Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 335
Total: 337

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: how quickly could a symptom come on?  (Read 25539 times)

Offline ryan30SEA

how quickly could a symptom come on?
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »
Hey everyone.. let me give a little back-story.  I had been seeing a guy for a few months, nothing sexual..but on Sept. 25th and 26th, I let him go down on me.  He had some stubble  (pretty rough)..is there a chance that this could have abraded the skin on my penis to where if he had any cuts in his mouth, blood or something could have infected me?  He also stroked it with his hand for several minutes before putting his mouth on it and it got kind of chafe-ey.  Would this make something absorb into the skin of my penis easier?

I had a bit of a cold/sore throat early this week, Sunday through today basically..  He had a negative HIV test before I let him go down on me, but what if he did something in the last 6 or 8 weeks where it wouldn't have shown up on his test?  I tested negative on Sept. 11th 2008 (before this incident)  What are the chances I have HIV from him?

Also,

What are the odds someone could be infected if someone with HIV prepared their fast food or if they spit or cummed in your food?  Sorry if these questions are stupid.

Thank you for your time,

Ryan

Offline RapidRod

Re: What are the chances?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:27:04 pm »
Could you have gotten a wisker burn yes, but that is no concern in HIV transmission. You don't contracting HIV by a person going down on you.

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:21:36 pm »
Thanks Rod, I appreciate the response.. Andy or Ann can you please weigh in as well?

Thank you!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:48:06 pm »
As Rod has already said this is not an HIV situation, either is saliva or sperm in fast food, I suggest you read the Welcome Thread and follow the lessons on how HIV is and is not transmitted.

You are worrying needlessly.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 06:54:25 pm »
Thanks Annie,  Andy can you weigh in also?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:42:26 am »
Ryan,

I may not be Andy, but I can also tell you that getting blown is not a risk for hiv infection, regardless of whisker burn. Not only is saliva not infectious, it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

And there's nothing anyone can put into your food to infect you with hiv. Nothing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:03:39 pm »
Thanks Ann, 

Not even if there is blood or semen in your food?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 01:18:18 pm »
Ryan,

What did you think I meant when I said: And there's nothing anyone can put into your food to infect you with hiv. Nothing.  ???

Hiv is a fragile virus that is transmitted INSIDE the human body as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Once it's outside the body, small changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels quickly damage hiv and render it unable to infect. So NO, you aren't going to be infected via food. It's impossible.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 12:06:40 am »
Hey everyone...please refer above for my situation where the guy went down on me twice with the stubble...so I mentioned that I had a sore throat a few days afterward and I'm feeling better now..

but now I am noticing behind both my ears, little small bumps..could these be swollen lymph nodes? Please don't be dismissive of my question..I don't remember feeling these before and I'm really scared..I know lymph nodes are in your neck, but can they be like right above your jaw bone where it meets your face..it seems like it's right in the same area...could it be swollen lymph nodes caused by seroconversion?  I am really scared..please give a detailed answer to address my concerns..I feel like I'm losing my mind...

Ryan

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 02:09:16 am »
Reread all the replies that you have already been given. You were never at risk of contracting HIV

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 06:43:39 am »
Ryan,

If you feel unwell or are worried about something going on with your body, then you need to see a doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv. You had no risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 02:22:36 pm »
Thank you for your responses,

But can I please have some specificity about my lymph node questions?  Andy can you please answer?

Thank you.

Ryan

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 03:42:50 pm »
Yes, those could be swollen lymph nodes behind your ears. And you need to leave them alone. By pressing, fingering and otherwise bothering them you can create a real problem. They're very sensitive to the touch. If you are concerned, discuss them with your doctor.

Swollen lymph nodes are absolutely NOT and HIV-specific occurence. They happen for many reasons. Since you haven't reported anything which put you at risk for HIV transmission, this is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:35 pm »
Ryan,

Nobody can diagnose your lymph nodes over the internet. Hundreds of things can cause lymph nodes to swell, including touching them all the time to see if they're swollen. If they're worrying you, you'll have to see a doctor.

Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv. You had no risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 03:46:17 pm »
Thanks Andy..but what exactly do swollen lymph nodes mean?  What causes them to swell? What are the medical reasons?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 03:57:18 pm »
ryan,

Lymph nodes swelll in response to an infection or cancer. It can be any type of infection. Whatever is causing YOURS to swell isn't hiv as you had no risk. Go to your doctor to find out what's going on with yours - and keep your hands off them in the meantime. You could be causing them to swell by constantly checking them. Stop it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ryan30SEA

how quickly could a symptom come on?
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 05:49:43 pm »
Hey all,

I went on a date with a guy last night..first date.  I wasn't planning on doing anything, but my hormones got the better of me, and I ended up making out a little bit with this 21 year old, and he gave me a blowjob and swallowed.  My question is, like last night..mere hour or two at most after our "session"  I feel like I have kind of  a slight pain in my chest when I breathe in deep.  How soon could a possible HIV symptom like this show up?  Could it come on that quick or would this feeling have to be attributed to something else totally non-related that happened a couple of days ago?

thanks

Ryan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: how quickly could a symptom come on?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »
Ryan,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

This blowjob wasn't a risk for hiv infection, just like first one you brought here and just like any further ones will be. Getting a blowjob is NOT A RISK for hiv infection! You've been told this repeatedly now. You got your dick sucked. Get over it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 06:24:48 pm »
Thanks Ann, but this was a different incident altogether..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31:14 pm »
It doesn't matter that it was another blowjob. Still no risk. A blowjob is a blowjob is a blowjob. No risk.

And don't start anymore new threads just because you have something you consider "new" to discuss. Keep everything in this same thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:12 pm »
Hi Andy thanks..but what about my question about how quickly an ARS could come on after sex?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 06:52:53 pm »
It's nothing for you to worry about because you didn't have a risk and you've been advised of it several times already.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 06:58:01 pm »
Ryan,

Symptoms often never happen. When they do, they take around two weeks to materialise.

You're not going to have any hiv related symptoms after getting a blowjob. One more time, (repeat after me) GETTING A BLOWJOB IS NOT A RISK FOR HIV INFECTION. Never has been, never will be.

Keep posting about no-risk blowjobs and you'll be given a time out.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 07:24:57 pm »
Hey Andy,

I want you to know that I appreciate al the advice so far.  I have heard you talk a few times about "serodiscordant couples studies" where they had unprotected oral sex and protected anal and vaginal sex, and none of the negative people have become infected.  Can you please post a link(s) to these so that I may read them as well?  Also, you and others have mentioned that saliva has over a dozen HIV inhibiting agents (proteins and enzymes) in it.  Can you please also post a link or links that goes over that in a little bit more detail.   I know kissing and insertive oral sex are very low risk, but I'd just be interested to peruse these particular studies you speak of.

Thanks so much Andy and continued good health to you and all the moderators!

Ryan

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 07:41:44 pm »
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=15891.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=2511.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=2244.0

(in this thread, you reference the page-shafer discussion directly. This is in addition to the romero study)

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=12630.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=10457.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=10310.msg127650#msg127650

The quajtification we use at AIDSMEDS is based on three distinct and separate studies conducted over the course of two decades with serodiscordasnt couples. We do not rely on anecdotal evidence insofar as HIV transmission is concerned, especially not now, where the current state of the scientific and epidemiological art is as advanced as it is. With more people living longer and healthier lives, a large enough collection of serodiscordant couples has finally emerged to create blind studies where HIV transmission routes can be studied with scientific quantification.

Here are some of the  scientific findings.

No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS:  Volume 16(17)  22 November 2002  pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan

Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117

Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 07:42:39 pm »

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update.
J Campo , M A Perea , J Del Romero , J Cano , V Hernando , A Bascones
Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and many other viruses can be isolated in blood and body fluids, including saliva, and can be transmitted by genital-genital and especially anal-genital sexual activity. The risk of transmission of HIV via oral sexual practices is very low. Unlike other mucosal areas of the body, the oral cavity appears to be an extremely uncommon transmission route for HIV. We present a review of available evidence on the oral-genital transmission of HIV and analyse the factors that act to protect oral tissues from infection, thereby reducing the risk of HIV transmission by oral sex. Among these factors we highlight the levels of HIV RNA in saliva, presence of fewer CD4+ target cells, presence of IgA antibodies in saliva, presence of other infections in the oral cavity and the endogenous salivary antiviral factors lysozyme, defensins, thrombospondin and secretory leucocyte protease inhibitor (SLPI). Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219-228.

Oral Sex Poses Low HIV Risk / Study fails to find any infected people
Newsday - August 15, 2001 
Laurie Garrett, Staff Correspondent

Atlanta - Oral sex poses an extremely low risk of HIV infection, according to a study released yesterday at the second National HIV Prevention Conference here.
Kimberly Page Schafer and her colleagues at the University of California at San Francisco have reached that conclusion after two years of searching for someone who has acquired HIV from oral sex. After two years and nearly 200 individuals closely studied, Schafer said in an interview, "Everyone has come up negative.
"Oral sex is safer," Schafer said. "You can get other sexually transmitted diseases from oral sex, such as gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia and herpes. But it appears that the risk from oral sex for HIV is an order of magnitude lower than for anal sex."
Schafer's group intended to put together a study comparing people who got HIV from oral sex to those who did not, and then search for factors that could explain the difference. For two years they combed sex clubs and HIV clinics from San Diego to San Francisco searching for men and women whose sole sexual activities are oral.
The 198 participants, 194 of whom are men, have a mean of three different sex partners in six months, engaging in multiple oral sex encounters. Statistically, they are far more sexually active than the average American. It is a group at high risk for HIV, since 20 percent of them report knowingly having sex with HIV-positive men, and many more admit to not knowing the HIV status of one or more partners.
Yet only one of the 198 individuals was HIV-positive, and a sophisticated test showed he had become infected years before, at a time when he practiced anal intercourse.
In a separate UCSF mathematical modeling study, Drs. Susan Buchbinder and Eric Vittinghoff calculated that the odds of acquiring HIV from any single act of oral sex with an infected partner are roughly four in 10,000, compared with odds of four in 1,000 for anal sex with a condom.
Schafer said, "Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."
As part of their study the UCSF team is collecting saliva from all study participants, which is being analyzed for factors that may control or destroy HIV. At least four types of chemicals found in human saliva destroy HIV, or render it immobile in test tube studies. Nobody knows whether any of these chemicals are active in real life.
It is possible that the group studied was skewed to people who are more health-conscious when it comes to testing for HIV. Schafer discovered that most of the 198 individuals in her study had undergone previous HIV tests, and came to the study in hopes of being tested again. They were also far more likely than the average individual to have seen a dentist within the last six months. Exactly how those attitudes may have influenced the results isn't clear.

ND010803

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »
HIV and saliva
An article from "The Molecules of HIV" (c) Dan Stowell
www.mcld.co.uk/hiv
Occasionally I'm asked about whether HIV is present in an HIV-positive person's saliva, and whether it carries a risk of transmission.
The short answer is that saliva virtually never carries any infectious HIV at all.
It does carry detectable "components" of HIV (such as viral RNA and proviral DNA), but these are not infectious on their own. The environment that saliva provides is far too harsh for infectious particles to remain intact and viable.
There are a number of possible mechanisms that have been suggested, which might explain why saliva seems to be so good at destroying HIV. Specific enzymes present in saliva may be important, or the effect of antibodies in saliva. Additionally, the saliva is "hypotonic" and has a tendency to disrupt any cells which may be floating around in it. It's pretty much certain that it's the combination of these factors that mean HIV is not transmitted in saliva.
It may seem strange that such a dangerous virus can't survive in something as "harmless" as saliva. In fact, saliva is a part of the body's natural defences against infection. Additionally, remember that the HIV virus is actually quite fragile.
More information:
Shugars DC, Sweet SP, Malamud D, Kazmi S, Page-Shafer K, Challacombe SJ (2002)
Saliva and inhibition of HIV-1 infection: molecular mechanisms.
Oral Diseases 8: 169-175 Suppl. 2 2002
Baron S, Poast J, Cloyd MW (1999)
Why is HIV rarely transmitted by oral secretions? Saliva can disrupt orally shed, infected leukocytes.
Archives of Internal Medicine 159 (3): 303-310

Source:

http://www.mcld.co.uk/hiv/?q=HIV%20and%20saliva

Welcome Thread

Offline ryan30SEA

Encounter on 1/9/09 (please answer Andy Velez)
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 06:26:32 pm »
Hello,

On 1/9/09, a 19 year old guy I had been talking to for a week or so spent the night with me.  We did not engage in oral sex or anal sex, but we made out quite a bit..during the night, he jerked off while I made out with him, and then he did the same, kissed me while I jerked off.  I don't think any of his semen came into contact with me.  Then at  various point, we just kind of rubbed up against each other, I'm sure there was pre-cum, but he never penetrated me nor I him..but if he had precum , and the head of his penis might have come into contact with my anus at some piont during the night or the morning, even if only rubbing the outside (I'm certain there was no penetration) couldn't this cause an infection?  The last couple of days I've had some cold symptoms, and today I noticed a dark spot in my inner left cheek in my mouth.    I'm really freaking out, and I just can't stop worrying...this Friday will be three weeks since possible exposure..What should I do Andy...do you think there is a chance I could have something?  I'm scared.

Ryan

Offline RapidRod

Re: Encounter on 1/9/09 (please answer Andy Velez)
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 06:36:19 pm »
Your question will not be answered until you return to your Orignial thread. Go back and reread the posting guideline that are located in the "Welcome" thread. While you are looking at the "Welcome" thread read the lesson on transmission.

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 06:41:32 pm »
I'm not good with computers..I didn't see how to..it said my other post was over 60 days old..so I should create a new thread?  Why are you always so rude to everyone?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 06:47:20 pm »
Click on your nick and go to show own posts. There you will find your Original posts. We have guidelines on this forum follow them.

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 06:49:44 pm »
and as I just said, I did that..and couldn't see how to post from there.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 06:52:58 pm »
Click the reply button and add your question. You have one warning already about starting new threads.

Offline ryan30SEA

Encounter on 1/9/09 (please answer Andy Velez)
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 06:58:17 pm »
Hello,

On 1/9/09, a 19 year old guy I had been talking to for a week or so spent the night with me.  We did not engage in oral sex or anal sex, but we made out quite a bit..during the night, he jerked off while I made out with him, and then he did the same, kissed me while I jerked off.  I don't think any of his semen came into contact with me.  Then at  various point, we just kind of rubbed up against each other, I'm sure there was pre-cum, but he never penetrated me nor I him..but if he had precum , and the head of his penis might have come into contact with my anus at some piont during the night or the morning, even if only rubbing the outside (I'm certain there was no penetration) couldn't this cause an infection?  The last couple of days I've had some cold symptoms, and today I noticed a dark spot in my inner left cheek in my mouth.    I'm really freaking out, and I just can't stop worrying...this Friday will be three weeks since possible exposure..What should I do Andy...do you think there is a chance I could have something?  I'm scared.

Ryan

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 07:02:37 pm »
At no time were you at risk of contracting HIV in the situation you've provided. Now go read the lessons on transmission. You will find the link in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 10:53:10 pm »
Ryan, I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Even if you guys had been drenched in each other's semen it wouldn't have been a risk. HIV is a fragile virus. The only proven mode of transmission sexually is via unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Everything else is strictly theoretical as far as potential risk. You are worrying needlessly. But since you are sexually active you need to be better informed and keep those condoms handy for when you may need them. No exceptions as far as intercourse. Use one everytime.

Andy Velez

Offline ryan30SEA

blood transmission
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 05:33:12 pm »
Hello again,

I wanted to ask about how much blood would be required to transmit HIV?  I have recently had an experience where I had made out with someone that had fairly recent oral surgery.  Are thre statistics on how much blood needs to be exchanged in order to contract HIV from one person to another?  I am just really worried about this and can't stop thinking about it.  I was very lethargic yesterday (exactly two weeks after the incident) and today have diarreaha.worst than normal loose bowel, basically liquid.  would a two week test give any reliable answer as to whether or not I am infected?

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 06:40:40 pm »
Are you talking about kissing? Kissing including deep kissing is not a risk for HIV transmission. Period. So there's no need for testing or further concern if that is what is bothering you.
Andy Velez

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 06:47:55 pm »
Yea but doesn't that mean when there is an assumption made of no blood?  Obviousy blood in a kissing situation is normall atypical, but it's a possiblity here due to his recent surgery..so that's why I'm sort of asking about what amount of blood could be something that might allow for transmission.

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 01:55:24 pm »
Andy,

I had diarrhea all day yesterday, and so far already twice today (it's not even 11am)  I don't remember ever having diarrhea like this.  I am totally freaking out.  Friday I felt kind of nauseous and like my stmomach wasn't right..then the diarrhea.  This all, exactly two weeks after th makeout incident wth the guy that had the oral surgery 6 days before where there could have been blood during out makeout.  Can someone PLEASE address how much blood in the mouth could cause transmission?  I am SERIOUSLY freaking out bad.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 04:44:24 pm »
You couldn't get enough blood in your mouth to be a risk. Seek professional mental help for your phobias.

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 08:35:09 pm »
Hello Andy and Ann,

I am planning on testing with the orasure test on Sept. 4th..4 weeks after the incident.  Would this test give me a pretty good indication if it's negatve that I will be ok?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 08:37:56 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 08:45:12 pm »
can a MODERATOR or ADMINISTRATOR please respond to my question about testing at 4 weeks?  Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 09:24:20 pm »
Andy did reply to you, reread his reply .

Posted by: Andy Velez 
Insert Quote
Are you talking about kissing? Kissing including deep kissing is not a risk for HIV transmission. Period. So there's no need for testing or further concern if that is what is bothering you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 08:31:58 am »
Your negative result is not a surprise here. You didn't have a risk so of course you're going to test negative, despite what your fears tell  you to the contrary.

Get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 05:13:59 pm »
Hi Andy,

There may have been some confusion but I haven't tested yet.. I was asking if testing at 3 or 4 weeks would be somewhat conclusive.  Also, for people that do have seroconversion symptoms, is there sometimes just one (diarrhea)  and how long would it last if so? Would it last longer than a few days if it was relative to seroconversion?  I'm thinking about getting tested on Sept. 4th whiich would be 4 week after, but have thought about testing even later this week (the third week).

Also, what are the highest areas in the US for HIV infection?  Is there a map or are there statistics on this? I'd be curious to see what the rates are in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 05:59:47 pm »
Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever accurately tell you about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time (13 weeks) can give that answer definitively.

But it doesn't matter that you haven't tested because you didn't have a risk. So your nervously asking will you get an answer at 4 weeks is both mistaken and irrelevant. You don't have to test. You've been told that very clearly. You don't have to believe it but you didn't have a risk from kissing. Period. Go ahead and test if you want to strictly for your own peace of mind.

I can tell you we're not going to indefinitely do a back and forth with you about your fears which have no basis in HIV science.
Andy Velez

Offline ryan30SEA

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 11:11:36 am »
I was told by the local testing center for gay men the following:

•   If you were exposed to HIV on August 7th, now would be a good time to get an HIV-RNA test. Unlike an antibody test, the HIV-RNA test looks for the presence of HIV's genetic material and has a much shorter window period. Many folks that have been infected with HIV will test positive on the RNA test as little as 14 days after their seroconversion.

My question is this.  I've heard people talk about how the RNA test can give false positives..why is this? if it's searching for genetic material of HIV, could it be wrong and what is it's reliability?  Thanks in advance for any clarification.   I am considering testing this week.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 11:43:49 am »
Ryan,

It's the DNA PCR test that is prone to false positives. They're fairly rare with the RNA tests.

But you're still missing the point. Unless you repeatedly and savagely punched the person you kissed in the mouth and caused massive bleeding before you kissed, there could not have possibly been enough blood in his mouth for you to worry about.

KISSING IS NOT A RISK FOR HIV INFECTION. End of story. Not one person has ever been infected through a kiss and you certainly won't be the first.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS KISS.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.