Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SSDI REVIEW  (Read 11167 times)

Offline brooklynpoz

• My Babies, Pepper (8) & Rocko (3)
SSDI REVIEW
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:22:02 pm »
Hi Everyone ,

I read about being reviewed for SSDI, and I have a few questions that maybe you can help me understand.

Does the SSA pick and choose what cases to be reviewed. I say that , because a friend of mine has been on SSDI for 9 years, and never got a review, and his 1st award letter said " 3 years 'til a review".

Others have told me it is standard to be reviewed, but, with HIV, they continue your benefits. And some have said, if you are better than you were when you first applied, they will deny your benefits.

So this is why I am confused , there are so many different scenario's.

Please advise and thank you in advance,

Frankie
Diagnosed, Monday,  8/9/2004, 1ST year was ruff , now I am well adjusted .
Current Med's ; Kaletra & Truvada
Undetecable,<48 ,  531 tcells, 21%
Keeping the faith, that they will get a cure in our lifetime.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Dan J.

Re: SSDI REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 06:56:51 pm »
Reviewing your medical condition All people receiving disability benefits must have their medical conditions reviewed from time to time. Your benefits will continue unless there is strong proof that your condition has improved medically and that you are able to return to work.

Frequency of reviews
How often your medical condition is reviewed depends on how severe it is and the likelihood it will improve. Your award notice tells you when you can expect your first review.

Medical improvement expected—if your condition is expected to improve within a specific time, your first review will be six to 18 months after you ­started getting disability benefits.
Improvement possible—if improvement in your medical condition is possible, your case will be reviewed about every three years.
Improvement not expected—if your medical condition is unlikely to improve, your case will be reviewed only about once every five to seven years.
What happens during a review?
We will send you a letter telling you that we are conducting a review. Soon after that, someone from your local Social Security office will contact you to explain the review process and your appeal rights. The Social Security representative will ask you to provide information about your medical treatment and any work that you may have done.

A team consisting of a disability examiner and a doctor will review your file and request your medical reports. You may be asked to have a special examination. We will pay for the examination and some of your transportation costs.

When a decision is made, we will send you a letter. If we decide that you still are disabled, your benefits will continue.

If we decide you no longer are disabled and you ­disagree, you can file an appeal. If you decide not to appeal the decision, your benefits will stop three months after we decide that your disability ended.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10153.html#6

You can call Social Security @ 1-888-325-0778 & they can tell you when your next review is. I just talked to them about myself. I am sceduled for for my next review in 2010. Or every 7 years+.  the best way to find out about your specific case would be to call them or go by your local Social Security office.

Hope this helps.

Dan

PS: Your little puppy dog is precious!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:11:11 pm by Dan J. »

Offline brooklynpoz

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 07:43:52 am »
Hi Dan ,

Thank you for the information. I did read that on the s.s. web site .
I will call the number you gave me and see what's up.

Will 2010 be your 1st review? What are the chances of an HIV+ person being denied?
My #'s have been in the same ball park as they were when I was approved for SSDI.
I still battle with fatigue, bouts of depression, etc.

Let me know, and the puppy sends a little kiss   :-*
Frankie
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Dan J.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:49:07 am »
2010 will be my first medical review since I started drawing SSDI in 2003.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 08:46:24 pm »
Hey Frankie,

I have just over 11 years of SSDI, SSA or one of the SS's and have never been reviewed.  This question has been raised by other Forum members in the past and apparently some are reviewed.

I would question the thought process of the government if they expected a perso who has been on disablity for X number of years to re-enter the job market and get a job with a hole in employment history.  Masybe it is a joke but I do not believe the SSA has a sense of humor that they are aware of.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline brooklynpoz

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:02 am »
Hello again everyone,

I called social security ( 1-800-772-1213), and was told, that my review will be done in Feb. 2009.

I asked what will happen, and the woman said, I will be sent a form to fill out with a few questions, and to mail it back.
If and only if, they require more info, they will contact me, otherwise, my SSDI will continue.
I asked what are the chances of an HIV+ person being denied and told to return to work, and she said, that only applies to people who are on SSDI conditions that get better in time, or are not chronic, examples she gave me are, hip surgery, back surgery, etc.
I even asked her how long has see been working at social security, and she said 19 years, and NEVER saw anyone that is HIV+ being denied after their review, and for me not to worry at all.

That made me feel much better, I was worried to be honest. :)

Anyway , I want to thank everyone for your assistance with this.

Frankie
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:23:41 am »
I am glad you recieved the answers to your questions.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.