Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:30:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 219
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 96243 times)

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
Recipe Thread
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:12 pm »
hey everyone, I thought this would be a good place to put this. I'm looking to cook some new things, so I thought maybe we could all post and share are favorite recipes =)

(and just a random idea that I thought was nifty that popped in my head has anyone thought about putting a recipe book together and selling it online to raise money for one of the wonderful hiv causes out there? or maybe you guys could use to raise money for people who can't afford to make the meet and greets...just an idea..)

April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:18:47 am »

Frosted Flakes with chocolate milk, it's good trust me.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:56:10 am »

Frosted Flakes with chocolate milk, it's good trust me.

Well I have to say I'm disappointed in you Skeets. I was expecting you to post a recipe for 'possum or squirrel melts or the like.

I guess I better post one.

Kangaroo Tail Soup

1 kangaroo tail, skinned, trimmed of sinew and cut into joints
60g pearled barley, well washed
3 large brown onions
2 bay leaves
3-4 carrots
2 blades mace
2 swedes (though turnips will do)
1 whole nutmeg
3-4 stalks celery
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons fat (dripping not lard)
Cayene pepper to taste
3 litres stock or water (not fish stock!)
150ml dry red wine
Chopped parsley

Peel and cut the vegetables into rough pieces. Melt dripping in a large saucepan. Add vegetables and allow to cook slowly without browning for 10 minutes. Add the tail joints, stock, barley, bay leaves, mace and nutmeg. Bring to boil and simmer slowly for 2-3 hours.

Cool and remove any scum or fat from the surface, then strain. Returned to washed saucepan, season to taste with salt and cayene and bring to just boiling, then add wine, but do not boil again. Serve with chopped parsley.

Ox tail can be substituted in macropod deprived regions.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:06:34 am »
Serves 4 ...A good Hot Game Alcohol Main Course from Australia.

Ingredients

4 x 200g/7oz Crocodile or Alligator Fillets
 2 tbsp Lime Juice
 2 Spring Onions, chopped
25g/1oz Butter
1 teasp Olive Oil
12g/1/2 oz Fresh Rosemary Needles
 60ml/2fl.oz. Dry Vermouth
120ml/4fl.oz. Fish Stock
60ml/2fl.oz. Single Cream
Salt and Black Pepper

Instructions

1. Season the crocodile fillets with salt and pepper.

2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan until very hot, add the fillets and dry fry  for 2 minutes on each side.

3. Sprinkle with the lime juice, set aside and keep warm.

4. Heat butter in another frying pan, add the spring onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes.

5. Add the rosemary and  vermouth and boil rapidly until reduced by 2/3rds.

6. Add the cream and reheat until hot but not boiling.

7. Season with salt and pepper then strain into a sauce boat.

8. To serve - transfer the meat to a warmed platter and pour the sauce over the top. Serve immediately.

I've never made this but I have eaten it, and it's delicious.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:25:47 am »
Well I have to say I'm disappointed in you Skeets. I was expecting you to post a recipe for 'possum or squirrel melts or the like.

Fuck man, I guess with this kind of pressure it's time to give up my families' century old recipe for 'possum on the grill.  BTW when I say century it means 5 years,  here it goes:

1 'possum or raccoon (your choice)
1 bell pepper
1 red onion
1 can of tomato sauce
2 sprigs of thyme
1 2x4 (12 inches long which still means 1 foot)

Take the varmint and place it on the 2x4, then cover with all the rest of the ingredients.  Don't forget to salt and pepper thouroughly!  Wrap it all in aluminum foil and cook on the grill for roughly 4 hours.  Take everything off the heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes (learnt dis from Bobby Flay).  After 5 minutes are done, unwrap everything.  At this time you want to carefully discard the rodent to the garbage can and eat the 2x4.

For desert have a bowl of Frosted Flakes with chocolate milk.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:05 am »
Fuck man, I guess with this kind of pressure it's time to give up my families' century old recipe for 'possum on the grill.  BTW when I say century it means 5 years,  here it goes:

1 'possum or raccoon (your choice)
1 bell pepper
1 red onion
1 can of tomato sauce
2 sprigs of thyme
1 2x4 (12 inches long which still means 1 foot)

Take the varmint and place it on the 2x4, then cover with all the rest of the ingredients.  Don't forget to salt and pepper thouroughly!  Wrap it all in aluminum foil and cook on the grill for roughly 4 hours.  Take everything off the heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes (learnt dis from Bobby Flay).  After 5 minutes are done, unwrap everything.  At this time you want to carefully discard the rodent to the garbage can and eat the 2x4.

For desert have a bowl of Frosted Flakes with chocolate milk.

Nice. Possum you trap yourself or will roadkill do?

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:38 am »

MtD

Road kill is better it's already tenderised and skinned, well for the most part... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:37:51 am »

MtD

As long as your 2x4 is fresh it doesn't really matter. ::)

You can make cornbread like this as a side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOiVfZpba0

(sorry I don't have the recipe)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:29:51 am »
post and share are favorite recipes
none of my Yankee friends ever made this, but after I moved home my Mom made this. now I get her to make it once a month and I whip up a pan of cornbread to go with it.

Bean and Bacon Coleslaw

Ingredients
10 slices bacon
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (15 ounce) can cooked kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups fresh shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash black pepper

Directions
1 Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, cool and crumble bacon; set aside.
2 In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mayonnaise and white sugar.
3 In another bowl mix bacon, kidney beans, cabbage, celery, parsley and onion together, and season with salt and pepper.
4 Pour mayo dressing mixture over vegetables and toss to coat.
5 Chill 1 hour before serving.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 05:41:50 am »
Something simple, cheap and fast: ;)

Hummus
------------

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1 can liquid from can of chickpeas *
1 tbl spoon of honey** (if you prefer a sweeter hummus)
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:

Add chickpeas (with its liquid) and combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.

Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Sprinkle with Paprika and garnish with parsley (optional).

Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.
Variations

For a spicier hummus, add a sliced red chile or a dash of cayenne pepper.

Storing Hummus

Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and can be kept in the freezer for up to one month. Add a little olive oil if it appears to be too dry.

* You can substitute with plain yoghurt (nice taste too) if you want a thicker paste but I experimented and it's too thick.
** I use an Oligosaccharide sugar syrup to sweeten the hummus. Raw honey will do just fine.
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:31:49 am »
Yep, its summer so don't you want to eat Mediterranean!   

Anything Greek and cold tasted good.  Or gazpacho.  Or, as above, hummus and tabbouleh.

Here's a beach snack from India I live for:  Bhel Puri

Its cool and light and wonderful and even better if you have a mango lassi with it.

http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetariansnacks/r/bhelpuri.htm

A snack with almost iconic status in Western India, bhelpuri is low-fat, nutritious and delicious! What more can one ask for? This recipe serves two. Assemble bhelpuri just before you're going to eat it to prevent the puffed rice from getting soggy.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 3 cups puffed rice (available at Indian stores)
    * A handful of roasted and salted peanuts
    * 2 potatoes boiled, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes
    * 1 large onion chopped fine
    * 1 large tomato chopped fine
    * Half a bunch of coriander chopped fine (approximately 50 gms/ 0.10 lbs)
    * 2 green chillies chopped fine
    * Tamarind chutney to taste
    * Mint-coriander chutney to taste
    * A handful of coarsely crushed papdi (savoury biscuits made from flour)
    * 1 cup sev (vermicelli-like snack made from gram flour and available at Indian stores)

Preparation:

* Mix the puffed rice, peanuts, potato, onion, tomato, coriander and green chillies together in a large bowl.
    * Add the tamarind chutney and mint-coriander chutney according to your own taste preferences (that's the beauty of bhelpuri!), mix well, garnish with plenty of sev and papdi. Serve and eat immediately.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:48:18 am »
Yep, its summer so don't you want to eat Mediterranean!   

Anything Greek and cold tasted good.  Or gazpacho.  Or, as above, hummus and tabbouleh.

Here's a beach snack from India I live for:  Bhel Puri

Its cool and light and wonderful and even better if you have a mango lassi with it.

http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetariansnacks/r/bhelpuri.htm

A snack with almost iconic status in Western India, bhelpuri is low-fat, nutritious and delicious! What more can one ask for? This recipe serves two. Assemble bhelpuri just before you're going to eat it to prevent the puffed rice from getting soggy.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 3 cups puffed rice (available at Indian stores)
    * A handful of roasted and salted peanuts
    * 2 potatoes boiled, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes
    * 1 large onion chopped fine
    * 1 large tomato chopped fine
    * Half a bunch of coriander chopped fine (approximately 50 gms/ 0.10 lbs)
    * 2 green chillies chopped fine
    * Tamarind chutney to taste
    * Mint-coriander chutney to taste
    * A handful of coarsely crushed papdi (savoury biscuits made from flour)
    * 1 cup sev (vermicelli-like snack made from gram flour and available at Indian stores)

Preparation:

* Mix the puffed rice, peanuts, potato, onion, tomato, coriander and green chillies together in a large bowl.
    * Add the tamarind chutney and mint-coriander chutney according to your own taste preferences (that's the beauty of bhelpuri!), mix well, garnish with plenty of sev and papdi. Serve and eat immediately.

No favoured fondue recipe to share with us?

MtD

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 08:44:48 am »
Your wish is my command Matty. Here's 3 if you crave cheese like me. Since some handle spirits better than others, I substituted beer for those less inclined and without for those more sobering in taste. Enjoy ! ;)

Mexican Cheese Fondue Recipe   :P
------------------------------------------
20 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
Scant 3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 1/4 cups beer
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
6-8 fresh chilies, seeded and minced
1/2 bell pepper, seeded and minced
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Shred the cheese and toss together with the flour, cumin and paprika. Set aside.

Heat the beer over high heat in a medium, heavy saucepan. When very hot, add the lemon juice, chilies, bell pepper, and tomato. Gradually add the cheese mixture, stirring, until it is melted and smooth. Add the salt and transfer to a warm ceramic fondue pot.

Serve with skewered pre-cooked meatballs and tortilla chips or rolled tortillas, which can be dipped by hand. Serves 6.

=======

Herb and Cream Cheese Fondue Recipe  ;D
-----------------------------------------------------
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 to 1 1/2 cups light cream

In a large, heavy, non-stick skillet, sauté the garlic in the olive oil, just until tender. Add the cream cheese, and continue cooking on low heat, stirring, until the cheese is smooth and melted. Gradually stir in the cream, a little at a time, until the mixture reaches the right consistency for dipping. (It thickens as it cools.) Add the parsley, oregano and basil, and continue cooking for two or three minutes to let the herb flavors blend. Transfer to a warm ceramic fondue pot.

Serve with cooked, shelled shrimp (prawns) and/or scallops, tortellini and crusty French bread, cubed.

Note: A cream cheese fondue recipe can be made a day ahead and refrigerated, but you will need to add more cream before serving; it invariably thickens when chilled. Shrimp and scallops cook quickly and dry easily when overcooked, however, so it's best to prepare them shortly before serving this fondue recipe. Serves 6.

=========

Classic Cheese Fondue  8)
------------------------------
Traditionally, fondue is made with a blend of Swiss Emmentaler and Gruyere cheeses. Emmentaler is very mild and Gruyere, especially well-aged Gruyere, is very pungent. A half and half mixture is pleasing to most, but feel free to adjust the proportions to your liking.

2 tablespoons cornstarch or potato flour
1/4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy)
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 cups dry, white wine
12 ounces shredded Emmentaler cheese
12 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Combine the cornstarch and kirsch. Set aside.

Slice the garlic in half lengthwise and rub the cut side over the inside of a medium, heavy saucepan. Discard the garlic. Pour the wine into the saucepan and bring it to a boil over a medium-high heat. Immediately reduce the heat to low. Add the cheese to the wine by handfuls and stir slowly until the cheese is just melted. (Stirring in a figure-8 or zigzag motion prevents the cheese from clumping.)

Stir in the cornstarch mixture, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer for two or three minutes until it begins to thicken, but do not let it boil. Transfer to a warmed ceramic fondue pot and serve immediately. Keep warm over a very low flame.

This original/traditional cheese fondue recipe is still best served with the original dipper; serve with 2 to 3 loaves of crusty French bread, cut into 1" cubes. Serves 6.

Variations:

After seasoning the saucepan with garlic, sauté either 2 cloves of garlic or 2 shallots, finely chopped, in 1 tablespoon of butter and proceed with the recipe.

Tip: Purchase a trial-size bottle of kirsch if you feel the remains of a full bottle will just sit on the shelf.
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 09:48:37 am »

Fuck man, I guess with this kind of pressure it's time to give up my families' century old recipe for 'possum on the grill.  BTW when I say century it means 5 years, 

~giggle~  ;D

I guess you don't need to break out the toothpicks after that meal!

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:10 am »

During the Summer months I like to make food that won't weigh you down.   I may have shared this recipe before and will do so once again until someone comes back and says they tried it.  My wife and I do lunch at Panara Bread sometimes and I compied their recipe after having this dish there.

BBQ Salad

Romaine lettuce
  1 can corn (drained & rinsed)
  1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
  2 chicken breasts
  Tortilla strips
   Ranch dressing
   BBQ sauce

I use Fresh Gourmet brand tortilla strips.  I started with using the multi colored ones because that's how the restaurant did it, but found the Santa Fe variety to be much better on this creation.  I use Kraft's Honey Smoke BBQ sauce, it has a really good taste for this salad.

I marinade the diced chicken breast in Italian Salad dressing before hand with some added garlic salt and black pepper.

You want to mix the Ranch dressing with the bbq sauce, I use about a 4:1 ratio.

Toss the chicken breast in a dry hot frying pan (marinade on chicken will provide enough oil).  You want to scorch it, basically cooking the wetness of the marinade off.  After your done with the chicken toss the corn in the pan for a few minutes until roasted nicely, take out and put to the side to cool.  Now do the same with the blackbeans.

Now it's assembly time...  Place a layer of romaine in a dish,  Top with chicken, black beans, corn, and tortilla strips.  Drizzle very lightly with a little of the plain bbq sauce over this layer.  Now top that with  same as before, but this time don't drizzle the bbq sauce over it.  Top with the ranch dressing/bbq sauce mixture and enjoy.

I know this doesn't sound all that appealling, but trust me it is unbelievably good!  When I go to restaurants I never order the same thing twice and that's the only reason I chanced upon this recipe, there was nothing left on the menu I hadn't tried.  When I used to make it I would have to make my family an entirely different meal because they just couldn't see past the name I guess, not no more though.  They all get excited now when I make this dish.  It's simple, fast, and cheap, along with packing heaps of flavor!  Don't knock it till ya try it, it is so good.

I have an exceptionally good recipe for bouillabaisse handed down from my mother's side of the family, but I am scared to share stuff like that... might get struck by lightening.  It's nothing short of an orgasm of the mouth, no lie!

~giggle~  ;D

I guess you don't need to break out the toothpicks after that meal!

Haha, good catch... no toothpicks required! ;D

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 10:37:03 am »
No favoured fondue recipe to share with us?

MtD

Some real swiss will eat raclette or fondue in the summer but for me stinking molten cheese is more a winter delight!

There are some summer cheese things -- a grilled round of cheese with arugula salad but that cheese doesn't make it out of Switzerland, I think. (Tomme Vaudoise)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:40:19 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 11:44:37 am »
I may have shared this recipe before and will do so once again until someone comes back and says they tried it.
That was back in Feb in your Panara Bread BBQ Salad thread. damn dude! :o I'm so sorry I never got back to you on that one. It was excellent! ;D We've done it 2 or 3 times since. Matter of fact it's time for it again, now that you mention it.

Hey Ravhyn, there were a couple other recipes in that old thread too.
I offered a black bean corn salsa, and Skeebo had a good dill sauce

black bean corn salsa
1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained
1 lg can corn kernels
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
Salt and pepper

toss, refrigerate for several hrs to marinade.
serve chilled with blue Tortilla chips to use as scoops

If you like salmon you should try this some time.  It is one of the first meals I use to like to charm the ladies with when I would cook for them.

1-8 oz sour cream
 1/2 bunch of dill
   Juice from one lemon
  1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
  2 tablespoons horseradish

Mix all ingredients together.  Char your lightly salted/peppered salmon on both sides in some olive oil being sure not to over cook.  Plate it and spoon a little of the sauce over the top and serve with a bed of wild greens.  Really good stuff!

somewhere in the annals of time are some more recipe threads cause I remember us talking about cornbread and the muffins I used to bake (based on the friendship bread recipe). However searching for the word "recipe" here got a lot of hits for "recipe for disaster" :o which I don't think any of us really wants to be baking up. :D ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 11:46:26 am »
I'll have to try some of these out

Leatherman those look yummy =)

Skeebo, I think I will pass on the possum I may live in the south..but even that's too much for me lol. 
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 03:43:55 pm »
Some real swiss will eat raclette or fondue in the summer but for me stinking molten cheese is more a winter delight!

There are some summer cheese things -- a grilled round of cheese with arugula salad but that cheese doesn't make it out of Switzerland, I think. (Tomme Vaudoise)

It is winter.

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:26 pm »
Skeebo, I think I will pass on the possum I may live in the south..but even that's too much for me lol. 

I just read today that you live near or on the Tennessee/Kentucky border.  I was born in Union City and have a ton of family in Dresden.  I grew up in Miami though because my mother found better opportunities for herself being a single parent (father committed suicide before I was born).

Anyhow, here is my baked ham with maple mustard sauce recipe:

1 8-10 pound fully cooked bone-in ham
Whole cloves

1 cup whole-grain Dijon mustard
1/3 cup golden brown sugar
2 table spoons maple syrup

Score top of ham into diamonds and stud center of each diamond with a clove (just push it into scored diamond points).  Place in pan and cook at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours.  The diamonds will open up during cooking and the cloves should remain in place.

In a bowl combine the mustard, brown sugar, and maple syrup.  Remove ham from oven and pour entire mixture over it.  Place back in oven and cook for about 30 additional minutes or until golden brown.  It will form a great crust.

Damn stuff is good as hell..

You can make a side sauce to compliment by mixing a 1/2 cup of Dijon and 1/4 cup of maple syrup.

It's good for the holidays, make this and your family will want it every year.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 04:29:37 pm »
You lazy motherfuckers. What's with all the salads?

I was going to post a pavlova recipe but that only starts fights with New Zealanders who seem to think they invented it. They did not. They are filthy liars.

Instead the classic Australian cake - Lamingtons!

All weights, measures and temperatures are in proper metric/celsius not the superannuated imperial system. If you need to know how many hogheads are in a tonne - ask google.

Lamingtons

Lamingtons are cubey-squarish pieces of sponge cake covered all over in chocolate icing and then rolled in dessicated coconut. They form the principle product of the great Australian charitable effort known as the lamington drive.

I can vouch that the following is the traditional recipe.

The sponge cake:

3 tablespoons self-raising flour
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tablespoons cornflour (wheaten cornflour NOT corn cornflour)
3 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup caster sugar
3 teaspoons boiling water

The chocolate icing:

2 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
1 3/4 cups desiccated coconut

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a deep 28 x 18 cm lamington pan with melted butter and line the base and sides of the pan with nonstick baking paper, allowing a 5 cm overhang (this makes it easier to remove the sponge from the pan).

Sift the two flours and cornflour together. Repeat the sifting process five times (this will aerate the flour thoroughly).

Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and salt in a large mixing bowl for 6 minutes, or until pale and thick. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until the mixture is thick and the sugar is dissolved.

Sift the combined flour mixture over the egg mixture. Add the boiling water and gently fold in until the batter is just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 15–18 minutes, or until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan. Cover with foil and stand overnight.

Lift the cake from the pan. Trim the edges and cut the sponge into 5 cm squares.

To make the chocolate icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in the boiling water and mix well to combine.

Place the coconut in a medium bowl. Using two forks, dip the sponge squares, one at a time, into the warm icing and then roll in the coconut. (If the icing begins to thicken, place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until it is warm and thin again.)

Place the lamingtons on a wire rack lined with nonstick baking paper for 1 hour to set.

Some people like to fill lammos with jam and cream. This is an appalling heresy. Delicious but utterly non traditional and would get you drummed out of the Country Womens' Association.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 04:38:11 pm »
You lazy motherfuckers. What's with all the salads?
because it is Summer in America  ;D
and it's hotter than fuck to actually cook anything - unless it's outside on the grill. ;)
(Check out Philly's thread about the heatwave this Summer ;) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 04:51:05 pm »
because it is Summer in America  ;D
and it's hotter than fuck to actually cook anything - unless it's outside on the grill. ;)
(Check out Philly's thread about the heatwave this Summer ;) )

I read that whiney thread. You people know nothing of summer.

The proudest Australian tradition is a proper christmas dinner served in the middle of the day during the height of a blazing Australian summer.

All cooked indoors.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 05:50:53 pm »
I'm going to bake a blueberry pie tomorrow, and yes I make the crust from scratch.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 08:34:59 pm »
I read that whiney thread. You people know nothing of summer.

The proudest Australian tradition is a proper christmas dinner served in the middle of the day during the height of a blazing Australian summer.

All cooked indoors.

MtD

You call that a holiday tradition?  Child's play.

We like to celebrate ours with a good blazing turkey fryer fire.

More fire.

More. . . .

And another.  I love this stuff.   ;D
It's a complex world

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 08:45:40 pm »
You call that a holiday tradition?  Child's play.

We like to celebrate ours with a good blazing turkey fryer fire.

More fire.

More. . . .

And another.  I love this stuff.   ;D

In the Name of the Invisible Pink Unicorn (BBHHH)! What sort of degenerates deep fry a fucking turkey?  :o

MtD

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »
I've been tryiing to eat more veggies and this is a recipe I love:

Green Bean Casserole:
1 (10 3/4 oz can) Cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp soul food seasoning
1/8 tsp onion powder
1-1/3 cup French's French Fried Onions
16 oz pkg frozen cut gree beans, thawed

Mix souo and milk, then add pepper, soul food seasoning, onion powder, beans and 2/3 cup of french fried onions in 1-1/2 quart casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 30 mins -- Stir - Top with remaining french fried onions - enjoy

This goes great with pork chops, steak or chicken

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 09:11:38 pm »
Green Bean Casserole
mmmm, this one's always good. ;)
during my bachelor years, this has been the dish that I supply for the Turkey Day feast ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 09:26:35 pm »
I've been tryiing to eat more veggies and this is a recipe I love:

Green Bean Casserole:
1 (10 3/4 oz can) Cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp soul food seasoning
1/8 tsp onion powder
1-1/3 cup French's French Fried Onions
16 oz pkg frozen cut gree beans, thawed

Mix souo and milk, then add pepper, soul food seasoning, onion powder, beans and 2/3 cup of french fried onions in 1-1/2 quart casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 30 mins -- Stir - Top with remaining french fried onions - enjoy

This goes great with pork chops, steak or chicken

My sister use to make this for Christmas dinner.  I forgot all about it and will add it to mine this year.  Thx...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 10:39:11 am »
Green Bean Casserole is nasty and made by Satan, generally in a trailer park.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:15 am »
Green Bean Casserole is nasty and made by Satan, generally in a trailer park.

So I guess you guys don't want my tater tot casserole recipe  :-[
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 11:09:47 am »
mmmm tater tots :-*
I have a recipe for a casserole that uses frozen hash browns ;)
(I love potatoes in ANY form)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 11:20:22 am »

(I love potatoes in ANY form)

Even couch potatoes?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:08 am »
Does it have ground beef in it?  I had that once back in college -- my roommate's mother brought it and it was actually kind of tasty, as I love tater tots and sometimes buy them.

Generally Miss P shuns casseroles... they're just so horribly plebeian.  The exception being my festive holiday roasted root vegetable medley, but you know nobody does that.  Oh, and I also do a gruyere garlic potato gratin at Christmas.  Always a winner.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 11:35:31 am »
Does it have ground beef in it?  I had that once back in college -- my roommate's mother brought it and it was actually kind of tasty, as I love tater tots and sometimes buy them.

Generally Miss P shuns casseroles... they're just so horribly plebeian.  The exception being my festive holiday roasted root vegetable medley, but you know nobody does that.  Oh, and I also do a gruyere garlic potato gratin at Christmas.  Always a winner.

Yes it has ground beef and sour cream , onion and cheese . I used to make it for my nephew who was fussy eater . I think of it as comfort food when I'm sick of everything else . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »
Skeebo, ditch that avatar its absolutely terrifying!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 03:45:32 pm »
Even couch potatoes?
mmmm couch potato wedges :D :D

1 (24-ounce) package frozen potato wedges
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 (8-ounce) package (2 cups) deli cheddar cheese, shredded
8 slices crisply cooked bacon, crumbled

Bake potato wedges according to package directions.
Immediately sprinkle with green onions, cheese and bacon. Continue baking until cheese is melted (1 to 2 minutes).
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 03:51:15 pm »
Currently having thin-sliced jamón serrano and a bit of Cabot Clothbound cheddar.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 03:53:33 pm »
Currently having thin-sliced jamón serrano and a bit of Cabot Clothbound cheddar.

Some ham and cheese, eh?

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:46 pm »
Some ham and cheese, eh?

MtD

A bit more than just that, my dearest.  Should I pop open the bottle of Gigondas?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »
A bit more than just that, my dearest.  Should I pop open the bottle of Gigondas?

Sure. Shall I fetch the paper cups?

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 04:01:42 pm »
Sure. Shall I fetch the paper cups?

MtD

Please, I was going to treat you to my iittala decanter and the lead crystal art deco heirloom glasses that I got from Gran Gran.  Well, the decanter wasn't hers... Finnish items are much too fancy for a Southern old lady.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 04:05:00 pm »
I heard that was made by Satan's minions and served in subdivisions of trailer parks?   ::)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 04:05:22 pm »
Skeebo, ditch that avatar its absolutely terrifying!

Already done, I took my picture off yesterday.

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 04:10:57 pm »
Zomg, I am loving the recipes.  I hate getting them out of cookbooks, half the time they never come out right. But getting them from people who have cooked them time in and time out proves to be more useful. 

My husband is gonna be in heaven and get fat LOL. (by army standards he's underweight) 

and I tried the deep fried turkey once...my ex husband just had to have it.  I wasn't a fan, in fact I intentionally started a thanksgiving day food fight too get out of eating it LOL. 
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 04:27:34 pm »
Scones. No recipe thinger is complete without a scone recipe. Scone making is generally a dark art but the following recipe produces perfect scones everytime.

Note: the lemonade referred to is the clear bubbly sort. Y'know, proper lemonade not that nasty cloudy yellowish shit. I don't know if proper lemonade is available in the US. 7-UP is a good approximation.

Don't use low-joule/diet lemonade.

A word on pronunciation: Scone rhymes with "john".

Lemonade Scones

3 cups of self-raising flour
1 cup of lemonade
1 cup of cream

Mix ingredients together with a knife.

Turn dough out onto a floured board and cut scones using a scone cutter, place scones onto floured tray.

Cook in oven at 210 degrees celsius for 10 minutes or until tops of scones are slightly browned.

This recipe produces seriously good scones which are not at all sweet. Serve warm with jam and cream.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 04:57:15 pm »
One can find a suitable Sicilian lemon frizzante at Wegman's.  I'm also a HUGE fan of their blood orange, and indeed I have a bottle of each in the fridge at the moment.  I have to stock up when I go home to my parents as there is no Wegman's in downtown Filthydelfia.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 06:48:05 pm »
With all this great food, we must have something to wash it down...

Sangria was brought to the Americas by the Spaniards.  It was given to travelers along the El Camino Real in California at 21 missions from San Diego to Monterrey.   The missions were built 1 or 2 traveling days apart and rooms were kept ready at the missions, where the best food and wine were served, much like Motel 6.

Cousin Irma's Sangria

1 Gallon Red Wine Burgandy
2 oz. Orange Liquor
2 oz. Rum
1 Large bottle Soda or Mineral Water
4 Lemons

Pour the wine into a glass pitcher
Slice the 4 Lemons, add to the wine
Place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight   
Add the Rum, the Mineral Water or Soda

Add bite size chunks of Peaches, Pineapple, Oranges, Papayas (whatever you like)
Optional:  You can substitute Champagne for the Soda or Mineral Water   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 07:05:53 pm »
Now we could have some desert:

Tequila Mayonnaise Cake

1 bottle Jose Cuervo 1800
1-3/4 Cup all-purpose Flour
1 cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Cocoa
1-1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1-1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/8 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Cup Water
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Instructions:

1. Test the quality of the Tequila (pour yourself a shot)
Heat oven to 350 F, retest the quality of the Tequila (pour yourself another shot)
Grease and flour 13"x9"x2" baking pan. What about that Tequila (pour yourself another shot)

2.  Stir together Flour, Sugar, Cocoa, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and salt in a large bowl.  Retest the Tequila (pour yourself another shot)
Add Mayonnaise, Water, and Vanilla;  How is that Tequila? (pour yourself another shot)
Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer 3 minutes (pour yourself another shot)  Damn that Tequila hits the spot

3.  Bake 45- 50 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.  Restes the Tequila (pour yourself another shot)  Cool cake for 10 minutes and remove from pan.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 07:16:14 pm »
With all this great food, we must have something to wash it down...

Sangria was brought to the Americas by the Spaniards.  It was given to travelers along the El Camino Real in California at 21 missions from San Diego to Monterrey.   The missions were built 1 or 2 traveling days apart and rooms were kept ready at the missions, where the best food and wine were served, much like Motel 6.

Cousin Irma's Sangria

1 Gallon Red Wine Burgandy
2 oz. Orange Liquor
2 oz. Rum
1 Large bottle Soda or Mineral Water
4 Lemons

Pour the wine into a glass pitcher
Slice the 4 Lemons, add to the wine
Place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight   
Add the Rum, the Mineral Water or Soda

Add bite size chunks of Peaches, Pineapple, Oranges, Papayas (whatever you like)
Optional:  You can substitute Champagne for the Soda or Mineral Water   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

I've tried making Sangria a handful of times but I just can NOT get it right

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.