Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:49:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who Knows?  (Read 13267 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Who Knows?
« on: December 25, 2012, 08:54:16 pm »
Situation:  I have a friend in Kentucky.  He had sex last night with someone who has today told him, "I'm so sorry.  I was diagnosed positive last month.  I am not on meds."  He was receptive bottom with ejaculation.

It has been about 20-24 hours since exposure.  He has no insurance.

Can he get PEP without insurance?  What does he need to do?  He is in the Paducah, KY general area. 

He's having a very shitty Christmas, and he's so freaked that he isn't thinking straight about how to proceed.  I want to help him if I can.  If anyone can tell me the path to rescue for him, lay it out here and I will relay it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Who Knows?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »
I would think he could get PEP -- but he may need to pay out of pocket.  I guess I would first call a local ASO -- if they have some sort of hotline??  Next -- a trip to an Urgent Care or ER -- he'll need a doc to write the Rx.

Not sure what other advice I can give -- other than he needs to get a medical professional involved.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »
I really have no idea if its a viable option but would the hospital emergency room be able to treat him ?

It couldn't hurt to try and call and see ... this is a tough one with the no insurance issue . I see Mike posted but I will any way .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:01:25 pm »
I would think he could get PEP -- but he may need to pay out of pocket.  I guess I would first call a local ASO -- if they have some sort of hotline??  Next -- a trip to an Urgent Care or ER -- he'll need a doc to write the Rx.

Not sure what other advice I can give -- other than he needs to get a medical professional involved.

Hugs,
Mike

That's the thing:  this guy has no insurance and is already broke as heck.  Who the fuck could afford to pay out of pocket on the spot for a month's worth of meds in US dollars?  So in true genius American healthcare fashion, he might have to go without treatment, get infected and then be on the lifelong roll for ADAP.

It's so maddeningly stupid. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 09:04:27 pm »
I really have no idea if its a viable option but would the hospital emergency room be able to treat him ?

It couldn't hurt to try and call and see ... this is a tough one with the no insurance issue . I see Mike posted but I will any way .

Thanks, Jeff.  I appreciate the post anyway.  I tried to get him to come here and post earlier today, but I don't think stuff is sinking in with him all that well at the moment.  I think he's kinda zombied out by the whole thing right now.  He feels there isn't anything he can do because of the insurance thing, so he's basically sitting on the couch wondering if the virus is working its way in as the hours pass.

It totally sucks because I want to be able to say, "They can help you!" but I don't know that they would.

Le sigh.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »
Depending on the hospital and area, he might be eligible for patient assistance. There is usually someone who works at the hospital who can counsel him. Regardless, the next twelve hours or so are optimal.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 09:08:22 pm »
Thanks, Jeff.  I appreciate the post anyway.  I tried to get him to come here and post earlier today, but I don't think stuff is sinking in with him all that well at the moment.  I think he's kinda zombied out by the whole thing right now.  He feels there isn't anything he can do because of the insurance thing, so he's basically sitting on the couch wondering if the virus is working its way in as the hours pass.

It totally sucks because I want to be able to say, "They can help you!" but I don't know that they would.

Le sigh.

Truth is if he called the ER they would tell him they don't give advice over the phone , so what I offered isn't much help . Its maddening .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:13:33 pm »
Depending on the hospital and area, he might be eligible for patient assistance. There is usually someone who works at the hospital who can counsel him. Regardless, the next twelve hours or so are optimal.

So best bet is to get to the hospital emergency room and then tell them the situation?  He is low income, so I imagine he would qualify for patient assistance.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 09:24:18 pm »
Tim,

While I agree the money worry is insane, it still seems that the ER is the best bet.  Maybe someone will see the insanity of refusing PEP due to no money and increase the chance of needing a lifetime of treatment.  One can hope anyway.....  At any rate, he won't be any worse off by going, but could get what he needs.

Let us know how things work out - hoping for the right outcome here.

Mike

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »
Tim,

While I agree the money worry is insane, it still seems that the ER is the best bet.  Maybe someone will see the insanity of refusing PEP due to no money and increase the chance of needing a lifetime of treatment.  One can hope anyway.....  At any rate, he won't be any worse off by going, but could get what he needs.

Let us know how things work out - hoping for the right outcome here.

Mike

That's what I am trying to encourage in him - the "at least try" part.  He just replied to me that he called the hospital nearby and they were no help.  I think he feels resigned to it happening.  I am trying to get him to get to a hospital, but I don't think he has a car.  He usually gets rides to and from work.

All of this just really highlights the obstacles to treatment, doesn't it? 

I mean...he may very well get off lucky regardless, but he may not.  It's just the overall notion that someone may be coasting into an infection that could still be preventable.  (But then, as I told, him, it was most preventable last night.)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »
there is a medical assistance programe for PrEP.  log onto www.truvada.com and click the PrEP optiona and there is a link for medical assistance.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Growler

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 10:26:59 pm »
eeking care <72 hours after nonoccupational exposure to blood, genital secretions, or other potentially infectious body fluids of a person known to be HIV infected, when that exposure represents a substantial risk for transmission, a 28-day course of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) is recommended. Antiretroviral medications should
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm

STIL TIME
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 11:00:02 pm »
Tim.

I have a week's worth (7 days) of Truvada I can send him tomorrow for next day delivery. That will give him leeway and just might take some of the pressure off of him. If you're interested send me a pm with name and address.

Perhaps others can make up the rest.

robert

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »
Tim.

I have a week's worth (7 days) of Truvada I can send him tomorrow for next day delivery. That will give him leeway and just might take some of the pressure off of him. If you're interested send me a pm with name and address.

Perhaps others can make up the rest.

robert

Thanks, Robert.  I have had a similar offer already made on here, but he's declined.  He says he is ansy about doing anything legally iffy.  At this point, I told him I have done all I know to do.  He just needs to get himself to an ER and stop just accepting inevitable failure.

I'll keep checking this thread, though, in case anyone whizzes in here with a magic solution of some sort.

The oddest twist to this is that I know the top who did this.  Young, recently infected and not at all what many would deem an "AIDS Monster".  Just a kid craving love who acted impulsively and then immediately regretted it.  He is also in an emotional spiral right now because he feels demonic.

It just goes to show that none of this is as cut and dry as we sometimes try to make it out to be.   
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 11:13:10 pm »
The problem he'll face is that drug assistance programs requires a doctor's recomendation and then there's the processing time.  It'll be well over the 72 hour window. 

The only other options I can think of is to immediately call the nearest ASO in the area.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Robert

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 11:17:46 pm »
Tim.

that's cool.

If he changes his mind just let us know and we'll do what we can

merry christmas

robert

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 11:41:47 pm »
I'm sorry. You know I've got a ton of truvada. If this guy is more worried about getting another persons medicine than contracting HIV then we both know he cares little about contracting HIV. That's bullshit and we both know it. I'm a half hour from you. A day by post. Seriously. I have zero empathy if GE declines every single goddamn lifeline.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »
So best bet is to get to the hospital emergency room and then tell them the situation?  He is low income, so I imagine he would qualify for patient assistance.

That worked for me through the 90s.

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 11:55:34 pm »
The fact that your friend is reluctant to go to a hospital and even try - and the fact that he is paranoid about the legal implications of getting potentially life saving drugs from someone tells me that he needs to come the fuck down from his high.

And maybe someone not quite as fucked up could come and get the god damned medicine he needs for flicking free before that window closes. I will send you my number via pm. The offer stands for three hours.

Welcome Thread

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 12:33:16 am »
Tim,

You need to encourage your friend to take action.  While I can't completely understand where his thoughts are, it sounds a bit like he is " wishin' and hopin' " that he won't turn up positive.  We all know that is not a recipe for success.

Lay it on the line for him firmly:  he need to seek treatment, and aggressively advocate for himself, FAST!  An ER might work, but since your friend has no resources to purchase the meds, it will only work if the ER actually dispenses him the medication rather than just write him a prescription.  While patient assistance programs are available, getting approved for those in the 72-hour windows is unlikely. 

Still, I think he should go to the ER and raise as big a fuss as he can -- what does he have to lose?  If there is no luck there, then he can contact an ASO to see what advice they may be able to give him.

In both cases, if he has any shame or embarrassment issues, he's going to need to get over those PDQ.  Maybe that's too high a hurdle for him.  But the fact that he is refusing offers of meds from folks here is most troublesome, to say the least.  That couldn't be any easier. 

He needs to take the fucking pills now, and sort out all the feelings and drama later.  Time is running out.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 02:43:45 am »
I am sorry to hear about your friend.  I also don't understand him not wanting to try to get meds.  We're not talking about sending Vicodin in the mail.  When I had a deep suspicion I had been infected, I didn't know there was any such thing as PEP.  If I did, I would have tried anything to get the meds. 

This brings up questions about how PEP is paid for.  Do most insurance companies cover it?  Hospitals don't have programs to provide it?  Will this change under the healthcare reform in 2014?  It would seem like a no-brainer, that it would be cheaper to provide it, than the cost of decades of care.  I am not surprised the govt doesn't provide it, but I am surprised AIDS groups don't fund state PEP programs.  I know money is tight, but it goes back to being much cheaper and also possibly preventing more infections. 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 03:28:12 am »
My offer has expired because I have to fucking sleep sometime. As has my empathy. I've been made a fool. Noted.

Welcome Thread

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 04:41:00 am »
My offer has expired because I have to fucking sleep sometime. As has my empathy. I've been made a fool. Noted.

You did what you could Jonathon, this young man has rejected your help, he is a fool to himself, there is nothing you or anyone else can do now, he doesn't appreciate your help, just leave this alone now, don't worry yourself over this, you know you did the right thing now it's down to him.

Tim I'm sorry you also have wasted your time on this boy, sadly you can't force him to do something he doesn't want to do.

I feel for him, but he should have taken the meds.

Aroha
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 08:23:44 am »
What a depressing story to read at Christmas time.

My heart goes out to this guy, so beat down that he can't fathom his right to medical care.

Let's count our blessings that awful Mitt Romney and "the poor have the emergency room" mindset didn't take over.  Its going to be a long road for affordable care act to reach everyone and change everyone's mind, but hopefully someday the people in the US will breathe a little easier and know they have the right and the means to take care of their health.

I hope this guy stays negative and hope he finds some esteem building projects in the New Year. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 11:55:46 am »

Well, not by me.  I appreciate your efforts - ALL of you.  It shows once again how much the people on this site really and truly care, and what they are willing to do even for people they don't know at all.

I am about to float the question by this guy this morning to see if he did anything, but I am also out of the assistance game.  I had TWO people - both him and the poz top (it was actually the top who called me into the situation out of guilt) - hitting me up for information and action of Christmas day.  I was literally leaving the family table yesterday to check for mail replies.  (Be it noted that I managed an AWESOME Christmas anyway, but still....) 

It was later in the evening when I asked, "Well....?!" and found out that he hadn't come here for advice or called the hospital.  I took it upon myself to start this thread and relay the info.  I also relayed the Truvada phone line link and all that.  A certain wise yet cuddly teddy bear of a man on here told me last night not to get overly extended in this and work myself into a frenzy.

I reached the same conclusion as JK last night when we got to the "I don't want to do anything illegal" part with a month's worth of FREE potentially life saving pills.

Pardon the language, but fuck me running.  Someone else has alerted a whole gaggle of people to your situation and yet another set of someone elses - even further removed from you - have stepped up to offer you life lines and you say, "No thanks"?

You people are gold.  You really are.  I'm sorry I got everyone invested in this.  I was really trying to do the right thing.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 11:59:20 am »
Well what else would you do when a friend calls in distress.  Any one of us, with a close friend calling us in a panic, would try anything we could to help.  Including asking others for assistance.  You did nothing wrong, you did what you could.  I hope your friend comes to his senses. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 12:09:10 pm »
hey Tim,
sounds like you did everything you could.
i hope he stays negative.
nice to see such support here in any case.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 12:23:53 pm »
Well what else would you do when a friend calls in distress.  Any one of us, with a close friend calling us in a panic, would try anything we could to help.  Including asking others for assistance.  You did nothing wrong, you did what you could.  I hope your friend comes to his senses.

Yeah, but at this point it almost sounds more like he was in love with the drama of it than acting out of real concern - almost like the actual disease was an afterthought.  And of course there was the whole, "I can't ever forgive this person for withholding this from a sex partner!" thing.  I reminded him that, if he was routinely having receptive BB sex with ejaculation, he could just as easily been sleeping with someone of unknown status and be in the same boat.

Here's the thing:  I also noted to him that, if he's been having this same sort of sex for a matter of course for however long, that it is possible that he is ALREADY positive prior to this event.  I was pretty straight up with this guy about not letting him throw it all on the poz top.  Two to tango and all that.

I have to confess that it has occured to me - and maybe I am putting too much into this - that perhaps he is being lackadaisical about this partly out of a desire to have someone other than himself to throw blame on if he turns up poz when he next tests.  He's got a specific boogeyman at the moment that he can raise his fists and gnash his teeth at instead of looking in the mirror.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »
I think you've invested enough time and energy into helping your friend.  I too wondered about his motive for not accepting an offer of help. 

Rest well today knowing you've been a great friend who threw a potential lifeline that was refused.  We should all be so lucky to have great friends like you in our lives.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »
Hi Tim ... you did what you could , the guy made his choices and now he will own them .

We have seen it a gazillion times and its just a matter of time before he realizes the blame game only plays so long .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »
With the utmost respect for all of you, I call BS on this guy, his story and his motives.  Something tells me, that this guy has great reason to suspect he is already poz and needs someone to hang the blame on.  It makes absolutely no sense, to believe you have been exposed to HIV, have a good friend who is poz and who enlists this forum to find a way to get you PEP (even without insurance) and refuses every offer of help for whatever reason.

Something smells terribly wrong here and I am incensed as to the reactions, this has engendered because of his insensitivity.  Not one of you, who have responded in this thread, bears any guilt, nor responsibility for the actions of this man.  All of you did what you did, because it is part of who you are, not because it was expected, rather because none of you could do any less.

None of you bear any blame or responsibility.  There are no fools here... only gold.

Joe

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »
With the utmost respect for all of you, I call BS on this guy, his story and his motives.  Something tells me, that this guy has great reason to suspect he is already poz and needs someone to hang the blame on.  It makes absolutely no sense, to believe you have been exposed to HIV, have a good friend who is poz and who enlists this forum to find a way to get you PEP (even without insurance) and refuses every offer of help for whatever reason.

Something smells terribly wrong here and I am incensed as to the reactions, this has engendered because of his insensitivity.  Not one of you, who have responded in this thread, bears any guilt, nor responsibility for the actions of this man.  All of you did what you did, because it is part of who you are, not because it was expected, rather because none of you could do any less.

None of you bear any blame or responsibility.  There are no fools here... only gold.

Joe

Amen, Joe.  And thanks. 

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »
...and right on cue, I get word from the poz top that this guy sent him texts to say how unforgivable it all is, and that if he turns up positive he will pursue legal action.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 03:05:07 pm »
Tim you're a good egg, a heart-on-his-sleeve kinda guy so you do what you do. My question is did you remind the poz top that he might be putting himself into a world of hurt by not having safe sex?

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 03:09:20 pm »
...and right on cue, I get word from the poz top that this guy sent him texts to say how unforgivable it all is, and that if he turns up positive he will pursue legal action.

Ah, yes, the progression from (half-heartedly) pursuing PEP, to threatening legal action.  Well, at least we don't need to start another thread on criminalization.   ::)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 03:17:04 pm »
Tim you're a good egg, a heart-on-his-sleeve kinda guy so you do what you do. My question is did you remind the poz top that he might be putting himself into a world of hurt by not having safe sex?

Oh, the poz top sought ME out to begin with because he was wracked with guilt over it.  He's just a young kid - very young - and only recently diagnosed.  Throughout trying to help both of them, I had been gently peppering it with the proverbial riot act to make them both try to get the full consequences of their actions.

BULLETIN:

I am rather livid about the whole event right now because I wrote to the person in alleged distress just a few minutes ago to inquire if he ever went to the ER - and to state that I was puzzled by his response (or rather lack thereof) yesterday.  I basically said, and I quote:  "I did more on behalf of your health yesterday than you did - from states away."

I just received a reply that it should have been a given that he would not want illegally shipped meds, and that he wasn't rushing out for help that probably would not effect or help him anyway.  He also stated that, while he knew I was trying to help, it was a personal matter and he was no longer willing to discuss or argue about it.

Well fuck me for trying.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:19:34 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 03:19:29 pm »
Ah, yes, the progression from (half-heartedly) pursuing PEP, to threatening legal action.  Well, at least we don't need to start another thread on criminalization.   ::)

Thread and criminalization are two forum dirty words that should not be said in the same sentence .... shudder  ;) . I broke my own rule didn't I .  :-[
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »
Well fuck me for trying.

Be sure to use a condom sweetie.......   ;)

Seriously though............  It does sound like your friend is looking for a scapegoat, as I have to guess that this was not his first episode of bareback bottoming........  At first I thought he was just in a bit of denial, but this last exchange you've shared has changed my mind.
Honestly -- I hope he is negative and stays that way -- else, not only will his life have chaos, but your "top" friend and, possibly you -- if there is legal action.
Sigh -- no good deed goes unpunished!!

Hugs,
Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 03:36:16 pm »
Save all email .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 03:36:22 pm »
Kudos for trying to help. You'll get karma points if nothing else. If the situation still bothers you...

Cause - you didn't
Cure - refused, not that you didn't try
Control - situation is fully out of your control. Let it go.

Thanks for trying.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »
Save all email .

Done / in the process of doing so right now. 

And bocker, you mean chaos as in the potential for me to have to get involved in the court proceedings if this ever got pursued, I assume. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »

And bocker, you mean chaos as in the potential for me to have to get involved in the court proceedings if this ever got pursued, I assume.

Yes, dear -- I can't imagine but that would be most unpleasant.  Hopefully, it won't come to that!

Hugs,
M

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 03:56:25 pm »
Yes, dear -- I can't imagine but that would be most unpleasant.  Hopefully, it won't come to that!

Hugs,
M

Oh, yes...I could just see it now:  He tries to throw Mr. Poz Top in jail, and I get shackled for trying to run a med pipeline. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline mecch

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »
I have all sorts of tricks up my teacher's sleeve. But it is exhausting and frustrating when in stubborn cases, like you face with these two young'uns, you are rifling through all your tricks and still getting nowhere.

I hope at least they are cute if they expect to make it by staying dumb.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 04:02:49 pm »
I have all sorts of tricks up my teacher's sleeve. But it is exhausting and frustrating when in stubborn cases, like you face with these two young'uns, you are rifling through all your tricks and still getting nowhere.

Yeah, meech...there's another rub in this sordid story:  only the poz top is young.  The guy on the receiving end is not all that young.  I think he's in his early 30's.  He's no child, in any case.  I'd say he needs to grow the fuck up at this point. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 04:09:19 pm »
Oops really?  You said it, time to grow up.
Well you did your best.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 04:41:56 pm »

And how old were you when you were infected?

Offline mecch

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:49 pm »
And how old were you when you were infected?
Smart enough that I would have taken PEP had I known I had been exposed to HIV, wiseass.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 07:47:23 pm »
Smart enough that I would have taken PEP had I known I had been exposed to HIV, wiseass.

Oh, smart enough to take PEP, but not smart enough to not become "exposed". Once again the empress has no clothes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:51:09 pm by Dachshund »

Offline mecch

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 08:09:16 pm »
zzzzzzzzzzzz 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.