Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 07:01:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How forgiving is Isentress?  (Read 9860 times)

Offline Cliff

How forgiving is Isentress?
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:12:53 am »
Hi,

I was wondering how to guesstimate Isentress forgiving properties with regards to dosage?  Taken twice daily.

I know it's a function of half life, dosing, and molecular stuff!  Just a guesstimate of when it drops below theraputic levels in the blood after dosing.

Thank you

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: How forgiving is Isentress?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:16:03 am »
Just asked my current hiv doc this question.  Since I take it on a very flexible schedule but always 2x a day.  He said:  I can take the two pills one time a day if that is a way to reduce the possibility that I will miss the second dose. I said I don't miss the second.  He said, one time is OK because I've been undetectable for several years.  He said, its not the best of the drugs for sticking around, and so its better to stick to 2 different times, but he said my irregular schedule for those two times didn't matter much. 
Not very specific but thats the content of the conversation. Also he said that there is a "new" isentress formulation coming along eventually that is 1x a day. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47:53 am »
Also he said that there is a "new" isentress formulation coming along eventually that is 1x a day.

Really? What has he read that causes him to say that? The study done showed once daily dosing to be inferior. Or, does he have some other source of information?  http://www.aidsmap.com/page/1684212/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:00:40 pm by emeraldize »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:57 pm »
After a few days, Isentress is forgiving enough 2 x day not to worry about a few hours* over on a dose. This is because after 2-3 days of taking it the drug reaches a steady concentration in your body and basically all you are doing is keeping it topped up.  1 x day a sub-therapeutic concentration may be reached in less than 24 hours, because you are topping up once only and even in the same person the decline in concentration can vary from day to day.

Also, I'd be sharp on not missing more than one dose. Isentress has a long half life and is therefore subject to the same problem as efavirenz after several missed doses, namely hanging around at low levels and encouraging resistance. Except efavirenz offers a bigger buffer here (days perhaps). Isentress is a take it or lose it drug.

Hope this helps

- matt

* someone will now ask what 'a few hours' means
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 12:37:12 pm »
Really? What has he read that causes his to say that? The study done showed once daily dosing to be inferior. Or, does he have some other source of information?  http://www.aidsmap.com/page/1684212/
You have misread me or I was not clear?  My doc said there is new formulation in the pipeline, coming along, not on the market yet, of Isentress that will be 1x a day.  But maybe I misunderstood him.  Well I'll ask him again in 3 weeks when I need to call him about something.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:58:48 pm »
Thanks all.  Very helpful.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:03:21 pm »
You have misread me or I was not clear?  My doc said there is new formulation in the pipeline, coming along, not on the market yet, of Isentress that will be 1x a day.  But maybe I misunderstood him.  Well I'll ask him again in 3 weeks when I need to call him about something.

Hi Mecch,
Nope. I understood what you wrote. I wanted to know what he's read or heard that caused him to report this to you given the results of the once-daily dosing of Isentress being found to be inferior. I'm quite curious...whenever you get a chance I'll be interested.
Thanks.
Em

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:45 am »

My doc said there is new formulation in the pipeline, coming along, not on the market yet, of Isentress that will be 1x a day.  But maybe I misunderstood him.

It might be that you misunderstood him - he might have been talking about Dolutegravir which is in the same class as Isentress, but isn't new formulation of Isentress.

This drug is in the pipeline and most people will be able to take it once a day (unless there are Isentress resistance issues, then it's twice daily). Trials are currently in Phase III. My doctor is very excited about this new med.

Cliff, I just realised this is in the Living forum. I'll move it to Treatments.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 06:07:48 pm »
Hi,

I have never been able to get an answer from my Doc (nor any other) concerning my own combo about how forgiving it can be...

There is no really convincing 'data' since pharmaco-kinetics do not explain everything.

In order to provide a better 'efficiency' profiling of each drug, Shen and Siliciano have introduced a compounded IIP index that combines drug efficiency, clearance, residence, etc.
IIP = Instantaneous inhibitory potential

all the way down (at page 14) of the following article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2743464/

schematic A gives a pretty clear picture of how drugs compare to each other over time.

If you rate a flat line as 'rather forgiving' and a 'sharp slope' as not forgiving at all, you pretty much rank the meds as they are usually ranked by the word of mouth.

On this schematic EFV has a high IIP that remains flat
NVP (which I take) does not: it a a bit less forgving... The slope for Raltegravir (Insentress) is intermediate, but with a pretty low (also sufficient) IIP

This is for individual drugs. Coformulation and extended release can provide additionnal forgiveness. On top of that there are 3 drugs in your combo...

As an exemple, Indinavir has the steepest slope and indeed the aidsmeds drug profile says:
Crixivan can be taken either three times a day or twice a day

I think the above mentioned diagram is consistent with the comments/posts here above, and provides a very 'graphic' understanding of what you may be told about this matter.

Hope this helps

Eric
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:15:14 pm by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline laxdude01

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:13:46 am »
I started on the combo Isentress/Truvada in 3/2010 a little over a year after I tested HIV+.  My initial numbers were 15k/VL, 1030CD4.  I took my doctor's recommendation to start when I did, given after 15 month my CD4 dropped to 710... yes, above the CDC 500 threshold to begin meds... but her concern was with any possible organ damage research has been discovering affects those with even smaller amounts of virus in the body.

I had the common fears-- what about side effects?  what if I miss a dose?  I've never been good with consistently taking meds.  She told me this combo had low reports of side effects, but strict adherence is a must.. skipped or even late doses could be problematic.

I've surprised myself in being able to keep up pretty well with taking them regularly on time... I can't say I've been perfect.  Three times (that I can remember) I missed a dose... probably a dozen times I've been 4-8 hours late.  The times I've been late, I'd push ahead the next dose a few hours so as not to miss it, but still create enough space between them.

I've been very fortunate to have been seeing great results.  My VL went undetectable the next time labs were checked after beginning the meds.  As for the CD4 levels, they have done nothing but increase in that time... from when they were at 710 initially going on meds, to 1630 at my last blood draw two months ago.

My doctor had told me at the time I started treatment that this combo has had the greatest results when it comes to those who have gone through a long list of combos and never seeing their VL get to undetectable, prevalent amongst those with long-term diagnoses.  Apparently this drug has done that with a substantial number of them. 

So that's my story, for what it's worth.  I have no complaints whatsoever with the status quo and hope they continue to work for me for as long as possible.  Adherence is the best thing to keep that happening, so I'll continue to do my best to religiously take them on time.

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:56:40 am »
Hi,

I have never been able to get an answer from my Doc (nor any other) concerning my own combo about how forgiving it can be...

There is no really convincing 'data' since pharmaco-kinetics do not explain everything.

In order to provide a better 'efficiency' profiling of each drug, Shen and Siliciano have introduced a compounded IIP index that combines drug efficiency, clearance, residence, etc.
IIP = Instantaneous inhibitory potential

all the way down (at page 14) of the following article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2743464/

schematic A gives a pretty clear picture of how drugs compare to each other over time.

If you rate a flat line as 'rather forgiving' and a 'sharp slope' as not forgiving at all, you pretty much rank the meds as they are usually ranked by the word of mouth.

On this schematic EFV has a high IIP that remains flat
NVP (which I take) does not: it a a bit less forgving... The slope for Raltegravir (Insentress) is intermediate, but with a pretty low (also sufficient) IIP

This is for individual drugs. Coformulation and extended release can provide additionnal forgiveness. On top of that there are 3 drugs in your combo...

As an exemple, Indinavir has the steepest slope and indeed the aidsmeds drug profile says:
Crixivan can be taken either three times a day or twice a day

I think the above mentioned diagram is consistent with the comments/posts here above, and provides a very 'graphic' understanding of what you may be told about this matter.

Hope this helps

Eric

Interesting reading, especially figure 4A.
Thanks for sharing.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.