Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Safe Sex Serosorting scientific data censored in USA!

(1/13) > >>

A Free Thinker:
For more than a decade, Serosorting has broken the cycle of new HIV transmissions, has made safe sex safer, and has reunited mankind to achieve a single, common goal – to reignite the excitement of HIV Prevention.

NOTE: There are three forms of Serosorting and TWO involve safe sex; so WHY are HIV researchers in the USA delibertaly censoring this vital scientific data? Also; please note: The Safe Sex Serosorting data involves STRAIGHT (Male / Female) couples - So WHY the discrimination against HIV+ gay men? And WHY do the HIV researchers in the USA claim that Serosorting is only for BAREBACKING GAY MEN? Do HIV+ gay men have safe sex with other HIV+ gay men? Do HIV-negative gay men have safe sex with other HIV-negative gay men?

Acording to the HIV Serosorting researchers in the USA, NO, HIV+ gay men do NOT have safe sex, and neither do HIV-negative gay men. It's a sad nation we live in, when vital HIV prevention and harm reduction data is censored from us.

The Safe Sex Serosorting data:

“Does serosorting work? In some American cities, evidence of a “disconnect” between rising rates of sexually transmitted infections but steady or declining rates of HIV incidence has been seen as evidence that serosorting is working. Two things are necessary for serosorting: 

1)     A high rate of HIV testing and,
2)     Disclosure of status.

A number of different posters looked at rates of disclosure by HIV-positive people all over the world. A poster from Uganda (King) found that of 1,092 HIV-positive clients of the country’s largest AIDS NGO, TASO, 45% of them men, 42% of them had been sexually active in the past three months and of these 69% had disclosed their HIV status to their partner. Encouragingly, higher rates of disclosure were associated with higher rates of condom use, showing that the two activities are linked. 

Finally, in an upbeat presentation, Fiona Percy-de Korte reported on high rates of disclosure among recipients of antiretrovirals in the Botswana National Treatment Programme.

Among this cross-sectional survey of 275 patients in two districts, she said that 90% of ARV recipients had disclosed their HIV status to family members, 71% to their spouse or partner, 54% to friends, 26% to a church leader, and 20% to their employer.

Seventy-three per cent said they always used a condom during sex. And 48% said they had reduced their number of sexual partners since diagnosis.”(1)

There is plenty of evidence that serosorting exists as a behaviour. Jonathan Elford presented a poster showing that serosorting was common not only among HIV-positive gay men in the UK but also among Africans.”(2)

“Investigators from Sydney therefore looked at the serosorting behaviour of gay men known to be HIV-negative between 2002 and 2005. Although these men were not explicitly asked if they had “serosorted,” this behaviour was inferred from information they provided.

The practice of deliberately selecting partners of the same HIV status – often called “serosorting” – has been well described amongst HIV-positive gay men and even been credited with contributing to a fall in HIV incidence in San Francisco. Most investigators have looked at the serosorting behaviours of HIV-positive men and there are limited data on serosorting amongst HIV-negative gay men. There is also some evidence from the United States that HIV-negative men are increasingly avoiding sex with men who know they are HIV-positive. They also suggest that the internet may have a role in the apparent increase in serosorting.” (3)

(1)   Percy-de Korte F. Experiences of people living with AIDS (PLWA) following enrollment in the Botswana National Treatment Programme (BNTP). Sixteenth International AIDS Conference, Toronto, abstract WEAC0102, 2006.

(2)   Elford J et al. Serosorting among Africans living with HIV in London. Sixteenth International AIDS Conference, Toronto, abstract WEPDC05, 2006

(3)   Mao L et al. ”Serosorting” in casual anal sex of HIV-negative gay men is noteworthy and is increasing in Sydney, Australia. AIDS 20: 1204-1206, 2006.
Abelson J et al. HIV optimism does not explain increases in high-risk sexual behaviour among gay men of positive or negative HIV status in Sydney, Australia. AIDS 20: 1215-1216, 2006.

sharkdiver:
Howdy and welcome to the forum.

Usually it's customary for people to introduce themselves and give a little background but that's ok.

So...what's your story? How long have you been poz?

and again,

welcome,

Sharkie

A Free Thinker:
Sorry about that,

My stats, huh? Well...

Male
Gay
White
Out-a-shape
6' 1"
34"w
10 1/2 shoe

HIV+ since late 1983 (And yes, I DO remember the witch hunts, the hate, the finger pointing, the lies, the deaths, the public out cries to stop HIV, the banishments, the suicides, the attacks...should I go on?)

Currently living in New York City, NY (12 years now)

Take meds, but only when I want to, NOT when my dr. tells me to. Which allows me to state as a fact: HIV does NOT control me, I control me, and HIV does NOT mutate...otherwise I would be dead by now. Which allows me to QUESTION the so called HIV "experts" and "perfessionals". Lets just say - that for the past decade, I have stepped OUT of Plato's Cave and learned to explore the world with MY OWN thoughts and ideas, and WITHOUT the financial or political support of the HIV agencies, organizations, departments, "experts" or "perfessionals".

And the ONLY reason WHY HIV is still here today is because of: Negligence, Censorship, Discrimination and Accounting Fraud. If NOT, then someone please explain WHY scientific Safe Sex Serosorting research data is being censored here in the US.  WHY PERMOTE safe sex and HIV testing when NO ONE cares to conduct the required research to monitor it's success?

However, I am pleased about the Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut work in Serosorting (Note: this is the ONLY research study about the Psychology of Serosorting). Any other researchers wish to join on the band wagon?

Serosorting sexual partners and risk for HIV among men who have sex with men.
Eaton LA, Kalichman SC, Cain DN, Cherry C, Stearns HL, Amaral CM, Flanagan JA, Pope HL.
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs 06269, USA.
lisa.eaton@uconn.edu / Weblink: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18022064

OBJECTIVE: The purpose of the current study was to assess whether men who have sex with men (MSM) who limit their unprotected anal sexual partners to those who are of the same HIV status (serosort) differ in their risk for HIV transmission than MSM who do not serosort. METHODS: Cross-sectional surveys administered at a large Gay Pride festival in June 2006 (80% response rate) were collected from MSM. Univariate and multivariate logistic regressions were used to identify predictors of serosorting. Analyses were conducted in 2006. RESULTS: Participants were self-identified as HIV-negative MSM (N=628); about one third of them engaged in serosorting (n=229). Men who serosort were more likely to believe that it offered protection against HIV transmission, perceived themselves as being at no relatively higher risk for HIV transmission, and had more unprotected anal intercourse partners. Over half the sample reported their frequency of HIV testing as yearly or less frequently; this finding did not differ between serosorters and nonserosorters. CONCLUSIONS: Men who identify as HIV-negative and serosort are no more likely to know their HIV status than men who do not serosort and are at higher risk for exposure to HIV. Interventions targeting MSM must address the limitations of serosorting.

PMID: 18022064 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

NOTE: WHERE IS THE SAFE SEX SEROSORTING DATA for Americans?!

LOL
A FREE Thinker!

Matty the Damned:
Take meds, but only when I want to, NOT when my dr. tells me to. Which allows me to state as a fact: HIV does NOT control me, I control me, and HIV does NOT mutate...otherwise I would be dead by now. Which allows me to QUESTION the so called HIV "experts" and "perfessionals". Lets just say - that for the past decade, I have stepped OUT of Plato's Cave and learned to explore the world with MY OWN thoughts and ideas, and WITHOUT the financial or political support of the HIV agencies, organizations, departments, "experts" or "perfessionals".

And the ONLY reason WHY HIV is still here today is because of: Negligence, Censorship, Discrimination and Accounting Fraud. If NOT, then someone please explain WHY scientific Safe Sex Serosorting research data is being censored here in the US.  WHY PERMOTE safe sex and HIV testing when NO ONE cares to conduct the required research to monitor it's success?

and we have another one.  ::)

Free Thinker, I'd love to give you a more effusive welcome, but frankly I can't.

The peer reviewed science demonstrates without a shadow of a doubt that HIV does mutate, and those mutations are to it's advantage and, generally speaking, our disadvantage.

The fact that you're still alive doesn't really prove anything other than that, well, you're still alive.

MtD

A Free Thinker:
To Matty.the.damned;

So, just because I live my live MY way, YOU find cause to judge me? LOL ;D

Lets stay on topic, shall we?

Scientific Safe Sex Serosorting research data is delibertaly being censored in the US, AND gay HIV+ men are being discriminated against as a result. Matty.the.damned, do you care about this or are you more concerned about me not taking my meds?

Why fund HIV prevention and harm reduction programs if we allow vital HIV research data to be censored?

Plato and Voltaire RULE!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version