Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:53:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 221
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cholesterol lowered by intake of flax seed oil and flaxseed.  (Read 13061 times)

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Cholesterol lowered by intake of flax seed oil and flaxseed.
« on: October 28, 2008, 02:34:15 pm »
I just got my results back at the HIV clinic.

The usual  undetectable ( yes!!) and T- count of 598.

This time my cholesterol was within the normal range. I had started to have 2 spoonfuls of flaxseed oil and some crushed fresh flaxseeds mixed with cottage cheese or yogurt every day at breakfast, about 1 1/2 month ago....
I knew it worked against high cholesterol, and I have now gotten the proof of it.

Just a warning : it does cause your stool to soften ... so, beware if you have diarrhea..

hug

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Cholesterol lowered by intake of flax seed oil and flaxseed.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 03:24:59 pm »
I just got my results back at the HIV clinic.

The usual  undetectable ( yes!!) and T- count of 598.

This time my cholesterol was within the normal range. I had started to have 2 spoonfuls of flaxseed oil and some crushed fresh flaxseeds mixed with cottage cheese or yogurt every day at breakfast, about 1 1/2 month ago....
I knew it worked against high cholesterol, and I have now gotten the proof of it.

Just a warning : it does cause your stool to soften ... so, beware if you have diarrhea..

hug

hermie

Great news for you hermie  ;D, I take the fish oil/flax-seed-OMEGA-3 Fatty Acids, 2grams twice a day, seems to help some, but, MURDER on my diarrhea due to the PI's I'm on right now, I'm also on TRICOR & QUINAPRIL for high cholesterol as well, won't know how well I'm doing in that area until I see my ID Doctor on NOV 5th  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:29:07 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:14 pm »
Reviving the topic to add that, similarly, the hemp oil my doctor put me on 4 months ago was effective with my high triglycerides. A spoonfull a day before breakfast has halved the amount of those lipids in my blood from 8,35 g/l to 4,29 g/l.

The Cholesterol meanwhile has kept going slowly down and is now borderline normal, with HDL slowly going up.

I hope the trend continues so I can delay having to take specific meds for that.

Now wondering which magic oil would get me rid of the fat deposits on my neck and abdomen  ???

hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline denb45

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:08:50 pm »
I take the fish oil/flax-seed-OMEGA-3 Fatty Acids, 2grams twice a day, but when i saw my ID doctor on NOV 8th 2008................she uped it to 4grams twice a day.............yuck, all I do now is burp FISH OIL all night & all day long  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:12:33 pm »
yuck, all I do now is burp FISH OIL all night & all day long  ???

Denb45:

Try the fish oil capsules that are marked "enteric coated".  In my experience this will help greatly with eliminating the nasty fish burp.  Here's an example of a random brand I pulled off the net:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod2499520&CATID=100178&skuid=sku2498957&V=G&ec=frgl_900796&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2498957

Good luck.
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline denb45

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:31:20 pm »
Denb45:

Try the fish oil capsules that are marked "enteric coated".  In my experience this will help greatly with eliminating the nasty fish burp.  Here's an example of a random brand I pulled off the net:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod2499520&CATID=100178&skuid=sku2498957&V=G&ec=frgl_900796&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2498957

Good luck.

Thanks............I'll have give them a try  ;D

Offline Rural_oz

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:55:55 pm »
Hi guys, I have just had my first lot of results back after going on meds and my cholesterol has gone through the roof (it always was quite high).  Can you give me a bit of advice (accepted it is non-medical) about how much flax seed you take and how.  Do you crush the seeds, soak them or just eat them whole?  I have tried adding a spoonful to my muesli and yoghurt this morning and they certainly were not offensive.  I would prefer not to add another pill to my morning gut rattling regime  ;)
Anyway, any advice would be grateful accepted.

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:06 pm »
Rural,

You can buy tablets/capsules from health food stores as well.
I actually buy bottles of it in liquid form and just add some to salads etc (it is much cheaper than the tablets).
Also, throwing the seeds themselves onto mueslei etc sounds like a good idea.

I can't give any advice on recommended doses though - seems like spoonfull or two a day will suffice from what others say.

It's a nice oil and not offensive at all, has higher concentrations of omega 3's than fish oil plus it also has omega 6 or 9, i think, plus some other goodies.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:12:27 pm »
Does anyone know the difference between taking Omega 3 via flax or via fish oil supplements?  Thanks.
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Rural_oz

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 12:47:53 am »
Thanks Merlin

Did you know that it has been proven that every single person that has died has breathed air.

Therefore air maybe a killer....    ::)

I think I might order in a pizza and some KFC and wash it down with a litre of white wine.  ;)

Offline fearless

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 02:30:25 am »
Does anyone know the difference between taking Omega 3 via flax or via fish oil supplements?  Thanks.

one is sourced from a fish that lives in the sea, the other from a plant.

you should check the type and source of the fish and whether the oil is tested for heavy metals like mercury etc. and, you only need to close your eyes and imagine for a moment the process of actually extractng the oil from the fish!!!

flax seed oil on teh other hand comes from a plant and also contains omega's 6 and 9 and has many other vitamins. it's pretty easy to find flax seed sourced from organically grown flax hand picked by virgins in white dresses.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
As with everything and anything, Moderation is key.  ;)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
one is sourced from a fish that lives in the sea, the other from a plant.

you should check the type and source of the fish and whether the oil is tested for heavy metals like mercury etc. and, you only need to close your eyes and imagine for a moment the process of actually extractng the oil from the fish!!!

flax seed oil on teh other hand comes from a plant and also contains omega's 6 and 9 and has many other vitamins. it's pretty easy to find flax seed sourced from organically grown flax hand picked by virgins in white dresses.

... closed my eyes ... and saw virgins in white dresses. 

They were dabbing at the sides of jewel toned goldfish ...with their lace hankies ... then rising en pointe and dancing over to a hand blown glass bottle and wringing out the oil.

(Serious sustiva envy here  ;))
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.