Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:30:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 616
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Change  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Steven1991

Change
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:36:05 pm »
Hey there,

I am Steven and I just turned 21 last week. I received the most devastating and shocking news yesterday morning, that is I am HIV positive. I still couldn't believe it as I am writing this post. I couldn't wrap my head around this fact.

So many questions arose. Why me? What's going happen to my health? What are people going to think of me? What does it mean to be HIV positive?

I broke down, cried my heart out. Every time I thought about my family, I cried even more. I am 9000 miles away from home. I called home after I received the news, talked and skyped with them as usual. There is a part of me that felt different. I am a different person now and I couldn't bare the thought of hurting them with this news.

I am only 21, and it will be a long road ahead of me. I have decided after I got the news that I will not blame myself for what had happened. I just want things to be alright.

:(

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Change
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:52:00 pm »
Hey there,

I am Steven and I just turned 21 last week. I received the most devastating and shocking news yesterday morning, that is I am HIV positive. I still couldn't believe it as I am writing this post. I couldn't wrap my head around this fact.

So many questions arose. Why me? What's going happen to my health? What are people going to think of me? What does it mean to be HIV positive?

I broke down, cried my heart out. Every time I thought about my family, I cried even more. I am 9000 miles away from home. I called home after I received the news, talked and skyped with them as usual. There is a part of me that felt different. I am a different person now and I couldn't bare the thought of hurting them with this news.

I am only 21, and it will be a long road ahead of me. I have decided after I got the news that I will not blame myself for what had happened. I just want things to be alright.

:(

Sweetie,

Don't fret. We've all been where you are and crying is exactly what you should do.

Know this, it's not your fault and everything will be ok.

I promise. :)

And Matty the Damned don't make promises he can't keep.

When I say this will be ok, I don't mean it will always be easy or good or that you won't suffer. But that's how life goes.

But it will be ok.

You've taken the first step. You've reached out and asked for help. So take a big deep breath and consider your options one at a time.

First one, do you have a doctor who can manage your HIV?

MtD

Offline jahcureme

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:30:04 pm »
Hi Steven and Welcome ! I'm fairly new to the site but not to the life of HIV.. found out when I was 16 second partner in life..picture that..Had all the same issues you spoke of. Peoples thoughts and how they treat you once they find out..you cant change..I'm sure your family loves you and will have your back..Those who don't you can't worry about them...But you can decide to live.this so no longer the death sentence that it once was...Ive been poz since 89..been undetected for 6 yrs now..Take care of yourself..physically and mentally..Have some FAITH..Find your good in this TRIAL because it will be some trying days..Who cares about blame..after all you did nothing any different from anyone else..

LIVE LIFE !!
ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME ! So don't waste ya time!

Offline TexasPOZ

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 06:23:51 am »
Hi Steven, You made an excellent step in finding these forums and this website just a day after you were diagnosed. There is a lot of good information on this site and the people in the forums can be there for support and to answer questions you may have. We've all been there, felt the way you're feeling, and asked ourselves the same questions. With the advances in treatment these days, you don't have to worry about your health. Get a good doctor you can work with, educate yourself, and play an active role in your health care. Remember it's your body, and you have every right to have a voice in what meds you're going to take, when you're going to start, and so on. I'm glad you decided not to blame yourself. And don't worry about what people are going to think about you. Remember, you have every right to decide who you tell and don't tell. The only person you have to tell is your doctor. You're not a different person now. You're the same person you always were. The only difference now is that you have an illness, a very treatable illness. It changes nothing about who you are. You're going to have to go to a few more doctor appointments than before and take a few prescriptions, but you are still you. You still deserve love, respect, dignity and everything you deserved before. And there is nothing that can hold you back from achieving your dreams. Remember, you will feel better about it all in time. I promise. Take care and best wishes.

Offline Mantra

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:25 pm »
Dear Steven,

You have your WHOLE life ahead of you.  See a doctor you feel comfortable with and take it a day at a time. I was diagnoased a few months ago myself.  It is hard and this adjustment period is a roller-coaster of emotions.  But stay strong and keep yourself very much in sync with all your personal ambitions and goals. 

This forum and this website is filled with good people who care about you and be steadfast my friend.

Big virtual hug to you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.