at this time - they have no control over our state budget.  We must contact our LOCAL senator and representative in the STATE HOUSE, not in DC.  All of your DC officials AND State House officials are listed when you use the link above.  When you get to the page with your representatives, ignore the Congressional officials and scroll down to the state level ones.

Also, please call the legislators shown on the attached "Call YOUR Legislators and These KEY People" list.  
Here is what to say:

1.   "PLEASE save the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) and HIV Prevention in South Carolina".
2.   "PLEASE put the funding for these two programs back into the state budget." WHY?
a)   "Funding ADAP and HIV Prevention will reduce further transmission of HIV."
b)   "Funding ADAP and HIV Prevention will keep People Living With HIV healthy and working."
c)   "Funding ADAP and HIV Prevention will save tax payers' money by preventing unnecessary hospitalization due to illness."
d)   "I respectfully request that you restore the current level of funding for these two programs ADAP and HIV Prevention back into the budget."
e)   "Thank you for support.  We ask for your dedication to saving the AIDS Drug Assistance Program and HIV Prevention."

Call YOUR Legislators* AND these KEY people:
House of Representatives
Speaker: Representative Robert "Bobby" Harrell, District 114 (Charleston & Dorchester Counties)
803-734-3125   hsp@schouse.org
Ways & Means Chairman: Representative Daniel "Dan" Cooper, District 10 (Anderson County)
803-734-3144   hwm@schouse.org

House Health, Human Services and Medicaid Committee
Representative Tracy R. Edge, District 104 (Horry County)
803-734-3013   te@schouse.org  
Representative William "Bill" Clyburn, District 82 (Aiken & Edgefield Counties)
803-734-3033   wc@schouse.org
Representative Gilda Cobb-Hunter, District 66 (Orangeburg County)
803-734-2809   gch@schouse.org

Senate
Senate Health, Human Services and Medicaid Committee
Chairman: Senator Thomas Alexander, District 1 (Oconee & Pickens Counties)
803-212-6220   sge@scsenate.org
Senator William H. "Billy" O'Dell, District 4 (Abbeville, Anderson & Greenwood Counties)
803-212-6040   who@scsenate.org
Senator Clementa C. Pinckney, District 45 (Beaufort, Charleston, Colleton, Hampton & Jasper Counties)
803-212-6148   ccp@scsenate.org
Senator Glenn McConnell, District 41 (Charleston County)
803-212-6610   sju@scsenate.org
Senator Yancy McGill, District 32 (Florence, Georgetown, Horry & Williamsburg Counties)
803-212-6132   jym@scsenate.org
Senator Hugh K. Leatherman**, District 31 (Darlington & Florence Counties)
803-212-6640   sfi@scsenate.org

**no relation to yours truly. LOL
though the way these "Repugs" are, and not to impugne the honorable Senator's character, maybe he's a closet case and he and I DO have something in common  :D ;D

Edited to add:
I was corresponding with one of the staff of SCHAC (about some computer-y things of all things) and she obviously noticed the "leatherman" thingie going on too. Here's what she wrote near the end of our last email:
By the way, last year during National Volunteer Week, Senator Leatherman was incredibly gracious in recognizing our volunteers from the floor of the Senate.  Everyone was thrilled, as you can imagine.  The fact that the Senator took the time during last year's grueling budget discussions to recognize our volunteers was very kind of him and very much appreciated.  Several of the volunteers wrote thank you notes to him.

So maybe the Honorable Senator Leatherman (oooo, that has a nice ring to it) is honorable after all. I'll have to see if I can ferret out his voting record. ;) :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:10:01 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2010, 04:53:27 pm »
Yeah, ok.  Those meds that are keeping you alive weren't developed (invented) in Thailand, either.  It would seem that you'd find something positive about the country that's keeping you alive.
 Now, if the US's aid to other countries stopped and was directed back towards the US, don't you think many, many more of us would have the meds we need? 

The meds are only keeping me alive because they're being given to me free - if they're developed but not provided to me, as far as I'm concerned they're doing me no good at all.  There is no benefit from technological achievement or economic growth unless they're distributed.

Regarding the idea that the reason for lack of HIV funding in the US is because of excessive funding for Africa, no, the reason for lack of HIV funding in the US is ridiculously inadequate taxation of the privileged classes in our sad homeland.  Basically people are dying so that aristocrats in Palm Springs can have golden toilet bowls.

Are you from there? 

Yeah I'm as American as apple pie.  I wouldn't presume to judge it so harshly were I not steeped in it.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2010, 05:03:58 pm »
Regarding the idea that the reason for lack of HIV funding in the US is because of excessive funding for Africa, no, the reason for lack of HIV funding in the US is ridiculously inadequate taxation of the privileged classes in our sad homeland.  Basically people are dying so that aristocrats in Palm Springs can have golden toilet bowls.

Don't you know those poor people are icky and need to die... Mumsy, have that idiotic prole pass me the Grey-Poupon before I'm late for tennis.. <sarcasm>

Offline denb45

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2010, 06:00:02 pm »
Man, you really must have been gone from the US for a number of yrs. NOBODY lives like that in the US, haven't you heard of the stock-market-crash of 2008, most of the those people who did live like that, are in JAIL, or they lost EVERYTHING, maybe a few politicians, and Bank Exe"s and a few Movie Stars might still live this way, but, not many  :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:35:00 pm by denb45 »

Offline blackwingbear

Re: Upcoming "Restore SC HIV/AIDS funding" rally
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:57 pm »
So maybe the Honorable Senator Leatherman (oooo, that has a nice ring to it) is honorable after all. I'll have to see if I can ferret out his voting record. ;) :D

I'd vote for ya...

Offline David_CA

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2010, 06:35:08 pm »
The meds are only keeping me alive because they're being given to me free - if they're developed but not provided to me, as far as I'm concerned they're doing me no good at all.  There is no benefit from technological achievement or economic growth unless they're distributed.

Yeah I'm as American as apple pie.  I wouldn't presume to judge it so harshly were I not steeped in it.

Again, give some credit.  They were developed here plain and simple.  You already mentioned that you could come back to the US and receive ADAP.  It sounds like YOU would be covered either way.  I never said that the reason that some here don't have meds that they need is because of the aid the US sends out.  I said that I imagine that there would be enough to cover US citizens who need it if we didn't.  Of course, I'm sure that we could help both either way.  I also never implied that the US was doing a good job with health care... duh!

As for some 'aristocrats in Palm Springs can have golden toilet bowls'... it's not always anything that sinister.  For example, I take Atripla.  Local pharmacies will sell it for around $1700 cash.  My insurance covers it up to $2700.  Guess which price my insurance (which is provided by the State of NC - state employee) pays?  You got it - $2700.  That's $12,000 every year that the State of NC overpays for my Atripla.  Realizing that this isn't restricted to me or to Atripla, how much is the Sate overpaying?  Couldn't savings from eliminating such overpayment be used to remove folks from ADAP waiting lists? 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2010, 06:48:50 pm »
the reason for lack of HIV funding in the US is because of excessive funding for Africa,
My Lord you are so severely out of touch, it just amazes me.  First you ask us the rediculous question of ADAP supplying you medications,  while you remain a resident of Thailand.  Oh, I just couldn't respond to that one, as it was so far off the planet I just couldn't retrieve the thought.

Now you make a statement like this.  The true reason for the lack of funding here is strictly because of the marriage of Washington and the drug companies, and the efficient propaganda of the last 8 years of Bush.  Don't you know HIV is all our fault, and it is now nothing more than a mere inconvenience to our lives.  Please read the thread started by Weasel.  This is the propaganda coming to maturity and if we all don't get our perverbial shit together, it is possible to happen to all of us.

Please do your homework before you start slinging the shit.
Lynn Lavne

Offline denb45

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2010, 06:52:47 pm »
Again, give some credit.  They were developed here plain and simple.  You already mentioned that you could come back to the US and receive ADAP.  It sounds like YOU would be covered either way.  I never said that the reason that some here don't have meds that they need is because of the aid the US sends out.  I said that I imagine that there would be enough to cover US citizens who need it if we didn't.  Of course, I'm sure that we could help both either way.  I also never implied that the US was doing a good job with health care... duh!

As for some 'aristocrats in Palm Springs can have golden toilet bowls'... it's not always anything that sinister.  For example, I take Atripla.  Local pharmacies will sell it for around $1700 cash.  My insurance covers it up to $2700.  Guess which price my insurance (which is provided by the State of NC - state employee) pays?  You got it - $2700.  That's $12,000 every year that the State of NC overpays for my Atripla.  Realizing that this isn't restricted to me or to Atripla, how much is the Sate overpaying?  Couldn't savings from eliminating such overpayment be used to remove folks from ADAP waiting lists?  

David, BIG PHARMA is the DEVIL, drugs cost so much, it's killing everything and everybody, making a profit is fine, but, when it's TOO MUCH of a profit, that's the whole problem.....you are correct, it takes
5 to 10 yrs to approve a drug here in the US, where as in the EU it only takes a few yrs. and we here in the US pay a very heavy price for this  ;D we can all thank 8 yrs of the Bush admin. for stopping us form going to Canada to buy cheaper drugs, just like moffie said above, it's a big-ass scam done by our own government  ???
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:59:17 pm by denb45 »

Offline azprince

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2010, 10:36:58 pm »
A simple question in the middle of all the shouting which makes me happy since part of it is a socialist shouting which I worship ;D
My question: what happens to people who  are cut off ADAP? I mean its impossible that they are just left to die in the street, we haven't heard of something like this, so there must be some alternative method to supply them with Meds otherwise it doesn't make sense, it will just create a disaster in a state level ! some facts are missing here
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.