Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:49:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Sinusitis  (Read 16465 times)

Offline jtimons

Sinusitis
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:14:55 am »

I've been reading a lot to try to get a sense of where I am concerning this, but I have an extreme anxiety that my case might be somewhat particular--- even if that isn't true, I'd really appreciate hearing what you guys have to say.

I became involved in a relationship with a girl in which we had protected sex three or four times.  The last time we had sex, I waited five to ten minutes at the most until I removed the condom.  I did this in the bathroom where I could throw it away.  The outside was still slick.  After doing that, I stupidly decided to pop a pimple/zit that had been bothering me on my forehead with the same fingers I held the condom with.  It bled, though how much I can't remember.  Realizing what I had done, I dabbed it with soap and water ( the only thing I could think to do ) and tried not to think about it.  This happened in mid November, sometime before Thanksgiving.

A week or two later, I noticed a rash on my lower back.  It appeared maculopapular to me, with lots of little bumps that didn't contain any pus.  It mostly didn't itch, but sometimes at a moderate level.  I never had a fever over 98.7, but one night at work I was overcome with a particularly strange sensation, somewhere between a marijuana induced paranoia and a feverish kind of malaise, but I believe it passed by the next morning.  I've had a sore throat on a few instances, and a sever cough episode about a month afterward that lasted about a day, then tapered off over the following week.

As of now the rash on my back has mostly faded, but has relocated to my left buttocks, where it's moderate but not severe.

I don't know if I should be worried or not, but I am, and it's driving me crazy.  It'll eventually drive me to getting tested, I'm sure, but is this a hopeless situation?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Extremely worried-- possible infection, please help.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:23:46 am »
j,

You've been doing the right thing and using condoms for intercourse. You did not have a risk for hiv infection in your zit-popping, condom removing incident. None whatsoever.

Please read through the Welcome Thread and follow the Transmission Lesson link so you can gain a better understanding of what is and what isn't a risk for hiv infection.

Here's what else you need to know: You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

While you do NOT need to test over this SPECIFIC incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Keep using those condoms and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jtimons

Strange coincidences--- really worried, think I'm going crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:23:36 pm »

In February, I had an encounter-- I had protected sex with a girl.  Prior to that I performed unprotected oral sex on her for about one or two minutes.  My oral health is not the best.

A few weeks later I had a sore throat that lasted a few days, and possibly a fever.  Since then, I've been experiencing very strange, VERY improbably coincidences, not necessarily related to HIV but I think I'm losing my mind and that these coincidences possibly are trying to tell me something, or hint that there's something wrong in my life.  I'm not sure what to do or who to turn to.  What do you guys think?  Input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: Strange coincidences--- really worried, think I'm going crazy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 05:29:03 pm »
Protected sex is just that. Protected.  There is no risk of you contracting HIV from what you have described.

Read the lessons in the welcome thread so you can learn how this virus actually is transmitted.

Good luck.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:30:49 pm »
J,

You should keep all your comments, thoughts and questions in your original thread.

That makes it easier for us to follow your story and provide you with accurate advice. If you can't find your original thread click on the "Show own posts" link in the left hand column of the page.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:22 pm »
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  What kind of strange coincidences?  

Actually, never mind.  That really makes no difference at all.  The situation you describe does not indicate any concern for HIV transmission, so that pretty much sums it up from our end.

What other cosmic events that occur...they're out of our realm here.

Have a look at the Lessons section on this site for more detailed information on HIV transmission.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 07:59:18 pm »
JT, I've merged your latest thread with the previous one. Please keep all of your comments in this same thread.

You are working your nerves totally without any basis in HIV science. There's no need for worry nor for testing.

Get on with your life. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline jtimons

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 02:59:44 pm »

Now I'm almost convinced.  My bowel movements seem inconsistent, I get gas much more easily, and the seborrhoeic dermatitis near my nose and on my scalp has flared up recently.  If everything the internet says about oral sex is true, I don't know how this is happening.  I've scheduled a test for tomorrow.  I'm unbelievably scared at this point.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 03:06:02 pm »
Go get your negative result.  And put an end to all this.

Shoddy bowel movements and gas combined with some skin issues does not equal you having HIV. 

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 03:46:40 pm »
It's your money go test and come back to collect the "WE TOLD YOU SO" comment from the crew.

Offline jtimons

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 11:52:58 am »
Everyone please pray for me or wish me good luck.  I tested today, should have the results later this week.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »
I save my prayers for people that have had a risk. You did not have a risk.

Offline jtimons

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 02:20:05 am »
I get my test results tomorrow.  I'm so nervous and scared.  Probably won't sleep tonight.  Again, wish me luck.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 04:43:37 am »
You don't need luck. You'll test negative.

MtD

Offline jtimons

Is 14 weeks a reliable test result?
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 06:01:08 pm »

I ask because I tested negative at 14 weeks, but I'm worried I might be one of the few who needs 6 months--- perhaps that I'm immunodeficient.  I think this might be possible because I have dermatitis problems and a persistant UTI that I've had treated twice.  Could this cause my seroconversion to be delayed?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Is 14 weeks a reliable test result?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 06:27:16 pm »
Neither of those conditions would qualify as something which would indicate a severely compromised immune system. When that is happening it's very clear the person is in a very serious state of health because so many severe problems are happening simultaneously.

You can regard your negative result at 14 weeks as reliable. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jtimons

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 06:42:17 pm »
One more thing---

I'm looking at the test results sheet I was given.  It says that the test that was performed is Abs-ICMA.  From what I can gather, that's Western Blot, right?  But that means they didn't do an ELISA.  So it's more likely that I have a false negative.  Should I call and specifically arrange for an ELISA test?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 06:52:02 pm »
JT,

Why can't these questions go in your original thread?

MtD

Offline jtimons

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 06:57:37 pm »
I'm sorry.  I thought that because the topic was essentially different than the other that I should put these questions here.  I can post in the other thread, but I'd really like to know what everyone's opinion of the ICMA test is.  I can hardly find any information about it on the web, only that it is also confirmed by a Western Blot--- but it isn't an ELISA test, and this has me worried about its credibility.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 10:16:33 pm »
You've reliably tested negative for HIV. Period.

There's no need for a western blot when you test negative. It is only done when there is a positive result and a negative on the western blot trumps a positive. I don't know where you have gotten the mistaken idea that a western blot is more likely to give you a false negative. It's actually a highly sensitive and specific test which is why it trumps a positive result on any other test.

I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your entries in this thread whether you think they fit together or not. That will enable readers to follow the exchanges. Thanks for your cooperation. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:19:28 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline jtimons

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 01:10:20 am »
Does anyone know anything about the test I took?  I can't seem to find much at all about it on the internet.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 04:59:30 am »
If you want to know about the test you took contacted the center that gave you the test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 05:56:36 am »
jt,

From what you've written, you're currently worried about hiv because you went down on a woman. Hiv is not transmitted in this way, so you're worrying over nothing. You are hiv negative.

You reported having a sore throat after this incident and while that is NOT an indication of hiv, it could be an indication of having been infected with gonorrhea in your throat - or it could have just been a coincidental ordinary, run of the mill sore throat.

As we always say, a sexually active adult should be having routine FULL sexual health care check ups, including but not limited to hiv testing. If you engage in giving oral, that sexual health testing should include oral swabs.

This is NOT an hiv situation. You are conclusively hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jtimons

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 01:36:38 am »
I want to update and share some new concerns I've had:

The girl who presented the risky exposure --- I performed unprotected cunnilingus on her --- has apparently been sick nearly all year, has lost a lot of weight, and seems prone to viruses lately.  This all began shortly after our encounter.  I don't know her status.

I was tested at 15 weeks, negative.  But I'm worried that I might still have it, that maybe I'm a late converter.  I had a strange rash recently on my chest and midsection, small red spots that went away in maybe a week after spreading to my neck.  I've also had a recurrence of seborrheic dermatitis since probably April.  My encounter with her was in February.

Could I still test positive at 6 months?  What causes some people to test positive so late?  I've read that only people in the lower 90th percentile test positive by 3 months-- that leaves a lot of room for error.  Needless to say I'm extremely worried and would appreciate any input.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 04:28:04 am »
You've received a conclusive result of negative. It's time for you to move on. If you continue to doubt your results seek professional mental help counseling to help. You are HIV negative.

Offline jtimons

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 03:54:27 am »
All right, I feel like I'm falling apart.  In addition to what I've already mentioned, I've noticed that I've also developed what is apparently prurigo nodularis, a very common condition in HIV infected individuals.  Never had anything like it before.  With all of these symptoms seeming to mount, do you think I should get a second test?  This all seems unbelievably coincidental if I'm not infected.  I don't know what I'm going to do.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 05:31:16 am »
jt,

Why don't you go see your doctor instead of assuming anything going on with you is being caused by hiv? It can't be hiv - you are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

Only people who are on chemotherapy drugs for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or people who have been injecting street drugs, every day, for several years, stand ANY chance of seroconverting late. I doubt you fall into any of those categories.

You didn't have a risk in the first place. Cunnilingus is NOT a risk for hiv infection, so it's no surprise that you are conclusively hiv negative. If you cannot accept your negative status, please seek counseling to help you learn how to manage your anxieties. We cannot help you with that here.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jtimons

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 03:32:17 am »
One more question.  Could drinking alcohol possibly cause my HIV test to come out negative, when I'm really positive?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 05:28:51 am »
JT,

NO!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jtimons

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 04:01:40 am »
Hello,

I had a risky encounter in February (performed unprotected oral sex on a woman of unknown status).  I tested negative in May.  A few months after the encounter I began to have problems with seborrhea, particularly in the eyebrows and sideburns.  Now, as of the past month or so, I've developed a spot of seborrhea on my lip.  This is all new to me, and it's pretty worrying.  Perhaps my test was wrong?  Is it normal for HIV-related seborrhea to manifest this early, if I were positive?  Thanks in advance for any responses.

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 04:49:57 pm »
jt,

Why don't you go see your doctor instead of assuming anything going on with you is being caused by hiv? It can't be hiv - you are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

Only people who are on chemotherapy drugs for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or people who have been injecting street drugs, every day, for several years, stand ANY chance of seroconverting late. I doubt you fall into any of those categories.

You didn't have a risk in the first place. Cunnilingus is NOT a risk for hiv infection, so it's no surprise that you are conclusively hiv negative. If you cannot accept your negative status, please seek counseling to help you learn how to manage your anxieties. We cannot help you with that here.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

ann says it all here in her previous post

perceived symptoms mean nothing when dealing with hiv. a negative test does mean something. it means you are HIV NEGATIVE

see your doctor/pharmacist if your skin complaint continues, but it does not have anything to do with hiv - as your test said you are NEGATIVE

i suugest you seek professional help if you are having problems accepting your negative status
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline jtimons

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 05:01:15 am »
How soon after HIV infection does seborrhea manifest?  My last risky encounter was February of 07.  Since about the end of summer 07 I've had moderate seborrhea on the scalp and face.  I tested at 15 weeks, negative, but I've heard sometimes it can take up to 6 months to appear.  Any advice?  I also get ear aches, bumps, and other things that I don't typically get, but the seborrhea is the most troubling.  I had it growing up, but it's never been quite this extensive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 05:07:07 am »
 JT,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. The window period exists at THREE MONTHS to catch the rare person who might take a little longer than six WEEKS to test positive. The window period has been at three months for years now and the references you see on the internet about six months are woefully outdated.

You do not have hiv. Whatever is causing your problems has nothing to do with hiv. See your doctor about your skin and your aches, lumps and bumps. We cannot diagnose you here.

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv. It seems you have a history of not believeing your test results. Maybe you should seek counseling for that. We cannot help you with your unwarranted fears here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jtimons

Sinusitis
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 02:36:14 am »

Could sinusitis be the first symptom of HIV?  About a year ago I went to a party, got drunk--- I don't remember blacking out, but my memory was spotty.  I've never done anything sexually risky when drunk before, but I was pretty drunk and there are minute chunks of time where I don't remember anything clearly or at all--- I do remember going to sleep, but when I woke up my fly was unzipped.  I forget to zip it sometimes, but still---- I am a chronic worrier and whatnot, but I have had some worrying symptoms since this incident. 

My skin can get very dry and I've had seborrhea on my face for some time--- possibly before this incident but I can't remember.  My hands are very liney--- not sure if they were before or not.  Most worrying, though, are sinus problems that came out of nowhere about six months after this possible incident.  Ears feel constantly full, buzzing... That was around three months after the incident, in September.  But around April of this year I began to get serious headaches.  My doctor suggested that it was a sinus infection, prescribed antibiotics.  Headaches became less severe but they are still there, only dull now and fairly persistent.  Going for a CT scan soon...

My question is, how likely is it that sinusitis could be the first presenting symptom of HIV, about half a year to a year after possible infection?  Thanks for any input.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Sinusitis
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2009, 05:05:31 am »
jt,

Once again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. STOP STARTING NEW THREADS EVERY TIME YOU COME HERE! It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Yes, you certainly are a chronic worrier, aren't you. If you're worried about hiv, go test. It sounds to me like you're once again worrying over nothing. However, you won't be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about your latest hiv fantasy. OK? Good.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jtimons

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »
I got tested at a local AIDs clinic.  It was an Orasure Oral swab test.  My question is--- how do I know if the test was performed correctly?  The result came back negative, but could that be because I didn't administer the test the right way?  Should I retest?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 03:29:03 am »
JT,

The oral swab tests are pretty much fool-proof. A chimpanzee could administer them correctly.

You've been coming here for two and a half years now with the same unwarranted transmission worries and doubts about your test results. Enough is enough already. You will no longer be permitted to use this forum as a substitute for the one-on-one mental health therapy you so obviously need. We cannot and will not address your hiv paranoia here. That's not what this site is all about.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:32:39 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.