Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:01:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 617
Total: 620

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I just tested positive for HIV and hepatitis B  (Read 8712 times)

Offline justfoundout

I just tested positive for HIV and hepatitis B
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:58:23 pm »
is there anyone on here that has the same co-infection?  I feel lost- any information regarding treatments and more would be greatly appreciated. I am feeling really scared and overwhelmed- i don't know where to start.  Thanks

Offline PositivelyYours

Re: I just tested positive for HIV and hepatitis B
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 07:23:20 pm »
Hello,

I am sorry that you tested positive for HIV and Hep B.  I tested positive for Hep B in 1995 at which time I was not HIV Positive.  I tested Positive for HIV on August 10, 2006.  Although both of these diseases are frightening, You can live.  Just remember to take care of yourself and listening to what your doctor tell you.  Do you have an Infectious Disease Doctor?  Have you started treatment for the Hep B?
PositivelyYours

Diagnosed: 08/10/2006
08/31/06 CD4:240/VL:39,000
09/12/06 CD4:359/VL:50,000
11/16/06 CD4:509/VL:76,000 (Flu Shot)
02/13/07 CD4:270/VL:69,000
02/17/07 Developed the Shingles
02/20/07 CD4:326/VL (Not Tested)
03/20/07 CD4:484/VL:54,000
06/19/07 CD4:488/VL:51,000
09/18/07 CD4:372/VL:27,000
10/09/07 Took Flu Shot
12/18/07 CD4:408/VL:85,000
03/18/08 CD4:394/VL:116,000 (Still No Meds)
05/22/08 CD4:412/VL:63,000
08/13/08 CD4:362/VL:67,000
09/23/08 Took Flu Shot
10/15/08 CD4:340/VL:54,000
11/14/08 Started Atripla @ 9:45 p.m.
1/30/09 CD4:641/VL:<48 Copies
5/07/09 CD4:667/VL: Undetectable
12/02/09 CD4:759/VL: Undetectable
03/05/10 CD4:537/VL: Undetectable
03/16/10 Rec'd TB Skin Test, Pneumonia & Hep B Vac
04/15/10 Hep B & Tetanus Vac
6/10 CD4: 748 VL: Undet.

Offline bkrason

Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:03:36 pm »
gg
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:47:27 pm by bkrason »

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 06:39:50 am »
I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, Where to start? It already has, you can and will live with it, take one step at a time, and things will work out.
I will arrive at my first year after diagnosis at the end of November, it’s still not good, but it’s getting better.

All the best to you.

John(UK)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:42:24 pm »
Just, you've come to the right place. Welcome!

Most importantly you need to have a doctor you who is watching your numbers regarding HIV. As far as Hep B is concerned treatment for it is not given for most self-limiting infections when symptoms last for only a few months. The best thing you can do is to rest and eat well. For chronic cases, alpha-interferon injections are the standard of treatment for approximately four months. Get your doctor's opinion as to where you are at.

As for HIV, it takes time to get adjusted to having it in your life, but you will. Gradually you'll learn everything you need to know about staying healthy. Your partnership with your doctor is a very important tool. You want someone who's up on HIV and with whom you can talk and ask questions when you need to.

There are several lessons on this site which you may find useful, including the one about disclosure. I urge you to take your time with making decisions. Often so many feelings are stirred up after being diagnosed that people feel impelled to "do something," when in fact the best thing is to take your time to take it in and be with yourself.

You're always welcome here to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:46:52 pm »
I will offer that you might try to address each medical situation separately, at least in your mind.  Work with a medical professional, certainly, but think/talk through treatment for hiv and think/talk through treatment for hep B, one at a time, rather than being overwhelmed by all of this, the two, that is, at the same time.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 09:22:47 pm »
Hey Justfoundout,

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME here at the forums. Here you will find the encouragement, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

We have a great group of Real people who will listen as well as answer you.

Talking to other people helps us see that we are not the only ones with problems. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time as it is highly therapeutic.

In the interim,eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy and avoid processed foods, saturated and trans fats. This will also help you maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:00:40 pm »
I tested positive for HIV in late 1990 and had the great luck of contracting chronic Hepatitis B in November of 2001.  For the better part of 2002 and 2003 I slept 12 - 18 hours daily and had no energy at all.   

First, are you sure your Hep infection is chronic?  It takes at least 6 months and 2 to 3 blood draws to make the determination.  If your infection is chronic but your liver enzymes are OK (i.e., maybe a little above normal but not too high) then you can probably wait to treat the infection unless you are going to begin treating the HIV infection soon.

If you will be starting HAART soon it's important to include one ARV drug that is also effective against hepatitis.  In my case I began taking Trizivir, which contains 3TC, in October of 2004.  In January of this year my blood work showed hep antibodies for the first time and a hepatitis viral load came back undetectable.  In other words, the 3TC cured the hepatitis. 

I wish you the very best of luck!

Boo

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.