Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:16:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 241
Total: 241

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: VL load through semen test?  (Read 7111 times)

Offline Rockin

VL load through semen test?
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:37 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum section for this question but I was wondering if its possible to measure someone's VL through semen instead of blood. Is it?

Offline Grasshopper

Re: VL load through semen test?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum section for this question but I was wondering if its possible to measure someone's VL through semen instead of blood. Is it?

There is a simple way you can test this yourself at home:
1) Ejaculate in a spoon
2) In front of a (bathroom) mirror; empty the spoon on your tongue
3) If the consistency of your ejaculate remains the same, and you don't feel anything, then most probably the VL in your ejaculate is equal or below that in your blood
4) However, if your ejaculate starts foaming, sizzling and you feel a strong tingling sensation on your tongue, then your ejaculate's VL might be higher than that in your blood.

If you experience # 4, contact your doctor so he can take the appropriate meassures.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:49:57 pm »
There is a simple way you can test this yourself at home:
1) Ejaculate in a spoon
2) In front of a (bathroom) mirror; empty the spoon on your tongue
3) If the consistency of your ejaculate remains the same, and you don't feel anything, then most probably the VL in your ejaculate is equal or below that in your blood
4) However, if your ejaculate starts foaming, sizzling and you feel a strong tingling sensation on your tongue, then your ejaculate's VL might be higher than that in your blood.

If you experience # 4, contact your doctor so he can take the appropriate meassures.

Oh my God, I never heard of that before. Is this accurate?? Im currently UND but I heard that sometimes the VL in your blood might not be the same as the VL in your semen, that's why I asked.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »
They can test VL in semen, but it's not a standard test and from what I've heard, it's expensive. It's usually only done for research purposes.

Detecting hiv in seamen is another kettle of fish.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rockin

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:12:00 pm »
They can test VL in semen, but it's not a standard test and from what I've heard, it's expensive. It's usually only done for research purposes.

Detecting hiv in seamen is another kettle of fish.

Its just because of the whole "someone giving me oral sex" thingie that I know youre pretty tired of discussing.  I wanted to know if its possible to find out if my semen is also UND.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 01:19:13 pm »
You're not going to transmit your hiv to anyone blowing you when you have an UD VL blood-wise. And yes, I am tired of answering blowjob questions. Fed up to the back teeth with oral, if you'll forgive the sorta-pun. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:23:42 pm »
I tend to gag whenever giving discussing oral sex. :P
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rockin

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 01:24:27 pm »
You're not going to transmit your hiv to anyone blowing you when you have an UD VL blood-wise. And yes, I am tired of answering blowjob questions. Fed up to the back teeth with oral, if you'll forgive the sorta-pun. ;D

Hahaha I know Ann but you know how confusing this is.

The private doctor I saw a couple of times last year told me that people have to use condoms when performing oral sex all the time. I told him he was delluded and no one does that and he said yes they do. I mean, cmon, how does HE know?

So there you go. As usual, I blame doctors.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »

You should practice with bananas like I do like Miss PeePee does.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:34:05 pm »
You should practice with bananas like I do like Miss PeePee does.

Bananas can also be used for practice in other areas... [I'll wait for a "VL through rectal test"" thead to further discuss their use]

BTW, the Dominican Republic has some great bananas - don't they Ms. P?
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 01:50:42 pm »
The private doctor I saw a couple of times last year told me that people have to use condoms when performing oral sex all the time. I told him he was delluded and no one does that and he said yes they do. I mean, cmon, how does HE know?

So there you go. As usual, I blame doctors.
actually, quite often doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals past along their own moral judgments and misconceptions. I mean, they are just people too.  ;)

In several states, they have been trying to pass laws that allow health care professionals to not treat people if it goes against the professionals morals or religious viewpoints (pharmacists wouldn't have to give meds to people with HIV if the pharmacist thought that having HIV was god's moral judgment against a sinner; nor would a doctor, who didn't believe in abortions, even have to give a female the option - or information - about the "morning after" pill).

As a gay man, I've noticed health care professionals giving me incorrect information just so that I would not engage in that "nasty"/"immoral"/"icky" homosexual, oral or anal sex again. (IMHO the whole "reinfection" scare (supposedly from BB UD poz-on-poz sex) is the result of doctors (intentionally or subliminally) trying to keep pozzies from having sex).

of course too, in these days of litigation, it's easier for a doctor to always advise you to do nothing even remotely risky, or thought to possibly be risky, so you don't sue them later. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 01:56:29 pm »
actually, quite often doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals past along their own moral judgments and misconceptions. I mean, they are just people too.  ;)

In several states, they have been trying to pass laws that allow health care professionals to not treat people if it goes against the professionals morals or religious viewpoints (pharmacists wouldn't have to give meds to people with HIV if the pharmacist thought that having HIV was god's moral judgment against a sinner; nor would a doctor, who didn't believe in abortions, even have to give a female the option - or information - about the "morning after" pill).

As a gay man, I've noticed health care professionals giving me incorrect information just so that I would not engage in that "nasty"/"immoral"/"icky" homosexual, oral or anal sex again. (IMHO the whole "reinfection" scare (supposedly from BB UD poz-on-poz sex) is the result of doctors (intentionally or subliminally) trying to keep pozzies from having sex).

of course too, in these days of litigation, it's easier for a doctor to always advise you to do nothing even remotely risky, or thought to possibly be risky, so you don't sue them later. ;)

Thank god my current public doctor is amazing. Great guy and non-judgemental at all.

i just wished that someday we could see an HIV awareness campaign that is built upon proper information and education as opposed to the usual scare tactics.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 02:57:25 pm »

You must be doing it wrong!   8)

Joe

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:12:45 pm »

This. Even the studies that show a detectable VL in semen (while the blood remains UD) only show the equivalent of a blip, which though statistically interesting does not create a real-world risk for HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:22:57 pm »
You must be doing it wrong!   8)

Joe

I'm thinking about requesting that we add an a demonstration event to this year's AMG...... anything that can help me better give discuss oral sex ---- perhaps we could do it after the meat and greet?
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 08:45:35 am »
I'm thinking about requesting that we add an a demonstration event to this year's AMG...... anything that can help me better give discuss oral sex ---- perhaps we could do it after the meat and greet?

If you're going to call it meat and greet you may as well do it during.

Just pointin' out the obvious.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 11:46:21 am »
If you're going to call it meat and greet you may as well do it during.

Just pointin' out the obvious.

or we could have two events:
1) the Meet and Greet for those more conservative types

2) the Meat and Beat for those who are a little more adventurous - this could be where we insert the oral "discussions."
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »

Meat and Beat

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

I think I'm going to have to take out a loan and get my ass (and the rest of me) to DC.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:26:47 pm »

Are you volunteering to do the demo?   Of course, you'll still have to find a willing subject partner.   ;D

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 06:27:40 pm »
Are you volunteering to do the demo?   Of course, you'll still have to find a willing subject partner.   ;D

Of course, I'd be more than happy to subject myself to do the demo. As for willing subjects partners, I'm sure I can find a few, either in the lobby or perhaps the elevators....  among other locations.
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 10:09:26 pm »
I'm sure I can find a few, either in the lobby or perhaps the elevators....  among other locations.

Be sure to check behind any couches - you'd be surprised who you may find lurking.

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.