Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:43:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 373
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Anxiety and panicked .  (Read 5420 times)

Offline winterblues

Anxiety and panicked .
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:20:57 pm »
Hello I posted my situation on another forum. In Decemeber between 25-26 . I made the biggest mistake of having sex unprotected 4 times and oral , with someone I was foolish enough to trust. I don't know what his status is. He told me he was negative because of his line of business he had to be tested monthly.. Yet he hadn't been working since  the later part of Oct.. . Well.. Afterwards I panicked hearing some of the things I knew about him etc.. Well ... 2/2 I was diagnosed with the flu I kept blowing my nose,sore throat etc.. They took a throat culture and nasal culture and told me it was definitely the flu sent me on my way with tamiflu/codiclear had a fever of 103. All was well a few days after wards other around me were sick my kids and co workers at work . In fact, my job sent an email around stating to leave work if you come down with something etc.. I also passed diarrhea on 2/2 and vomited trying to cough up the phelgm. Anyways the cough lingered as with other co-workers.The RN at m job stated that was common with the flu especially this flu. She also stated what I had was the flu etc..
 I started having paranoia afterwards thinking of the consquences. On 3/14/08 I was tested by Labcorp and called my gynecologist office on 3/18 and two times after that and was told I was negative for the std blood panel herpes,hep,hiv, and syphliss. The pap cultures didn't come back yet they take a lil longer for hpv,tric, and chylmadia. My gynecologist told me she would like me to test again in June-July to cover the full 6 month window. She also asked me if I was actually tested for the flu. I told her yes they tested for a flu strain. She stated it was the flu.

I was 5 days shy of 12 weeks 11 or 12 days short of 91 days .. I tested at  79days negative . 2 days shy of the start of the beginging of the 12th week on sunday. I am so nervous because I have a yellow stain on my tongue . It started  very small on the left side of my tongue. I panicked when to the dentist she stated it was nothing, new tooth brush was given and a speech on how to properly brush my tongue. Okay.. Now it's all over my tongue I tried hard to brush it away and it started to bleed a little. I don't have lesions of white stuff or spots on my cheeks gums . I don't have a white film on my tongue either just yellow staining. I called my dentist on friday and they were closed waiting til monday to call them. Does this sound like thrush. I also called the CDC customer service the lady told me the average detection time is average 25 days and at 2-8 weeks 97% show up positive. A rare 3 % show postive after 3 months .. So she stated it was good my doc wanted to cover all basis. The problem is I am very nervous wondering if I can consider my results to be almost conclusive ? I am so worried etc waiting til June-July to test. I feel enormous guilt and guitly for being so irresponsible I am a single mom. I am tried of people (family) friends accept 1 or 2 acting annoyed with me and my "paranoia". I am seeing a Counselor next week to help with the anxiety. The situation with the guy was overall traumatic for me for a number of other reaons.

So your opinions are helpful and appreciated . I just wish there was no doubt left remaining and the 3 month waiting is making me not sleep etc...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:52:38 pm by winterblues »

Offline winterblues

Re: Anxiety and panicked .
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »
Ok people are reading my post but, not responding I must really sound pathetic. Sorry then to bother all of you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 06:47:43 pm »
You've done the smart thing by getting tested. That's the only certain way to know your HIV status. The CDC recommends doing it at 13 weeks. Assuming you test negative at 79 days, I certainly would expect you to continue to test negative if you re-test at 13 weeks. There is no need for you to test beyond that point.

All of the symptoms mean nothing. There is nothing HIV specific about any of them and focusing on them is a mistake that just leaves you wondering without the answer only the test can give you.

You can have sex with anyone you want to as long as you always make sure the guy wears a condom for vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions. Period.

Lastly, we don't like the term "clean" used in relation to HIV or STD status. HIV is a virus and not something dirty. STDs are something you catch and again not something dirty. So please don't use that term as it is offensive to people living with HIV.

Discuss your symptoms with your doctor if they persist and you test negative to find out what the real cause of them is.

Good luck with your test result.  
Andy Velez

Offline winterblues

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:52:16 pm »
I apologize for using the word clean  It would used more so on sarcasim against him I will most certainly modify my post. Thank you for responding .. I will be calling the dentist on monday about the tongue. My other question was does the yellow tongue song like thrush? That's is all.  Again, my deepest apologies about using the clean word. I didn't know. I will follow my gynecologist instructions only because I know she will be very persistent on getting tested again for the 6month window she spoke of. I understand what you were saying about the CDC guidelines they told me that too. But, also said there was a rare 3% that test positve after 3months.. So I guess my DOC wanted to cover all basis I guess.

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:54:25 pm by winterblues »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:58:27 pm »
Duly noted about "clean." Thanks.

That 3% testing posiiive after three months refers to those with severely impaired immune systems such as from cancer treatment or other genuinely catastrophic illness or an intravenous drug user. I'm not suggesting you go up against your doctor, but I will say if you test negative at 13 weeks you can breathe a sigh of relief and trust that result.

As for thrush, it can be very persistent to cure. The only way you can know if you have it is to have diagnosed by a doctor. Also, it is not by any means an HIV specific occurrence, so even IF you have it, that still doesn't tell you anything about HIV. The tongue is a very sensitive organ and yellow or shmellow is NOT anything to tell you about HIV. Really.

Andy Velez

Offline winterblues

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:07:09 pm »
Thank you Andy. I will definitly be making a call my to Dentist. I am thinking I will follow your advice and restest sometime next week if possible. I will also retest june-july to follow my gynecologists advice.

Thanks again :)

Offline winterblues

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 08:03:43 pm »
Andy Velez,

I just wanted to come back and thank you for your help a few months ago. I had taken an HIV test @ 11.5 weeks . I was a little shy of 12 weeks. Well, I tested negative but, I was still nervous because it wasn't the 12 week mark. I started seeing things on my tongue and body that wasn't really there. An I was just really paranoid. However, I was tested again last week 6/18/08 and found out today that I'm conclusively negative. My Gynecologist stated that she felt more comfortable waiting to test at a full 6 months. I'm aware of the CDC current guidelines but, I didn't want to sound like I was correcting the Physician. So  I just prayed and waited til June ... 

I learned a powerful lesson these last 6 months and just was really disappointed with myself. I also became educated on the facts of HIV/AIDS and have deep and profound respect for people living with it.There are alot of people where I work, in my family etc..That are unedcated on the acts. It's amazing how one situation opens your eyes. So I wanted to say gracias por su ayuda !

Sinceramente,

Winterblues
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:08:35 pm by winterblues »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:08 pm »
Congrats on your happy test results. 6 months wasn't necessary but now it's done and you can get on with your life.

And I'm very happy to read that you've learned and gotten some good tools to better protect yourself in the future.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.