Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 02:09:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Terms of Membership and Terms of Use  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Tucsonwoody

Terms of Membership and Terms of Use
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:29:37 pm »
As a result of all the discussion about the "rules of the road" related to using these forums, I am wondering why there are "Terms of Membership for these forums" which don't make any mention of things like who owns the postings etc. and the "terms of use" which do.

Should the two be merged into one? or maybe it would be helpful to future members to point out that the terms of use include a lot more detail about the "rules".

With my many senior moments, I can't even remember what I agreed to when joining the forums.  Was it the Terms of Membership or the terms of use or both?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:25:10 pm by Tucsonwoody »
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
Re: Terms of Membership and Terms or Use
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:38:15 pm »
one most likely is a canned version that came with the forum program, and the other ought to supercede it if it was composed by the developers of this website.

if one uses the name of the website and the other is generic, there is the choice...
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: Terms of Membership and Terms or Use
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 02:34:16 pm »
You clicked an accept button for the "Terms of Membership" during forums registration, which the forums moderators wrote, and includes descriptions of the specific things we don't allow in the forums (denialists, spammers, etc.).

The "Terms of Use" were written by S+S's lawyer, and are for the entire website (not just the forums).  AIDSmeds has a slightly differently worded one (taking our forums into account) than POZ's (which takes their Personals into account).  Both use very broad legal language that is similar to other online website services folks use, like AOL Chat and Yahoo Groups, etc.

Peter

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: Terms of Membership and Terms of Use
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:44:09 pm »
Peter - thanks for the clarafication and reminding me of which of the two "terms" I had to acknowledge to gain access.

Which makes me think that only us nerdy ones, or people who don't care one way or the other what the TOS state would really ever know right?

Which makes me think that adding a line to the TOM's that says be sure to read the TOS's for further mumbo jumbo detailing what else you're agreeing to, might prevent some of the heartburn experienced around here recently. 

At the very least, it would give more ammunition to those who have made a point of saying "you shoulda known" or "they told ya so" so it's "your" fault for not knowing.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: Terms of Membership and Terms of Use
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 03:52:40 pm »
Which makes me think that adding a line to the TOM's that says be sure to read the TOS's for further mumbo jumbo detailing what else you're agreeing to, might prevent some of the heartburn experienced around here recently. 

Good suggestion.  I've changed the first line of the registration agreement to:

"By registering, you agree to abide by our website's "Terms of Use" and by the following Terms of Membership for these forums:"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.